Author Topic: Gay Marriage Legal in New York!  (Read 31737 times)

Offline ehra

Re: Gay Marriage Legal in New York!
« Reply #245 on: July 05, 2011, 10:50:41 AM »
But have you ever seen how blacks or other minorities have been portrayed the media for the past 60 or so years? Horribly. It's not like the media is some unbiased, equality based demonstration of real people, it shows LOTS of a white people, and a few minorities mostly restricted to stereotypical roles.

To expand on this, BET wouldn't exist in a perfect world because entertainment wouldn't be dominated by whites. But we don't live in an ideal world which is why certain groups of people are given special treatment; to make up for other inequalities.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #246 on: July 05, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »
I would be interested to know what black Americans think of BET, if they consider it racist that they have a channel dedicated to "black entertainment."
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #247 on: July 05, 2011, 09:30:46 PM »
I think it's more directed at the quote unquote "black culture" (rap/hip hop, etc)

I know plenty of white people that enjoy BET because they just prefer that music/culture/etc. and I know black people that don't care for it and would rather watch Spike.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #248 on: July 05, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »
I would be interested to know what black Americans think of BET, if they consider it racist that they have a channel dedicated to "black entertainment."

Honestly, I think the channel itself may lend itself to more stereotyping than outside sources. I dont really watch the channel (nothing really intereting on there anyway), but I wouldnt care if someone wanted to make a White/Asian/Jewish Entertainment Television.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
Actually on OnDemand there's ShalomTV. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2011, 04:51:39 AM »
Well, by strict definition, of course it is racist.  Racism is making decisions about people or ideas based on race alone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2011, 05:30:51 AM »
What I simply cannot fathom btw are the "ghetto" transformers from the second Transformers movie.  They talk like they hail from the heart of Detroit and claim they can't read. :facepalm:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #252 on: July 07, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »
It makes me sad to see channels like BET.  It really encourages segregation on a social level.  Even at my school, which is very diverse, most people just hang out with people of the same race.  And it's not like anyone is being discriminated against, but race is still apparently a determining factor in what kind of friends a person chooses to have.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
It makes me sad to see channels like BET.  It really encourages segregation on a social level.  Even at my school, which is very diverse, most people 

just hang out with people of the same race.  And it's not like anyone is being discriminated against, but race is still apparently a determining factor in what kind of friends a person chooses to have.

I think that's human nature, to socialize more with people who resemble you.

For instance and not completely related, on the set of the first Planet of Apes movie, the extras and actors all socialized with the same members of whatever species they were playing. Apes with apes, etc. This wasn't required or even recommended, it just naturally happened.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #254 on: July 07, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2011, 05:48:11 PM »
I remember reading that when BET aired season 2 of The Wire they edited out most of the plot lines involving the stevedores, who, albeit being mostly white, were also the focus of the season  :rollin
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #256 on: July 07, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
i am very glad gay marriage is legal and our christian government has had its tight grip over the nation loosened just one little bit.