Author Topic: "See something, say something": Opinions on it?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"See something, say something": Opinions on it?
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »
Both Boston's MBTA as well as NYC's train services have the "see something, say something" announcements going, sometimes even with videos explaining how to spot potential perpetrators.
What's your opinion on this? I personally just can't see this really resulting in a lot of correctly-identified individuals, but certainly a lot of wrongly accused ones, and sic-ing the public against each other. And while I can maybe see why NYC inhabitants are more willing to do this, Boston can't really say that (the biggest terrorist related event was this)

Opinions?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: "See something, say something": Opinions on it?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
Tough call.  As with a lot of things, I can see that it could potentially be a great thing in a society where being apathetic and too into your own little world is not a good thing, and looking out for others/the public good is a good thing.  However, I also see the potential problems you mention, which could have potentially disastrous results.

:dunno:  I have mixed feelings.  Not sure what the right answer is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:15 AM »
Leaving aside the notion that I really hate snitches, my opinion of LEA has really tanked over the last few years and I wouldn't wish involvement with them on anybody, outside of the very worst criminals.  While this sounds paranoid, an honest mistake which involves LEA can have horrific consequences.  Even in the highly probable event that they're completely exonerated of being a terrorist, there's still a helluva lot of room for being hassled or mistreated.  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:12:08 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
That bomb scare in Boston was so hilarious when news of it broke out.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

As for the actual point of the OP, I have mixed feelings as well, but as a general rule I don't think training people to be paranoid is a good thing.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
Reminds me vaguely of 1984, to be honest. Seems close to training children to be spies.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
Nothing teaches people to be more paranoid than the internet.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »
I'm down with a good 'Neighborhood Watch' program....keeping and eye out for your neighbor and all but like as has been mentioned, the down side to this outweighs the up side. Like ElBarto alluded to...it takes one paranoid old lady to report you and your life is Effed' up for quite some time.

The easy thing to do would be to just put a chip in everyones hand or arm, maybe forehead, and be able to track and monitor us like that.  :lol

That was  joke BTW...just in case it was lost in internet translation.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 10:40:53 AM »
I'm cautiously in support of it.  Basically, the only way to stop a terrorist attack is if the terrorists are massively stupid, or if average joe is alert.  Security personnel can't be everywhere, or anywhere really.  It seems like these programs stem from an acknowledgment of this.  The wording isn't "BE VIGILANT" or "DOES SOMEBODY LOOK SUSPICIOUS?"  It's a little more laid-back.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »
When I was in Boston it didn't really bother me that much. I always got the impression that city was fully of the laziest people anyways so if someone did see something they'd have a "eh, someone else'll do it" attitude. Maybe one or two times of stopping T service on the way to or from work might have me a little annoyed but I didn't see that when I was there.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
I hate the campaign. Highway 84 was closed for like 2 hours a few weeks ago because someone saw a cooler (the kind you take to the beach) laying on the side of the road.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »
I feel like people in CT just love closing 84 for whatever reason.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
No different from reporting suspicious characters in airports, I figure, just you don't have to go through any security checkpoints beforehand.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: