Author Topic: Proud parent  (Read 17070 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Proud parent
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »
Much better. Good looking kids and jingle.son looks quite a bit like my youngest (sans 20lbs of hair).
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2018, 08:02:27 AM »
No kidding! Wasn't it like yesterday Chad shared some pics of a jingle vacation where the jingle.kids were all little?

It'll creep up on you too Gary.  In no time, you'll be in this boat too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2018, 08:14:08 AM »
No kidding! Wasn't it like yesterday Chad shared some pics of a jingle vacation where the jingle.kids were all little?

It'll creep up on you too Gary.  In no time, you'll be in this boat too.

I think I told you last time we talked I'm feeling it already. Our oldest is going into middle school (6th grade) next year and me and the Mrs. are like  :omg:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2020, 07:17:16 PM »
The day after my son Nolan was born, we were informed that he seemed a bit too lethargic for the hospital's liking. He was immedeately being sent to Tufts Floating Hospital for Children in Boston. We spent three days and nights there in the NICU unit. The infant next to him had a hole in his heart. Our son was stable, thank God.

Six weeks later he would be back in the hospital as he could not keep any food down. Our local hospital could not treat him to our satisfaction, so remembering the care he received at Tufts, we drove him up there at 4 in the morning. He was diagnosed with Pyloric Stenosis, which is a fairly common thing. It involves a muscle squeezing the base of the stomach. He was diagnosed and in surgery in a few hours. We handed him over to the surgeon and we were fucking balling our eyes out. The doctor told us it was literally the biggest one he's ever seen. Special. He still has a scar.

His delays in speech would become apparent. Early intervention, pre school. We had to come to grips that we would have a special needs child. "on the spectrum" as they say.

Nolan's greatest asset would be his personality. Many were hesitant to label him autistic because he was so social. He had the support of his classmates, as evident today as they were in elementary school. We could stop at any service area on our trips to Disney, and he would walk by a bunch of bikers and totally disarm and melt them.

Through the years, our IEP meetings would be like sticking a needle in our eyes. He's at "this" reading level, his speech is at "that" level. We could basically count on 3-4 gut punch meetings per year. The worst was when we were told that for 7th grade, we would have to switch school systems. We toured a number of programs in area towns, until we met an extraordinary young teacher in the next town over. We live in West B., and my son would attend school in East B. New school, no friends. Holy fuck! I stepped down in jobs to accommodate greater flexibility in our schedules.

With the help of a group of amazing teachers, my son excelled, earning Honor Roll accolades, as well as ultimately passing his MCAS, which meant he would not graduate with a mere certificate, but with an actual fucking diploma!

We were gutted when we heard we would be having a "drive thru" Graduation. WTF?? Everything we've been through. The tears, the frustrations, hell, we even got our lawyer involved one year... We were livid.
That is until...my wife and son went to the graduation rehersal on Thursday. He was so fired up.The quirkiness of the whole thing really appealed to him, and we began to view it differently. It was about him, and he was totally happy.

We had to be in our assigned parking space this morning at 10 for an 11:00 ceremony. That meant for an hour, it was like a giant tailgate. All of the kids were socializing, hugging, taking pictures together....no masks. It was beautiful. Many of these kids hadn't seen each other in many weeks. Months even.
Not one kid walked by our space without saying "HI Nolan!". He rubs off on everyone, across class. Jock, nerd, black, white. We are so proud of that.

That hour of tailgating socializing may not have been possible with a normal ceremony. Honestly, this might have been one of the most impactful hours in each of these students' lives.

The ceremony would be followed with a car parade through the town. Again, this is not our hometown, yet in over a dozen spots, the people knew my son. We were so proud.

I would be remiss to mention that he has an amazing and supportive younger brother. He has been gifted with many things. While he is growing a quarantine beard and hair, but during the quarantine, he has taken three college AP exams and is only a junior in high school.

tl:dr
My son graduated high school today!

https://youtu.be/wIa2gOVSmjg?t=3664

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:00:51 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2020, 07:21:48 PM »
 :heart :heart :heart
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2020, 07:38:59 PM »
That is awesome Tim!  :metal   Nolan seems like an incredible young man and surely a testament to you and your wife’s sacrifices and parenting. So happy to hear that what was thought to be a ‘bummer’ in the non traditional graduation was actually an awesome experience!

Congrats!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »
Seems I got a little something in my eye. Damn allergies.

Best thing I’ve read in a while. Fills me with joy and happiness for the TAC family.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »
Thank you Chad.

What was amazing is the joy the kids had in seeing each other. The world has asked a lot of them over the last few months. The whole tailgating experience was an unforeseen yet unforgettable experience.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
Good stuff man!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2020, 08:29:18 PM »
Thank you, brother!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2020, 08:31:30 PM »
That's awesome. :)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2020, 08:32:44 PM »
Cant find the right emoticon. That made me cry ugly happy tears. Congrats to Nolan and the family. Mom and dad are troopers, amazing human beings. Being a dad is very tough, each word was hard to read, you guys did it. So happy for you all.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2020, 08:36:44 PM »
That's so awesome, Tim. So proud of you and your son, buddy. Nice to read such a feel good story. :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2020, 08:41:40 PM »
Cant find the right emoticon. That made me cry ugly happy tears. Congrats to Nolan and the family. Mom and dad are troopers, amazing human beings. Being a dad is very tough, each word was hard to read, you guys did it. So happy for you all.

Thank you Faizoff and Lethean. You are right Faizoff. My wife is amazing.

I told this story when I toasted her at her 50th birthday party.

She had a 5 y/o son when I met her. I remember she made him an ice cream bowl, and the had a baggie full of oreos that she was planning on sprinkling on it. I remember thinking, how is she going to do that?

Well she grabbed a hammer and started pounding the cookies in the baggie. I remember then, that this is the woman I want raising my kids. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2020, 08:45:40 PM »
That's so awesome, Tim. So proud of you and your son, buddy. Nice to read such a feel good story. :2metal:

Thanks Michael. I have a stepson, who is not only basically your age, but also has the same first name. He was there along the parade route with my sister in law and mother in law, but unfortunately he headed back home before we got a chance to meet up. I was hoping to get him in a picture, but we'll get together soon enough. He and his partner have taken this quarantine pretty seriously.  My wife has not really even seen him at all in the last couple of months.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2020, 08:48:01 PM »
Great stuff, Tim. That was a really nice read. :hat :hat

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2020, 08:50:13 PM »
It's getting dusty in here.

So happy for you, my friend.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2020, 08:52:10 PM »
Thank you guys. So appreciated. DTF is my facebook.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2020, 09:04:35 PM »

Thanks Michael. I have a stepson, who is not only basically your age, but also has the same first name. He was there along the parade route with my sister in law and mother in law, but unfortunately he headed back home before we got a chance to meet up. I was hoping to get him in a picture, but we'll get together soon enough. He and his partner have taken this quarantine pretty seriously.  My wife has not really even seen him at all in the last couple of months.

That really sucks. Hopefully she gets to see him soon.  :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2020, 09:09:06 PM »
Well she grabbed a hammer and started pounding the cookies in the baggie. I remember then, that this is the woman I want raising my kids. :lol
:metal :rollin
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2020, 09:11:13 PM »

That really sucks. Hopefully she gets to see him soon.  :(

So the thing is, next month our hometown holds its graduation. My son has been invited to march with the West B. kids. He's likely wearing my stepson's gown. The kids in our town have been so nice to him over the years. The kids he hasn't been to school with since 6th grade all remember him.
Also, while my youngest son, Sean, was playing basketball for a number of years, Nolan actually ran the scoreboard for the games, so they all know him pretty well.

Our town has a tradition of a car parade on the last day of school for seniors, and my wife and son took part in it. His picture even made the local paper.

So the kid will actually get two high school graduations. He's pretty fired up about that.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2020, 09:13:10 PM »
TAC I think it's really cool that your son enjoyed the alternate ceremony so much.  I thought my high school graduation was more something to just get through.  Hope I don't trip on the way up to get my diploma and stuff.  It was ok, but your son's sounded like it was actually fun. :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2020, 09:16:44 PM »
TAC I think it's really cool that your son enjoyed the alternate ceremony so much.  I thought my high school graduation was more something to just get through.  Hope I don't trip on the way up to get my diploma and stuff.  It was ok, but your son's sounded like it was actually fun. :)

I remember my high school, and college graduations being a couple of the greatest days. But yes, they are long and boring. In a way, this worked in his favor. Actually it seemed to work in everyone's favor.

But he has a way of seeing the good in anything. I'll tell you, whenever I'm upset about something, all I need to do is have a conversation with my son, and I instantly feel better.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2020, 09:18:35 PM »
When I got handed my high school diploma I got nervous and switched up the hands we were supposed to use for grabbing the diploma and shaking the principal's hand and tossed the diploma on the ground  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2020, 09:20:07 PM »
 :lol :lol

I believe that! :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »
Through the years, our IEP meetings would be like sticking a needle in our eyes. He's at "this" reading level, his speech is at "that" level. We could basically count on 3-4 gut punch meetings per year.

Any time my wife has one coming up, there is definitely an different air around her; the days leading up to them are more stressful, the night before she doesn't sleep well, the morning of she is up earlier, and I know exactly how it went after seeing her for 5 seconds at the end of the day. Sometimes they are positive, other times they are not. They are always significant though, and leave her drained physically and emotionally.

A neighbor friend graduated this week, which got me thinking about mine. At the time it was one of the happiest days of my life, and with some significance, as my life went downhill not long after that. Looking back, I probably forgot about that day 6 months later, but it to this day my parents will tell me it is one of the happiest, proudest days of their lives. I know you and the Mrs. will remember with joy this day for the rest of your lives.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2020, 10:01:08 PM »
Congratulations to Nolan and his parents!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2020, 11:00:20 PM »
When I got handed my high school diploma I got nervous and switched up the hands we were supposed to use for grabbing the diploma and shaking the principal's hand and tossed the diploma on the ground  :lol :lol

But at least you didn't toss yourself on the ground!  :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2020, 11:06:26 PM »

I remember my high school, and college graduations being a couple of the greatest days. But yes, they are long and boring. In a way, this worked in his favor. Actually it seemed to work in everyone's favor.

But he has a way of seeing the good in anything. I'll tell you, whenever I'm upset about something, all I need to do is have a conversation with my son, and I instantly feel better.

Can I ask your son to chat with you before you score my songs in your next roulette? :)

Seriously though, he sounds like he has a great disposition.  What's next for him?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2020, 12:15:26 AM »
That whole post made my heart melt, Tim. :heart

Congrats to Nolan on his graduation! :metal

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2020, 02:54:57 AM »
Congratulations :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2020, 03:38:55 AM »
Not going to lie Tim, that post brought a tear to my eye. Happy and proud of you and Nolan. Congratulations.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2020, 04:26:14 AM »
Thank you my friends.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2020, 05:04:13 AM »
Such an uplifting story of sacrifice and determination.  Wishing Nolan the best for whatever the future holds.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2020, 06:37:40 AM »
Awesome! Congratulations Nolan! Well done.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the graduation, Tim. I know this year was weird. Nolan is wise to find unique joy in the situation.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens