Author Topic: You can only listen to ONE song from DT from now on.. which will it be? And Why?  (Read 7381 times)

Offline Vajra

6DOIT doesn't count as one song here, since I think any sane person would pick a 45 minute song lol.

Anyway, for me, it's either A Change of Seasons or Octavarium (not much of an original choice, but oh well). I would need a song that's very emotional, thought provoking, and filled with variation, which these two songs have. Personally, I find that I have a real connection with these two songs on an emotional level, and if I had to pick one song, I'd need one I could relate to.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:20:07 PM by diemtay »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
6DOIT doesn't count as one song here, since I think any sane person would pick a 45 minute song lol.

Anyway, for me, it's either A Change of Seasons or Octavarium (not much of an original choice, but oh well). I would need a song that's very emotional, thought provoking, and filled with variation, which these two songs have. Personally, I find that I have a real connection with these two songs on an emotional level, and if I had to pick one song, I'd need one I could relate to.

ACOS...no doubt.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
ACoS, my favorite DT song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elaitch

Octavarium, hands down. Or possibly In the Presence of Enemies.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
You Not Me  :metal

Because nobody else will listen to it, so I will feel unique
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:28:51 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline Vajra

Edited the OP title...

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
ACOS and 8v will comprise about 90% of the replies in this thread.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
This question is mean.

ACoS.  It's my favorite DT song overall.  Plus it has the criteria of being long and containing a variety of styles within it, so it would stand as a good sample of DT's music when I couldn't listen to anything else. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
This question is mean.

ACoS.  It's my favorite DT song overall.  Plus it has the criteria of being long and containing a variety of styles within it, so it would stand as a good sample of DT's music when I couldn't listen to anything else. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I must say, did not expect Jay's answer to be ACoS. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Lotion

Probably Metropolis live @ Marquee..! Perfect vocals

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Probably Octavarium.  It has everything that makes DT great in the one song.  ACOS would be second choice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.

Offline m0hawk

Not only is Octavarium the band's best song, but seeing as it borrows from and is somewhat influenced by other bands, it's like hearing multiple songs in one 24 minute masterpiece. E.g. Pink Floyd, Kansas, Queen.

Also, it has OWENS ****ING WILSON!

Offline Dcrupi

Metropolis.  The best them.

Offline Vajra

Probably Metropolis live @ Marquee..! Perfect vocals
James had one of the best voices I've ever heard back in those days. It seems like towards the FII years and onward, his voice sounds much higher and doesn't have that agressive edge and deepness it had like at the Marquee.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Probably Scarred. Best JLB vocal performance, outstanding intro and outro, amazing solos. This song is the best them.

EDIT : Forgot to mention : best DT lyrics. This song has it all.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:54:16 PM by Nic35 »
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
About to Crash. The song that got me into DT, and my first ever DT song.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline ronnibran

The Glass Prison.  As much as I hate to not choose Octavarium, which is great, just because it's so long (that's what she said), this song is near perfect and hearing it for the first time was a pivotal moment in my music listening life.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
The Ministry of Lost Souls...I love the way it just kicks in then gets soft, and JLBs vocals are haunting and the Instrumental section is great, among my top 3.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Vajra

The Ministry of Lost Souls...I love the way it just kicks in then gets soft, and JLBs vocals are haunting and the Instrumental section is great, among my top 3.
Damn, good choice. It's such an underated song that doesn't get the respect that it deserves.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Disappear.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
Learning To Live

Offline senecadawg2

A Change of Seasons. IMO the best song ever. I'd still be missing out on a lot though  :'(
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
A Change of Seasons, easily.  Dream Theater's perfect balance of epic length and superb quality, and one of very few 20+ minute songs I often feel the desire to repeat immediately after a full run-through.  There are other DT songs I consider to be comparable masterpieces; Learning to Live, Take The Time, and Trial of Tears, but I think I would tire of listening to those songs in their entirety long before I grow bored with ACOS

Offline champbassist

Vacant ;D

Offline ubit

Hmmmm.... I will be different and say The Count of Tuscany.

It would be a tough choice.  I love the mention of TMoLS.  I would certainly consider that one strongly.
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline voncorn

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:03:25 AM by voncorn »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
ACOS or Learning To Live.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
ACOS, no question. All necessary has been said about it in this thread.