Author Topic: Connecticut Passes Bill Giving College Aid To Illegal Immigrants  (Read 22916 times)

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
Re: Connecticut Passes Bill Giving College Aid To Illegal Immigrants
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2011, 08:09:57 AM »
i have to be honest, what bothers me the most is that while there is legislation being enacted giving illegals tuition benefits, about 90% of us students that are living here legally (such as myself) still have difficulties paying for college. i don't get it.

...because, most likely, they haven't been offered the opportunity to make anything else of themselves. Just think of the possibilities a college education would offer!

why can't they make something of themselves in their own country?

edit + second part
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:16:57 AM by ricky »
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
i have to be honest, what bothers me the most is that while there is legislation being enacted giving illegals tuition benefits, about 90% of us students that are living here legally (such as myself) still have difficulties paying for college. i don't get it.

...because, most likely, they haven't been offered the opportunity to make anything else of themselves. Just think of the possibilities a college education would offer!

why can't they make something of themselves in their own country?

edit + second part
Right on, Ricky!

Being an illegal immigrant basically says, don't become a citizen the right way, its to much work. Just enter the country illegally and you can skip all that nonsense and still get rewarded for it! :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »
I dunno ricky, but I think it has something to do with limited opportunities in second and third world countries whose economy/job market are even worse than ours.

Maybe you can try living in a second/third world country and tell me how things go for you :tup

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2011, 08:32:10 AM »
I dunno ricky, but I think it has something to do with limited opportunities in second and third world countries whose economy/job market are even worse than ours.

Maybe you can try living in a second/third world country and tell me how things go for you :tup

i realize that, but that doesn't mean i have the responsibility to pay for them, especially when i have no money.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2011, 08:32:37 AM »
PLM, I agree that some countries don't have the opportunities that we do here but I'd like them to get a green card.  But in all honesty it's not the end of the world but I would hope people would take the legal road.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2011, 08:33:24 AM »
I dunno ricky, but I think it has something to do with limited opportunities in second and third world countries whose economy/job market are even worse than ours. living in a fucking war zone because of silly and ill-conceived US policy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PraXis

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
They will self deport if you strictly enforce E-Verify.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »
PLM, I agree that some countries don't have the opportunities that we do here but I'd like them to get a green card.  But in all honesty it's not the end of the world but I would hope people would take the legal road.

As do I. Obviously I'd prefer if they were here legally too. But I still don't have a problem with it.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »
Being an illegal immigrant basically says, don't become a citizen the right way, its to much work. Just enter the country illegally and you can skip all that nonsense and still get rewarded for it! :tup

Or an unfortunate lack of business/family connections.  You know, immigrant visa numbers are limited.  Quite obviously it's not just immigrants being too lazy to go through the legal immigration process, because it's not a very kind one.  It's often simply a matter of having the right connections, which many don't have. 

But this is all besides the point, because you're still using the word "reward."   Connecticut is not rewarding illegal immigrants as much as it is giving them the opportunity to get an education and become contributory citizens.  It's not like you're seeing them get exclusive aid for being illegal. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »
America was founded on illegal immigration, just ask the Native Americans!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
America was founded on illegal immigration, just ask the Native Americans!
tr00f
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »
Even if the parents are here illegally, aren't their kids that are born here, legal, because they are born here?

Sorry I couldn't word that any better...

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2011, 08:15:22 PM »
Even if the parents are here illegally, aren't their kids that are born here, legal, because they are born here?

Sorry I couldn't word that any better...

Yes. So they aren't even illegal. But I think the article is talking about children that have been brought here after they were born.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2011, 08:15:58 PM »

Wow, I sense a lot of ignorance in this statement. And I'm sure it's not your fault. But I know a bunch of illegal families and they're not lazy. Do you want to know why most of them don't strive for citizenship actively? Because the way our system stands, it's almost impossible anymore. You need a green card, or work visa, or student visa. You can't get a work visa unless you can find work and you can't get a student visa unless you can afford school. Green cards are just as hard to get. https://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

It's easier to work here under the table than it is to go through a bunch of bureaucratic bullcrap. But at least most of them work. And they use the money, for the most part, on items here in the US, which helps our economy, if only slightly.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
Good point, as many poster's before have stated, they buy into the US Economy, as well as pay taxes on their income (unless that's off the books) and they pay rent which includes property tax.

Sure, a lot send money home, but hey, wouldn't you do the same?

If you have a family to feed, you're not going to sit on your ass and be sorry for yourself and say "oh, it's too hard to get a job in America legally, so I'll just let my family starve." I'm sure most people do what it takes, and if the law says otherwise, then so be it.

We're all humans first and Americans second.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2011, 09:05:46 PM »

I love you

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
space cadet, pull out.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »
Why do you hate America?

Wow, I sense a lot of ignorance in this statement. And I'm sure it's not your fault. But I know a bunch of illegal families and they're not lazy. Do you want to know why most of them don't strive for citizenship actively? Because the way our system stands, it's almost impossible anymore. You need a green card, or work visa, or student visa. You can't get a work visa unless you can find work and you can't get a student visa unless you can afford school. Green cards are just as hard to get. https://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

It's easier to work here under the table than it is to go through a bunch of bureaucratic bullcrap. But at least most of them work. And they use the money, for the most part, on items here in the US, which helps our economy, if only slightly.
On top of that, I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that living here illegally isn't exactly a cakewalk.  I'm not saying that it's right, but you make it sound like they're just taking the lazy shortcut.  Trying to work and raise a kid who might want to go to college while constantly dodging The Man is probably a pretty stressful way to live.  Personally, I'd rather try to go the bureaucratic route and not have to worry all the time, but it would appear that's even a worse choice.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2011, 03:48:00 AM »

Hey, not to be ignorant, but perhaps they can just stay where they are at rather then break the law and enter the country illegally. There's a thought. :tup
You can all sympathize with these people all you want. You can bring up the point they live in oppressed country's with little hope or opportunity. It doesn't matter because at the end of the day, they are criminals and that's the fact, Jack.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:57:56 AM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2011, 04:41:40 AM »
If there are provisos in the bill to ensure that by certain points in time they must have made certain amounts of progress towards attaining citizenship in order to maintain their in-state tuition rate, then I'd be OK with it. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2011, 04:56:18 AM »
If there are provisos in the bill to ensure that by certain points in time they must have made certain amounts of progress towards attaining citizenship in order to maintain their in-state tuition rate, then I'd be OK with it.  

I'd imagine the root of the problem lies more in the fact that citizenship is already so hard to obtain its pretty much one of the most unAmerican things about America.

We really should be more hospitable to our Southern neighbors than we are. If someone's lived here most of their life, successfully applied to college and asking for government aid, why not just assume their citizenship?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2011, 05:09:00 AM »

I'd imagine the root of the problem lies more in the fact that citizenship is already so hard to obtain its pretty much one of the most unAmerican things about America.

We really should be more hospitable to our Southern neighbors than we are. If someone's lived here most of their life, successfully applied to college and asking for government aid, why not just assume their citizenship?
Why should it be that easy?  Why can't they just apply to be citizens?  I don't see what is un-American about immigrants attaining citizenship.  It happens every day.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2011, 05:26:29 AM »
Why should it be that easy?  Why can't they just apply to be citizens?  I don't see what is un-American about immigrants attaining citizenship.  It happens every day.

Because you don't just apply to be a citizen and become a citizen.  For many, you're looking at years and years of trying to get through the immigration system, and it only might work out for you in the end based on your connections inside the U.S.  The immigration system is fucked, and the least that we can do is aid those who are already over here to get their opportunity to do well just like anyone else. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2011, 05:30:58 AM »

Because you don't just apply to be a citizen and become a citizen.  For many, you're looking at years and years of trying to get through the immigration system, and it only might work out for you in the end based on your connections inside the U.S.  The immigration system is fucked, and the least that we can do is aid those who are already over here to get their opportunity to do well just like anyone else. 
I know that it's not easy.  I know it should be improved.  But I don't see why we should reward people who are, by definition, breaking the law by just waving a wand and saying "You're a citizen" without making them do anything.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2011, 05:42:44 AM »
Waving a citizen wand is a separate issue, but I think that four years spent in high school, the conditions for receiving the tuition, is certainly time enough for an immigrant, illegal or not, to deserve aid with education, if not other things.  Also, supporting immigrants with a good work ethic isn't sending any sort of bad message whatever.  It's not like a conditional benefit like this is going to be a major driving factor for illegal immigrants to come over. 

You can all sympathize with these people all you want. You can bring up the point they live in oppressed country's with little hope or opportunity. It doesn't matter because at the end of the day, they are criminals and that's the fact, Jack.

That's an absurdly black-and-white way to see it.  So the people who ended up with the short straw should just stay put and be happy about it, because otherwise they'd be intruding with their silly goals of steady support for their children and a shot at education.  Ok.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2011, 05:44:37 AM »
perhaps they can just stay where they are

Hey man, no need to get so upset over this. They're just humans like you and me, looking for the best possible way to provide for their families. Wouldn't you do the same?

Besides, what does a little piece of paper that says "I'm an American!" have that's so special that it gets people so up in arms? From my perspective, the person who travels to this country from elsewhere and breaks their back doing hard work to support their families is more of an American than the people that sit on the other side of the fence and keep them away because they're brown. (NOTE: Not calling tick that at all, simply using two [semi] extremes to make a point. Again, NOT implying tick is a racist or anything.)
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2011, 05:50:07 AM »

I know that it's not easy.  I know it should be improved.  But I don't see why we should reward people who are, by definition, breaking the law by just waving a wand and saying "You're a citizen" without making them do anything.

I don't think anyone here was advocating simply granting citizenship.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2011, 05:51:12 AM »
Me personally, I'm not upset but I'd wish there would be a way to have them become legalized to accept the aid.  That would be a great way to promote taking the test.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2011, 05:57:38 AM »
Me personally, I'm not upset but I'd wish there would be a way to have them become legalized to accept the aid.  That would be a great way to promote taking the test.

It would be a great way in theory, but not with the current difficulties for legally immigrating nowadays.  As I mentioned before, it can take years to finally get approved and given a Visa number, and for some it never happens.  It's mostly luck and connections, certainly not just a test. 

And 4 years of high school isn't exactly a walk-in.  I'd say it's highly likely that anyone working towards a college education has plans to become a legal citizen somewhere down the line, but if it simply doesn't happen in time for them it'd be a shame for them to miss out on a good education just because of that.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2011, 06:04:17 AM »
And 4 years of high school isn't exactly a walk-in.  I'd say it's highly likely that anyone working towards a college education has plans to become a legal citizen somewhere down the line, but if it simply doesn't happen in time for them it'd be a shame for them to miss out on a good education just because of that.

This. While I'd favor the legal way when possible, it just makes more sense and benefits every side more when we do it this way.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2011, 06:19:50 AM »

you don't have to be a citizen to live here legally.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2011, 08:48:15 AM »
Why should it be that easy?  Why can't they just apply to be citizens?  I don't see what is un-American about immigrants attaining citizenship.  It happens every day.

Because you don't just apply to be a citizen and become a citizen.  For many, you're looking at years and years of trying to get through the immigration system, and it only might work out for you in the end based on your connections inside the U.S.  The immigration system is fucked, and the least that we can do is aid those who are already over here to get their opportunity to do well just like anyone else.  
I know that it's not easy.  I know it should be improved.  But I don't see why we should reward people who are, by definition, breaking the law by just waving a wand and saying "You're a citizen" without making them do anything.

I don't think anyone here was advocating simply granting citizenship.

Maybe I'm being a bit idealistic and/or ridiculous, but I honestly don't see why not.

But, yeah, reform is what I was talking about. And reform that makes it easier, specifically.

And, to make another point, I don't really get this idea that illegal immigrants are people who just crossed the boarder last month and now are expecting government aid to attend colleges. I think they're most likely people who've been here since childhood or their teens, and haven't actively broken the law. But I could be completely wrong about that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:59:35 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
Yeah it's hard, yeah it takes a long time to become a citizen.  Better get started on it, then.

I don't have a problem with people who are at least trying to do the right thing.  It's the ones who've been skating for a while, long enough to raise kids to college age, and still haven't even started the process.  I have no numbers and honestly don't give enough of a shit to look it up, but I wonder how many illegals are even in the process of applying, and how many just bought some IDs from Juan two blocks over and haven't done jack since then to improve their position.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2011, 09:35:26 AM »
I was under the impression we were talking about college students, not their parents.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
The discussion has encompassed many subtopics.  People are saying that the children of illegals shouldn't be punished because they're innocents.  This is true, but it's also true that no one is punishing them.  And it's also true that if they weren't born here, then they too are illegals.

So it still goes back to their parents.  Their parents came here for reasons known only to them, but if the idea was to give their children a better future or any of that wonderful idealistic crap, then how hard were they trying to give them a better future if they never did anything to legitimize them?