Author Topic: I love remakes!  (Read 4062 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
I love remakes!
« on: June 25, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
I'm so excited!

Footloose

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:01:18 PM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Those are the lyrics, right?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:58:50 PM »
Hoo boy! Time to kick off my Sunday shoes!
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline TheMadgician

Re: I love remakes!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »
Never saw the original, so I can't exactly compare. But that looks awful.

And can it be any worse than the Death At A Funeral remake? Remake a movie 3 years after the original was released but with a black cast and added racism. Makes sense.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
8|

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »
Holy crapola. Has the director ever seen the original? Looks like a mix between Dirty Dancing, Dukes of Hazard and a Beyonce video.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
I'd actually like to see a good quality remake of Logan's Run. The original realllllly suffers from a low budget and everyone who wasn't Peter Ustinov. Of course the remake would suffer from a complete lack of Peter Ustinov.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »
Dude, good call on that one. That was a great movie, and yeah, could really benefit from a remake.
Even though, the original also benefited from Jenny Agutter and her skimpy clothing :)

rumborak

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »
Holy crapola. Has the director ever seen the original? Looks like a mix between Dirty Dancing, Dukes of Hazard and a Beyonce video.

rumborak

This is what I was thinking.  Looked more like Step Up 4

Offline JosephAOI

• DTF's resident Jewish Ninja
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:47:07 PM »
I really really REALLY want to see a remake of Lord Of The Rings in a couple years. I just have a feeling that if a great director could tell it more detailed than Peter Jackson's version and still keep the talent at the same quality, it could turn out AMAZING.

On another note: the True Grit remake was awesome.

Offline SDFprowler

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »
Apparently there's a Conan the Barbarian remake this year.
Try as they might, but they can't replace this:

Epic laugh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOfmy6zlh_k

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 02:18:47 AM »
I really really REALLY want to see a remake of Lord Of The Rings in a couple years. I just have a feeling that if a great director could tell it more detailed than Peter Jackson's version and still keep the talent at the same quality, it could turn out AMAZING.

True Grit wasn't a remake.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 05:46:17 AM »
Apparently there's a Conan the Barbarian remake this year.
Try as they might, but they can't replace this:

Epic laugh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOfmy6zlh_k

Conan remake has Kahl Drogo. Therefore, I'm watching it.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 08:42:37 AM »

lol what?  True Grit was absolutely a remake.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:49:29 AM »
True Grit was either a remake or a movie based off the book that the John Wayne classic movie True Grit was also based off of.  :P

Either way it was just as good as the original.  It did a lot of things better than the original, though.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »
And can it be any worse than the Death At A Funeral remake? Remake a movie 3 years after the original was released but with a black cast and added racism. Makes sense.
That was an awesome remake. :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 09:55:19 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, there is a Logan's Run remake in the works.  For some reason, Bryan Singer's name is resonating with that in my head.

True Grit wasn't a remake of the John Wayne film.  It is a new production based on the novel that the John Wayne film was also based on.

The new Conan film is not a remake of the Schwarzzeneger film.  It is a new production based on the original Conan stories that Schwarzzeneger film bastardized.

And WTF at hoping for a remake of LOTR.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JosephAOI

• DTF's resident Jewish Ninja
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 10:26:51 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, there is a Logan's Run remake in the works.  For some reason, Bryan Singer's name is resonating with that in my head.

True Grit wasn't a remake of the John Wayne film.  It is a new production based on the novel that the John Wayne film was also based on.

The new Conan film is not a remake of the Schwarzzeneger film.  It is a new production based on the original Conan stories that Schwarzzeneger film bastardized.

I'm a huge LOTR fan so it always interests me to see or imagine what someone else could bring to the story. PJ added some things that made it a little different that I really liked. Also, I'd love to see how another Director would imagine some of the places and who he/she would cast for everyone.

Offline jeebustrain

• King of Disappointment
  • EZBoard Elder
  • suck it
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 10:36:25 AM »
I'm so excited!

Footloose

:facepalm:

the extreme lack of Kenny Loggins makes this an absolute 100% fail.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »
There is no way in hell there will be a LOTR remake any time soon. Like them or not (I like them), they have become pretty iconic movies and are still fresh in a lot of peoples' minds.

The last thing the world needs is more remakes. I was just thinking yesterday about how stagnant Hollywood has become. A majority of hit movies are either sequels/prequels, remakes, or based on already popular source material like old comics. I'm not saying all of these movies are bad, but let's also have more new ideas.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, there is a Logan's Run remake in the works.  For some reason, Bryan Singer's name is resonating with that in my head.

True Grit wasn't a remake of the John Wayne film.  It is a new production based on the novel that the John Wayne film was also based on.

The new Conan film is not a remake of the Schwarzzeneger film.  It is a new production based on the original Conan stories that Schwarzzeneger film bastardized.

I'm a huge LOTR fan so it always interests me to see or imagine what someone else could bring to the story. PJ added some things that made it a little different that I really liked. Also, I'd love to see how another Director would imagine some of the places and who he/she would cast for everyone.

I don't see how any adaptation could go into even more detail, or even why it should. At some point you're crossing the line where you're just visually narrating the book.

rumborak

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »

lol what?  True Grit was absolutely a remake.
Nope. Hef already beat me to it; it's another movie based on the same book that the first one was based on.

Offline The Ugliest Unicorn

• More than a horse
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »

Yuck!

Fortunately the existence of a movie remake doesn't mean I have to give up my copy of the presumptively superior original.

''Ooh, you're so cool, Brewster!''

I had a crush on Evil Ed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:59:17 PM by The Ugliest Unicorn »

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 06:48:19 PM »

Man, that was an awful remake. They waited like 3 years, and remade it. There was no need for a remake, the first was fantastic. It wasn't lacking anything. There wasn't really anything that needed to be done better. But they remade it anyway. Same characters, but an all black cast. Aside from Peter Dinklage, that is. And I think someone was made Asian. And the script seemed largely the same, aside from a peppering of racist jokes which seemed poorly timed, poorly executed, generally un-needed, and very generic.

I see nothing better about the remake.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 07:18:30 AM »
There is no way in hell there will be a LOTR remake any time soon. Like them or not (I like them), they have become pretty iconic movies and are still fresh in a lot of peoples' minds.

The last thing the world needs is more remakes. I was just thinking yesterday about how stagnant Hollywood has become. A majority of hit movies are either sequels/prequels, remakes, or based on already popular source material like old comics. I'm not saying all of these movies are bad, but let's also have more new ideas.

People have been airing this same complaint probably since the advent of the "talkie".  Sequels may be a little more prevalent now, but adaptations and remakes have been a huge part of the film industry since the birth of Hollywood.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 07:27:30 AM »
Wait a minute.  I thought the remake of Footloose was supposed to be the musical!!!!  This looks like putrid teen crap without the music. 

This pisses me off more than anything.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30:41 AM »

Man, that was an awful remake. They waited like 3 years, and remade it. There was no need for a remake, the first was fantastic. It wasn't lacking anything. There wasn't really anything that needed to be done better. But they remade it anyway. Same characters, but an all black cast. Aside from Peter Dinklage, that is. And I think someone was made Asian. And the script seemed largely the same, aside from a peppering of racist jokes which seemed poorly timed, poorly executed, generally un-needed, and very generic.

I see nothing better about the remake.

I have to see the original, but I thought Death At A Funeral with Chris Rock was absolutely hilarious. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:02 AM »

People have been airing this same complaint probably since the advent of the "talkie".  Sequels may be a little more prevalent now, but adaptations and remakes have been a huge part of the film industry since the birth of Hollywood.

There are plenty of new ideas being made, but Hollywood won't pick them up and support them.  Hollywood is and always will be afraid of taking risks.  They are going to put out what will make them money.  So if you want better more original films, look at the indie market.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?