Author Topic: My problem with Christianity  (Read 23168 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: My problem with Christianity
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »
But the NT as a composite grouping doesn't date to the time period we are discussing.  Sure, John equates Jesus with God, but it is the latest of the four canonical Gospels.  There is no such theology in the Synoptics.  And I don't believe for a minute that any of the earliest Apostles believed in anything like a Trinity.
But John does provide an account of the period we're talking about, and his gospel was completed in the first century, not too much later than the Synoptics. I don't see a particular reason he should be distrusted. Furthermore, his theology may be much more explicit than the other three, but there's nothing in John that can't be found in Matthew, Mark or Luke. 

There is plenty in John that is not in the Synoptics.
This. If it weren't for the Passion sequence, John almost seems like it's about a completely different person.
There's differences to be sure. But I think your exaggerating them. Why John must conform to the Synoptics in order to be reliable is a mystery to me.

Because when two people share accounts of an event, and both are different, they cannot both be right.
Yes, if there are truly irreconcilable differences. But that doesn't make either generally unreliable. You could dismiss a lot of historical material, and would do so wrongly, based on the standard that many commentators apply to the Gospels, John particularly.

I didn't say they were both wrong, I said at least one is.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2011, 08:49:08 PM »
But the NT as a composite grouping doesn't date to the time period we are discussing.  Sure, John equates Jesus with God, but it is the latest of the four canonical Gospels.  There is no such theology in the Synoptics.  And I don't believe for a minute that any of the earliest Apostles believed in anything like a Trinity.
But John does provide an account of the period we're talking about, and his gospel was completed in the first century, not too much later than the Synoptics. I don't see a particular reason he should be distrusted. Furthermore, his theology may be much more explicit than the other three, but there's nothing in John that can't be found in Matthew, Mark or Luke. 

This. If it weren't for the Passion sequence, John almost seems like it's about a completely different person.
There's differences to be sure. But I think your exaggerating them. Why John must conform to the Synoptics in order to be reliable is a mystery to me.

Because when two people share accounts of an event, and both are different, they cannot both be right.
Yes, if there are truly irreconcilable differences. But that doesn't make either generally unreliable. You could dismiss a lot of historical material, and would do so wrongly, based on the standard that many commentators apply to the Gospels, John particularly.

I didn't say they were both wrong, I said at least one is.
I know. And I don't think that makes either generally unreliable.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
But the NT as a composite grouping doesn't date to the time period we are discussing.  Sure, John equates Jesus with God, but it is the latest of the four canonical Gospels.  There is no such theology in the Synoptics.  And I don't believe for a minute that any of the earliest Apostles believed in anything like a Trinity.

Not true...See Matthew 28:19.  And see 2 Cor 13:14. These verses suggest an early formulation of the idea of the trinity or at least a foundation upon which the theology was formulated.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2011, 09:04:53 PM »
I think there's a difference between believing in something and then finding something in the text that might vaguely confirm it, and reading the text without the belief and coming to the same conclusion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
But the NT as a composite grouping doesn't date to the time period we are discussing.  Sure, John equates Jesus with God, but it is the latest of the four canonical Gospels.  There is no such theology in the Synoptics.  And I don't believe for a minute that any of the earliest Apostles believed in anything like a Trinity.

Not true...See Matthew 28:19.  And see 2 Cor 13:14. These verses suggest an early formulation of the idea of the trinity or at least a foundation upon which the theology was formulated.
Not really.  Neither of those support any such theology in and of themselves.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »

Not really.  Neither of those support any such theology in and of themselves.

No, not in and of themselves.  But combined with the Gospel of John, other various pieces of scripture, and a couple hundred of years of early church formation is how the theology came to be.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »

Not true...See Matthew 28:19.  And see 2 Cor 13:14. These verses suggest an early formulation of the idea of the trinity or at least a foundation upon which the theology was formulated.

No, not in and of themselves.  But combined with the Gospel of John, other various pieces of scripture, and a couple hundred of years of early church formation is how the theology came to be.

See, if I was a Christian, I'd ONLY accept theology that was present at the time of the Jesus event, why on earth would I care about the theological development of random Roman people hundreds of years later?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2011, 11:03:57 PM »

Not true...See Matthew 28:19.  And see 2 Cor 13:14. These verses suggest an early formulation of the idea of the trinity or at least a foundation upon which the theology was formulated.

No, not in and of themselves.  But combined with the Gospel of John, other various pieces of scripture, and a couple hundred of years of early church formation is how the theology came to be.

See, if I was a Christian, I'd ONLY accept theology that was present at the time of the Jesus event, why on earth would I care about the theological development of random Roman people hundreds of years later?
As I said, the doctrine was formulated from biblical data, and has roots in Jewish theology. Furthermore, given that the early church was so furiously opposed to the different heretical schools of Christianity, because they altered Jesus' teachings, I find it unlikely that church itself would take the liberty of decreeing something as central as the trinity by fiat.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »

I actually agree with you.  Who cares what church history says?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »
I find it unlikely that church itself would take the liberty of decreeing something as central as the trinity by fiat.

This makes me laugh when I think of what the Christian Church has actually done over the course of History.

space cadet, pull out.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »

Because the Christian faith is not just comprised of the Bible alone, it is comprised of the Church as well which is a dynamic and living institution, established by Christ himself.  But if you want to formulate your own theology solely on what was documented as happening during the life of Christ then I will just refer you back to the passage in Matthew and the Book of John and you can determine for yourself whether you want to believe in a trinity.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2011, 11:52:17 PM »
well i don't believe in any of it. but all i meant was that i wouldn't believe any later theological inventions because that would be absolutely silly and illogical in my opinion.
space cadet, pull out.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2011, 05:02:07 AM »
We don't know for sure what happened in the life of Christ.  But Paul's legitimate writings are from shortly thereafter, and the Gospel of Mark is the oldest extant narrative of the life of Jesus.  Matthew and Luke both used Mark as the framework for their gospels, along with teachings and sayings of Jesus.  John is much later and contains a bunch of stuff not present in the Synoptics or Paul.

John is useful to determine the history of Christianity, but I don't find it very useful in determining what Jesus really said, did, or taught.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2011, 05:35:40 AM »
I find it unlikely that church itself would take the liberty of decreeing something as central as the trinity by fiat.

This makes me laugh when I think of what the Christian Church has actually done over the course of History.

A lot of less than wonderful things. But the above is not an argument.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2011, 07:43:53 AM »

2 points in opposition:
1.  Yes, they can be different and still both be right as long as the differences do not contradict one another (which is the case here).
2.  We are not talking about two people sharing an account of an event.  We are talking about two people sharing an account of select events that took place mostly over a 3 - 3 1/2 year period, and the differences are not conflicting, contradictory accounts of the same event, but generally fall into one of two categories:  (1) emphasis on different events during that time period, or (2) placing emphasis on different things within the same events. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
It's not just the different events discussed.  It is also the very way that Jesus and his teachings are presented.  John presents something entirely different than do the Synoptics.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »
Not really.  But one thing I will say about John:  he could turn a drop of water into an ocean.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:23:23 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »
Not really.
Yeah, I'd like an example, Hef.

Of course I realize John recounted some of the same events in the Synoptics  differently, some that don't appear in the first three at all and arranged his material differently. But I'm not sure what you see that makes John unreliable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »
Not to oversimplify or misstate what Hef would say, but based on what I've seen him post in the past, I think he would primarily say:  "The synoptics presented Jesus as going about teaching the people privately and telling them to keep things quiet without putting any emphasis on himself whatsoever.  In John, we have a completely different Jesus teaching openly and unable to shut up about himself."  I can see where there is a bit of truth to that, but in general, I don't agree.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
I think it's more about the underlying theology. The synoptics mostly portray Jesus as an itinerant prophet (who has special standing with God, but is distinctly separate), whereas John sees him as the incarnation of the Logos and part of God himself. I mean, there's a reason why the the synoptics are called synoptics, and John isn't.
In terms of historical accuracy, I kinda consider John to be on par with other non-canonical writings really, e.g. the Gospel of Thomas. Inspired by historical accounts, but too concerned with pitching a message to be taken at face value.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
I think it's more about the underlying theology. The synoptics mostly portray Jesus as an itinerant prophet (who has special standing with God, but is distinctly separate), whereas John sees him as the incarnation of the Logos and part of God himself. I mean, there's a reason why the the synoptics are called synoptics, and John isn't.
In terms of historical accuracy, I kinda consider John to be on par with other non-canonical writings really, e.g. the Gospel of Thomas. Inspired by historical accounts, but too concerned with pitching a message to be taken at face value.

rumborak

The pre-resurrected Jesus does not directly claim his deity in the Synoptics, but his Deity is implicit in his behavior.  For instance he forgives sin, he holds the power to judge, he lays claim to fulfillment of OT prophecy, he claims to know man's heart and thoughts, he claimed himself greater than the temple, he teaches of himself for eternal destiny, etc.  

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2011, 01:24:19 PM »

rumborak

Except that one wasn't drastically edited by the Gnostic Christians.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »

rumborak

The pre-resurrected Jesus does not directly claim his deity in the Synoptics, but his Deity is implicit in his behavior.  For instance he forgives sin, he holds the power to judge, he lays claim to fulfillment of OT prophecy, he claims to know man's heart and thoughts, he claimed himself greater than the temple, he teaches of himself for eternal destiny, etc.  

Given the large amount of direct quotes in the gospels, and given the "game changer" quality of him being divine, I think the fact that he didn't claim his divinity means he didn't think he was. That's like Barack Obama never mentioning that he's president of the USA, but instead leaving everyone guessing.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »
I think it's more like a brief narrative by a third party about his entire 4-year presidency in a book about, for example, "Barak Obama, the 44th President of the United States" that doesn't see the need to introduce quotes by Obama claiming to be president.  There is simply no need.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #199 on: July 07, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
I think Jesus had to primarily demonstrate himself as the prophetic Messiah, because that's what people were looking for.  He does this quite obviously in all four gospels. 

But he was more secretive about his deity, I think, because if he came out and said "I'm God," I don't think that would be something the Israelites would see as consistent with their beliefs.  I think it's possible that his deity was something that started off as something only few people knew, and expanded outward over time (which would also explain why the later gospels contain more references to him as God).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »
I'm late with this, but it's a big mistake to take a book that in itself claims progressive revelation and not be willing to tolerate the semantic disciplines required to assemble arching doctrines established therin. This isn't necessarily a case of biblical scholars doing acrobatics as much as it's the way any responsible scholar would draw theological principles from any religious text, be it the bible, quaran, etc. It is the most sensible and effective way to draw out ideas and doctrines over the course of time. If anyone is looking for the word Trinity or Rapture in the Bible, they are misunderstanding how language translation works at a very basic level. It is actually very simple to demonstrate that early writers did have a concept of a triune diety, but it's done by following the thread of passages dealing with that issue and building the case systematically as you go. That's not semantics, it's basic heurmanutics.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline j

« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
^That.  It's a pretty simple concept.  Of course the earliest accounts of specific historical EVENTS are most likely the most reliable, but the development of doctrine, theology and philosophy are completely different things.  It's only natural that those things develop over time, because human understanding of things is progressive in general.

-J

Offline Ħ

« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »
Actually, that leads to another question I have.  Do the Christians here believe in an evolution of theology?  By that, I mean does one generation grow in knowledge from the generations before it?

For example, justification by faith was a pretty unknown doctrine for a good while of history, until Martin Luther uncovered it and spent his life defending it.  Of course, because he was fighting the fight for that specific doctrine, he wasn't able to develop other doctrines that have since been developed.

So...it's almost like one person spends 30 years in study, and plants flags along the way, so it only takes the next generation 5 years to learn everything he did, and they have much more time to spend learning new things.

What do you guys think of that?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
Actually, that leads to another question I have.  Do the Christians here believe in an evolution of theology?  By that, I mean does one generation grow in knowledge from the generations before it?

Not really, no.  Jesus knew exactly what he meant, as did the Holy Spirit when he spoke through the apostles and other NT writers.  Unless there is additional revelation, there isn't really any new knowledge that can be gained on what has been revealed.

For example, justification by faith was a pretty unknown doctrine for a good while of history, until Martin Luther uncovered it and spent his life defending it. 

Not really.  It is explicit in scripture and was VERY well known.  It's just that the Catholic Church buried it, which Luther and others battled them on.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »
So do you think that each generation's church knew basically the same amount as the previous generation's?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »
I think they could have, yes.  Whether or not they actually did depends a lot on the diligence of the given church's leadership and individual members (and, to some extent, historical accident).  If a church has to go beyond what is written in scripture to formulate a doctrine, I think they most likely are missing the point.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »

For example, justification by faith was a pretty unknown doctrine for a good while of history, until Martin Luther uncovered it and spent his life defending it.  Of course, because he was fighting the fight for that specific doctrine, he wasn't able to develop other doctrines that have since been developed.

So...it's almost like one person spends 30 years in study, and plants flags along the way, so it only takes the next generation 5 years to learn everything he did, and they have much more time to spend learning new things.

What do you guys think of that?

That's a tough question.  I think it happens to an extent but I also think there is a foundation that never changes.  For instance I believe the Apostles Creed to be a good foundation of the Christian Faith as it was the culmination of theology in the 4th century to define the Orthodox Christian Faith from the various sects that spun their own theology.  Really this theology has held through the Church's history.  But, there are a whole host of doctrines that come out of the Christian church that seem to ebb and flow over time.  Some are important and some are less important.  For instant the Catholic church prior to the reformation had abandoned the doctrine of Salvation thru faith almost completely which led to the rise of the reformation yet Martin Luther almost swung too far to the other extreme to a point where he was ready to throw the book of James out of the Bible because it emphasized works.

Because Christians view the Bible as a living document and the Church as a living institution I think there will always be changes in theology as study continues, but I also believe that as long as there is a recognition that scripture is inspired and authoritative and a respect for the history of the Christian church I think the foundation will stand.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
I think they could have, yes.  Whether or not they actually did depends a lot on the diligence of the given church's leadership and individual members (and, to some extent, historical accident).  If a church has to go beyond what is written in scripture to formulate a doctrine, I think they most likely are missing the point.
Yeah I agree with everything you're saying.  But do you believe that there were any truths that were accepted early in church history, then forgotten, then later rediscovered?  For example, I think of how churches slipped away during the apostles lifetimes (lke Paul references in 1 Timothy).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #208 on: July 08, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
I think they could have, yes.  Whether or not they actually did depends a lot on the diligence of the given church's leadership and individual members (and, to some extent, historical accident).  If a church has to go beyond what is written in scripture to formulate a doctrine, I think they most likely are missing the point.
Yeah I agree with everything you're saying.  But do you believe that there were any truths that were accepted early in church history, then forgotten, then later rediscovered?  For example, I think of how churches slipped away during the apostles lifetimes (lke Paul references in 1 Timothy).

Yes.  But I think that problem can mostly be avoided by (1) the leadership and members being informed of what scripture teaches by diligent, frequent study, and (2) making sure the leadership structure of the church itself is scriptural (i.e., each congregation being autonomous and having as its only authority structue local elders/pastors (plural) with authority only over that congregation and deacons, and not some extra-congregational denominational structure). 

Do you have specific truth in mind, or are you just speaking generally?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »
I think they could have, yes.  Whether or not they actually did depends a lot on the diligence of the given church's leadership and individual members (and, to some extent, historical accident).  If a church has to go beyond what is written in scripture to formulate a doctrine, I think they most likely are missing the point.

Yes.  But I think that problem can mostly be avoided by (1) the leadership and members being informed of what scripture teaches by diligent, frequent study, and (2) making sure the leadership structure of the church itself is scriptural (i.e., each congregation being autonomous and having as its only authority structue local elders/pastors (plural) with authority only over that congregation and deacons, and not some extra-congregational denominational structure). 

Do you have specific truth in mind, or are you just speaking generally?
ATM, I can speculate on three (that you may or may not agree with):

1. justification by faith (rediscovered by Luther)
2. the "rapture" (or the "catching away" to be biblical) vs. an earthly return of Christ (rediscovered 1700ish)
3. Paul's separate message/apostleship from the 12 (rediscovered 1900ish)

But there probably are a lot more, and hopefully ones that we agree on.