Author Topic: Is Prog/Power Metal being held back from being popular, due to the vocals?  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Vajra

The most common type of vocals you hear from the bands of the genre...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztzMII6T-U4&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZDc0js-m2Q

While the vocals are fantastic from a technical viewpoint (and I personally like them), they don't have that appealing sound like that of Bruce Dickenson, Russel Allen, Mikael Åkerfeldt, James Labrie, Hansi Kürsch, Matt Barlow, Dio, Tim Ripper Owens, etc. These bands have amazing riffs and melodies, but unless you're a true fan of the genre, it's hard for the average listener to get into the music because the vocals, while great, aren't quite "there" I mean, let's face it, if you took every Power/Prog Metal band and had Dickenson or Russel singing the songs, people would be buying these songs like no tomorrow. There's a reason such a great deal of people don't listen to Dream Theater's "When Dream and Day Unite" album, and it's because the singer, Dominici, had that typical Prog/Power type sound.

Thankfully, I'm a fan of these common vocals, so it won't be holding me back from enjoying the music, it's just a bummer that so many other people will be turned off from these bands because the vocals don't hit them hard.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
In a word? I think so. Also when and why did you abandon "diemtay?"
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Vajra

Someone I know, knows that I post under that name, so I changed it to avoid stalking lol.

Also, I'm suprised someone remembers me within just a week or two of being here haha. Is that a good thing, or bad?

• DT.net Member
Someone I know, knows that I post under that name, so I changed it to avoid stalking lol.

Also, I'm suprised someone remembers me within just a week or two of being here haha. Is that a good thing, or bad?

Your avatar is pretty distinct and very clearly visible. Good thing I s'pose regarding the fact that I remembered you. Also I just started posting here again after a full year away so anyone who could be classified as a "n00b" but posts on a daily basis is definitely gonna stand out to me.

That said, accept my belated "welcome", grab yourself a Schlitz and that April '93 copy of Swank I left over on the coffee table for ya and make yourself at home.

Back on topic, I can say without any hesitation that the vocals thing is HUGE. Back in '99 I got into DT and a shit load of power/prog/tech metal bands and I always tried to get my friends into them. They'd usually be no worse than indifferent and sometimes even impressed by the musicianship UNTIL the vocals entered. I can't blame 'em either.

To this day there isn't one power metal band I listen to where I come close to enjoying the vocals. That whole soaring, wailing, five-octave thing is very impressive to me but definitely not my style. I think a part of the problem is that metal is generally a masculine thing and IMO an overwhelming majority of the singers in these genres sound overtly effeminate.

I'm all for virtuosic range in singing but I find so many of these guys have fantastic voices but the strength underneath it just isn't there and unless you have a "man's man" voice like Russell Allen from Symphony X for instance it ends up not sounding all that different from if a woman was singing it in the first place.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
To me, those bands just sound like the typical, generic, watered-down prog metal that blends in with everything else within the genre.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Is Prog/Power Metal being held back from being popular, due to the vocals?

Sure, along with many other reasons, certainly. 

To me, those bands just sound like the typical, generic, watered-down prog metal that blends in with everything else within the genre.

Oh you, giant indie.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone

BF!! When did you return to DTF?!!?!?!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member

BF!! When did you return to DTF?!!?!?!
while you were banned.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
oh my god what have i done
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

• DT.net Member
butt fuck
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »
oh my god what have i done

To be banned or to beset the forum with something as catastrophic as my return?

:D

Also thanks for the warm welcome back as I always love other men calling me "BF."

Offline senecadawg2

I love Dominici's voice... and Labrie's voice isn't exactly much more appealing to the average listener. Although I love it many people complain about it being 'whiny'. Maybe we should have Lil' Wayne singing for DT
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lowdz

Give me any of those singers you 'tubed over Akerfeldt. (yes even Christopher Lee). I can't abide the growling. Sorry. I know there's more to his voice than that but I can't get past it.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
It's metal. There's only so popular it's going to get, and having 10 minutes long songs, ridiculous synths and absurd vocals isn't helping anything.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Kosmo

Oh lord, my hatred towards Rhapsody of Fire can't be measured.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
It's metal. There's only so popular it's going to get, and having 10 minutes long songs, ridiculous synths and absurd vocals isn't helping anything.

This.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Possibly, but then Muse and Coheed are massive and big respectively, both of whom have high-pitched singers.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Possibly, but then Muse and Coheed are massive and big respectively, both of whom have high-pitched singers.

This. The Mars Volta too, and Rush. Before I saw a picture of Rush I was convinced they had a female singer.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

I don't think many people find high pitches particularly off-putting.  The two examples you gave are employing a very dramatic, operatic style of singing which simply does not go over well will most people.  I can include myself in this group, because I find both of these examples pretty unbearable.  So it's not an issue with the high pitches, if you ask me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Most of this type of music just comes off as 'cheesy' to me, and judging by some other posts, I'm not alone.

Offline jsem

The second video there.. rhapsody.  So much cheese it's unbelievable.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

Hah, I thought that baritone in the second video bore a striking resemblance to the actor for Saruman in Lord of the Rings.  Christopher Lee, you crazy bastard :lol

Offline Lowdz

But they do have a fantastic guitarist. I'd love to hear him do an instrumental cd.

• DT.net Member

But they do have a fantastic guitarist. I'd love to hear him do an instrumental cd.

Luca Turilli? That dude sweeps like an army of brand new brooms. Some may not like sweep-dominant shredders but his solos always seem to perfectly accentuate their songs.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Oh my yes.

I likely won't be able to poop for at least a week.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I think this is the problem more than the vocals. The vocalists in the OP are all unique and they sing for bands that are unique.

Most genres have leading bands, but then they quickly get backfilled by "stereotypical" bands. There's no problem with Power Metal or its vocalists, per se, but with so many bands playing a similer style, it does get tough to try and tell them apart.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

Prog/Power metal is being held back from being popular due to its inaccessibility. Really good progressive metal (DREAM THEATER) is often complex and takes a few listens to get into. Songs are also usually longer and not radio-friendly (once again see DREAM THEATER). I would say that Death Metal is being held back from being popular, due to the vocals... but there is not really anything to do about that because without the death metal vocals, it is... not even death metal anymore.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
The biggest prog metal band I can think of is Tool. And they have absurd vocals, long songs, just not the absurd synths.

Or are they not prog metal?
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
The biggest prog metal band I can think of is Tool. And they have absurd vocals, long songs, just not the absurd synths.

Or are they not prog metal?

I wouldn't say that they are Prog Metal.
They are Prog, and they are Metal (though I consider them more Rock then Metal), but yeah, Tool are probably one of the bigger bands from the Progressive-scene.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Well, power metal basically sucks for the most part, so there is that (there are exceptions, but rarely).

Progressive is on a good wave though. But it can be very wide-ranging. Look at Opeth, Tool, DT, and TMZ. All very different but containing the element of progressiveness. And people eat those bands up these days

Kosmo

Well, power metal basically sucks for the most part, so there is that (there are exceptions, but rarely).
Woah, woah WOAH! Hold your horses José.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Kosmo

Two can dance this tango, broseph.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Then I'm honored to be your lady.

But men, power metal is just very generic, samey, and doesn't do anything. What is there to like besides maybe the energy you sense (which, once you've heard one song, you've heard them all)?

Kosmo

Well I guess I'm a sucker for ye olde guitar wankage and double bass.

What really bothers me in most power metal bands is the lyrics. I don't mind if the lyrics are somewhat historical/fantasy based but when the word dragon is used I'm out. (with the exception of that one Kamelot song).

ninja edit

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
DRAGONS ARE COOL, MAN! THEY BREATHE TEH FIRE AND DESTROY CASTLES AND EAT MATTHEW MACO... MACOHO.... MACONOHEA....THAT SOUTHERN GUY WITH THE ABS!!!