Author Topic: New Facebook Feature: Cool or Creepy?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
New Facebook Feature: Cool or Creepy?
« on: June 14, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFhgk_rn6o&feature=player_embedded#at=168

Seems overblown. Everything is voluntary and agreed to on Facebook and the new technology is only used among friends and even then you have the ultimate say so with privacy controls.

Thoughts?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: New Facebook Feature: Cool or Creepy?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »
I don't particularly like Facebook, but this is an non-issue in my view. Pictures are information, just like my "favorite music" field, and it should be expected by everyone that Facebook will try to index this information and cross-link it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
Creepy, but I think the entirety of Facebook is creepy, so I may not be the best judge on this matter.

Also, no one who has put pictures already on Facebook agreed to anything like this, and facebook is notorious for changing their user end agreement and privacy statements without letting people on Facebook actually agree to the changes, or keep the original agreement in tact. I believe some European countries are actually starting to go after facebook for this reason.

Just ask yourself this: if the government proposed something like this, would you be okay? Why is it okay becuase a corporation does it?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »
It is cool.  It is also creepy.

But people who sign up on Facebook are voluntarily putting their info and images out there.  There's nothing out there that they didn't put there, so I have no sympathy for them when they complain.

Yes, Facebook is always messing around with their default settings and stuff, and no one reads the user agreements anyway, but Facebook doesn't have anything you didn't give it, and no system is secure.  If there's something you don't want the entire world to see, don't post it anywhere.  Once it's out there on a server somewhere, it can and will end up in the wrong hands.  It's amazing that people still don't get that.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
But the problem is people put up information on the site under certain sets of privacy rules, which are then changed on them, and that data is still up there. I mean, I agree with you (it's why I don't like facebook), but it's still wrong for them to change what they say will stay private, and then use what you already gave. People didn't upload those photos with the agreement that this software would be used, now the software is being used and its being assumed they agree. That's wrong.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
Yeah, that's true.  But it's only being used among people to whom they've given their permission to see the pictures in the first place (friends), and while I haven't read the whole thing, I'd bet money that the Facebook end user agreement has one of those wonderful clauses that says that they reserve the right to change the rules at any time.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 09:06:06 PM »
Facebook may know what I look like, but they would be hard pressed to understand one damn thing I write on that sight. :lol

I don't take Facebook serious and it reflects in the things I say there.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
I think my wife and I are the last two NOT on facebook.

Though I read an article this morning saying the site saw "noticeable" decline in the last two months worldwide.

I doubt it will tank like myspace..but....could it have peaked?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:07:42 AM »
I think my wife and I are the last two NOT on facebook.

Though I read an article this morning saying the site saw "noticeable" decline in the last two months worldwide.

I doubt it will tank like myspace..but....could it have peaked?
Your missing nothing, and yeah, it has probably peaked. Its time to tweet! :lol

Seriously though. There is no depth of conversation on Facebook, for me. It bores me so I don't really use it.

To each his own.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
It's not for everyone, but there are people with a certain naturally social personality for whom it works very well.  I went to a high school with 1200 students, but because I was in band and a number of classes that spanned grades, I knew probably 1/4 of the student body personally, and have 100 of them on my Facebook.  Apparently it's not the norm, but I had a hell of a good time in high school, seeing these people every day, playing music, learning stuff, and smoking out behind the fieldhouse at lunch time.

My point is that via Facebook, I'm still hanging out with these people.  We shoot the shit about current events, and reminisce about old times.  With all the pictures, I know what they look like, so it's not hard to imagine the conversations being almost face-to-face.  It's like a discussion board of all people I've met and known in real life, and sometimes there's real depth of conversation.  It's whatever you make of it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »
You know what?  If I wanted myself tagged in a picture I would have done it myself.

Among my friends on facebook I'm known for untagging pictures of myself I don't like (which are most of them).