Author Topic: Gay Marriage Legal in New York!  (Read 31739 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Gay Marriage Legal in New York!
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:54:16 PM »
https://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/24/same-sex-marriage-passes-in-new-york-senate/

HUGE NEWS: human beings now being given extremely basic civil rights in New York in a way that adversely affects no one!

Same-sex marriage passes in New York State

Shortly before 10 pm on June 24, 2011, with the passage of a crucial amendment by a vote of 36 to 26, it became clear that a majority of the New York State Senate was going to approve same-sex marriage. The final tally for the bill itself was 33 to 29.

The bill had already passed in the heavily Democratic state Assembly by a lopsided vote of 82-47, but it still faced one final obstacle in the Senate. That was removed when lawmakers agreed to allow religious organizations to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages.

Earlier on Friday, the bill was known to have 31 votes in favor, one short of a majority. When Republican Stephen Saland, who voted against a similar bill two years ago, told the Associated Press that he intended to vote in favor this time, passage of the measure was assured.

Following the Senate vote, a second vote was taken in the Assembly on the amended bill, and that passed 80 to 63. Governor Andrew Cuomo has promised to sign it, and same-sex marriages will begin 30 days after that.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Gay Marriage Legal in New York!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »
It is fucking embarrassing that it took this long and that it isn't the same everywhere.

When kids read about this in history books they will probably feel like we felt when we were in school and learned how long it took for women to get the right to vote, or for blacks to receive their civil rights.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:05:36 AM »
Don't you still have like 40 states that completely prohibit same sex marriage?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:06:47 AM »
It is fucking embarrassing that it took this long and that it isn't the same everywhere.

When kids read about this in history books they will probably feel like we felt when we were in school and learned how long it took for women to get the right to vote, or for blacks to receive their civil rights.

you tell em

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 01:46:56 AM »

Yep.

When the older generations start dying and our generation begins assuming power, this sort of thing will gradually become more commonplace.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 02:24:34 AM »
Next stop, Arkansas!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 03:49:16 AM »
Don't you still have like 40 states that completely prohibit same sex marriage?
41, I believe.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:23:32 AM »

Agreed.  Congrats New York, its about time! :tup

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 08:05:59 AM »
 :tup

Kinda proud that my little country was the first, 10+ years ago. Too bad that makes us nr. 1 on the gods hates fags list :( (lolol).

Congrats and hope the other states will follow.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 08:21:31 AM »
I think the USA is the only country that's both in front of and behind us in terms of civilization.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »
This is such great news!

EDIT: After reading a few articles about it, it appears that it only passed because they added a stipulation that said that churches didn't have to marry gays. So it becomes increasingly apparent that religion continues to be the largest obstacle to justice, equality and freedom.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:46:53 AM by Quadrochosis »
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »
Good for them!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:58:33 AM »
wtg NY

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
This is such great news!

EDIT: After reading a few articles about it, it appears that it only passed because they added a stipulation that said that churches didn't have to marry gays. So it becomes increasingly apparent that religion continues to be the largest obstacle to justice, equality and freedom.

Honestly, I don't see why that should even have to be a stipulation, I'd think it would be implicit in any bill like this. Churches are a private institution and have the right to deny their services to whomever they want.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »
Absolutely. I will never expect the churches to change their stance on this (except the few that already do), and they are not required in any way anyway. This is about the government, and the government must not discriminate.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »
I thought this was refreshing:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/16/new-york-gay-marriage_n_878358.html

Quote from: NYS Senator Roy McDonald (R)
You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," McDonald, 64, told reporters.
"You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing.
"I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »

Empire State Building Celebrates Equality in Rainbow Colors

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 09:59:38 AM »
I saw this flag driving around chicago the other day, it was really cool and I'm hoping to see a lot more of them around.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 10:00:55 AM »

You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," McDonald, 64, told reporters.
"You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing.
"I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this.
That's amazing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »
[/quote]

Holy shit.  This guy's my new hero. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
Yea, that might be the greatest thing I've ever read by a NY politician.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline j

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »

That's amazing.

:tup

-J

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
You know what is retarded about this? There is probably an ass load of people who are incredibly butt hurt over this.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »
I guess even when a marathon runner is awfully slow, you still congratulate them at the end of it for finally finishing the goddamn race.  Way to be, New York!  Now we've only got 41 states left to teach right and wrong to. 

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
Absolutely. I will never expect the churches to change their stance on this (except the few that already do), and they are not required in any way anyway. This is about the government, and the government must not discriminate.

rumborak

What is it with you and your libertarian fantasies?  ;D

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »
Yea, that might be the greatest thing I've ever read by a NY politician.

Yep.  :lol

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 06:11:05 AM »
It was a pretty special weekend in NYC. People were happy, fireworks were out of this world. Good for them, they are going to drive the marriage bureau insane this morning  :rollin
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »
Good for NY. Now, we need the rest of the states...and the whole world. It'll all happen in the next few years. Unless...

CIVIL WAR 2011 v. Gay Marriage :lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 12:55:29 AM »

Holy shit.  This guy's my new hero. 

People on both sides of the isle could learn something from this guy.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 01:18:16 AM »

ugh. I agree with the orientation and sex parts but the "gender" thing is BULLSHIT!! a man is a man and a woman is a woman if you dont like the deck you were handed in life thats understandable but that doesnt mean you arent what you are, the world isnt fair yes I know. some people are really really silly with this.
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 05:14:39 AM »
I agree with the above post. There was some debate about this as well in that thread emindead made.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 05:27:11 AM »
ugh. I agree with the orientation and sex parts but the "gender" thing is BULLSHIT!! a man is a man and a woman is a woman if you dont like the deck you were handed in life thats understandable but that doesnt mean you arent what you are, the world isnt fair yes I know. some people are really really silly with this.

You are aware that it is entirely possible to be "born in the wrong body" right? Some girls are just born in male bodies, and vice versa. It really sucks, I have a friend who is in this situation and she has a lot of obstacles she is getting through.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 05:43:26 AM »
then they are pyschological issues brought on by them desiring to be/indentifying more with the opposite gender, NOT "being born in the wrong body". That isnt how reality works, sorry.
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 06:29:03 AM »

You are aware that it is entirely possible to be "born in the wrong body" right? Some girls are just born in male bodies, and vice versa. It really sucks, I have a friend who is in this situation and she has a lot of obstacles she is getting through.
Well yes, but they are still male. Would call a tall person being born in a midgets body tall?