Author Topic: Raise the Knife Appreciation Thread  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Slain

Raise the Knife Appreciation Thread
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »
I love the song, so much. Especially the Score version... and for me, it's one of the most underrated DT songs.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Raise the Knife Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:07:57 PM »
I completely agree, one of my favorites.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
nope

Offline Knguro

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »
Another underrated DT piece of art.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline RG93

• DTF Lurker
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:03:54 AM »
This song should have been on FII. Who's the lyricist, btw? Seems like Portnoy to me.
I forgot I even had this account, so what the heck

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:52:16 AM »
I like it, but it doesn't seem very developed.  It seems like there's just something off about it.  Not sure what, but it's how I feel about it. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 01:41:51 AM »
Guess posting my adoration here would be superfluous, right?  Song includes some of Portnoy's most inventive playing.   Bass polyrthyms, catchy guitar refrain and overall tight structure, always gets a wow from me.

yes, MP penned the lyrics.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 02:05:59 AM »
I like it, but it doesn't seem very developed.  It seems like there's just something off about it.  Not sure what, but it's how I feel about it. 
I'm the same way. I think it could have been a great addition to FII, but it would have needed some work first, though I can't exactly come up with any suggestions as to what. It does sound unfinished or underdeveloped.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 02:28:43 AM »
Definitely one of my favourite DT songs. The ending they added for Score is absolutely amazing.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 02:46:38 AM »
Definitely a great song, miles ahead at least eight tracks that made it onto Falling into infinity.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 03:36:43 AM »
LOVE this song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 05:53:28 AM »
That's interesting, because I don't feel that way at all.  I can't think of anything in the song that feels underdeveloped or in need of change.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 06:23:40 AM »
I love this song. FII would have been a near masterpiece had the trimmed some fat and fit this song on there. The Score version is killer but I prefer the original (demo?).  Love that stick click count-in at the beginning.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
That's interesting, because I don't feel that way at all.  I can't think of anything in the song that feels underdeveloped or in need of change.

Hmmmmm, okay, I will listen to it again. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »
I really like this song. The first verse is gold Jerry! Probably my second or third favorite unreleased(lol) song.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »
it pisses me off how this song didn't make it onto FII

raise the knife <3
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 04:58:47 PM »
The Score version is flawless. One of their best for sure.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »
Great song.

Maybe a top 50 song, I can't really seem to think of a coherent top 50 lol.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 07:37:31 PM »
I'm the same way. I think it could have been a great addition to FII, but it would have needed some work first, though I can't exactly come up with any suggestions as to what. It does sound unfinished or underdeveloped.

I agree -- the middle instrumental section strays too far away and the entrance back to the chorus doesn't work at all. The song has some strong ideas, and basically is a good song, but definitely needs some work for it to be great by DT standards.

Offline Slain

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »

I agree -- the middle instrumental section strays too far away and the entrance back to the chorus doesn't work at all. The song has some strong ideas, and basically is a good song, but definitely needs some work for it to be great by DT standards.

Each to his own I suppose. I think it's great all around, but I guess that's subjective...
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 08:49:14 PM »
This song would have been one of the best on Falling Into Infinity and it's a shame that it didn't replace what I think is DT's weakest opener because I think Raise the Knife has a really cool start and would have been an awesome way to kick off an album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 12:21:43 AM »
This song is awesome!  :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 08:11:20 AM »
Good thread dude.  Great song.  I wish it had made the cut on FII.  Would've been a plus on an already great album.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:43 AM »
Great song, especially on Score, as has been said already.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 09:09:51 AM »
I think they should have put Raise the Knife on Infinity instead of Trial of Tears. 

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 09:27:21 AM »
I think they should have put Raise the Knife on Infinity instead of Trial of Tears. 

No way, they should have both been on there. Replace YNM and BMS with Raise the Knife.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »
Explain yourself.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 09:34:20 PM »
Explain yourself.

Remember how I said that Raise the Knife seems like it's not developed enough?  I think Trial of Tears has a very developed first half, then turns into an awful song starting at the guitar solo.  I'd rather hear a really good song that's not as developed as it could be rather than a good PART of a song with a terrible second half.  You might like the second half of Trial of Tears, though.  I personally do not. 

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »
I can't believe this song wasn't on FII. A fantastic song and the best b-side DT has.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 09:59:36 PM »
Definite top 20!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:23 AM »
Explain yourself.

Remember how I said that Raise the Knife seems like it's not developed enough?  I think Trial of Tears has a very developed first half, then turns into an awful song starting at the guitar solo.  I'd rather hear a really good song that's not as developed as it could be rather than a good PART of a song with a terrible second half.  You might like the second half of Trial of Tears, though.  I personally do not. 
OK

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 11:47:44 PM »
Just in case my post came across confrontational, hef, I didn't mean for it to.  I re-read it and it kind of seemed that way. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 04:52:57 AM »
Just in case my post came across confrontational, hef, I didn't mean for it to.  I re-read it and it kind of seemed that way. 
No, I didn't take it that way at all.  I just didn't realize you felt that way about Trial of Tears.  Once I did, that made more sense.  So I just said OK.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
i prefer praise the wife or phrase the life
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:57:49 PM by tgstk2 »
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »
No, I didn't take it that way at all.  I just didn't realize you felt that way about Trial of Tears.  Once I did, that made more sense.  So I just said OK.

Okay, cool.