Author Topic: The "New York City 3/4/93" Show Appreciation Thread  (Read 9110 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: The "New York City 3/4/93" Show Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »
You guys are so official  :lol

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »

Well I've only been a fan for less than a decade, and I'm not made of money  :lol

Great collection, though! Nice stuff :tup I spot the Japanese release of LATM, which I recently got as well! Love the complete run of "Another Day"/"Another Hand"/"The Killing Hand".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
Ahahaha, well... I've been a fan for only four years...  ;)

Besides that, not to disappoint, you, but my version of LATM is the perfectly regular one with Surrounded, bought in a regular store in the mall half a mile away from my home  :D

I'm pretty proud of what is shown here, though. And of what is not explicitly shown too ;)
- Marco

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 04:18:23 PM »
Wow, James sure sounds weird on this one.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 04:19:58 PM »
Wow, James sure sounds weird on this one.

What do you mean? It's a slightly above average performance for the second US leg of the IaW tour.  :laugh:
- Marco

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
His voice sounds different, fuller & deeper than on the studio albums from around the same time.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »
His voice sounds different, fuller & deeper than on the studio albums from around the same time.

Well, James retained his studio voice for about one week of touring. Than something tragic happened due to fatigue, I gues, and he had to adapt. If that bugs you, I'm glad you didn't hear the May shows in Buffalo and Providence. Those two bug even me  :lol
- Marco

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
Are any of the cover series worth a darn?
 :metal

I'd say The Dark Side Of The Moon, mostly because it's got the bonus disc A Saucerful of Floyd, which covers their various Pink Floyd covers over the years!

The compilation Uncovered 2003-2005 is pretty good too! Great selection of songs!

The others are good if you're into those bands' original songs. I'm not much into Iron Maiden or Metallica, but they're good albums nonetheless. The Deep Purple one is pretty good, too.

-Marc.

The Darkside of The Moon cover is perfect. The best part is how great JR does on Any Colour You Like, thry play it better than PF does.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »

What are the bootlegs at the top right, one below that, and the Train of Thought 2003 bootleg 2 diagonally left-down from the top right?

Amazing collection by the way.  :tup

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 12:05:25 AM »

What are the bootlegs at the top right, one below that, and the Train of Thought 2003 bootleg 2 diagonally left-down from the top right?

Amazing collection by the way.  :tup

Madrid 2004 (Multiusos La Cubierta), Milwaukee 93 (June) (Lord Of Sound), and Frankfurt 04. I never listen to the last one anymore, for some reason.
- Marco

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 06:21:33 AM »
The original version of ACOS succeed in bringing an already awesome show to a much higher level of awesomeness. That song should really have been played more often on that tour...
No shit! I saw them 6 days later and you can fit the entire Boston show on one 80 minute CD!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 06:26:00 AM »
The original version of ACOS succeed in bringing an already awesome show to a much higher level of awesomeness. That song should really have been played more often on that tour...
No shit! I saw them 6 days later and you can fit the entire Boston show on one 80 minute CD!

Yeah! Those winter NA shows were quite short, actually.
- Marco

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »

Yeah! Those winter NA shows were quite short, actually.
Yeah, they played the entire I&W and AFIL and Ytse jam. That was it. In the October 92 show (which is the only show that I saw that I don't have a boot from..Marco!) we got the entire I&W, plus The Killing Hand, Ytse Jam, and Only A Matter Of Time. When they came back in December, they swapped out OAMOT for Oh Holy Night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 07:13:12 AM »
You went to this show? Holy shit, I would have payed to have a recording of it! Do you remember how was James that night? Three days before he was super awesome, two days later his voice was already halfway compromised for his vocal abuses on stage, I believe.
- Marco

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 05:56:45 PM »
Was listening to this well before it was ever officially released and always did love this show. Portnoy was smart to choose this as the one to end up representing that tour.

What he said!

Offline idlewoodarian

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2015, 10:21:25 AM »
Just listened to it for the first time, it's definitely one of their best live albums (no that I've listened to them all). Such a classic setlist... The sound is good, at first hearing how loud Portnoy's kick was I thought it would give me a headache but it was very listenable. I haven't really picked up on all the differences with ACOS's 1995 studio version though, I'll have to listen to it again.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »
I haven't really picked up on all the differences with ACOS's 1995 studio version though, I'll have to listen to it again.

Really? :huh: It's quite different from the first note alone, especially the whole intro, and the last instrumental section. The piece as a whole is missing the intro and outro guitar parts, and some of the lyrics are quite different as well.

I guess I just assume most fans on here are really familiar with ACOS as a whole, at least, enough to know how different the '93 version is from the EP version.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2015, 11:58:58 AM »
I haven't really picked up on all the differences with ACOS's 1995 studio version though, I'll have to listen to it again.

The differences definitely aren't subtle.   Maybe you're comparing the same track to itself?

Offline idlewoodarian

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
The thing is ACOS is the last Dream Theater release I've picked up so I'm far from knowing it perfectly, and I wasn't paying the utmost attention while listening to the NY live album. So of course it sounded a bit different but I expected a something more drastic.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
Give them both a closer listen.  The intro to both songs is completely different.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
It'll certainly seem kinda different for someone who's very familiar with ACOS'95. But, most of the parts in the original version are still intact, just with a bit of development and variation. The intro being different stands out like  sore thumb, and the outro of the original is different. Otherwise, it has the same structure. Going through all the seasons and whatnot.

Offline idlewoodarian

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 04:45:09 AM »
I gave it another listen and yeah, the intro is completely different, but I just don't know the studio version to pick up the rest of the differences. It's okay, it's just that I've often seen fans consider the studio version to be a complete betrayal of the early live versions, so I expected something huge.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2015, 05:31:32 AM »
Personally I much prefer the studio version.... it is much more refined and balanced

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2015, 05:32:52 AM »
I gave it another listen and yeah, the intro is completely different, but I just don't know the studio version to pick up the rest of the differences. It's okay, it's just that I've often seen fans consider the studio version to be a complete betrayal of the early live versions, so I expected something huge.

I love the original version and there are some parts I wish they would have kept from it, but I love the newer version even more.  That whole five minute intro before the vocals come in is one of my favorite Dream Theater musical moments.  Hearing the low 'B' from Petrucci's guitar to start off the song is perfect.