Author Topic: LLTWM's Top 52 Favourite Albums  (Read 17479 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
LLTWM's Top 52 Favourite Albums
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
Yes, this is a top 52. :P Yes, there will be lots of prog. And yes, you likely won't have heard a number of albums on this list. :P I'm going to go through my list at a fairly quick pace as I want to get it done before July 6th. So without further ado, here's 52 through 50.

52. Radiohead - The Bends

Alright so this is one of their more simple, accessible albums, but I love it to death and have since I was a little kid. This album has a fair bit of sentimental value with me as it was one of the first albums I really loved. The songs are quite accessible for the most part but they have a certain charm to them that very few bands can emulate.
Favourite tracks: (Nice Dream), Fake Plastic Trees, High and Dry, Planet Telex
51. National Health - National Health

This is one of my favourites of the Canterbury scene. About 90% of the album is instrumental, with the occasional female vocals that take getting used to, but you soon find they fit very well with the music. The musicians are quite skilled, the songs are long but listenable, and it's quite the fun album overall. Some might think there's a little too much wankery going on, which is fine, but the Canterbury scene is mostly made up of bands like this.
Favourite tracks: Tenemos Roads, Elephants
50. Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire

I don't really know what to say about this one. It's jazz. And damned high quality jazz at that. This is an album that should grasp any jazz fan right from the self-titled opener, with some great guitar work by John McLaughlin. The drumming on this album is pretty spectacular too, especially on One Word, one of the coolest songs I've ever heard for drumming. It's got a nice balance of more active, loud jazz and quieter, calmer songs. Amazing album.
Favourite Tracks: One Word, Birds of Fire, Sanctuary
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:44:50 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: LLTWM's Top 52 Favourite Albums
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
Awesome! I'm really looking forward to this! :tup

FAKE EDIT: Already a cool pick with Radiohead!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:28:59 PM »
Will be following.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 03:31:32 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
Also a heads-up: There will be no 2011 releases on this list as I feel I haven't had enough time to know for sure where they'd belong. Although there was an album this year that may have unexpectedly become my #1 album ever. :neverusethis:

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »
 :metal

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
<3 The Bends
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
Birds of Fire is absolutely amazing.

But jazz =/= jazz fusion. This is absolutely jazz fusion.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
True dat. I always just call it jazz anyway though cause I'm lazy. :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:21:31 PM »
Also a heads-up: There will be no 2011 releases on this list as I feel I haven't had enough time to know for sure where they'd belong. Although there was an album this year that may have unexpectedly become my #1 album ever. :neverusethis:

Good call.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »
Will most likely follow this.
The Bends is great, but even though I love Radiohead, I'd easily rank it my least favorite out of their albums. (have not heard Pablo Honey yet though)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »
The Bends is a great album. Good choice.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »
Fuck yeah Radiohead and Mahavishnu! :hat

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 10:27:57 PM »
49. Tool - Lateralus

I'm sure you've all heard of this one. It's a pretty close to flawless metal album. The fact is my mom introduced me to Tool through this album, and I loved it to death. We still listen to this album together quite often. :D It actually took me quite a while to decide between this an Aenima, but this one wins out for the fact it has higher highs I find. Danny Carey's intense drumming is a huge part of why this album kicks so much ass, especially on Ticks and Leeches. Maynard's vocals are, as always, awesome everywhere. Recommended for any fan of metal.
Favourite tracks: Parabola, Schism, Lateralus
48. Cardiacs - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window

One of the most fun prog albums I own. A fusion between prog and punk isn't something many would be able to pull off, but Cardiacs do it perfectly. It's weird, it's pretty avant-garde, but it's a really fun album with lots of oddly catchy sections. I do prefer this to their other masterpiece album, Sing to God, but not by much. I'm not really sure what else to say other than I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a nice, unique approach to prog or punk.
Favourite tracks: R.E.S., Is This the Life?
47. Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico

I actually didn't like this album at all at first. It just seemed lacking somehow every time I listened. I guess I acquired a taste for it though because now it's here. All of the songs are of pretty much equal quality IMO. They each have a different sound to them, but a similar sort of beauty to them. The only real exception in the beauty department is the rocker "Generale!", which sounds like an instrumental straight out of Gentle Giant's discography, but is a really fun track. Definitely a must-have for classic prog fans.
Favourite tracks: All are pretty equal quality.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 10:35:46 PM »
Lateralus!  :metal :metal

Lovin the fast updates!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
And yes, you likely won't have heard a number of albums on this list. :P

No kidding :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 05:27:27 AM »
Following! Hopefully will take some recommendations away with me. <3 Mahavishnu

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 07:04:37 AM »
Lateralus!  :metal :metal

Lovin the fast updates!
This. Finally a list with some speed, unlike Sigz'

Offline jsem

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
Premiata Forneria Marconi is what prog is all about. In fact, RPI = epic.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 11:16:57 AM »
Yes, I'll probably fit in two updates a day all I can. :D

46. Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei

So, Krautrock is amazing. This and Yeti are pretty close in quality, but I find this one just edges it out. I used to hate this album, but now I love it. Sure it's a little weird and wacky (especially Dem Guten, Schonen, Wahren) and if you don't like long jams, you will hate this album, and you will want to kill the title track with fire, as it's pretty much a 20 minute jam. This album is pretty much what Krautrock is all about, only it has this sort of darkness that really adds an extra sort of charm to it.
Favourite tracks: "Dem Guten, Schonen, Wahren", "Kanaan"
45. Opeth - Blackwater Park

This is the album that pulled me out of my little Opeth-hating phase, so this was big for me. I'm sure you all know why this album kicks ass (assuming you like it of course. The songs are structured perfectly, the heavy and soft parts always coming in exactly when called for, and the riffs are amazing. The title track has become one of my favourite metal songs of all time, as every riff in it is :metal -worthy. If you haven't gotten into Opeth yet, this is definitely the best album to start with. Of course, I only own two of their albums so I could be wrong, but it turned me into a non-hater.
Favourite tracks: Blackwater Park, Bleak, The Leper Affinity, The Drapery Falls
44. Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

So I got this album for 5 whole dollars. And I thought I paid way too much. When I first heard it it was one of the most boring, sleep-inducing albums I had heard in my life. How could I possibly like it? I then proceeded to read reviews though, which I guess helped to open my mind a little, and I found myself enjoying it slightly. Sea Song, Alife, and Alifib were enjoyable. But I still wasn't so keen on the other tracks. But I guess repeated listens soon fixed that, because now I think it's a beautiful piece of work. Robert Wyatt had fallen out of a fourth story window and lost the use of his legs, so he could never drum again. In the hospital, he wrote this album. It's not really a depressing album although it's definitely pretty relaxed. You'll also have to get used to Robert's voice if you've never heard it, some love it and some hate it. It's really an acquired taste, but it's worth it.
Favourite tracks: Sea Song, Little Red Robin Hood Hit the Road, Alifib, Alife

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
For every update there's one album that I've heard and two that I haven't!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 11:18:24 AM »
Blackwater Park :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »
For every update there's one album that I've heard and two that I haven't!
This

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
Sorry for updating so fast, but I may not be here later. And I'm determined to update twice a day! :lol
43. Can - Tago Mago

This is one of the most original and ahead of it's time albums ever made. There is no other album like it and it's awesome. It goes through avant-garde to almost funk effortlessly and makes this album, while long, interesting in every minute of it. Halleluhwah has one of the most addicting drum beats ever. In description, Halleluhwah sounds like a nightmare, as it's mostly the same kind of thing for 18 minutes. But it manages to be an amazing song anyway and one of my favourite songs ever made by anyone. Then there's the song Oh Yeah, which is the same backwards as it is forwards. I feel terrible for putting this album so low.
Favourite tracks: Halleluhwah, Aumgn, Oh Yeah
42. Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill

I don't care what anyone says. Pantera is amazing and this is their best album. Plus, it's got Floods. You can hate on Pantera all you want but if you hate that song you have no soul. 10s is another song that is amazing beyond belief. Anyways, this album kicks serious ass right from the getgo. The opening scream is one of my favourite openings to an album of all time. Probably my favourite opening to an album ever if it weren't for number 41.
Favourite tracks: Floods, 10s, The Great Southern Trendkill
41. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Most epic. Intro. Ever. I don't even argue that. The intro to Shine On You Crazy Diamond is so epic it'd be impossible not to listen to the rest of the album after hearing it. The rest of the album ain't too shabby of course either, especially with the title track. Everyones heard that song, and it might be the best song ever played on the radio. I declare this album essential for everyone.
Favourite tracks: Shine On You Crazy Diamond (both parts), Wish You Were Here

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
Lovin' these quick updates. 

Also I actually know all of these!  Can is awesome, one of my favorites from the 60s/70s era.  I'm not going to bitch about how I can't stand Pantera, so moving on, Pink Floyd is really cool too!  WYWH is my favorite of theirs, so it's great to see that one show up! 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »
WYWH  :heart
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
Also I actually know all of these!  Can is awesome, one of my favorites from the 60s/70s era.
I didn't know you liked them. :) They're actually one of my top 5 bands of all time.

Offline jsem

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 03:23:12 PM »
Can is good. Not specifically my cup of tea though.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 03:40:29 PM »
WYWH is a masterpiece and Can were a pretty interesting band.

Pantera I actually really like, but I can't stand that album. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »
Amon Duul II - Phallus Day is an epic album. Way ahead of it's time for 1969. I think I might also prefer it to Yeti  :tup

Tago Mago & Wish You Were would be much higher for me! Top 25 territory. Never really got into post-Far Beyond Driven Pantera.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »
when i was hardcore into pantera (circa 10-15 years back), i always declared trendkill to be they is best.

though for some reason in the past couple years, if i'm ever in something of a pantera mood, i usually find myself reaching for reinventing the steel.

cool list thus far -  i love (and hate) having so much more music to try and check out.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
BWP, WYWH and Pantera  :tup :tup

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Great and refreshing to see lots of Krautrock on here, not the same old fucking album being posted where over and over we see the same discussion of whatever typical top 50 album there is on whomever's list.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 05:55:29 AM »
This should be an interesting list.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!