Author Topic: Connecticut Passes Bill Giving College Aid To Illegal Immigrants  (Read 22917 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: Connecticut Passes Bill Giving College Aid To Illegal Immigrants
« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2011, 09:23:51 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and give the benefit of doubt that Tick was referring to immigrants as silverware and not slaves

Well if that's the case (not sure if it is till Tick comes in and clarifies something :lol) here's my response:

...are you actually comparing people to fucking silverware?   :facepalm:
Do I really need to clarify what I meant there?

Please?  I'm sure I'm just misinterpreting you but I don't think I can decipher what you're trying to get at.

There's no way Tick looks that badass.
I'm bad ass enough.

lol
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2011, 09:24:40 PM »
Why is it ok for all you youngsters to fuck with me calling me old,(and man if that isn't old) but god forbid if I mention that I have lived longer and seen a lot more then you have and I'm a dick? Its just a fact.
Its just the way it is kids. The longer you live the more you will experience. Do you think that's untrue or something?
If doesn't make me playing any age card.
You guys do it out of disrespect and its funny?

I think they're saying its annoying when you use it as your sole retort or defense of a particular point, which is what you were doing in response to PLM when he was asking about statistics.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2011, 09:25:01 PM »
that. 

It just seems very unnecessary and not very helpful for good argument if you go after an irrelevant aspect of the person you're arguing with.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #178 on: June 12, 2011, 09:27:53 PM »
No offense, but your a kid to me. I was a tradesmen for nearly 20 years and I saw first hand what happens. I'm not blind. I don't need statistics to prove to me what I already know.

Tick, you have absolutely no right to complain about people harping on your age if you're going to harp on MINE.

That said, EVERYONE should just stick to the OP and leave everyone elses personal info OUT of the discussion. If you can't do that you will be banned. Understood?

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #179 on: June 12, 2011, 09:35:33 PM »
Time to move on back to the topic

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
Ok, my appologies for bringing age into the equation. I could have just said, I know what I've experienced in my lifetime.
As far as the topic goes, I think I know by now where everyone stands so I'm ready to move on to others things.
Carry on.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2011, 11:20:05 PM »
If we didn't already have data for it, would you automatically assume that illegal immigrants are taking jobs?

I would, and I think it's actually pretty stupid to even suggest that you need statistics.  Right now, the job situation sucks.  There's no question that a lot of guys are taking jobs, any jobs they can find, to make ends meet, pay for their homes, and feed their families.  This may not have been true five or 10 years ago, or at least not as common as it is now, but it is definitely true right now.  People's houses are being foreclosed upon because they can't make their payments, because they've been out of work so long now that their unemployment benefits have run out.  Any guy who would rather see his family homeless than "lower" himself to working any job he can is an idiot and deserves to lose everything IMO, but that's a tiny minority of unemployed, qualified breadwinners.

If there are any people out there working who are not working legally, they are working a job that a legal U.S. resident could be working.  You do not need statistics to know that this is true.  Are there legal U.S. residents unemployed?  Yes.  Are there illegal residents working?  Yes.

Someone said that the employers are at least partly to blame.  This is true.  If they're hiring the illegals because they'll work for cheaper rates or for no benefits or whatever, you can hardly blame the employers for hiring them.  But if the illegals weren't here, the employers wouldn't have a choice.  They'd have to hire citizens, and they would, because they'd still rather do that than watch their company go under.  And that's happening a lot, too.

I'm lucky as hell to have been constantly employed for the past 22 years, but I know for a fact that if I lost my job, I would take any job that pays, period.  And if there's some illegal working while my kids are hungry, there's something fucking wrong with that picture.

Someone pointed out that one of the dividing lines on the issue -- the original issue, kids of illegals getting resident tuition rates -- seems to be family men such as tick as myself versus younger folk.  My theory is that you younger folks see those college-bound kids as innocents, not too unlike yourselves.  If your parents fucked up, it's not your fault.  Us old fogies see them as kids of our direct competition, people who should not be here in the first place.  It's not just age, but age definitely plays a part because it's a different ballgame when it's not just yoursefl that you have to worry about.  You're thinking about your wife and kids; they're part of the equation.  So the illegals' kids are also part of the equation and thus fair game.

Offline TL

« Reply #182 on: June 13, 2011, 12:30:10 AM »
tick, I'd still like you to respond to something I said on the last page, when you implied that only illegal immigrants undercut other people's costs, and that it never happens with legal citizens.

Quote from: TL
Yes it does. It happens all the time in capitalism. There's even a term for it; predatory pricing.
It's extremely common for people to try to be more competitive by offering lower prices than the competition. Many legal citizens do so.

Offline TL

« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2011, 12:33:57 AM »
Quote from: Orbert
people who should not be here in the first place.
If you live in North America, you're the descendent of immigrants. There was a time when my Irish ancestors were largely regarded as people who shouldn't be here. People accused them of taking jobs away from hard working English folks, because many Irish immigrants were impoverished, and willing to work for less money.

The whole 'those dern immigrants' attitude doesn't become less disgusting just because you throw the 'illegal' qualifier in there, especially when we're talking about their children, who never even made the choice to come here in the first place.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2011, 05:05:29 AM »
Quote from: Orbert
people who should not be here in the first place.
If you live in North America, you're the descendent of immigrants. There was a time when my Irish ancestors were largely regarded as people who shouldn't be here. People accused them of taking jobs away from hard working English folks, because many Irish immigrants were impoverished, and willing to work for less money.

The whole 'those dern immigrants' attitude doesn't become less disgusting just because you throw the 'illegal' qualifier in there, especially when we're talking about their children, who never even made the choice to come here in the first place.
None of that contradicts what Orbert said, though.  The Irish you speak of came here legally and became citizens. 

Some of you obviously don't care very much (or at all) about the word "illegal" while others care quite a bit.  That's the bottom line here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: June 13, 2011, 05:41:34 AM »
I'm actually very curious to learn how the mass of european immigration in the late 19th/early 20th century worked. I have no idea, but I always just assumed that people kinda just showed up here.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2011, 06:03:26 AM »
tick, I'd still like you to respond to something I said on the last page, when you implied that only illegal immigrants undercut other people's costs, and that it never happens with legal citizens.

Yes it does. It happens all the time in capitalism. There's even a term for it; predatory pricing.
It's extremely common for people to try to be more competitive by offering lower prices than the competition. Many legal citizens do so.
I can't speak for the entire country and every job in it, but being a tradesman I can tell you people who bust there asses to pay the bills and support there family's want to see there paychecks increase as the years go by, not decrease. I know of no tradesman who wants to take a lesser wage to take work away from another. They understand the slippery slope that puts them on. They want to earn the most they can. If they don't they know the repercussions of giving employers that kind of upper hand. They are more likely to use old fashion things like working weekends when another guy wont to make themselves more valuable. They are a lot of dregs in trades and the workers who are the whole package are hard to find. Reliable, good workmanship, good bedside manner with customers. These are tough for employers to find. That's why so many people experience nightmares when they hire contractors to do work on there homes.
I can't say there is no such thing as legal citizens undercutting wages, but have never seen it to be the case. Perhaps you have a real life example you could share to enlighten me instead of your hypothetical question?
I really want to be done with this topic, but I answered your question.
If my answer isn't good enough for you, I'm sorry but I don't have a better one so you will have to accept it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:20:06 AM by tick »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2011, 06:38:09 AM »
I'm actually very curious to learn how the mass of european immigration in the late 19th/early 20th century worked. I have no idea, but I always just assumed that people kinda just showed up here.

I not sure if wikipedia id accurate but it was an interesting read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:23 AM »
I've got a feeling that some of the people here are hiding behind the whole "illegal" thing and if all these immigrants were coming here legally, they'd still be complaining.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: June 13, 2011, 07:09:34 AM »
I've got a feeling that some of the people here are hiding behind the whole "illegal" thing and if all these immigrants were coming here legally, they'd still be complaining.
That's an excellent thought, and it has much merit. For me personally if "legal" produced the same problems like the ones I have complained about it would still bother me, but at that point it would be my problem and I wouldn't publicly bitch about it. My guess is if they were legal they would want and expect more just like anyone else?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #190 on: June 13, 2011, 07:18:32 AM »

I've got my eyes on you when you hit the shores. :lol

No way in hell for me.  That's what our country was founded on.  I think the illegal immigrants should take a page out of good honest immigrants that came over here for a new life, work, love ect...  Take the test if your planing on staying.  At least get a green card, it's not fair for other who have done it the right way and if they do I welcome open arms to all. 

Just like my grandparents did from Nova Scotia & Lebanon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #191 on: June 13, 2011, 07:24:43 AM »

I can't speak for the entire country and every job in it, but being a tradesman I can tell you people who bust there asses to pay the bills and support there family's want to see there paychecks increase as the years go by, not decrease. I know of no tradesman who wants to take a lesser wage to take work away from another. They understand the slippery slope that puts them on. They want to earn the most they can. If they don't they know the repercussions of giving employers that kind of upper hand. They are more likely to use old fashion things like working weekends when another guy wont to make themselves more valuable. They are a lot of dregs in trades and the workers who are the whole package are hard to find. Reliable, good workmanship, good bedside manner with customers. These are tough for employers to find. That's why so many people experience nightmares when they hire contractors to do work on there homes.
I can't say there is no such thing as legal citizens undercutting wages, but have never seen it to be the case. Perhaps you have a real life example you could share to enlighten me instead of your hypothetical question?
I really want to be done with this topic, but I answered your question.
If my answer isn't good enough for you, I'm sorry but I don't have a better one so you will have to accept it.

That doesn't really answer anything. People undercut themselves all the time for jobs. I just recently did it to get my most recent job, I took a wage cut because it's all I could find. So because a Mexican has done it, suddenly he or she is stealing jobs and should leave the country?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »
I think what Tick would say at this point is "Yes they are stealing jobs and should leave the country because they're illegal."  We know his position on it and I'm not sure how you haven't figured it out yet, dude.  :P

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #193 on: June 13, 2011, 07:43:06 AM »
Maybe it would be in the best interest of the thread if we moved the discussion to possible solutions and/or scenarios that would result in positive outcomes in this situation?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »
I believe that my Lord and Savior Jesus would have said that the poor and down on their luck should receive no benefits unless they pay money from their paychecks into a capitalist government and go through the rigorous process of citizenship. At least that's the Christian way of doing it. After all, this country was promised by God to the good, white Christian settlers and colonists who were encouraged to slay and keep at bay every brown-skinned heathen who were native to the Americas. I don't know about you, but as a Christian and an American whenever I think of illegal immigration I think of brown people from South America snaking in over the border to take away the rights that God promised to the Taxpayers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
Comments like this:

Not to throw accusations around, but honestly, some of your rhetoric in this thread comes off as a bit racist.

And this:

tick is like one of these old men in the small town I used to live in.

My mother runs a factory and had to hire immigrants (legal ones) to do the jobs there because no one else wanted them but as soon as they turned up all the old folk were claiming that the immigrants were taking their jobs away from them.

Also, nice job of playing the "I'm older than you, therefore you know nothing" card. It's been a while.

are completely inappropriate.  As PLM said, if people can't stick to the topic, they're going to have to be banned from P/R.  Hopefully, it doesn't come to that.  But avoiding the topic and either attaching someone or trying to shut them up by throwing underserved inflammatory labels like "racist" into the equation are inappropriate for this forum.  Knock that off. 

As with a lot of topics in P/R, this one is touchy for some and can easily get emotions riled up.  That's why we keep these topcis in a separate subforum.  But that doesn't mean this subforum is without rules.  The same rules that apply on the forum in general apply here.  So think before you hit that "post" button.  If something you are about to post crosses the line, you would be better served to go off and calm down before posting. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2011, 10:04:33 AM »
I believe that my Lord and Savior Jesus would have said that the poor and down on their luck should receive no benefits unless they pay money from their paychecks into a capitalist government and go through the rigorous process of citizenship. At least that's the Christian way of doing it. After all, this country was promised by God to the good, white Christian settlers and colonists who were encouraged to slay and keep at bay every brown-skinned heathen who were native to the Americas. I don't know about you, but as a Christian and an American whenever I think of illegal immigration I think of brown people from South America snaking in over the border to take away the rights that God promised to the Taxpayers.
That is really quite enough of that, thanks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »
I've been trying not to be a dick, but it seems to keep coming back to a sense of entitlement that some people have.  A job is only worth what you can get a competent person to do it for.  The people who bitch about immigrant labor taking their jobs are really bitching because they can't charge more than what the job is worth.  In Tick's case, it seems that his problem is that people would apparently prefer to pay less for a crappy job than pay more for what I'm sure is a fantastic effort by him.  You get what you pay for, but plenty of people would prefer to get less.  I don't consider that the fault of the cheap laborers at all. 

Another side of this is that a lot of the business that hire cheap migrant workers couldn't exist if they had to pay 3x as much for American workers.  Or if they did, the cost of everyday products would be unaffordable.  As I've said many times, I'm perfectly happy for Mexicans to come here and work if it means that a salad doesn't cost me $27.  As is so often the case with people here wanting everything and then some,  there's a catch 22 at work.  People want affordable food and products, but they also want the companies that provide them to pay a huge markup to hire American workers.  Pick one, because you can't have both.

I also can't help but notice that the people who tend to bitch about immigration and the jobs lost tend to be the same people who are always complaining about the selfish-ass me generation;  people who seem to think that they're owed something that they're not. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
So you are pro exploitation of workers?  I'm confused by how keeping the cost of salad down justifies illegal immigration.

As I've said many times, I'm perfectly happy for Mexicans to come here and work if it means that a salad doesn't cost me $27.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2011, 10:46:36 AM »
I've been trying not to be a dick, but it seems to keep coming back to a sense of entitlement that some people have.  A job is only worth what you can get a competent person to do it for.  The people who bitch about immigrant labor taking their jobs are really bitching because they can't charge more than what the job is worth.  In Tick's case, it seems that his problem is that people would apparently prefer to pay less for a crappy job than pay more for what I'm sure is a fantastic effort by him.  You get what you pay for, but plenty of people would prefer to get less.  I don't consider that the fault of the cheap laborers at all.  
No offense but you speak as if your an authority on all the stuff you comment on.
Let me enlighten you a bit.
People DON'T always want to pay less, they just get it. Many customers walk into a mom and pop flooring store wanting and expecting to get more for there money then they would if they chose Home Depot or Lowe's.
Here is the reality. There are many affluent areas in Connecticut when a customer is gladly willing to pay more for the service as long as they get a top job.
They walk into a fancy showroom and speak with a well dressed, well spoken salesperson who promises them the world. They are told they will get a cut above the box stores. They are thanked for choosing the local store that is going to "take good care of them".
In the end, it can all be a big facade because when it comes installation day, they get exactly what they didn't want. They paid more and still got a shitty job.
I know this because I know the way these things quite often go. As a salesman I would hope and pray my customers got one of the top installers but it was always a crap shoot. Some days I just held my breath and hoped the phone didn't ring with some complaint from a dissatisfied client.
It was out of my control. Of course wanting to make a sale I always sold my customers a bill of goods they would get a cut above.
Sometimes they did. Other times they did not.

The bottom line is, don't presume to know that all customers just want the cheapest price. That is not the case where I live, I can assure you.
Its the owners of stores who are often willing to risk there reputation by sending out less than stellar installers.
Ultimately to compete with the big guys they make wrong decisions and that's why some close there doors.

So, not to be a dick, but your not exactly spot on in your thoughts.

Offline TL

« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2011, 11:15:15 AM »
A guy I know started a carpet cleaning business a few years back. However, a problem he ran into was that there were other people with carpet cleaning businesses, with workforces made up of 100% legal citizens, who kept undercutting his rates. Rather than complaining about how they were stealing his business, he changed his business plan, marketing his business as a premium service, charging more for a much higher quality service. It worked. People were willing to pay more, knowing that they were getting more, and that the overall job would be completed to a much higher standard.

What I'm saying is that, rather than complaining about people undercutting rates (and yes, legal citizens do this all the time), keep your rates up and make it clear to people that they're getting a better service for their money. Many people are willing to pay more for higher quality.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
A guy I know started a carpet cleaning business a few years back. However, a problem he ran into was that there were other people with carpet cleaning businesses, with workforces made up of 100% legal citizens, who kept undercutting his rates. Rather than complaining about how they were stealing his business, he changed his business plan, marketing his business as a premium service, charging more for a much higher quality service. It worked. People were willing to pay more, knowing that they were getting more, and that the overall job would be completed to a much higher standard.

What I'm saying is that, rather than complaining about people undercutting rates (and yes, legal citizens do this all the time), keep your rates up and make it clear to people that they're getting a better service for their money. Many people are willing to pay more for higher quality.

As a business major it is my professional opinion that yes, this shit fucking works.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:34 AM »
So you are pro exploitation of workers?  I'm confused by how keeping the cost of salad down justifies illegal immigration.

As I've said many times, I'm perfectly happy for Mexicans to come here and work if it means that a salad doesn't cost me $27.
Who said anything about exploitation?  Nobody's forcing anybody to work, and there's still a competitive marketplace for the labor.  It would seem to me that spending 6 hours a day manning a fryer at McDonald's is a terrible job, and probably worthy of more than the minimum wage I suspect they make, but we're not calling the people who do it exploited, are we?

So if one of the installers your big box store refers out gets complaints regarding half the jobs you send him to, do you keep sending him out?  What if a different installer gets compliments every time he's sent out?  Wouldn't you send him to more jobs?  You get what you pay for is still applicable, even if there's a middle man thrown into the mix. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »
The people who bitch about immigrant labor taking their jobs are really bitching because they can't charge more than what the job is worth.

No, we're not complaining about wages being lowered by the competition for jobs; we're complaining about wages being lowered by illegal competition for jobs.

What the fuck is it that you people don't see?  No matter how many times we state our points, no matter how many different ways we state them, you're always "No, you're just saying that; what you're really mad about is something else.  I know because even though I have no experience in this, I read something on the Internet that told me, therefore you're lying."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »

Who said anything about exploitation?  Nobody's forcing anybody to work, and there's still a competitive marketplace for the labor.  It would seem to me that spending 6 hours a day manning a fryer at McDonald's is a terrible job, and probably worthy of more than the minimum wage I suspect they make, but we're not calling the people who do it exploited, are we?

So if one of the installers your big box store refers out gets complaints regarding half the jobs you send him to, do you keep sending him out?  What if a different installer gets compliments every time he's sent out?  Wouldn't you send him to more jobs?  You get what you pay for is still applicable, even if there's a middle man thrown into the mix. 
What middle man? I'm sorry but this makes little sense to me in response to what I said? You need to help me understand what your saying, and why you didn't grasp the crux of what I said?
If you paid more for a small company to give you better and you didn't receive it, you did not get what you paid for. Plain and simple.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »
The people who bitch about immigrant labor taking their jobs are really bitching because they can't charge more than what the job is worth.

No, we're not complaining about wages being lowered by the competition for jobs; we're complaining about wages being lowered by illegal competition for jobs.

What the fuck is it that you people don't see?  No matter how many times we state our points, no matter how many different ways we state them, you're always "No, you're just saying that; what you're really mad about is something else.  I know because even though I have no experience in this, I read something on the Internet that told me, therefore you're lying."
Some reality's Orbert, refuse to be seen.
When Barto says he is happy illegals are out there so he doesn't have to over pay for a salad, there is no getting through to someone with that fucked up twisted logic.
Its clear as Hef said, some here don't give two shits about the term "illegal". They feel these poor kids of people are that shouldn't be here get a raw deal and deserve opportunities regardless. Give them help and keep the price of salads low!
Your not going to penetrate that fortress of thought.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »

You assume illegals are making minimum wage.  Minimum wage does not apply to illegals considering they don't actually work at the places they work.  Unless they have somehow forged their identity as a US citizen, in which case, go to fucking jail cause that's what would happen if I did the same thing.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »
Actually,  I never used the word illegal.  I suspect legal Mexicans would be just as happy to pick my lettuce.  Hell, I'd go so far as to say that I'd favor Americans picking my lettuce if they'd do it at a competitive wage.  But then we all know that isn't going to happen.

As for legal/illegal, I can understand people being upset about the principle of the matter, but as it pertains to hiring and wages it's irrelevant.  A job is worth what you can find somebody to do it for.  If you want to pay extra for somebody of better quality, that's your call.  I don't know how it can be any simpler than that.

You assume illegals are making minimum wage.  Minimum wage does not apply to illegals considering they don't actually work at the places they work.  Unless they have somehow forged their identity as a US citizen, in which case, go to fucking jail cause that's what would happen if I did the same thing.
So working for less than minimum wage is exploitation? 
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »
Getting under paid for the job you do is the definition of exploiting workers for the gain of the business.  See sweatshops and slavery.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2011, 12:17:26 PM »

What the fuck is it that you people don't see?  No matter how many times we state our points, no matter how many different ways we state them, you're always "No, you're just saying that; what you're really mad about is something else.  I know because even though I have no experience in this, I read something on the Internet that told me, therefore you're lying."
Some reality's Orbert, refuse to be seen.
When Barto says he is happy illegals are out there so he doesn't have to over pay for a salad, there is no getting through to someone with that fucked up twisted logic.
Its clear as Hef said, some here don't give two shits about the term "illegal". They feel these poor kids of people are that shouldn't be here get a raw deal and deserve opportunities regardless. Give them help and keep the price of salads low!
Your not going to penetrate that fortress of thought.

Once again, its not a handout.  These kids would actually have to try for four years of high school and then still pay tuition, and on top of that promise to become a citizen.  And practically, they probably won't be able to afford college, so the really REALLY smart ones would have to work so hard that they'd have to get free ride scholarships to college.  That's damn hard to do. 

I'd rather give those kids opportunities than not.  Obviously we're doing a terrible job of getting illegal immigrants out, so we might as well try and encourage those who want to work hard.  Again, I don't feel that children who were essentially forced to come here by their parents shouldn't be treated so callously.  Legal or not, these are still humans we're dealing with and some courtesy should be extended to them, especially if its the kind of courtesy that gets them motivated to really make something out of themselves. 

As for the ones working in the lower-end job market, this post by El Barto is something everyone should read:
Quote from: El Barto
Another side of this is that a lot of the business that hire cheap migrant workers couldn't exist if they had to pay 3x as much for American workers.  Or if they did, the cost of everyday products would be unaffordable.  As I've said many times, I'm perfectly happy for Mexicans to come here and work if it means that a salad doesn't cost me $27.  As is so often the case with people here wanting everything and then some,  there's a catch 22 at work.  People want affordable food and products, but they also want the companies that provide them to pay a huge markup to hire American workers.  Pick one, because you can't have both.
I'd also like to add that if American businesses want to succeed with legal workers, they need to find new ways to adapt and survive.  Obviously the government's trying to get rid of illegals, but they clearly aren't doing a good enough job of it, so businesses can't rely on the government to make this problem go away.  So the businesses and legal workers in that trade need to market themselves and adapt with a new competitive angle to start making money again.  If they can't do that, they don't really deserve to survive anyways.  Or at least that's how it should be (this is where I make a jab at the auto bailouts.  Or at least in GM and Chrysler's case).  Those who complain about the illegal problem because they "took our jerbs" should remember that having a job is a privilege and not an entitlement.   

And to give Harry a bit of credit, that kind of scenario has already happened in this country.  Remember NINA?  "No Irish Need Apply?"  People were just as pissed off then at LEGAL immigrants coming to "take their jobs."  Its not a stretch to imagine that people would be complaining if all these latinos were coming in legally.