Author Topic: Steven Wilson  (Read 318901 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Steven Wilson
« Reply #805 on: October 14, 2011, 01:27:17 AM »
Would have been interesting with Mikael and Steven doing a song like "Deform to Form a Star", and then for the chorus, Mike Portnoy pops in with "DAY AFTER DAY, NIGHT AFTER NIGHT"  :biggrin:

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #806 on: October 14, 2011, 04:28:14 AM »
Even the most logical potential failure, an album entirely composed of white noise and japanese employment training samples would turn out fantastic.

BTW I know this is off topic, but I was told that I should update my BluRay players firmware if I want to listen to GfD. I'm having problems with my samsung... it seems to connect to the internet and even says 'Ready for download' and 'Preparing for upgrade' but returns to the main menu before anything starts downloading. Any tips?

Can't you do it with a CD-R?

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #807 on: October 14, 2011, 04:50:39 AM »
Yeah, I'm about to do it with a USB stick. Once the firmware is updated, there shouldn't be any problems with connecting to the internet right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #808 on: October 14, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »
Excerpt from https://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/interviews/steven-wilson-theres-a-lot-of-mythmaking-going-on-these-days#.TpclonO0zJx

You’ve got a project with Opeth’s Mikael Akerfeldt bubbling away too, called Storm Corrosion. How’s that coming along?
I just finished it this week actually, and it’s coming out in April on Roadrunner Records. And it’s not what anyone’s expecting.

There were rumours of former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy playing on it too?
The thing is, I’ve been planning a project with Mikael for years and years and years, and Mike [Portnoy] heard about it and wanted do drums, and we were like ‘Okay, great, he’s a great drummer and everything’, but in the end when we sat down and made the record, we kind of did something that didn’t even really have a role for a drummer. It’s quite an orchestral record, a lot of strings and woodwind, a lot of guitars and vocals of course, but the role of the drummer was quite minimal. If we’d done a progressive metal thing, then Mike would have been perfect for it, but in the end that’s not what either of us wanted to do.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: October 14, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
That is a very interesting description for Storm Corrosion.  Color me intrigued.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #810 on: October 14, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »
Not much news there, but every time I see him mention Storm Corrosion, I just get more and more psyched about it.
Can't wait!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #811 on: October 14, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
That is a very interesting description for Storm Corrosion.  Color me intrigued.

This. The thought of MA and SW harmonizing with each other gives me such a large erection!

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #812 on: October 14, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm about to do it with a USB stick. Once the firmware is updated, there shouldn't be any problems with connecting to the internet right?

No idea.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: October 14, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »

This. The thought of MA and SW harmonizing with each other gives me such a large erection!
like on "Shesmovedon" 2005 and several Opeth records? ;)

(it does sound amazing though. glad i get some time to save up for whatever deluxe package they're inevitably releasing!)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #814 on: October 14, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »

like on "Shesmovedon" 2005 and several Opeth records? ;)

(it does sound amazing though. glad i get some time to save up for whatever deluxe package they're inevitably releasing!)

YES!

Also I just watched the video for Remainder the Black Dog high. The middle scene in the woods was one of the most intense things I have experienced.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #815 on: October 14, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »
I'm in love with the new album.  So lush & sparse.  I love how he lets the songs breath.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #816 on: October 15, 2011, 01:19:29 PM »
Tell you what: the next time you have to drive at least 20 minutes by yourself late at night when it is all dark out, crank Raider II up to the max and enjoy.  It is just...wow. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #817 on: October 15, 2011, 03:52:33 PM »
Tell you what: the next time you have to drive at least 20 minutes by yourself late at night when it is all dark out, crank Raider II up to the max and enjoy.  It is just...wow. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

We just went on a long drive today leaf peeping and the new album was great to listen to in those long winding, hilly back roads.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #818 on: October 15, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
Only thing that bugs me about GFD is that Steven Wilson didn't redo Home In Negative, when I'm pretty sure he said that earlier version was a rough demo and he was planning on doing more on it. But it's the same exact version on GFD.  :-\

Shame cause it's one of my all time favorite SW songs, and I was kind of hoping he'd taken advantage of the actual choir he used on the main album instead of the crappy little patch.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #819 on: October 16, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »
To be honest, I'm surprised at all the praise Raider II is getting.  I hate to say it, but for me it's easily the worst song Steven Wilson has put out (talking strictly solo stuff here).  Never have 23 minutes felt so long to me.  It takes too much time to go absolutely nowhere.  There's a cool moment that crops up every now and again, but it is a freaking chore to get through.  I prefer the demo, if only because it has that cool riff found in Raider Acceleration, but I can do without them both.  If Raider II was a very young, malnourished little girl . . . I'd punch her in the face.

I'm sorry, had to vent.  Curious if anyone else here doesn't care for it though.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #820 on: October 16, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »
To be honest, I'm surprised at all the praise Raider II is getting.  I hate to say it, but for me it's easily the worst song Steven Wilson has put out (talking strictly solo stuff here).  Never have 23 minutes felt so long to me.  It takes too much time to go absolutely nowhere.  There's a cool moment that crops up every now and again, but it is a freaking chore to get through.  I prefer the demo, if only because it has that cool riff found in Raider Acceleration, but I can do without them both.  If Raider II was a very young, malnourished little girl . . . I'd punch her in the face.

I'm sorry, had to vent.  Curious if anyone else here doesn't care for it though.

To me, Raider II is a compressed sum-up of the entire album.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: October 16, 2011, 06:38:33 PM »
it took me a while to warm up to "Raider II." it's not my favourite song on the record but i don't find it particularly boring; just takes some serious dedication in the right mood (thankfully, a mood created on the Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye disc). once the song really takes off (the first time it gets loud), i'm usually hooked in for the whole ride.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #822 on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:03 AM »
Raider II is probably my third or fourth favorite song on the whole thing, just such a beast.

Offline jag66

« Reply #823 on: October 17, 2011, 04:09:12 AM »
Raider II has seriously grown on me. Found it hard to concentrate all the way through to begin with, but digging it now..

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #824 on: October 17, 2011, 09:00:18 AM »
Its not the type of song that you can listen to all willy nilly, you have to be in the right mood and have decent-good speakers/headphones to truly appreciate what's going on

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #825 on: October 17, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »
Yeah, I actually just listened to it with headphones for the first time and :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #826 on: October 17, 2011, 03:44:20 PM »
yeah I spun GFD briefly and was like "it's ok, a couple songs seem good but meh", although I knew I needed to give it a better listen.
So today while doing homework at school, I popped in the ol' headphones and turned it on and I was like, "you know, I'm really enjoying this."

So I imagine in a couple more listens I'll be drooling all over my keyboard when I turn it on. I'm also starting to like Deadwing a lot more (after having listened exclusively to LB, IA and FOABP).

WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS DONE TO ME

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #827 on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS DONE TO ME

Made you right.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: October 18, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
the official Steven Wilson iPhone app, launched today, features the debut of "Cut Ribbon," recorded for Grace For Drowning but left off the bonus selections. it's the same song (often misnamed "Wet Ribbon") from the Out Absentia bootleg of IA demos, intended for the project with Mikael Åkerfeldt before it became whatever Storm Corrosion is.

recording quality is obviously fantastic compared to the demo, as is the vocal layering for the choruses. guitar sound is very Insurgentes, and it definitely sounds exactly like "Futile"-esque Gavin Harrison drumming. i hope SW throws it on his SoundCloud at some point, i'd like to be able to keep it.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #829 on: October 18, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
It took me a while (needed to get used to having to wake up earlier than 1PM again :p) but today I'll finally listen to Grace For Drowning. Definitely looking forward to listening with the photo album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #830 on: October 19, 2011, 12:17:12 AM »
Enjoy! It's one of his finest albums imo.  :tup

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #831 on: October 19, 2011, 04:19:33 AM »
the official Steven Wilson iPhone app, launched today, features the debut of "Cut Ribbon," recorded for Grace For Drowning but left off the bonus selections. it's the same song (often misnamed "Wet Ribbon") from the Out Absentia bootleg of IA demos, intended for the project with Mikael Åkerfeldt before it became whatever Storm Corrosion is.

recording quality is obviously fantastic compared to the demo, as is the vocal layering for the choruses. guitar sound is very Insurgentes, and it definitely sounds exactly like "Futile"-esque Gavin Harrison drumming. i hope SW throws it on his SoundCloud at some point, i'd like to be able to keep it.

I really want to hear this now - I hope the android version comes out soon, or it's posted on his soundcloud.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #832 on: October 19, 2011, 07:07:41 AM »
Anyone else find it kind of ironic that he has an iphone app? :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #833 on: October 19, 2011, 07:09:31 AM »

Yeah I thought about that too. :lol

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #834 on: October 19, 2011, 07:32:54 AM »
ALL THIS ARTWORK. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO PUT AS MY WALLPAPER.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #835 on: October 19, 2011, 08:34:12 AM »

Yeah I thought about that too. :lol

:lol Honestly, the idea of an app for ANY band seems pretty stupid to me. Don't we already have 100 other ways of getting info and news on bands, do we really need an individual app for each one?

I really wanna hear the track though!

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #836 on: October 19, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »
He indirectly comments on this from within the app saying that the app is designed to be a companion to the albums that are officially released, offering user a chane to enjoy the visuals while on the go. He said he also hopes to use the app to distribute things that don't find homes for phsyical release.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #837 on: October 19, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »
Seriously, all dat artwork.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #838 on: October 19, 2011, 10:37:59 AM »
He indirectly comments on this from within the app saying that the app is designed to be a companion to the albums that are officially released, offering user a chane to enjoy the visuals while on the go. He said he also hopes to use the app to distribute things that don't find homes for phsyical release.

That's cool I guess, but I don't see why that stuff isn't on a website instead since any phone that can run apps has access to the internet. It also allows people who don't have smart phones to enjoy the extras.

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #839 on: October 19, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »

That's cool I guess, but I don't see why that stuff isn't on a website instead since any phone that can run apps has access to the internet. It also allows people who don't have smart phones to enjoy the extras.

I don't disagree by any means, but to be honest the app is coded really well. Really beautiful and elegant to my mind. It certainly wasn't thrown together. He says he's also hoping to add live video clips from the tour there. That's not to say it's *groudbreaking* or anything along those lines, or necessarily the best way to (exclusively) distribute these things, but as  a SW fan I enjoy the app.  :metal

Some screenshots for those interested (click on thumbnail for full-res):