Author Topic: Opening Live Song of the Mangini Era?  (Read 13699 times)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Re: Opening Live Song of the Mangini Era?
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 11:59:32 PM »
Take The Time just came to my mind. In my opinion, it would be a terrific opener, and the line "I need a new voice, new law, new way" fits pretty well.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »
You Not Me just came to my mind, the line "ITS ALL ABOUT YOUUU! NOOOT! MEEE!!!" fits pretty well.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2011, 02:25:53 AM »
Even though it's a long shot and highly unlikely, maybe they'll open with The Spirit Carries On. That would be awesome imo

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »
Whatever they open with is good with me, I just hope they end with Finally Free
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »

Yes, please. The drum solo at the end would be a perfect chance for Mangini to shine without taking a song from the set to put a drum solo.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online The Letter M

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »

Yes, please. The drum solo at the end would be a perfect chance for Mangini to shine without taking a song from the set to put a drum solo.

I like that, but let's put "Finally Free" at the end of the show (before the encore that is), and open the show with "The Glass Prison", so we get that "begins where it ends" effect with the static, just like the SCORE show which opened and closed like Octavarium. Or, if you want it as PART of the encore, then the encore could be "The Spirit Carries On"/"Finally Free", which would be a KILLER way of ending a show!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jsem

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:39 PM »
PMU, 6:00, As I Am, ITPOE pt1 are all songs that could be used.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
Assuming they don't play a new song, I feel they'll probably take the safe route and go with either AROP or As I Am.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline John94

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
For Dream Theaters own dates, I think it will be A Nightmare to Remember.

But, for festivals, I can see it being either Pull Me Under or Metropolis.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
Assuming they don't play a new song, I feel they'll probably take the safe route and go with either AROP or As I Am.
I don't think they've ever opened with A Rite of Passage, have they?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
Honor Thy Father would be a hell of a way to make an entrance.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
I don't think they've ever opened with A Rite of Passage, have they?
I don't think so, and I hope it stays that way. What an awful way to start a show. :/
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2011, 03:54:53 PM »

Was thinking the same thing when listening to it yesterday  :metal

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2011, 09:16:31 AM »

Yeah it'd be cool - MM would take the drum solo to new levels - but it's a Portnoy song so I doubt they'd do that.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »

lol sorry dirty mind
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2011, 09:25:40 AM »
Definitely something energetic. I'm thinking TROAE.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
Why is everyone assuming all the Portnoy-written songs will not be played? All of Kevin's songs, besides SDV, have been played. Same with Charlie's contributions. A lot of people said TBOT won't be played, yet a good group of people are saying ACOS will still be played.  ???

Online Adami

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
A lot of people said TBOT won't be played, yet a good group of people are saying ACOS will still be played.  ???

Well the difference there is that ACOS has been played live a great many times already and has become somewhat of a special occasion staple song. However TBOT has never been played, so it stands more of a chance of staying that way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2011, 11:37:22 AM »
Good point. Although many people's reasoning for that is because Portnoy wrote it, and not because it's never been played, so that's where I stand a little confused.

Online Adami

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2011, 11:39:06 AM »
Good point. Although many people's reasoning for that is because Portnoy wrote it, and not because it's never been played, so that's where I stand a little confused.

Well I think it's a little bit of both. Like if Petrucci had written it, it wouldn't matter that it hadn't been played yet. But since it's a very personal song for MP.......probably more personal than any other song DT has ever written, and he's not in the band anymore, they might be doing that as a sign of respect. I mean, I doubt the same rule would apply to other MP songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2011, 11:42:53 AM »
ANTR does start the show off with a bang.

They should play LTL its the hardest DT song on drums and Mangini has the chops to pull it off but sadly it will never happen.

ACOS would be a real treat but its hard to know for sure because of Mike's attachment to the song.

The Fans want ACOS so hopefully DT listens.

I don't think TBOT will be played though at least not on this tour.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »

My main reason for doubting that MP songs will appear in the set is mainly due to the lack of his vocals. Sure JP can do his backing vox but it won't be the same. For that reason i'd probably suggest that stuff like Constant Motion, TDEN, Honor Thy Father, maybe Glass Prison and anything else with an abundance of Portnoy vox probably won't get an outing, at least at first. They could do Nightmare with a guest growler or MM could man up and cookie monster them.

I honestly don't know what they're going to do about other lyrical content that is personal to Portnoy. ACOS barely gets played these days. TBOT is a certainty not to get played (probably ever unless MP returns). I don't know about the AA suite stuff but they probably won't do much of that at first either. Playing stuff really personal to Portnoy would seem a little tasteless and I don't think the other guys have that in them to do that. Songs with lyrical content that Portnoy wrote that isn't personal (Octavarium, New Millenium, his stuff in 6DOIT and his lyrics from Scenes) will probably be candidates to be played.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
Take The Time just came to my mind. In my opinion, it would be a terrific opener, and the line "I need a new voice, new law, new way" fits pretty well.

Double post, but can LaBrie sing it these days? They skipped the "Unbroken Spirit" section when they did the whole album in 2007 and Portnoy rapped the first part so that laBrie could hit "I THINK IT'S TIME FOR A CHEAAAAEAAAANGE". At least that's the impression I got anyway.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »

Double post, but can LaBrie sing it these days? They skipped the "Unbroken Spirit" section when they did the whole album in 2007 and Portnoy rapped the first part so that laBrie could hit "I THINK IT'S TIME FOR A CHEAAAAEAAAANGE". At least that's the impression I got anyway.
I hope they at least try to keep the unbroken spirit/pensive fear verse on the next tour, however Labrie struggled with it on the 8vm tour, If he pulls it off on the next tour ill be blown away.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »
Space dye vest

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
fortune in lies people!!!
that's a trashy riff and full on double bass beat...that will wake up the crowd!!
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »
fortune in lies people!!!
that's a trashy riff and full on double bass beat...that will wake up the crowd!!

im game
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
they could open with ANTR but the first few minutes and then go right into another song. Last tour they have been opening with that song for a long time now. Would be cool to open and then go right into something else.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »

I hope they at least try to keep the unbroken spirit/pensive fear verse on the next tour, however Labrie struggled with it on the 8vm tour, If he pulls it off on the next tour ill be blown away.

The only reason they stopped doing that is that Mike thought LaBrie wasn't capable.  Exactly like the "Pensive fear" section of Voices, even though he could sing it.  LaBrie wanted to sing it but Portnoy said no. Oh well.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2011, 04:34:08 PM »
Hell's Kitchen would be an epic opener, but i doubt it.
I would go with Finally Free for the epic drum solo, or play A nightmare to Remember, even though it was the opener on the last tour.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
If it weren't for the fact that half of the audiences won't have heard it, I'd say that On the Backs of Angels was suddenly looking quite viable.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »
big chris is one of the few members who's posts i actually read the entirety of.

hm.

otboa would be surprising as an opener, which is why i totally thought it wouldn't be so.

idk. i guess we'll see.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »
jonny08: I think you mean the thought disorder/dream control section of Voices. hehe.

bss4: I REALLY LOVE Finally Free, but I would hate to see that as an opener. I understand that because of the drum solo it could be cool, but I think it would suck the life out of the start of a concert. BUT, I DO think it could make a pretty sweet 1st set CLOSER!

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
Times have changed. It'll be something no one here would ever think of!
Thanks,
Dave

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »
I hope they open with a classic DT song and then move into OtBoA.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies