Author Topic: Steven Wilson  (Read 316049 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Steven Wilson
« Reply #3115 on: August 05, 2014, 01:22:21 PM »
To add a little bit what Kev said, the live show for TRTRTS seemed so complete with all the members that played in the album was on tour.  That show still resonates with me.  I believe Rumbo was blown away as well.

I went to the Berklee Performance Center totally oblivious of The Raven. I saw the album cover on the merchandise table on my way in, and I remember thinking "oh jeez, now it's all music I've never heard before." Usually the sound in venues is so bad that, unless you know the songs inside out, you can't really enjoy them live.
10 minutes or so into the concert I was frantically manhandling my phone in the dark, buying the album from Amazon. I was totally floored.
Only other time that has happened in my life was when seeing Dream Theater back in '95 or something, and they had Spock's Beard opening for them. Had never heard of them, and same thing, my jaw dropped to the floor 10 minutes in.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3116 on: August 05, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »
The Raven That Refused to Sing has made me more familiar with the sound of the mellotron, so I can spot it in other recordings where I otherwise wouldn't have known what it sounds like.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3117 on: August 08, 2014, 05:45:46 AM »
I was thinking of albums from the 80's that were #1 on both continents, I was thinking Asia's self titled album and Yes 90125.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #3118 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »
"Relayer is confirmed as the third release in the series of SW remixed Yes (official) albums to be issued in 5.1 & new stereo high-resolution audio configuration. Relayer was the band’s 7th studio album, released in 1974, and contains just 3 long pieces, including the ambitious 22 minute Gates of Delirium.

Mixed by Steven Wilson & released with the full approval of the band, Relayer will be available in CD/DVD-A digipack & CD/Blu-Ray mini LP gatefold editions. These are available to pre-order now from https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/, release date 3rd November.

Both editions will also contain the original album mix in high-resolution & bonus audio material, full details of which will be announced shortly.

Restored artwork approved by Roger Dean & new sleevenotes by Sid Smith complete the package,the release of which coincides with the 40th anniversary of the album's original late 1974 appearance."
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3119 on: September 04, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »
I made this for a friend who wanted to learn The raven that refused to sing. I thought maybe someone here wants it.
I'm pretty sure it has plenty of mistakes but my music "habilities" doesn't go that far  :lol

Sorry for doing it on paper. I did it on class  ;D

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3120 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17:41 AM »
Cool I'm setting down at the piano in a few minuten to see if it's any good!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3121 on: September 05, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »
Lol, I already spotted a mistake, but you'll notice that in the last part (noted as part E) the first note of the second bar should be a C, not an A. My mind went off for a moment I think  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3122 on: September 05, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
On a one-to-five scale of similarity, one being "totally different", three being "similar traits", and five being "basically identical", Grace for Drowning and Raven are probably like a three. Raven wasn't totally safe but it wasn't a total risk either.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3123 on: September 05, 2014, 11:37:37 AM »
Insurgentes was a risk. It was his first solo album, and his main influences and sounds on the album were more obscure and experimental (noise/drone for example). I don't think either GfD or Raven are risks, because both are progressive rock albums, and most of SW's fanbase are already familiar with that genre. Even PT has a lot of 70's prog rock over some of their albums (and songs), so it was more of a natural extension of that, compared to Insurgentes which was more a combination of his obscure projects (Bass Communion and IEM) mixed with some PT-ness.

I think though what separates them is that Grace was the first album after PT sort of being disbanded, and by the time Raven came out, I think most people had already accepted that his solo project would be his main project from now on.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:47:46 AM by Zantera »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3124 on: September 05, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »
I don't think it was much of a risk even though it was his name on it.  Every fan of his knew all his other side project like Bass Communion which expanded his influences.  Hell! P-Tree is diverse in their influences.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3125 on: September 05, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
I think that with Insurgentes Wilson was free to experiment a lot and that can be seen on the album. Lots of noise/drone/ambient/Post-Rock. Sometimes I feel like is a very disperse album, Really cool songs that feels disconnected between them. On the other hand, Grace for Drowning feels to me like the perfect balance between experimentation and what we all know Wilson for. It's maybe less of a risk, but is, to me, the best SW album to date.
The raven it's a step backwards in my opinion, even though I love how emotional are Drive Home and The Raven...

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3126 on: September 05, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
I don't think it was much of a risk even though it was his name on it.  Every fan of his knew all his other side project like Bass Communion which expanded his influences.  Hell! P-Tree is diverse in their influences.

Many fans probably knew about Bass Communion but it doesn't necessarily mean they had listened to it or even liked it. The audience for the BC sound isn't anywhere near as big as the one for PT, and the same goes for No-Man which is also represented in Insurgentes (Veneno anyone?)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3127 on: September 05, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
We were just talking risks and my point was Steven already takes risks before Insurgents came out.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3128 on: September 10, 2014, 03:06:19 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3129 on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
Aweeeesome.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3130 on: September 10, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
Hell to the yeaaaah!!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3131 on: September 10, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »
*Touches himself*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3132 on: September 10, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
 :D :D :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3133 on: September 10, 2014, 11:13:49 PM »
All of the above. This is awesome news and my penis is ready to explode upon listening.

...or my heart and emotions, depending on which route Wilson takes this time around. I'm hoping for some brooding melancholy.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3134 on: September 11, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3135 on: September 13, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »
From Marco Minneman's Facebook...

Just finished the recordings for the new STEVEN WILSON album in London.
It was a great vibe and I think the material came out great, too. See you soon on tour with that band again.... thank you Adam, Guthrie, Nick, and Steven. And also thank you Steve Orchard for the amazing sounds we got in the studio.

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3136 on: September 13, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »

It was a great vibe and I think the material came out great, too. See you soon on tour with that band again.... thank you Adam, Guthrie, Nick, and Steven. And also thank you Steve Orchard for the amazing sounds we got in the studio.

ALREADY?!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3137 on: September 13, 2014, 04:59:02 PM »
They're beasts :lol

Oh gawd, I'm more excited for another tour. I hope they come to Denver, but also like excuses to travel to new cities...

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3138 on: September 13, 2014, 06:50:43 PM »

One of the songs has the title of "Ancestral".

That might be a working title though. Still interesting to see!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:14:24 PM by Lucien »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3139 on: September 13, 2014, 06:52:30 PM »
Man, they work fast.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3140 on: September 13, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »

ALREADY?!

Yeah I'm quite shocked by how fast they recorded the album too, but at the same time we probably shouldn't be surprised because TRTRTS was recorded in only 7 days.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3141 on: September 13, 2014, 08:20:55 PM »

ALREADY?!

Yeah I'm quite shocked by how fast they recorded the album too, but at the same time we probably shouldn't be surprised because TRTRTS was recorded in only 7 days.
They might be still recording vocals, armonies and other little arrangements and details that can't be recorded with the live setup.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3142 on: September 13, 2014, 09:12:09 PM »
Fuckin' brilliant! Ancestral...I like it. Ohhhhh it's that time of year!!! About to crank some Akerfeldt, Wilson, Townsend...my Fall-Winter trio of perfect man musk music.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3143 on: September 14, 2014, 02:44:39 AM »
Wow. That sure is fast. Can't wait for the album!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3144 on: September 28, 2014, 05:59:46 AM »
I watched the Insurgentes documentary a couple of days ago and nearly died of laughter during the Disneyland bit. :lol

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3145 on: September 28, 2014, 06:59:48 AM »
The combination of "the happiest place on earth" with Steven Wilson's deadpan face and the creepy drone/ambient music is priceless.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3146 on: September 28, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »
That Disneyland moment remains my favorite scene in the entire documentary...4 years later! I remembered shortly after the documentary came out I actually went there and tried to recreate the whole "Carousel Of Prog" thing  :rollin

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3147 on: September 28, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »
That was hilarious for so many reasons.   :rollin

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3148 on: September 28, 2014, 10:15:21 AM »
I remembered shortly after the documentary came out I actually went there and tried to recreate the whole "Carousel Of Prog" thing  :rollin
Awesome! :lol

Having discovered this glorious video I decided to change my avatar. :D

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3149 on: September 28, 2014, 10:28:22 AM »
Yeah, best part of the movie.