Author Topic: Connecticut Passes Bill Giving College Aid To Illegal Immigrants  (Read 22918 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Re: Connecticut Passes Bill Giving College Aid To Illegal Immigrants
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »
But what about those people who wanted the slaves to be sent back to Africa after they were freed? Those ex-Slaves weren't citizens, after all.

I don't think this is a very fair comparison, really.  I'd say the contentions are entirely different, because we didn't forcibly take the immigrants and put them here. 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »
In my personal opinion, it certainly a little credulous to dismiss everything that is illegal as being wrong. 

For an obvious reference, helping slaves escape was against the law back in the day but it certainly wasn't the wrong thing to do. 
That's a bad analogy in my opinion. Slaves were exactly that...slaves. Illegal immigrants illegally enter a country. Good or bad, they have a homeland. They are not slaves. They also are not owed any rights for breaking the law. Like it or don't, that statement is reality.
We could go back and forth about this. You can be sympathetic to them as much as you wish. That sentiment is your own, as my thoughts which by now should be pretty clear, are mine.

One thing that pissed me off in this thread is the suggestion I am racist. That is just wrong and unjustified. I have said absolutley nothing to suggest that.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2011, 10:36:37 AM »
In my personal opinion, it certainly a little credulous to dismiss everything that is illegal as being wrong. 

For an obvious reference, helping slaves escape was against the law back in the day but it certainly wasn't the wrong thing to do. 
That's a bad analogy in my opinion. Slaves were exactly that...slaves. Illegal immigrants illegally enter a country. Good or bad, they have a homeland. They are not slaves. They also are not owed any rights for breaking the law. Like it or don't, that statement is reality.

He wasn't talking about the slaves themselves. He was talking about the people who helped them.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2011, 11:01:22 AM »

I sort of meant to take it to an extreme to show why I disagreed with the whole "ILLEGAL!  END OF STORY" argument that tick made.  I wasn't trying to draw a point of comparison between immigration and slavery or anything.  I just think it's silly to brand their side of things as wrong simply because it's against the law, that's all.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »

He wasn't talking about the slaves themselves. He was talking about the people who helped them.
Ok then, should a person see there neighbors house being robbed and walk up and say...

"Hi there, need any help? Would you like me to show you where they keep the good silver wear?"

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
...are you actually comparing people to fucking silverware?   :facepalm:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2011, 11:48:39 AM »

Actually in this case I think he is comparing the illegal immigrants to the robbers and the money we're giving them to the silver wear.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »
What if they were stealing from Hitler's house?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Online Adami

« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »

I'd just like to point out that you just accidentally compared Obama to Hitler.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »
...are you actually comparing people to fucking silverware?   :facepalm:

Actually in this case I think he is comparing the illegal immigrants to the robbers and the money we're giving them to the silver wear.
I thought he was referring to the robbers as those who helped slaves escape, since that bit of CC's original post was clarified by Will and he gave an analogy in response to that clarification.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »
This whole thing is based off of a misinterpreted analogy.  

As I said, I wasn't drawing a comparison between illegal immigrants and slavery.  I was using it in a reductio ad absurdum kind of way for the issue of whether something against the law was wrong or not.  

I'm going to go ahead and give the benefit of doubt that Tick was referring to immigrants as silverware and not slaves

Online Adami

« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2011, 11:55:33 AM »
...are you actually comparing people to fucking silverware?   :facepalm:

I thought he was referring to the robbers as those who helped slaves escape, since that bit of CC's original post was clarified by Will and he gave an analogy in response to that clarification.

Maybe, but I think the person helping the robber (the you in his analogy) would be the person helping the slaves.

Or something. Tick, maybe I'm getting this wrong, am I?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »

I'd just like to point out that you just accidentally compared Obama to Hitler.
Not the point I was making, but sure why not.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and give the benefit of doubt that Tick was referring to immigrants as silverware and not slaves

Well if that's the case (not sure if it is till Tick comes in and clarifies something :lol) here's my response:

Offline TL

« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
I don't need to dignify an answer to your question because it isn't relevant to the discussion, because it...NEVER HAPPENS!!!!
Yes it does. It happens all the time in capitalism. There's even a term for it; predatory pricing.
It's extremely common for people to try to be more competitive by offering lower prices than the competition. Many legal citizens do so.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:29:55 AM by TL »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
I don't need to dignify an answer to your question because it isn't relevant to the discussion, because it...NEVER HAPPENS!!!!

I am not saying that tick applies to this, but I'd be willing to bet a fairly large portion of the really vocal camp that is so dead set against illegal immigration are probably in that camp for racist reasons, at least in part. At least where I live (Long Island) there is a ton of racism that is apparent in the immigration rhetoric.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline TL

« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »
Ok then, should a person see there neighbors house being robbed and walk up and say...

"Hi there, need any help? Would you like me to show you where they keep the good silver wear?"
But see, with robbery, there's automatically a victim. The very act itself causes someone harm.
With illegal immigration, there isn't automatically harm done. Many illegal immigrants get jobs, pay taxes, and become law abiding, productive members of society. The act of immigrating illegally doesn't automatically harm anyone.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »
this whole argument is ridiculous. if illegal immigrants aren't allowed to protect the country they are getting benefits from, something is deeply screwed up with this government.

in case you didn't know, illegal immigrants are not allowed to serve in the armed forces. legal, non-citizens are, however, which is much different than being illegal. the day they are allowed to serve is the day i will admit they deserve benefits. until then, i am 100% against it.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2011, 07:37:51 PM »

Well if that's the case (not sure if it is till Tick comes in and clarifies something :lol) here's my response:

Do I really need to clarify what I meant there?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
For me one of the biggest problem is jobs. Illegal immigrants take jobs away from people in an already jobless economy. The cliche is, "they do the jobs nobody wants" I don't buy into that. Its not as simplistic as that. Nothing ever is.
Many small business owners(building, flooring, roofing, etc) love to hire illegal aliens because it greatly increases there profit margins in multiple ways. They can pay them poorly and they will work there asses off for hours. There are many ways they save, including health insurance.
I know plenty of builders who have them working for them.
I'm sure there are a couple homeless people that wouldn't mind a few of these jobs?
Of course the thread is about college aid, but it all boils down to helping people out who are doing things the wrong way.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »

But see, with robbery, there's automatically a victim. The very act itself causes someone harm.
With illegal immigration, there isn't automatically harm done. Many illegal immigrants get jobs, pay taxes, and become law abiding, productive members of society. The act of immigrating illegally doesn't automatically harm anyone.
Yes it does. It 100% does. Jobs my friend...jobs.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »

If we didn't already have data for it, would you automatically assume that illegal immigrants are taking jobs?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: June 12, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »

If we didn't already have data for it, would you automatically assume that illegal immigrants are taking jobs?
No offense, but your a kid to me. I was a tradesmen for nearly 20 years and I saw first hand what happens. I'm not blind. I don't need statistics to prove to me what I already know.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: June 12, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: June 12, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »

Please?  I'm sure I'm just misinterpreting you but I don't think I can decipher what you're trying to get at.

There's no way Tick looks that badass.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »
You'd shit your pants if he did Matt. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2011, 08:59:30 PM »
Many small business owners(building, flooring, roofing, etc) love to hire illegal aliens because it greatly increases there profit margins in multiple ways. They can pay them poorly and they will work there asses off for hours. There are many ways they save, including health insurance.

Sounds to me like the problem is also at least partially the fault of American business owners then. Why are we pinning all the blame on the immigrants that are just looking for some money to survive?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
tick is like one of these old men in the small town I used to live in.

My mother runs a factory and had to hire immigrants (legal ones) to do the jobs there because no one else wanted them but as soon as they turned up all the old folk were claiming that the immigrants were taking their jobs away from them.

Also, nice job of playing the "I'm older than you, therefore you know nothing" card. It's been a while.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2011, 09:00:14 PM »

Please?  I'm sure I'm just misinterpreting you but I don't think I can decipher what you're trying to get at.

There's no way Tick looks that badass.
I'm bad ass enough.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2011, 09:00:29 PM »
No offense, but your a kid to me. I was a tradesmen for nearly 20 years and I saw first hand what happens. I'm not blind. I don't need statistics to prove to me what I already know.

Sorry, but you do need statistics.  One person's personally experiences are far from enough to make a generalization about immigrants taking jobs. 

And you can stop playing the age card now, it's really obnoxious.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »
I dunno.  I think a well-placed poke to his brittle old man hip would take him out. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #171 on: June 12, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
I dunno.  I think a well-placed poke to his brittle old man hip would take him out. :lol

You'd have a hard time with me then. I've got a lot of protection.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
tick is like one of these old men in the small town I used to live in.

My mother runs a factory and had to hire immigrants (legal ones) to do the jobs there because no one else wanted them but as soon as they turned up all the old folk were claiming that the immigrants were taking their jobs away from them.

Also, nice job of playing the "I'm older than you, therefore you know nothing" card. It's been a while.
No problem. Little boy.
and I never said he knew nothing.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:25:58 PM by tick »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2011, 09:12:21 PM »

Sorry, but you do need statistics.  One person's personally experiences are far from enough to make a generalization about immigrants taking jobs.  

And you can stop playing the age card now, it's really obnoxious.
I'll play whatever card suits me. Maybe I think your obnoxious?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:25:05 PM by tick »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: June 12, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
Why is it ok for all you youngsters to fuck with me calling me old,(and man if that isn't old) but god forbid if I mention that I have lived longer and seen a lot more then you have and I'm a dick? Its just a fact.
Its just the way it is kids. The longer you live the more you will experience. Do you think that's untrue or something?
It doesn't make me playing any age card.
You guys do it out of disrespect and its funny?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:27:51 PM by tick »