Author Topic: Do atheists face discrimination?  (Read 25180 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Do atheists face discrimination?
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 10:44:30 AM »
It is really rather noticeable that the believers in this thread are heavily downplaying any kind of discrimination against atheists. I can only guess at the motivation.

rumborak

What a joke.
Every group of people gets discriminated by someone. You think atheists have it worse?
Not.

How insulting that you think your a victim any more than a believer , or any other group for that matter.

I don't understand how that could be conceived as an insult in any manner, Rumborak and others have simply been posting their perceptions of a situation.

Note: I'm talking about Rumby's original comments about discrimination against Atheists, not what is included in the quote here, and I believe you were too Tick to some degree at least.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
It is really rather noticeable that the believers in this thread are heavily downplaying any kind of discrimination against atheists. I can only guess at the motivation.

rumborak

What a joke.
Every group of people gets discriminated by someone. You think atheists have it worse?
Not.

How insulting that you think your a victim any more than a believer , or any other group for that matter.

Why do you seem so agitated in your posts?  I read the post you quoted from Rumborak, and he didn't say anything about Atheists having it worse, or that he (or any other group) have it worse.  He merely commented on what he percieves as a downplaying of discrimination of Atheists by some.
Can you hear something is my inflection through the way I type?
I'm calm. I just think if your going to make assumptions, you should back it up with more than that weak statement.

Whats the matter Eric, you have a problem with me?
I can call someone on a post if I deem it silly.

Fair enough on the agitated tone comment.  But my other comments still stand.  You went after Rumborak and made assumptions of your own, in a manner that seemed to me as if you didnt even read his post.  You called it a joke.  He never said Atheists have it worse, or that he himself has it worse.  Only that some are downplaying it.  Perhaps you can address that, as my comments about tone have been withdrawn.
I will certainly address it.
The fact there is a thread saying atheists are discriminated against is silly to begin with. Every faction of any group of humans is discriminated.
The fact he presumed  believers to be downplaying anything only adds injury to insult. It insults me as I include myself he the group he was refering to.
Is that good enough for you?

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »

rumborak

What a joke.
Not.

I don't understand how that could be conceived as an insult in any manner, Rumborak and others have simply been posting their perceptions of a situation.

Note: I'm talking about Rumby's original comments about discrimination against Atheists, not what is included in the quote here, and I believe you were too Tick to some degree at least.
You don't understand how I find that insulting?
Read it again.

"I can only guess at the motivation."

The icing on the cake for me.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »
Yes, but Tick, you just said that every faction faces discrimination, while that might be true, it does indeed downplay the point of the OP.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »
I don't see how it is ridiculousness to start a thread about discrimination regardless if others go through it or not. It just seems like you have a bone to pick.

rumborak

What a joke.
Not.

You don't understand how I find that insulting?
Read it again.

"I can only guess at the motivation."

The icing on the cake for me.

Meaning he doesn't know and can only guess.. geez man.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »
@Tick- Once again, I wasn't addressing that part of things, only the original posts about how some people feel atheists are being discriminated against. I can understand why you might disagree with that, or feel they are no more discriminated against than other groups, but I fail to see how someone thinking a group is being unfairly discriminated against could in itself be insulting to you personally.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2011, 10:51:34 AM »
I'm assuming that everyone here would view someone who hates their child's boyfriend/girlfriend because they are black as racist.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2011, 10:53:38 AM »
Simply put, if someone discriminates, I do not wish to associate with this person an therefor do not care about what they think.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
@Tick- Once again, I wasn't addressing that part of things, only the original posts about how some people feel atheists are being discriminated against. I can understand why you might disagree with that, or feel they are no more discriminated against than other groups, but I fail to see how someone thinking a group is being unfairly discriminated against could in itself be insulting to you personally.
I don't feel that way Nick. He is totally entitled to feel anyway he does.
In case its still not clear. I was upset at the fact he took a jab at the believer insinuating they have some agenda for there train of thought.

Ok?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »
In case its still not clear. I was upset at the fact he took a jab at the believer insinuating they have some agenda for there train of thought.

Ok?

He may not have been insinuating that. It might have been him just stating that he would only be just guessing.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2011, 10:58:46 AM »
Yes, but Tick, you just said that every faction faces discrimination, while that might be true, it does indeed downplay the point of the OP.
Yes, making the point that the thread was unnecessary. WE ALL are discriminated against. Why not just have a broader topic called, "Discrimination?

See my point?

No?

Don't care anymore.:tick2:

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
The fact there is a thread saying atheists are discriminated against is silly to begin with. Every faction of any group of humans is discriminated.
The fact he presumed  believers to be downplaying anything only adds injury to insult. It insults me as I include myself he the group he was refering to.

Wow.  Im sorry, and I may be way off, but I am certainly getting some strong emotional cues from your post.  When you start saying things like things are "a joke", and that you feel a poster is "adding insult to injury" directed to you, it seems clear to me that you are, for lack of a better word, agitated....or at least seem to be taking it personal.  I will go back and re-read the thread just to make sure I am not off base.

Also, if you feel that a discussion about Atheist discrimination is "silly" to begin with, then perhaps you should just not participate.  To deny that some people are not treated differently for their religious beliefs (or lack of) is what is silly.  I am the recipient of this type of treatment all the time, and I am only agnostic.
It really isnt your place to determine the validity or degree to which it takes place, especially when it is dealing with another persons personal experiences.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2011, 11:01:02 AM »

Ok?

Ok, that helps clear things up. For what it's worth on the point you raised I do think even if it's not present on an individual level, there are clear biases by atheists in society against believers and clear biases by believers against atheists. Whether or not that boils down to those discussing here may be quite open to debate, but in society at large I find it to be quite a clear thing, though that too could be debated.

Offline Adami

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »

Ok?

If someone said that black people are discriminated against by white people, would you feel personally offended because you're white?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »

Ok?

If someone said that black people are discriminated against by white people, would you feel personally offended because you're white?
Of course not, because its 100% true.
However, the door always swings both ways.
I can't change reality.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:31 AM »
Yes, making the point that the thread was unnecessary. WE ALL are discriminated against. Why not just have a broader topic called, "Discrimination?

See my point?

No?

Don't care anymore.:tick2:

More than 2,000 randomly selected people were interviewed by researchers from the University of Minnesota.

Asked whether they would disapprove of a child's wish to marry an atheist, 47.6 percent of those interviewed said yes. Asked the same question about Muslims and African-Americans, the yes responses fell to 33.5 percent and 27.2 percent, respectively. The yes responses for Asian-Americans, Hispanics, Jews and conservative Christians were 18.5 percent, 18.5 percent, 11.8 percent and 6.9 percent, respectively.

When asked which groups did not share their vision of American society, 39.5 percent of those interviewed mentioned atheists. Asked the same question about Muslims and homosexuals, the figures dropped to a slightly less depressing 26.3 percent and 22.6 percent, respectively. For Hispanics, Jews, Asian-Americans and African-Americans, they fell further to 7.6 percent, 7.4 percent, 7.0 percent and 4.6 percent, respectively.

The study contains other results, but these are sufficient to underline its gist: Atheists are seen by many Americans (especially conservative Christians) as alien and are, in the words of sociologist Penny Edgell, the study's lead researcher, "a glaring exception to the rule of increasing tolerance over the last 30 years."

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=1786422&page=1

From a study conducted by the University of Minnesota in 2006.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Adami

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »
Agreed, so you're fine with the fact that some white people discriminate against blacks, but some do not.

Can you also concede that some believers discriminate against non believers, even if you're not one of them?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
Agreed, so you're fine with the fact that some white people discriminate against blacks, but some do not.

Can you also concede that some believers discriminate against non believers, even if you're not one of them?

Furthermore Tick, your problem with Rumborak was that he made a comment about Believers downplaying discrimination against Atheists.  Isnt that exactly what you are doing when you call the entire idea "silly", or a "joke"?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »
Who really cares what studies say or it you believe in God.  People who discriminate against things like this do not deserve my company and I don't care to associate with them.  I would never push or discriminate because of one's belief.  I have friends who are very religious and others who are non believers and we never push our beliefs on each other.  

It's sad to know people do this.  I've seen it first hand and told people that I never want to associate with them again.  It's made my life better.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »

Wow.  Im sorry, and I may be way off, but I am certainly getting some strong emotional cues from your post.  When you start saying things like things are "a joke", and that you feel a poster is "adding insult to injury" directed to you, it seems clear to me that you are, for lack of a better word, agitated....or at least seem to be taking it personal.  I will go back and re-read the thread just to make sure I am not off base.

Also, if you feel that a discussion about Atheist discrimination is "silly" to begin with, then perhaps you should just not participate.  To deny that some people are not treated differently for their religious beliefs (or lack of) is what is silly.  I am the recipient of this type of treatment all the time, and I am only agnostic.
It really isnt your place to determine the validity or degree to which it takes place, especially when it is dealing with another persons personal experiences.
Eric, the only thing I should do and am able to do is share my opinion as does everyone else.
It that opinion is in opposition, I'm still entitled to it.
Why should I stay out of a discussion because I have my own thoughts on the thread starters position?
That would render this whole subsection unnecessary, would it not?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2011, 11:19:18 AM »

Eric, the only thing I should do and am able to do is share my opinion as does everyone else.
It that opinion is in opposition, I'm still entitled to it.
Why should I stay out of a discussion because I have my own thoughts on the thread starters position?
That would render this whole subsection unnecessary, would it not?

Then Rumboraks opinion is just as valid as yours, and you should refrain from referring to it as a "joke" or "silly", yes?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »

Obviously they do. Did I send the message that I don't believe that?

I have always contended that 100% of the people on this planet are prejudice to some degree. If they say otherwise they are either lying or in denial.

That's not to say they are racist, as that is a completely different entity.

Offline Adami

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »
I didn't say racist, obviously you can't  be racist against atheists.

But you said you were personally offended by the thread, didn't you? If you agreed with both of my previous statements, how could you be offended unless someone singled you out?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »
@Eric, Tick, Nick, at al:  I've already warned you all about going way off on trying to get into what you subjectively believe people's motives might be in the way they choose to post.  Discuss the topic at hand or leave the thread.  This is the last warning I'm going to give.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
Interesting tidbit from the study I linked to: people are as likely to vote for an Atheist as President of the United States as people were to vote for a black president... in 1964.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »
Interesting yes, but as I stated before I don't find that to be discrimination, people are free to vote for whomever they wish, for whatever reason they wish.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:49 AM »
Interesting tidbit from the study I linked to: people are as likely to vote for an Atheist as President of the United States as people were to vote for a black president... in 1964.

Then Im voting Rumborak 2056
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Adami

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
Interesting yes, but as I stated before I don't find that to be discrimination, people are free to vote for whomever they wish, for whatever reason they wish.

Yes, but with that definition, discrimination doesn't exist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »

Yes, it does. If Atheists were not allowed to vote THAT would be discrimination.

Offline Adami

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2011, 11:36:03 AM »

Yes, it does. If Atheists were not allowed to vote THAT would be discrimination.

That would be De Jour discrimination. It's not the only kind. Discrimination exists on a personal level, not just a legal one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
I don't believe in judging thoughts, only actions. Same reason I'm against hate crimes.

Offline Adami

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
I don't believe in judging thoughts, only actions. Same reason I'm against hate crimes.

So if a guy opens up a bar or something, and decides that under no circumstance would he allow black people in there, that wouldn't be discrimination?

It's not different than deciding that under no circumstance would I vote for a black person, it's discriminating.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »
There's a difference between a business and a personal vote.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »

So if a guy opens up a bar or something, and decides that under no circumstance would he allow black people in there, that wouldn't be discrimination?

It's not different than deciding that under no circumstance would I vote for a black person, it's discriminating.

Actually, not allowing black people in a business is punishable.  Not voting for them is not.
But being punishable is not the only factor.  Both forms are damaging.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »
And for the record, studies have shown that minorities choose to segregate more often than not naturally, and more often than white people, does that make them discriminatory? I think not.