Author Topic: The Official 2011-2012 NHL Thread  (Read 145028 times)

Offline BMWWrstlr

• Official DTF flag-thrower
Re: The Official 2011-2012 NHL Thread
« Reply #315 on: October 12, 2011, 04:57:25 PM »
The Avs have played 2 games this season... how do you know they are bad?

Varlamov has played outstanding so far - stopping 66 of 68 shots in two games. The two shots that did get past were lasers by Detroit. Defense has bulked up, they don't just bounce off guys and fall over (Chara getting knocked down one example). Offense is brand spanking new, tons of young talent that need to get their NHL jitters out. When they click, it could be magic.

Do not take the Avs for granted this season, they made a heck of a lot of changes since last year.

I'm not taking the Avs for granted, I appreciate their badness.

They aren't visiting the playoffs without tickets...I guarantee it.
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #316 on: October 12, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
Chknptpie and BMW are both partly right...Varlamov did a real good job against Detroit, those shots would have beat most goalies on their game.  The Avs don't have the offensive firepower to win games consistantly.  I don't see the Avs making the playoffs.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #317 on: October 12, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
Yeah. Like the Avs at all, but I really don't think they have much of a chance to make the playoffs.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #318 on: October 12, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
Yeah Flyers!  Wooooooo!
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #319 on: October 12, 2011, 08:45:40 PM »
Yeah Flyers!  Wooooooo!

QFT!

Hopefully they can keep it up on Saturday when I'm at the game!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »
Philly fans sink to new lows

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/msn/philadelphia_flyers_fans_boo_anti_cancer_ad_featuring_rival_players_during_game/7391497?GT1=39002

Booing cancers PSA's because they feature players from other teams  :loser:
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #321 on: October 13, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
Avs v.s Sens tonight.

a battle of conference basements....we shall see.
The Sens really covetted Landaskog but settled for Zibanejad instead.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #322 on: October 13, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
I'm glad the Sens didn't get Landeskog.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #323 on: October 13, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »
My resident Florida Panthers look better this year with their off-season aquisitions.
But "better" is a relative term, depending on how much you previously sucked.
But better is something.  I think they may have just enough to sneak into the playoffs.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: October 13, 2011, 12:01:03 PM »
No Vokoun means that other improvements won't make enough impact to matter. Florida will not make the playoffs.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #325 on: October 13, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
Jose Theodore is good enough.  Have you seen Vokoun play this season with Washington?  He didnt even start the first game.
He was AWFUL.  He may not even be their #1 goalie.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #326 on: October 13, 2011, 12:39:22 PM »
Avs v.s Sens tonight.

a battle of conference basements....we shall see.
The Sens really covetted Landaskog but settled for Zibanejad instead.

??? Avs are tied for 1st in the western conference.

I'm glad the Sens didn't get Landeskog.

So far I'm really liking the kid. Scored with 40 someodd seconds left in the 3rd period to tie it. Let the Avs steal a win from CJB.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #327 on: October 13, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »
Jose Theodore is good enough.  Have you seen Vokoun play this season with Washington?  He didnt even start the first game.
He was AWFUL.  He may not even be their #1 goalie.

Vokoun has been the most valuable player in the league since the lockout.  No way Florida is as good without him.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #328 on: October 13, 2011, 02:18:11 PM »
Funny how the "MVP" almost didnt get signed...and only got a 1 yr contract for far less money than he was looking for.  Vokoun is a very good goalie...but I think you may be overstating his value.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #329 on: October 13, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »
Vokoun is a very good goalie but not an MVP though his save % and GA are very good for his career.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #330 on: October 13, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »
Goaltender is the most important position in hockey.  Tomas Vokoun has been the best goalie since the lockout.  He did so while playing on some of the worst teams.  Therefore, Tomas Vokoun has been the most valuable player since the lockout.

EDIT: Here's a link to one of Alan Ryder's statistical break-downs of NHL seasons.

By his model of Player Contribution (similar to GVT and Point Shares), Vokoun was the most valuable player from 2005-06 to 2009-10 by a relatively large margin, as well as the most valuable player in the league in four of those seasons (2005-06, 2007-08, 2008-09, and 2009-10).  He hasn't published the 2011 version yet.

According to point shares, Vokoun has been in the top 3 four times since the lockout (same seasons as mentioned above), and has the second-most in total in that time-frame (after Roberto Luongo).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:56:07 PM by GuineaPig »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: October 13, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
:victorydance: fuuuuuu Anderson

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #332 on: October 13, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:27:10 PM by blackngold29 »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: October 13, 2011, 08:13:27 PM »
Goaltender is the most important position in hockey.  Tomas Vokoun has been the best goalie since the lockout.  He did so while playing on some of the worst teams.  Therefore, Tomas Vokoun has been the most valuable player since the lockout.

EDIT: Here's a link to one of Alan Ryder's statistical break-downs of NHL seasons.

By his model of Player Contribution (similar to GVT and Point Shares), Vokoun was the most valuable player from 2005-06 to 2009-10 by a relatively large margin, as well as the most valuable player in the league in four of those seasons (2005-06, 2007-08, 2008-09, and 2009-10).  He hasn't published the 2011 version yet.

According to point shares, Vokoun has been in the top 3 four times since the lockout (same seasons as mentioned above), and has the second-most in total in that time-frame (after Roberto Luongo).

Your whole quote fails since he was second to  Roberto Luongo.  Numbers don't tell you everything.  Just like Luingo, who is a mental case who, with all those great stats last year and the playoffs should he wasn't mentally strong enough.  Maybe Vocoon has played so well because he has no pressure on him.  I'm not saying he isn't a very good to great goaltender but MVP......no way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline tofee35

« Reply #334 on: October 13, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »

Tim Thomas would disagree

This is my fiance's hand, both showing the size difference between her engagement ring and the champ ring while gloating from her 5th row seats at the Garden while I sit in my crappy California apartment. I was coming here to share this, but then thought I'd jump in on the goaltender discussion and say that TT is the best goalie in the league. I don't even need stats to prove it. I've been a goaltender for 20 years (including a tournament or 2 in Canada...yes Canada) therefore my opinion wins and I submit as fact.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #335 on: October 13, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »

Your whole quote fails since he was second to  Roberto Luongo.  Numbers don't tell you everything.  Just like Luingo, who is a mental case who, with all those great stats last year and the playoffs should he wasn't mentally strong enough.  Maybe Vocoon has played so well because he has no pressure on him.  I'm not saying he isn't a very good to great goaltender but MVP......no way.

Tim Thomas would disagree *snip*
This is my fiance's hand, both showing the size difference between her engagement ring and the champ ring while gloating from her 5th row seats at the Garden while I sit in my crappy California apartment. I was coming here to share this, but then thought I'd jump in on the goaltender discussion and say that TT is the best goalie in the league. I don't even need stats to prove it. I've been a goaltender for 20 years (including a tournament or 2 in Canada...yes Canada) therefore my opinion wins and I submit as fact.

I'd say it's a toss-up between Tim Thomas and Jonas Hiller.  Depends how you view Thomas' previous season (was it regression to the mean, or injury troubles, or how much of both?), and whether or not he'll regress this year.  Goalie parity means the days of there being a clear #1 in the league are over (the last one was Dominik Hasek).

But Vokoun has been more valuable since the lockout.  Partly because he's played more games, partly because he's played on much worse teams.  Thomas has been valuable, yes, and I'd argue by a significant margin the most valuable last season.

And just for the record, Vokoun has been great in all the times he's been called upon in playoff-style formats.  Whether in the NHL playoffs (sv % 0.922), the World Championships (0.941), or the Olympics (0.936).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:25:24 PM by GuineaPig »

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: October 13, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »
First win of the season for Calgary has me grinning. Two goals for Bourque in a 4-1 win over Montreal.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #337 on: October 13, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »
Eeeek Ottawa.....eek.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: October 13, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
Eeeek Ottawa.....eek.

It was reunion night...the 1993 version took the ice.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #339 on: October 14, 2011, 08:53:18 PM »
lol dipietro out with concussion from a rolston shot. i bet he was nowhere near the net. #rolstonshootswideleft
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #340 on: October 14, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »
lol dipietro out with concussion from a rolston shot. i bet he was nowhere near the net. #rolstonshootswideleft

Every fucking year like clockwork. :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: October 15, 2011, 08:51:07 AM »
At least it was a puck this time and not a fist.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #342 on: October 15, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »

Tim Thomas would disagree *snip*

I'd say it's a toss-up between Tim Thomas and Jonas Hiller.  Depends how you view Thomas' previous season (was it regression to the mean, or injury troubles, or how much of both?), and whether or not he'll regress this year.  Goalie parity means the days of there being a clear #1 in the league are over (the last one was Dominik Hasek).

But Vokoun has been more valuable since the lockout.  Partly because he's played more games, partly because he's played on much worse teams.  Thomas has been valuable, yes, and I'd argue by a significant margin the most valuable last season.

And just for the record, Vokoun has been great in all the times he's been called upon in playoff-style formats.  Whether in the NHL playoffs (sv % 0.922), the World Championships (0.941), or the Olympics (0.936).

Except Vokoun=no championships, no individual awards.
In a world where stats don't mean much, trophies do, Vokoun isn't near the best. It's like the Crosby-Ovechkin debate, if you think Ovechkin is the better player, which I don't, Crosby has a Stanley Cup and a Gold Medal.

/discussion

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #343 on: October 15, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »
It's not /discussion.

Vokoun should've won the 2006, 2008, and 2010 Vezinas (and in the spirit of the award, the Harts for those years as well) at the least.  If the awards voters weren't moronic and realized that wins aren't a good measure of goaltending ability, he probably would have at least one or two.

And stats do mean everything when it comes to goaltending.  The way a goalie helps his team win is by making saves at a high rate.  Vokoun's been making saves at the highest rate of any goalie in the league once you adjust for defensive measures.  No one would say a player who scores 50 goals and 50 assists is less valuable or less of a player than a guy who scores 20 goals and 20 assists and wins the Stanley Cup.

I think Ovechkin has had a better career than Crosby to this point.  They're comparable, but Ovechkin has been the league's most prolific goal-scorer, and his style of player is more valuable to his team.  Crosby may be the better player now (goal-scorers tend to peak early in their careers), but the Cup and Gold Medal don't factor into it.  Both Crosby and Ovechkin have been excellent playoff performers.

And for the record, Vokoun has won two world championships, 2005 and 2010.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: October 15, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »
GP knows what's up.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #345 on: October 15, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
won another one after being down 2, not too shabby devils.

also, lol rags, i think isles might make it to the playoffs before the rags can even dream of it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »
Finally a B's win.  They've been playing great defensively but struggling to put the puck in the net.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2011, 09:54:43 AM »
Wewt, OG Jets beat imposter Jets at home opener.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »
Pretty much the most badass goal horn known to mankind, and it will never be topped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216HO3idYJ8

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »
Pretty much the most badass goal horn known to mankind, and it will never be topped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216HO3idYJ8

How long before it kills somebody?

dipietro out with concussion from a rolston shot. i bet he was nowhere near the net. #rolstonshootswideleft

Every fucking year like clockwork.

Rolston has already proven his worth and the Devils will have a deep playoff run.   Win-Win.

And Guinea Pig knows what he's talking about.

I really would have wanted to watch that Islanders-Rangers game (And Hockey Night In Canada), but I had a date with the family in the front row for Carl Palmer and his band. (Which I still can't believe happened twice and Dream Theater led the week off)

I did see a few Rangers shirts there, but resisted. The wife was proud.

Besides, The Carl Palmer Band is just one of those things that trumps the Battle Of New York in the regular season.