Author Topic: ClairvoyantCat's top 50 albums v. This will be in a museum someday  (Read 24906 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ClairvoyantCat's top 50 albums v. This will be in a museum someday
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2011, 06:25:59 AM »
Diorama is a good album.

I love Dead Air For Radios

Susanne Sundfor was pretty good from what you sent me in my roulette

I don't like Converge.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
Cool update!  :tup

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »
Just caught up with the thread, seems I have a lot of music to check out.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »
fuck yes jane doe

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2011, 05:07:35 PM »
The Chroma Key, Silverchair and Ulver albums are fantastic!

Don't know the other two.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Rich, listen to The Brothel right now.

RIGHT NOW! Easily one of the best albums from 2010.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »
Rich, listen to The Brothel right now.

RIGHT NOW! Easily one of the best albums from 2010.

This guy knows what's up. 

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »
Hi

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Why does everyone with threads like this slack?  :lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »
It's annoying because I wanna do mine and I know I'd keep up on it! :grr:
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2011, 05:21:19 PM »
It's annoying because I wanna do mine and I know I'd keep up on it! :grr:

I know.  I've already finished mine and keep adding things and changing my reviews.  I can probably publish a book by the time it's my turn.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »
UPDATE TIME AGAIN HERE WE GO

24.  Tosca Tango Orchestra – Waking Life soundtrack

This will be the first film soundtrack to appear on this list.  For good reason, too.  Performed by Tosca Tango Orchestra and written by Glover Gill, Waking Life is a standard-setting OST, fitting perfectly to the theme and nature of its film as well as being an interesting stand-alone piece without the visuals present.  The album is performed entirely with a group of various stringed instruments, some admirable piano playing and some accordion thrown in for good measure.  As the name would suggest, the music has a real tango flair to it.  The melodies are perfectly structured in congruence with the dreamy nature of the film.  Waking Life sets a very high standard in the field of movie soundtracks.

Favorites: Ballad 4 part 1, Nocturna

23.  Bjork – Vespertine

After soaking this album in over a period of about half a year, I've come to the decision that it really deserves a high spot such as this.  This album is absolutely cathartic to me now.  Being considerably quieter than most of Bjork's other output, with Vespertine Bjork chooses to focus on creating an album that is mellow and intimate, bringing in a mixed bag of emotions from hope to anger to despair, all under its umbrella of mellow, pop-driven electronic music.  With one of the most recognizable voices among female singers, Bjork wails and croons over the beautifully ambient electronic sampling and the quiet string flourishes.  My favorite Bjork song, Unison, happens to be on it as well.  As my undoubted favorite from Bjork, this is an album that deserves its spot here simply for being so goddamn beautiful.  The only downside is that this is a such a winter album.  It almost feels wrong to be listening during the summer.  

Favorites:  Unison,  Cocoon

22.  The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

I like my post-punky indie rock.  Oh yes, I do.  And what we have here is the best album I've ever come across under that style.  This album absolutely drips with energy and emotion.  It's much more intense than nearly every metal record out there, even under its well-embraced style of quirky indie pop, a style which it explores in every way possible during its running time.  The singing is far from refined, but it is filled with the raw emotion to match the music and showcases quite a lot of diversity.  The instrumentation is equally brilliant, including some kickass bass that I'm not usually one to notice about.  Overall, this album is an absolute masterpiece and a must-hear for anyone who is into quirky, raw indie rock.  

Favorites:  The City, The Jitters

21.  Sweet Trip Velocity : Design : Comfort

I picked this album up on a friends recommendation, having been told that it was the best electronic album out there.  With my interest thoroughly aroused, I put on V:D:C one frosty winter morn and was immediately taken to a colorful, futuristic city on top of a pink, fluffy cloud where the fountains were made of lemonade.  This album really has that sort of feeling to it, where the break-beats and electronic experimentation have such a modern, crowded feeling to them, contrasting the lovely shoegaze underneath that feels so dreamy and free.  Also, it's worth mentioning that To All the Dancers of the World, a Round Form of Fantasy is one of the most beautiful songs out there.  Really lovely album.

Favorites:  To All the Dancers of the World, a Round Form of Fantasy, Chocolate Matter

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38:09 AM »
Vespertine is incredible. Good choice. I agree about it being an essential wintertime album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2011, 10:45:43 AM »
Some interesting picks there!  :tup

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2011, 10:56:16 AM »
Just listened to Cocoon and Unison and loved them... they give me a Kid A vibe and the vocals are very interesting (I don't have much music with female vocalists), will definitely get the whole album.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »
SWEET TRIP
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
These top 50 threads are like neglected children.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2011, 11:35:33 PM »
Neglected children are like top 50 threads.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »
yea, cmon guys
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2011, 06:13:29 AM »
Hell ja for Waking Life.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
Dead Air For Radios is my current favorite from Chroma Key.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2011, 07:30:38 PM »
Quick and juicy update, rich with modest mice and music industry bombing:

20.  Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

The Lonesome Crowded West is the first Modest Mouse album of two that will make an appearance on this list.  This selection has a considerably more "raw" sound than the one that will follow.  The guitars are punchy and choppy, the vocals are unpolished and range from yelling to crooning and the production is very unrefined and "jammy"-sounding.  It all really works.  The one gripe I have with this album that placed the other one marginally higher is that "Trucker's Atlas," clocking in at about 12 minutes, can be a bit too much if you're aren't in the mood for it.  But that is a very minor complaint against a near-perfect album of raw indie rock. 

Favorites:  Bankrupt on Selling, Trailer Trash

19.  Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

I often having trouble deciding which album comes out on top between this selection and the previous one, but I do believe that, more often than not, I will opt for this one, the moodier and darker of the two and possibly ultimately more rewarding.  This album comes with a considerably more polished and intricate sound than The Lonesome Crowded West but retains the same raw and honest nature.  The lyrics, centered around mortality and depression, are incredibly well written and the music has a strong atmosphere.  Every song is fantastic. 

Favorites:  I Came as a Rat, Lives

18.  Bomb the Music Industry! - Scrambles

Yes, yes, there is a hardcore punk album on my list.  Shoot me.  Oh, but before you do, allow me to explain why I love this album and it should be given a fair chance regardless of your misconceptions about the "hardcore" and "punk" styles.  Goodbye Cool World is full of some of the liveliest and energetic music I know of.  With a complete do-it-yourself mentality, BtmI! consists of nothing more than a plethora of musicians coming in and out, ranging from horn sections and violinists to death growlers and mandolin players and you-name-it.  The result is a carefree mashing of punk, metal, ska, folk, 8-bit and anything else that they can pull off with the instrumentalists they have at their disposal.  Scrambles just might be the most fun album I own.  Recommended to anyone who doesn't immediately disregard punk music for whatever reason. 

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
Yes, yes, there is a hardcore punk album on my list.  Shoot me.  Oh, but before you do, allow me to explain why I love this album and it should be given a fair chance regardless of your misconceptions about the "hardcore" and "punk" styles.

This was soooooo directed at me. :P
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
BTMI! FTFW!!! I love those guys. I saw Jeff play an acoustic solo show, and it was one of the funnest shows I've ever been to. It was full of sing a longs and other fun stuff. Also they have so much energy as a band it's just so fun to rock out with them.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Awesome!  I didn't expect any recognition here, I guess I was wrong!   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2011, 04:53:33 AM »
Seriously... finish up already!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wjc

« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2011, 05:37:49 AM »
I don't know if I'm following this but I am now
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »
Big update because I've been lazy

17.  Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Hounds of Love is my absolute favorite album to emerge from the genre of pop in the 80s.  For once, we have an album that has been endowed with excessive critical acclaim and a likewise excessive following that actually deserves it.  Split up in to two discs in a very well-divided manner, disk one displays some of the best accessible pop around, while the second represents uncanny diversity and creativity and ultimately surpasses the first.  This has been one of my favorites since I was in the single digits and I don't see it going anywhere. 

16.  Demians - Mute

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I have never heard a greater improvement from a debut to a sophomore release than what Chapel did with Mute.  The most immediately impressive thing is that everything came out of one man alone.  While this has been done before, we're talking not only guitars and drums and such but pianos and strings and all sorts of things.  But the instrumentation isn't the focus of this album.  The focus is the songwriting.  The album is full of beautiful melodies and stunning arrangements, from dense, nearly sludgy tunes (Hesitation Waltz) to electronica-influenced songs (Porcelain) to fragile and emotive ballads.  (Black over Gold)  It's all there on the Frenchman's sophomore release, and if he continues on this path of improvement it'll pretty much be unfair to other people who make music by his 4th album. 

15.  Yann Tiersen - Le Phare

While on the subject of French multi-instrumentalists, we have Yann Tiersen up next.  Yann is perhaps my favorite composer working primarily in the genre of classical music.  While one of the gripes I have with classical music is that it can fall into the trap of the arrangements feeling too "tight" and methodical, Yann's music always sounds fun and lively in the fuller tunes and sparse and emotive in the soft piano ballads.  Le Phare is my favorite release of his by a hair against the soundtrack to Amelie, and I'd include them side by side if they weren't so similar. 

14.  Sigur Ros - ( )

This album is held in very high regard and is considerably popular to the forum, so I won't delve too indulgently into why this album has a place on the list, but I will say that if there is one thing I want you to take away from this, it is that there is no way in sweet goddamn that this album is pretentious.  You know who you are.  It is beautiful and heartfelt and honest and emotive and also beautiful, if I didn't already mention that.  That is what it is. 

13.  Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel 

Tori herself has described this release as ‘the most personal and my favourite of all my works.’  I have to give it to Tori Amos here for having the correct opinion on Tori Amos. 

13.  Ulver - Shadows of the Sun

Being their most somber and subdued record to date, Shadows of the Sun isn't the most common pick for a favorite Ulver album.  Yet, here it is.  The absolute essential night record to me.  Subtle glitch-oriented electronica is interspersed with soft, melodic piano and delicate strings, among other instruments that range to even an occasional theremin.  Some favorites include the dark and rhythmic "Let the Children Go," the brilliant cover of "Solitude" that nearly justifies the existence of Black Sabbath and the best Ulver track, "Vigil."

12.  Pain of Salvation - BE

This album is an incredible feat in every way, from the inherently massive artistic undertaking it presents to the brilliance in which it is pulled off.  There is not a weak song on it, and the stylistic scope of the record ranges from hymn-like folk tunes to intense metal songs, with maybe a Broadway-ready theatrical blues number or a Philip Glass-sounding classical piano piece in between. 

11.  Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith

Seeing the album art, which depicts a man plummeting towards the pavement from a building above, it's easy to draw the conclusion that it is an allusion to Elliott's personal life, as represented in his self-titled release.  An intensely personal album about the tragically depressed songwriter, you can taste the singer's bitter desperation as he plummets towards a self-induced death. 

10.  Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-้ (Legacy Edition)

As we're now on the subject of fantastic singers who tragically died at a young age, Jeff Buckley's name must come up.  Only ever releasing one album in his lifetime, Buckley took a brief dance with popular success before drowning in a river at a tender age and being laid to rest as a legacy, with the most loyal and passionate group of admirers a dead man could ever ask for. 

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
Great picks, again! :tup ( ) is a masterpiece and I agree that this Ulver album is a perfect right record!

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »
Awesome update!
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
Great update.
( ) is very high for me, a lot of the others on the list are ace as well.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
Kate Bush? Sigur Ros? Tori Amos? Ulver? Pain of Salvation?

Fantastic update.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
One of the best updates ever
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »
I think I'm going to work my way through the albums in this thread that I don't know. Haven't seen a bad word said about any of them yet.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »
GRRRR