Author Topic: ClairvoyantCat's top 50 albums v. This will be in a museum someday  (Read 24907 times)

Kosmo

Re: ClairvoyantCat's top 50 albums v. This will be in a museum someday
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2011, 03:38:50 AM »
Best list so far.

A most shocking post!
Why is it shocking?
They're both giant indies. Never approach them, just look from afar.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2011, 04:08:13 AM »
Best list so far.
A most shocking post!
Why is it shocking?
They're both giant indies. Never approach them, just look from afar.
And so we watch them from afar.

But if you're lucky enough to be approved, go join their forum:

You won't know any of the music, but there's plenty of irony and spectacles to go around.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »
35.  The Antlers – Hospice

Lay down a firm indie backbone, fill up the crevices with post-rockish ambience that never gets repetitive or indulgent, add the vocals of a more subdued Jeff Buckley and package it all up in a nice, flowing concept about relationship turmoils represented by a heartbreaking fictional story of a hospice worker who falls in love with a patient and you’ve got Hospice.   The frontman Peter Silberman is the heart and soul of the music.  The album is overwhelmingly mature and realized, never coming off as overly melodramatic but instead consistently reaching through with raw honesty. 

34.  Her Name is Calla – The Quiet Lamb

My first introduction to this band was by the means of a music blog.  The blogger behind this blog described The Quiet Lamb as some of the best “post-folk” he’d ever heard.  Though my heart initially leapt at the prospect of such a genre and the massive indie cred that would come from listening to it, my afterthought was admittedly “what the fucking piss does post-folk actually sound like?”  So then I streamed the song Long Grass and fell in love.  This is some of the most beautiful music out there.  One thing that you ought to be warned about is that it is very patient.  Unlike other throwaway “post” bands who feel the need to reach the same “reverb-heavy distortion/crash cymbal climax” at the end of every song, Her Name is Calla only resorts to such a climatic section when it feels right.  The result is that the climaxes are much more emotive and natural.  That is not to say that it is all about the climaxes, of course.  In the album’s most subdued and lonely folk moments it is just as touching, a good example of which being “Condor and River” a long track that has just the right touch of dynamics all the way through, from the lovely, quiet piano sections to the lush blending of violin and lovely voices to the climax which does not overstay its welcome or over-impose itself, but merely does what’s right when it feels right.  Expect more from 2010. 

33.  Gregory and the Hawk – Moenie and Kitchi

Meredith Godreau possesses what I consider to be a near perfect folk voice.  Since you aren’t usually going to be doing very many vocal acrobatics or showcasing range or versatility or anything of that nature, you’ve really just got to have the right sound.  Meredith does.  Her voice sounds pleasantly cheerful, emotively sentimental and just plain pretty at various moments throughout the album.  But that’s enough about the voice, because there much else to love about this album!  The music is the perfect companion to her voice, showcasing strong songwriting in well-written melodies with very subtle instrumentation that gives the sound just enough substance while keeping in touch with folk’s minimal nature.  You've got “August Moon,” a song that works perfectly with a single voice and a single acoustic guitar and “Stone Wall, Stone Fence,” a much moodier track that builds on its minimal but effective guitar line with some heavier percussion and electric guitars.  If anyone is ever looking for good, well written folk music with lovely vocals then Moenie and Kitchi would be one of my first suggestions.

As you can see I'm starting to put a lot more effort into the writeups so if no one's actually reading them please let me know so I can save myself some time kthanks
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:43:28 PM by ClairvoyantCat »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »
I'm reading the descriptions, you fucking cat frog. I enjoy them. They're well-written.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »
great string of albums there :tup

i like the write ups too
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »
I'm reading the descriptions, you fucking cat frog. I enjoy them. They're well-written.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »
How did I know those 3 bands would be there?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »
I might have mentioned them once or twice maybe

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »
Hospice is great!
Her Name is Calla are great.
Only heard a couple of individual songs from Gregory and the Hawk, but again.. very good stuff.  :hat

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
Best list so far, all great albums.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2011, 03:40:16 PM »
I'll reading that bitch.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
Update time!

Best time of the day!  Alright here we go buckle your seatbelts

32.  Jonsi – Go

Here we go with more 2010.  Seriously, that year just couldn’t stop kicking ass.  It actually got quite annoying after a while.  Anyway, I know that there’s a lot of familiarity with Sigur Ros around these parts but Jonsi’s solo album really needs more love.  Jonsi separates his solo work from his dreamy and sprawling Sigur Ros quite easily with Go; it is much more focused and pop-driven.  The songs are mostly lively, energetic, and full of color, taking frequent breaks to allow the slower, more sentimental songs to fill in, full of beautiful orchestration courtesy of the brilliant composer Nico Muhly.   Jonsi’s singing voice is as charismatic as ever when vocalizing in predominantly English words, with much more of an emphasis on full voice singing than the trademark falsetto of Sigur Ros.  The chief word to describe this album is definitely “colorful.”  From the moment the album begins it blossoms into a rainbow of lovely and original pop music and never stops. 

31.  Shiina Ringo – Shousa Strip

Shiina Ringo (also referred to as 椎名林檎 or Ringo Sheena or Yumiko Shiina or whatever you want to call her) is my favorite “j-rock” artist by a long shot.  Shousa Strip is my favorite j-rock album by a long shot.  Now sit down and let me tell you why.  Shousa strip is the kind of album that swirls up a bunch of styles and moods and genres into flowing pop songs and thinks nothing of it.  It is the kind of album that brings in a latin influence one moment, an electro-influence the next, then maybe a little hard rock riff to mix things up and a jazzy flavor throughout all of this and actually sounds good and fitting while doing it.  It is experimental, catchy, quirky and grandiose.  Her voice is expressive and emotional and the fact that she is singing in another language does no harm to her skill in communicating the feeling of the song.  Shousa strip is stunningly consistent, irresistibly cute, immersive full and mature and most of all just a fun album all around.  If anyone is not too wary of trying out something very different then I couldn’t tell them to listen to this enough.

30.  Porcupine Tree – Lightbulb Sun

Since I don’t expect anyone reading this list to not be familiar with Porcupine Tree and I’m tired of writing things I’m going to make this short.  So, basically, this is my favorite album from mister Steven Wilson for many reasons and my general “go to” album when I’m in a Porcupine Tree mood.  It is an all-around fantastic example of really good songwriting and production.  Also, Buying New Soul must be thrown in with the album to make it Lightbulb Sun because it is quite possibly my favorite Porcupine Tree song and I love it so much. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »
This list sucks now.

I never really got into Go.  Just wasn't my thing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
Never been able to get into Go either, but again I haven't really sat down and listen to it in full.
Heard a couple of songs from it, especially the one that is featured in Fifa 11 (must have heard it 300 times by now), and it's just not as interesting as Sigur Rós to me.

Lightbulb Sun is a good album, have not heard the other album, but I don't have much experience in the J-rock scene.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:41 PM »
A good friend of mine has been raving about Shiina Ringo for some time now, but I've never really gotten into her enough (same with Go, actually.) This will have to change.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
Just listen to Shousa Strip and don't ever regret it.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
I remember someone, possibly you, played a song from Jonsi's solo album in Daedalus radio, and I loved every second of it. I really need to hear the full album. Great to see Lighbulb Sun, and Shiina Ringo sounds very interesting.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »
Go is AWESOME!! And so is Lightbulb Sun! :tup

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
clairvoyantdouche

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »
I've been meaning to check out Shiina Ringo for a while, now I shall.

After I'm done binging on Fair to Midland and trance of course.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
I remember the first time I heard Meredith Godreau's voice. My jaw dropped.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »
I've been meaning to check out Shiina Ringo for a while, now I shall.

After I'm done binging on Fair to Midland and trance of course.
I can't remember if you like Dubstep or not. YOU'D BETTER LIKE WHAT I LIKE.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »
Sorry guys, I had a lapse in my memory of this list's existence.  I offer penance for my sin in the form of a massive and sexy 5-album update.

29.  Chroma Key – Dead Air for Radios

Kevin Moore?  Kevin Moore.  You all probably haven’t heard of this guy, but he did some work with some band called “Dream Theatre,” I think the name was.  Anyway, they’re not important, what’s important right now is Chroma Key.  Kevin really separated himself from his previous influences and brought out what I regard as his best work to date.  This album has a sound that I think could best be described as “lonely.”  The delicate synths never once betray Moore’s sheer ability behind the keyboard (besides some impressive but nonetheless tasteful and well-implemented piano work in “On The Page”) but instead lend themselves to the loneliness perfectly, along with Moore’s recognizably subtle and effect-driven croon.  The lyrics are fantastic and really worth the attention, especially in congruence with Moore’s delivery.  Also, Kevin Moore.
Favorites:  On the Page, Undertow

28.  Ulver – Blood Inside

This was always the Ulver album that I continually put off getting into.  After taking a stab at a few songs I rendered the album too dense for immediate penetration (heh) and put it off as a grower.  However, I would later discover that all it really took was one full proper listen for me to be completely immersed.  Blood Inside is a mix of violent drums and cymbals, beautiful ambience, a slight 50s –esque influence that feels really cool in the presence of the more modern elements and just a touch of heaviness.  The album is commendably well produced so that all of the subtleties have their own place to be noticed when the time is right.  The drumming is also noteworthy, as it has the sound of being sampley and electronic yet jazzy and organic at the same time.  Really cool album, in short. 

Favorites:  The Truth, Dressed in Black

27.  Silverchair - Diorama

Somewhere along the way from their debut in 1995, Silverchair decided they were tired of being the best grunge band I’ve ever heard and they wanted to do something much different.  Out of this decision came “Diorama.”  Abandoning the chunky, grungy rock of their early years, they introduce a whole new take on their style, filling the sound with sweeping orchestrated arrangements and a general grandiose feel, complete with well written and playfully (but not overindulgently) quirky melodies that keep the listener’s interest exactly where it should be.   The heaviness is still present from their early records, but it is dispersed well between the sentimental piano balladry and the more epic and grand tunes.  This is an album of strong pop sensibilities and subtle creativity. 

Favorites:  Tuna in The Brine, Across the Night

26.  Converge – Jane Doe

As a whole, this album nearly lives up to the heaping amount of praise that is bestowed upon it by its fans.  And, if you’ve ever heard a Converge fan talk about this album, you’ll know that is nearly quite an accomplishment. Don’t let the genre names scare you off.  Converge is a milestone among all of the weak “core” bands that soil the genre’s name.  The music is lively, well written, complex, and most of all really emotive.  The variations from track to track are breathtaking, the instrumentation is mind-numbing and overall the album just rawks. 

Favorites:  Jane Doe, Homewrecker

25.  Susanne Sundfor – The Brothel

I tend to pimp this girl a lot, and I wouldn’t be surprised if many of you were aware of the high regard in which I hold her 2010 release, The Brothel.  In my opinion, with this second release, she has established herself as one of the most talented and mature singer-songwriters around right now.  She has a real unique identity as a pop singer when compared to the more samey sounding artists of the style.  The Brothel has a dark and often even “spooky” vibe to it.  While her self-titled debut was the standard affair of simple guitar/piano structured songs, she brings in orchestration and electronics among other influences to play with in her sophomore effort, and the result is a much more captivating and atmospheric release and a huge improvement in quality for the already promising artist. 

Favorites:  Father Father, Turkish Delight, The Brothel

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2011, 08:41:20 PM »
Great list so far!! VERY glad to see Blood Inside on the list too! :tup

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »
Kevin Moore?  Kevin Moore.  You all probably haven’t heard of this guy, but he did some work with some band called “Majesty” I think the name was.

That's more like it.  :neverusethis:

Really, though, I am interested in jumping into Kev's solo work.  Would Dead Air for Radios be the album you'd recommend most for Kevin-virgins?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2011, 08:54:20 PM »
Kevin Moore?  Kevin Moore.  You all probably haven’t heard of this guy, but he did some work with some band called “Majesty” I think the name was.

That's more like it.  :neverusethis:

Really, though, I am interested in jumping into Kev's solo work.  Would Dead Air for Radios be the album you'd recommend most for Kevin-virgins?

Yeap.  All three of the albums are great work, but if you're a "Kevin-virgin" Dead Air for Radios will pop your Chroma Key cherry and you'll be having wild sex with the rest of his post-Dream Theater work. 

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »
Blood Inside and The Brothel are two fantastic albums. I've been meaning to get that Chroma Key album for awhile after enjoying You Go Now.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2011, 08:58:12 PM »
Jane Doe :tup

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2011, 01:24:52 AM »
nice update bro
space cadet, pull out.

Offline OskarSluring

« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2011, 04:08:49 AM »
Wow, i didn't even know you checked Jane Doe out, Seth. Really cool that you put it on this list :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2011, 05:15:39 AM »
Big love for Diorama and you description is spot on perfect.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC