Author Topic: The Official 2011-2012 NHL Thread  (Read 145082 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: The Official 2011-2012 NHL Thread
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2011, 07:55:36 AM »
What an interesting draft.
I knew Landeskog would go high...only Nugent-Hopkins hype got him drafted first. Landeskog is the real deal.

SO many Swedes taken..................and not a single Russian. They predict not a single Russian may go at all. Even the ones playing here in the OHL are subject to some kind of nasty transfer arrangement.

If Seteguchi is another Milan Michalek then the Sharks Wild trade is a tad more balanced. I'm not sold on Brent Burns, concussion issues, and so on....he's just this year's Brian Campbell. Speaking of Soupy....he's a Panther. What a play by the Hawks. I compare that trade to the Toronto Blue Jays unloading Vernon Wells on Anaheim......here...have a stupid contract. I guess the Panthers feel they'll get a Wade Redden type player who can get them to the salary floor over the next few years.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2011, 08:41:01 AM »
I lied... the Avs are 20mill under the cap min.

I don't know what is up with this team. They have lost almost all personality and trade away anyone with any. The guys that would make you laugh are almost all gone. Any guys that outright showed strong passion are gone. Boring team is boring.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2011, 01:47:41 PM »
What an interesting draft.
I knew Landeskog would go high...only Nugent-Hopkins hype got him drafted first. Landeskog is the real deal.

SO many Swedes taken..................and not a single Russian. They predict not a single Russian may go at all. Even the ones playing here in the OHL are subject to some kind of nasty transfer arrangement.

If Seteguchi is another Milan Michalek then the Sharks Wild trade is a tad more balanced. I'm not sold on Brent Burns, concussion issues, and so on....he's just this year's Brian Campbell. Speaking of Soupy....he's a Panther. What a play by the Hawks. I compare that trade to the Toronto Blue Jays unloading Vernon Wells on Anaheim......here...have a stupid contract. I guess the Panthers feel they'll get a Wade Redden type player who can get them to the salary floor over the next few years.

I was STUNNED by the Flyers trades, but I have to say VERY impressed (rumors of the locker room rift must have been true). The Flyers are going to be scary good for the forseeable future with these trades and their draft picks.

I can't believe Larsson made it to number 4. I would have picked him first. Lucky Lou does it again! There was no way Lou was passing on this guy. Specifically addresses the Devils need for a puck moving defenseman.

The Islanders did well for themselves too. I like the guy they picked although I didn't think there were going to do it. Strome and Tavares could be the next Trottier and Bossy (Or at least as close as that's ever going to come).

I can't believe that teams like Chicago, Philadelphia, and New York sign players to insanely bad contracts and then be able to trade away these mistakes SO EASILY. How does this happen?

Burns is said to be over the concussion issue. My issue with him is that they have him for one year and then could lose him after paying so much. I think the reason that it cost the Sharks so much was that the Devils were probably trying to get him too.

I don't think you'll see another high-drafted Russian until the NHL's shootout with the KHL is settled one way or another.  Way too many unknowns when NHL teams can't control player development.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
speaking of bad deals.....alex tanguay anyone?

good grief calgary does stupid stuff.....they probably think they're rewarding him for an "ok" season where took a cut of 1.75 to prove himself....

I like Murray drafting an 0ttawa 67....Sharks GM has long known (since he played there) that the 67's build quality team members not individual stars.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »
Time for Nick's thoughts on the off-season dealings of the Flyers.

Flyers trade AHL Forward, third round pick, and conditional pick for the rights to Ilya Bryzgalov:
What the fuck Flyers? Didn't you learn anything from the Hamhuis deal? Why in the fuck are you trading a third round pick on the possibility of signing a goalie? In any case Ilya had been a strong goalie in Phoenix and it might be worth what we're giving up if we get him. My main issue is his lack of playoff success, which is where our previous cheaper goalies always faltered anyway.

Flyers trade Jeff Carter for Jakub Voracek, a first round pick (#8), and a third round pick:
Awesome trade. We knew that cap space had to be made to sign Ilya and this got it done, and in the process we got some much needed draft picks, including a nice 8th overall pick. I've always felt Carter was a bit overrated in that he is a one dimensional player. You get him the puck in the right spot and he'll give you a good shot. He's not an overly amazing skater, he's not great on defense, he doesn't make big plays happen and he's not at all physical. Jakub has some potential and being RFA we should get him signed at a good price. The next bit of news I expect to hear is the signing of Ilya.

Flyers trade captain Mike Richards for Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds and a 2nd round draft pick:
What. the. fuck? I will start by saying Richards is my favorite Flyer, and I think the deserving captain of the team over the past few years. I don't think we should have traded him, and if we were going to we should have got more for him. In comparison to Carter you have a guy who got just as many points last season, but has been considered one of the best two way forwards in the league and who plays with a fantastic physical edge. Schenn is a nice pickup, but we should have got a first round pick with him, not a second. I understand it was possible another move had to be made to get people other than Ilya signed, but it should have been Hartnell or Versteeg saying bye-bye.

Flyers sign Ilya Bryzgalov for 9 years, 51 million dollars (5.6/year):
Not a huge fan of the deal. I had envisioned that after 3-4 years the Flyers would finally have a solid goaltender trained from within the organization to step up as a lead goalie, notably Sergei Brobrofski. Ilya could easily be worth his contract, but on the other hand this could be a tremendous flop for the Flyers. Only next season will really show what he can do. As I'll get to later he won't have too much help...

In the aftermath:
My biggest issue with all the trades is they didn't get us what we needed more than even a goalie, which was a good young defender or two. I would have gladly even given up Kimmo or Pronger in the process, but what we needed to do was to reduce the age on our defense. Between the two I just named we have over 12 million in cap hit and they are both getting old fast. Not saying they are going to crap out this year, but they are certainly slowing down. So we end up trading away two top forwards for forward prospects, bringing down the age of an already very young offense while the top of our defensive core continues to age.

What's left before July?:
SIGN VILLE FUCKING LEINO. I swear to god, after parting with Carter and Richards, if the Flyers don't sign Leino I'm going to start flipping shit. The man has been a great winger with the team and deserves a good contract, and now the $ are there for it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »
It's too bad for the Flyers that Emery's hip was fucked up.  For a while there, it looked like he was going to solve all of Philly's (overstated, albeit) goaltending woes.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2011, 06:30:43 AM »
Nick, were the Flyers not happy with Bobrovski? From afar, he seemed like the goalie of the future. He played pretty well didn't he? That kid that was taken at #8 looks pretty solid, though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2011, 08:21:01 AM »
What I don't understand is, if there was a rift in the dressing room...ie: Richards crew vs. Pronger's crew....why stick with the 100 year old mostly retired/injured defenseman's group?
Ship out the disentors, not the captain. Oh wait....Richards didn't like the coach either.....
Im not overly concerned about the term of the Bryz deal. It's front loaded...the final 4 aren't completely "untradeable".

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2011, 11:29:53 AM »
speaking of bad deals.....alex tanguay anyone?

good grief calgary does stupid stuff.....they probably think they're rewarding him for an "ok" season where took a cut of 1.75 to prove himself....

As a Flames fan, I would have preferred maybe a two or three year deal to a five year deal. A cap hit of $3.5 million isn't awful though. I was also disappointed with the Regehr deal - he was a fantastic defenceman and we got pretty much nothing for him. At least they got rid of Kotalik's salary  though.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2011, 12:02:45 PM »
Nick, were the Flyers not happy with Bobrovski? From afar, he seemed like the goalie of the future. He played pretty well didn't he? That kid that was taken at #8 looks pretty solid, though.

Fans were quite happy with Bob, but I think we generally understood he was young and had issues to work out. I think most of us figured that we'd do something in the short run to give Bob time to develop.

What I don't understand is, if there was a rift in the dressing room...ie: Richards crew vs. Pronger's crew....why stick with the 100 year old mostly retired/injured defenseman's group?
Ship out the disentors, not the captain. Oh wait....Richards didn't like the coach either.....
Im not overly concerned about the term of the Bryz deal. It's front loaded...the final 4 aren't completely "untradeable".

What happens behind closed doors is always hard to judge, but I generally agree we should have gone with the young captain as opposed to the aging defenseman.

For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »
Sounds like there's significant realignment discussion being kicked around.

https://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2011/06/22/18321961.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

That proposal sounds pretty good for western conference teams. It's a lot easier to split it two ways than three and with a balanced schedule you'd have less games on the west coast which kill tv ratings for teams east of the Rockies, especially for Detroit and Columbus. Not sure how you'd get both of them east short of having unbalanced conferences however, which is a lot more problematic than unbalanced divisions, not to mention is undermined if a franchise relocates to eastern Canada.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2011, 08:41:37 PM »
Sounds like there's significant realignment discussion being kicked around.

https://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2011/06/22/18321961.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

I had heard about this before, but not about the division names, which this article reports as Pacific, Midwest, East and South. What I don't like about those divisions is that it seems highly unlikely that the four western Canadian teams would be in the same division. It seems like quite a stretch to call Vancouver a Midwestern city or Winnipeg a Pacific city.

That proposal sounds pretty good for western conference teams. It's a lot easier to split it two ways than three and with a balanced schedule you'd have less games on the west coast which kill tv ratings for teams east of the Rockies, especially for Detroit and Columbus. Not sure how you'd get both of them east short of having unbalanced conferences however, which is a lot more problematic than unbalanced divisions, not to mention is undermined if a franchise relocates to eastern Canada.

I don't think it's fair to say that the divisions or conferences would suddenly be "unbalanced" just because of a realignment. Sometimes a team that is awful one year suddenly becomes dominant the next year. That isn't really all that different than swapping Atlanta with Detroit (under the existing system), for example.

--------------------

EDIT: I decided to take a stab at what I think the four new divisions could look like. Although these seem more logical, I'd much rather see Winnipeg in the Pacific with the other Western Canadian teams. Perhaps if Phoenix relocates in the next few years Winnipeg will have a chance. Of course if the Coyotes end up going to Quebec you're stuck with pushing Detroit back into the West.

Pacific:
Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Anaheim Ducks
Phoenix Coyotes

Midwest:
Winnipeg Jets
Minnesota Wild
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
St. Louis Blues
Chicago Blackhawks
Nashville Predators

East:
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Buffalo Sabres
Boston Bruins
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils

South:
Detroit Red Wings
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
Columbus Blue Jackets
Washington Capitals
Carolina Hurricanes
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:20:16 PM by Global Laziness »
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
Oh and I just had another thought. Imagine if somehow Winnipeg won their division this year. For the rest of the team's history, they'd have a "Winnipeg Jets - Southeast Division Champions" banner hanging in their arena.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »
Ed Belfour, Doug Gilmour, Mark Howe and Joe Nieuwendyk inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame

2 devils into the hall of fame, not too shabby, but they are still trying to avoid pat burns.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2011, 01:24:27 PM »
Avs decide not to qualify Elliot... said do not intend to sign Budaj earlier this year as well. So the Avalanche are planning on putting a defenseman into some pads or what?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2011, 01:24:56 PM »
vokoun.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
i guess so, there aren't a whole lot of legitimates left out there. we are resigning moose, so the pool is shrinking.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
Baffled by Nieuwendyk's induction.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »
^^really?^^

He was the easiet choice for me.
Followed by Belfour.

Fear not av's fan..there are goalies out there to be had.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2011, 06:26:22 PM »
Nieuwendyk was never one of the league's best forwards at any time during his career, and despite playing mostly in the highest-scoring era of the NHL didn't manage a point-per-game over his career.

It's a pro-Leaf bias.  How is Nieuwendyk more worthy than Lindros or Bure?  Or Oates?

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
It's a pro-Leaf bias.

That might be a bit of a stretch.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »
It's a pro-Leaf bias.

That might be a bit of a stretch.

Of the four inducted this year three were Leafs at some point in their career... and the fourth was once a Marlie.

It's pretty well-known that Leafs are overrepresented in the Hall.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2011, 08:31:41 PM »
Got to agree with GP that Oates should have gone in instead of Nieuwendyk

Nieuwendyk, Games--1257.  Points--1126

Oates, Games--1337, Points-- 1420

Oates.  More point in less games.  that cannot be said for Nieuwendyk.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
No shock.  The B's are trying to trade Kaberle and his negotiating rights to other teams.

https://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21116066/report-bs-looking-trade-kaberles-rights
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2011, 05:37:25 AM »
Ed Belfour, Doug Gilmour, Mark Howe and Joe Nieuwendyk inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame

2 devils into the hall of fame, not too shabby, but they are still trying to avoid pat burns.

The Hall should be ashamed that they didn't induct Burns while he was alive. A Damn shame!

I don't have a major problem with Nieuwendyk. But Mark Howe?? Really?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2011, 05:43:51 AM »
Got to agree with GP that Oates should have gone in instead of Nieuwendyk

Nieuwendyk, Games--1257.  Points--1126

Oates, Games--1337, Points-- 1420

Oates.  More point in less games.  that cannot be said for Nieuwendyk.

Umm... 1337 > 1257

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2011, 06:00:44 AM »
Nick.  More games yes.  But what I pointed out was that Oates still had a hundred points more that his games played but JN had 100 points less than his games played.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2011, 06:53:51 AM »
That is more points per game, you said more points in less games which was incorrect.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2011, 06:58:55 AM »
That is more points per game, you said more points in less games which was incorrect.

Me egrish isim pour.  sorry!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »
How long had Newy been up for induction compared to Oates.
It might just be a timing thing.

Lindros.....should be there..but there are going to be people that fight that one. The guy was a dick, and they don't like to induct people on "shoulda coulda" criteria.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2011, 08:22:56 AM »
This was Nieuwendyk's second year of eligibility.  Completely unwarranted.

As for Lindros, the whole "being a dick" factor didn't stop Belfour or Gilmour.  The guy should be in there, for sure.  He was the power forward, and before injuries started wrecking him, he was right up there with Lemieux, Jagr, and Gretzky.

Neely got in, deservedly.  So should Lindros and Bure.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »
Is Lindros even near the tops of any all-time lists? I don't think he should get in, but I am probably biased ha

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »
But "tops of all time" lists are usually pretty shit.  They tend to rate team success higher than individual success, and focus on longevity rather than peak.

Lindros was one of the best players of the 90s, and the early Dead Puck era.  He deserves to get into the Hall.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »
Lindros would go in for his "potential" not his actual numbers.

Neely did 50 in under 50 after coming back from a serious injury.
That alone got him in.

If I had a vote.
lindros would not get in

Happy Lives to you all.