How many listens does it take to fully appreciate a DT album

1 (1.1%)
5 (5.5%)
16 (17.6%)
4 (4.4%)
5+
65 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: How many listens does it take to fully appreciate a DT album  (Read 6952 times)

Offline MetropolisxPt1

I just gave a friend of mine my copy of 8vm and i told him to give it few listens through to fully appreciate it, just curious on how long it takes you to fully embrace a DT album.

I will say BC&SL had me from right from the beginning.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: How many listens does it take to fully appreciate a DT album
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »
Depends how many session musicians are on the album.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:52:48 AM »
I voted 5+. When enough thought and care is given to the making of an album, it will still reap rewards to listen to it many, many times. So I think in general it is true of all good albums that it takes several listens to fully appreciate it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »
Usually 1 or 2. Their music is pretty easy to digest.

Offline Gysten

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »
I started with Images And Words and Octavarium. Took me 10+ listens to appreciate the albums. At that moment i diden't even like songs like Metropolis, Learning To Live and Octavarium, such a noob. :/

I loved Scenes From A Memory on the first listen thought.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:55:02 AM »
arrogance at its finest besides as long as mangini doesnt contribute he is a session member.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:01:58 AM by MetropolisxPt1 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:16 AM »
I voted 5+. I usually spin a new DT CD repeatedly once I get it just to soak it all up and try to digest it. But I'd have to say it's a good few weeks of multiple daily listens before I feel comfortable knowing I've 'got it all' out of a DT CD.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »
I started with Images And Words and Octavarium. Took me 10+ listens to appreciate the albums. At that moment i diden't even like songs like Metropolis, Learning To Live and Octavarium, such a noob. :/
I&W is imo the hardest to get into first. I remember the intro to LTL scared me off so i never listened to it but then the bass groove in the verse made me a permanent DT fan

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »

:lol
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »
It depends on the album. Scenes hooked me right away, and so did BC&SL. Others like 8VM, I&W, and Awake took many listens. I voted 3 as a median average.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »
What do you mean digest, forcing yourself to like it? I'll listen to the album (no matter what kind of style of music it is) one time and I'll hear if it's good or not. I've heard BC&SL as a whole album once. I did not need time to digest it because I heard that it was not made for my ears. I did listen to TCOT twice though, it deserved that!

With Dream Theaters latest releases, there's no need to listen to the entire thing because there is no theme or thought behind them.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 11:21:44 AM »
You can enjoy parts of the album within the first few listens, appreciate a good chunk of the album within 10 or so more listens...but after that it's really an unintended trick question.  How could you possibly know whether or not you are fully appreciating it?  

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »
You can enjoy parts of the album within the first few listens, appreciate a good chunk of the album within 10 or so more listens...but after that it's really an unintended trick question.  How could you possibly know whether or not you are fully appreciating it?  
If you do you have reached another level of consciousness and will attain nirvana.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »

This.

With Dream Theaters latest releases, there's no need to listen to the entire thing because there is no theme or thought behind them.

Not this.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »
What do you mean digest, forcing yourself to like it? I'll listen to the album (no matter what kind of style of music it is) one time and I'll hear if it's good or not. I've heard BC&SL as a whole album once. I did not need time to digest it because I heard that it was not made for my ears. I did listen to TCOT twice though, it deserved that!

This is the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long time. Congratulations.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
It depends on how much depth the music has, at least for me. It takes a while to digest everything in some songs, yet others click immediately, so I went with 5+. Normally, even if something does click on a first or second listen, I'll still continue listening to it to hear new things, or things I've missed previously.

Uh, yeah, I don't normally like to tell people they're wrong, but...

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »

This is the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long time. Congratulations.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 11:26:22 AM »

:rollin
hey now

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »
If you do you have reached another level of consciousness and will attain nirvana.

You mean like a Shaman's Trance?

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »

??? what is this I don't even

Concerning the question at hand: It differs... I've had different experiences. Some of you guys ask such odd questions xD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
A lot.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »
How many times you need to listen to an album to digest or appreciate it is a function of each album, not what band it is created by.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
Just yesterday I focused for the first time on the utter fucking brilliance of JP's guitar work on the 1st verse of ToT, and I've been listening to that album for 20 some odd years. I'd heard it, digested it, but I don't think I really began to appreciate his tone and all the negative space until yesterday. IMO the most completely mind-blowing, bend-me-over, tasteful, unique and provocative guitar work JP has ever done. This was YESTERDAY.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

And I hope your friend has heard some DT before, otherwise starting him off with Octavarium was a huge mistake.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
I don't know exactly, but quite a few times for sure. I guess it will be the same for DT 11 and I hope I'll go beyond 4 or 5 listens, becaus I  stopped at that number for both SC and BC&SL.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Mladen

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
A lot.

So, obviously, more than five.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »
I voted 5+.  When listening to DT, one must do his or her homework.  You're not gonna catch everything in just a couple spins and there are no cliff notes either.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline wammabe

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 01:44:03 PM »
Depends on the album. I found 8vm extremely easy to appreciate in the first/second listen, although it was my first DT album, I already felt familiar with the song styles and structures. On the other hand, the first disk of SDOIT was extremely hard for me to digest, I refused to fully listen to songs like "The Great Debate" for months! ToT was also very hard for me to appreciate since I was always told it was a bunch of mindless metal, I only got to appreciate it after reading a review and going through all the songs separately 1 by 1.
However, I was a n00b at music back then, I think I'm fully prepared to take on ADTOE in a more mature way.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »
it takes me a dozen forceful listens to get into an album
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 03:56:26 PM »

You mean like a Shaman's Trance?
I was thinking Breaking All Illusions and far from heaven  as  metaphors for existentialism in religion.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »
Depends on the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 04:23:41 PM »
To fully appreciate any album, it's going to take four or five listens. Before that, one must first feel out an album, which only takes a couple of listens with DT.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
Three licks to get to the center.

I'd say between 5 and ten plays to soak it all in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Vajra

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
Aside from "The Mirror" and "A Change of Seasons" pretty much all of Pre-Scenes DT took awhile for me to appreciate. I remember that once I did learn to like them, I really fell in love and was blown away. I&W is one of my all time favorite albums now. As for Post-FII DT, everything was very easy for me to appreciate, only took 1 listen to know whether or not I liked a song.

This thread reminds me how I thought "Requiem For a Dream" and "The Fountain" were simply decent films when I first saw them, and now they're two of my top 5 favorite films.