General > Movies and TV

Books made into movies sorta suck...

(1/15) > >>

rumborak:
Anyone else always a bit bummed at how a movie adaptation kinda replaces the rich world you yourself created in your head when you read the book? This has happened to me with both LOTR and Harry Potter. I had this rich tapestry of places and characters in my mind, but once I watched the movie it all got replaced by Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom.

rumborak

73109:
Not really. I mean, of course we think of characters in our head, but I, like you, replace them with their movie characters if I re-read anything. It doesn't bother me really.

Ravenheart:
I usually just judge adaptations on their own merits, not by how well they mimic the book, but I know what you mean.

Jamesman42:
This happened to me with Timeline and The Andromeda Strain. They were decent enough movies and helped create a solid reality to connect what I read to what I saw, but the books are always better. I think it happens because the movie only has so much time to let the story unfold.

rumborak:

--- Quote from: 73109 on June 27, 2011, 12:43:23 PM ---Not really. I mean, of course we think of characters in our head, but I, like you, replace them with their movie characters if I re-read anything. It doesn't bother me really.

--- End quote ---

Really? It definitely bugs me that this "invention" of mine got forcefully replaced by a version that I always perceive as less compelling.

rumborak

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version