Author Topic: CNN GOP Debate  (Read 5152 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: CNN GOP Debate
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »
Can we keep these regurgitations of mantras at a minimum in this thread? It's about GOP candidates, not whether "government can create wealth" (whatever that means).

In the end I thought Romney seemed the only even remotely reasonable candidate. But, I also didn't watch the whole thing. As I said, nobody was addressing any questions posed to them, and they all sounded alike. Which I think will be one of GOP's biggest problems. They got either loonies, or colorless people running for president at this point.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »
Yeah, and that global warming thing sure ain't happening.

It took a lot of restraint to ignore the ludicrous statement about "The environment is fine, it's cleaner than in the 1970s!"
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline PraXis

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
Yeah, and that global warming thing sure ain't happening.

It took a lot of restraint to ignore the ludicrous statement about "The environment is fine, it's cleaner than in the 1970s!"

In America it is for sure. Not China or India, but they're not going to curb any emissions. The more 1st world countries increase environmental regulations, the more jobs are lost to China/India, period.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »
Someone, I think Bachman, called the EPA a job killer or something like that. Did anyone catch her reasoning?

Perhaps the hundreds of people losing their jobs in the coal industry due to new EPA regulations. More taxes and regulations always kill jobs and pass the buck to the consumer. Good thing "cap and trade" will never see the light of day.

Okay, let's ignore the jobs that the EPA could create cleaning up the rivers, installing and creating the carbon capture technology being proposed, installing and making the solar panels this country needs, etc.

More taxes and more regulations does not "always kill jobs," its an unproven mantra by conservatives and is ridiculous.

Besides, why are jobs the most fucking important thing in a country, ever? WHy isnt the water I drink important? Or the air I breath? Maybe our economy needs to shuffle around a little, but it's ridiculous to say that just because something may lead to some people not having their specific job, that this means the policy can never ever ever be enacted.

We don't need more government jobs, period. Our water and air is fine. It is much cleaner than it was in the 70s. As for making solar panels, they won't be made here but instead in China (cheaper to produce).

Remember: the government does not create jobs or wealth. It produces nothing. It can only take away from the productive sector.

Wrong. There's a new solar panel plant starting up in Ontario, Ohio in an old GM plant. I'm just waiting for them to start taking applications. Over one thousand jobs and we need them in this area in a bad way.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TL

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »
He is closer to 'being one of us' than any President has been in recent history.    

Here's the thing. I wouldn't want someone leading my country who's 'just like one of us'. I want a head of state to be as exceptional as possible. We're not talking about the president of a student union here, we're talking about the president of one of the most powerful countries on Earth.

Herman Cain has failed to impress me. Things like 'muslims need to take a loyalty test' and 'no bill should be longer than three pages' don't exactly inspire confidence.

Honestly, I'd say Romney won the debate by being less terrible than the other candidates, though that's not saying much.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
I agree with GMD's assessment.  Debates are never more than commercials and pep rallies.  I'd actually be curious to know how long it's been since an actual debate took place.  Regardless, they're little more than an opportunity to see which candidates are better at expressing bullshit.  No facts.  No opinions.  Just a small amount of ad-libbing around scripted talking points.  If somebody asks a question you can't answer, how deftly can you shift the topic towards one of the hot-button and over-politicized issues you've been preparing for.  

:hefdaddy

wow, excellent post.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »
...they all sounded alike. Which I think will be one of GOP's biggest problems. They got either loonies, or colorless people running for president at this point.

Hate to say it, but I completely agree.  I hate that I have to vote for these idiots.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
We could all vote for Gary Johnson!  He wasn't in the debate, but I'd like to see a bit more coverage of him.  He seems like he could be a better candidate than the rest of these goofs just from the limited amount of info I've seen (i.e. wikipedia and his article's sources). 

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »
We could all vote for Gary Johnson!  He wasn't in the debate, but I'd like to see a bit more coverage of him.  He seems like he could be a better candidate than the rest of these goofs just from the limited amount of info I've seen (i.e. wikipedia and his article's sources). 
Exactly. He's like Ron Paul but he has a personality.

Can we keep these regurgitations of mantras at a minimum in this thread? It's about GOP candidates, not whether "government can create wealth" (whatever that means).

In the end I thought Romney seemed the only even remotely reasonable candidate.

rumborak

He's a great bullshitter, turning Massachusetts' public health care system into a "state's rights" issue and all. But I'm not voting for him.   

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »
'no bill should be longer than three pages'
I think this is actually a creative and potentially useful idea (though three pages might be a bit short). I definitely think there should be a limit of some kind. Once it gets beyond a certain length (which probably isn't really all that long), you're pretty much guaranteed to have pet projects, pork, and useless fluff.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:18:48 PM by lordxizor »

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »
...they all sounded alike. Which I think will be one of GOP's biggest problems. They got either loonies, or colorless people running for president at this point.

Hate to say it, but I completely agree.  I hate that I have to vote for these idiots.

Well you could vote for Jonathan "The Impaler" Sharkey.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
What was disappointing by Romney was that first he twists MA's healthcare system into a state rights thing, and five minutes later says he wants to impose same-sex ban nationwide. Of course the other candidates are equally as hypocritical about it (apply states and federal rights when whichever suits best), but I thought Romney was especially blatant in that regard.
Really only Paul had a good answer, and a very good one at that.

rumborak

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »
The one thing I'm actually liking about the GOP candidates is that for the most part the serious ones are actually normal, reasonable people. For a while there it looked like we'd get Donald Trump and Sarah Palin as two of the top condidates along with a bunch of other over-the-top Tea Party types. The only real crazy person is Bachmann, who's definitely got a screw loose.

Though I don't think he'll get the nomination, I think Pawlenty is a decent guy. I lived in MN during nearly all of his time as governor and voted for him twice. The one thing I didn't like about him was his stance against basically any and all tax increases when the state was facing humongous budget deficits. Instead he used cuts (which were fine) and accounting tricks (not so much) to get back in the black.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2011, 01:43:54 PM »
What was disappointing by Romney was that first he twists MA's healthcare system into a state rights thing, and five minutes later says he wants to impose same-sex ban nationwide. Of course the other candidates are equally as hypocritical about it.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but why do you find it hypocritical?  I don't follow.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »
Im warming to Michelle Bachmann. I like her , unsure if she can win, but I appreciate her compassion and vision
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »
Im warming to Michelle Bachmann. I like her , unsure if she can win, but I appreciate her compassion and vision
I find her intriguing. Some of the stuff she says makes some good sense, but then she'll do something that comes across as completely nuts. Being from Minnesota, I've heard more from her than most people in the US over the last few years. She also falls into the category of politicians that you like to put Obama in... no executive experience.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
What was disappointing by Romney was that first he twists MA's healthcare system into a state rights thing, and five minutes later says he wants to impose same-sex ban nationwide. Of course the other candidates are equally as hypocritical about it.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but why do you find it hypocritical?  I don't follow.

Well, Republicans supposedly stand for state-level regulations wherever possible. He was pounding on that very notion with the MA healthcare thing. But then he wants to raise something to the federal level that already is working reasonably well on the state-level. It was pretty clear that he would throw out his principles if it suited him. Nothing new with politicians, but I found this one especially blatant.
Interestingly, Bachmann was the only one standing up saying "I wouldn't want to impose this on the states".
It's moot anyway, that amendment would never go through, and they know it, so they can go all out on it.

rumborak

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
I find her intriguing. Some of the stuff she says makes some good sense, but then she'll do something that comes across as completely nuts. Being from Minnesota, I've heard more from her than most people in the US over the last few years. She also falls into the category of politicians that you like to put Obama in... no executive experience.

good point LX.. I just find her vision of what this country needs to do to correct the last few years pretty on target, but youre right on her lack of executive experience, but after Obama she is as qualified. I think she is a good person and I like that also.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
I have to be honest, her face freaks me out.

rumborak

Offline TL

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »

good point LX.. I just find her vision of what this country needs to do to correct the last few years pretty on target, but youre right on her lack of executive experience, but after Obama she is as qualified. I think she is a good person and I like that also.

What details of her vision do you like specifically?