Author Topic: Repentance Appreciation Thread  (Read 13247 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Repentance Appreciation Thread
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »
It seems like alot of people here dislike this song, mainly because it's too long.

Repentance is in my top 25 DT songs, and It's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite from the 12 step suite.

I just love the feel and tooooooonneeee of Repentance. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Repentance Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:16:13 PM »
Best song on a mediocre album.

Offline j

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:16:45 PM »
It's a little drawn out, but I like it and it has an excellent guitar solo.  One of two highlight tracks from SC, and I agree probably 2nd or 3rd best of the AA songs.

-J

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
Yeah, my SC list goes like this:

Repentance
In The Presence of Enemies

Ministry of Lost Souls

The Dark Eternal Night

Prophets of War

Constant Motion

Forsaken

Offline atalkingfish

• Yeah/
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »
I was just about to post something about Repentance and then I found this and decided to just reply.

Does anyone else hear what seems to be MP going "doo... doo... doo... doo.." throughout the part where everyone is talking? The more high quality the file is, the easier it is to hear it, but it's definitely there.

Does anyone know what that's about?
Anonymity + regular jerks = complete super douchebags

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
I was just about to post something about Repentance and then I found this and decided to just reply.

Does anyone else hear what seems to be MP going "doo... doo... doo... doo.." throughout the part where everyone is talking? The more high quality the file is, the easier it is to hear it, but it's definitely there.

Hmmm.....I don't hear it, but I'm not that great at catching stuff like that.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
One of the best songs off of Systematic Chaos, absolutely love it. Great feel, great atmosphere, and that dirty bass sound is just gorgeous

lol interesting... I'll have to check that out

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:41:46 PM »
Using a semi-accoustic-sounding picked version of the TDS riff:  Really cool.  

JP solo:  Really cool.

Spoken word section:  Really cool.

Atmosphere:  Really cool.

And yet, somehow when you put it all together, the song still manages to fall completely flat.  As I said about it in another thread:  "really good song, but is far too one-dimensional for how long it is.  ...or is far too long for how one-dimensional it is.  Either way."  SC would be a truly amazing album without PoW, Repentence, and TMOLS.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline atalkingfish

• Yeah/
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »

Hmmm.....I don't hear it, but I'm not that great at catching stuff like that.

I heard the song a million times before noticing it. It starts becoming very audible at 6:33. It is slightly panned to the left. It continues until 6:51 after fading to the right.

They are just short doo's on the main beat. It's even on pitch with the key of the song.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:55:05 PM by atalkingfish »
Anonymity + regular jerks = complete super douchebags

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »

And yet, somehow when you put it all together, the song still manages to fall completely flat.  As I said about it in another thread:  "really good song, but is far too one-dimensional for how long it is.  ...or is far too long for how one-dimensional it is.

I feel the same way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
One of the best songs on SC easily.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »

And yet, somehow when you put it all together, the song still manages to fall completely flat.  As I said about it in another thread:  "really good song, but is far too one-dimensional for how long it is.  ...or is far too long for how one-dimensional it is.  Either way."  SC would be a truly amazing album without PoW, Repentence, and TMOLS.

Never been a big fan of this album. Probably my 2nd least favorite, having When Dream And Day Unite in last place. It's not bad, but there are too many weak song IMO. The Ministry of Lost Souls seems a bit dragged out, PoW has a cool feel, but nothing spectacular. Constant Motion is decent, and the instrumental section is awesome. Also, I don't find Forsaken that amazing. Seems a little dull to me. The only songs that really stand out to me are Repentance and ITPOE.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »
The first half is amazing IMO, but the second half is just ok.  I like the vocal clips, but MP's spoken section is really bad.  The vocal harmonies during the second half are pretty cool, but drag on a minute or two too long.  I like the ending though, very chilling...The Letter M mixed a really cool transition from Repentance to The Shattered Fortress that sounds positively epic, and I really mean epic.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »
The first half is amazing IMO, but the second half is just ok.  I like the vocal clips, but MP's spoken section is really bad.  The vocal harmonies during the second half are pretty cool, but drag on a minute or two too long.  I like the ending though, very chilling...The Letter M mixed a really cool transition from Repentance to The Shattered Fortress that sounds positively epic, and I really mean epic.

The end of Repentance and the beginning of TSF is awesome. Someone on youtube made an awesome transition.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
In the past I wasn't a fan but recently I've been diggin it more.  :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
In the past I wasn't a fan but recently I've been diggin it more.  :tup

Yeah same here. I think it's a good song to relax to  :chill :millahhhh :sadpanda: :hat

Offline wammabe

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »
I love the mood of the song, its very interesting. Depending on my mood, it could sometimes feel a bit long for what it is. However, at other times, when I listen to it I feel that I wouldn't have made the song any other way.

Offline Setebos

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »
Shares the position as best 12 step song with TGP for me. One of the best songs on SC as well. Love the feel and general atmosphere in there. And length-wise it's just perfect (imho), would not change it in any way.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 04:18:26 PM »
I think JP's solo saves the song.  Overall, it's ok but doesn't really stand out amongst the rest of the album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Kosmo

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 04:22:11 PM »
One of the songs on SC that I like a lot.

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »
One of best JP's solos. I really enjoy it. But the song ends for me after the solo.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:56:24 AM by VincentMDO »
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
on first listening i didn't like it because i thought it was an uninspired rehash of old dt material. as i listened to it more and more though, i began to appreciate it, and eventually it became my fav of the album.

on a side note - bizkit, how many *appreciation* threads are threads u goin start? lol
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »
on first listening i didn't like it because i thought it was an uninspired rehash of old dt material. as i listened to it more and more though, i began to appreciate it, and eventually it became my fav of the album.

on a side note - bizkit, how many  *appreciation*threads are threads u goin start? lol

Lol..I don't know.

How ever many more are necessary!

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »
It's one of the better songs on SC, but it's the worst song in the Twelve-Step Suite, IMO. I'd like it better if the end didn't drag on so long. But I agree that going from the end of Repentance to the beginning of TSF is epic. I'm still holding out hope that DT will release a full version of the Twelve-Step or perhaps play the whole thing live, with transitions linking the songs, though I seriously doubt it will ever happen now that MP's gone.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »
I think it's an amazing song. It's only flaw is that the end draws on for far too long, considering it's pretty much the same piece of music that just repeats itself for a few minutes.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
My least Fav. on SC :(  Too long and drawn out for my tastes.  It really sucked because up till that point the 12 step suite was really working for me.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 08:26:20 PM »
My least Fav. on SC :(  Too long and drawn out for my tastes.  It really sucked because up till that point the 12 step suite was really working for me.

:omg:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 08:26:57 PM »
i have to be in the right mood to listen to it

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:25 PM »
Probably DT's best song since 6DOIT.

Yea, I went there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »