Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484693 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #2100 on: August 01, 2011, 05:22:53 AM »
It's actually a hidden track that you access by playing the album 20 times.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2101 on: August 01, 2011, 06:16:51 AM »
A review in Greek (i hope google translate works well) https://rocking.gr/reviews/album/Dream_Theater_-_A_Dramatic_Turn_Of_Events/3662/

When i have the time i will try to post a translation of the review.

Offline farsight

« Reply #2102 on: August 01, 2011, 06:37:21 AM »
I cant wait for the translation and I wanted to read the Greek review so well so I did try google translate:
For those closely following the progress of the band's new job is a great enigma, as the final word on that hitherto had by Portnoy and many think it is a prime challenge for others to prove that they are doing without him.
I changed my mind and decided to wait for your translation then.  :biggrin:
I like this sentence though:
I really thought that musicians like Petrucci, a Myung, Rudess, or the even the Labrie have reason to prove their worth or their ability?
I guess this confirms that John Myung is a cyborg? and you cant describe the greatness of JLB with one the, you need two thes.  :metal

Its very interesting though, it says BMUBMD sounds like Linkin Park.
I'd like to see a proper translation of the two last paragraphs. seems like its saying that DT is missing Portnoy?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2103 on: August 01, 2011, 06:45:50 AM »
I think he said "he" was afraid of that, but it comes out that ADTOE is a good album, without great peaks but neither low points.

Sirtaki!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2104 on: August 01, 2011, 06:49:38 AM »
Off-topic, but Greek looks like a beautiful language.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2105 on: August 01, 2011, 09:13:34 AM »
Wow it's a long one. Can't wait for translation, and of course for 9th September ;)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2106 on: August 01, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
I'm a huge fan of The LaBrie.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #2107 on: August 01, 2011, 10:21:26 AM »
The "Lost, Not Forgotten" is probably the most heavy song, pressing between "Train Of Thought" and "Scenes From A Memory", dynamic, with a straight character and the first orgies.
Orgies!  :metal

Offline eosforum

« Reply #2108 on: August 01, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »
Off-topic, but Greek looks like a beautiful language.

Oh, it is  :hat

Offline eosforum

« Reply #2109 on: August 01, 2011, 10:46:35 AM »
And this is the translation taken from another thread. It isn't perfect but it's quite easily understandable

A dramatic twist or maybe just a change of the times? Anyway in reality, this is the most discussed album ever released by the leaders of the progressive metal, Dream Theater. After a series of events that have been fully explained, first presented without their natural leader, drummer Mike Portnoy, Mike Mangini takes the heavy burden of his replacement. For those closely following the progress of the band's new job the new album is a great enigma, as Portnoy used to call the shots and many think it is a prime challenge for others to prove that they are doing fine without him . Did we really thought that musicians like Petrucci,  Myung, Rudess, or the even  Labrie have reason to prove their worth or their ability?

At this point is the big win of this album. The album is gaining substance and impressions, not as a result of sophisticated demonstration or sensationalism, but as a natural consequence of the quality of the work of the musicians who make up the band.  "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" is an excellent album and the continued hearings do not leave room for doubt on this, as the playing and compositions contained therein break every disbelief. What do we find in the new album? Dense and robustness, many inspired ideas, and compositions which regardless of length hold their consistency as well as some small-but significant-enough differences from the recent past and recent recordings of the band.

Initially, the production seems ideal, but noone will the "growling" vocals of Portnoy, as well, only as positive can be characterized by the abandonment of sci-fi themes in the lyrics with a shift to a more human-centered issues. In addition, you will not hear in the songs Metallica, Tool, Muse signs or any other influence adhere, only Dream Theater, while the Rudess seems to have stopped the experiments with the keytar solo or iphone and has regained full range sounds that will remind many fans cheering because the statement of membership in the band. But not crazy, there is no great return of Dream Theater that many will try to sell, and never left the limelight to return, never did discount vision and their quality, just the new album aside the information puzzled a significant portion of their followers, focusing on those for which loved more.

On the other hand, this involves a large trap that may work slightly inhibitory, and the album feels like the safe choice on some levels, and many structures are embedded in older songs, not too long or unattractive, but marked as an approach not characterized them as a band ever. Possibly the fact that from the most commercially successful album of their career to be an important and substantial justification, but the course of Dream Theater has always been full of risks, surprises and records whether liked or not ultimately give them a separate identity. Remember how every few risks taken from the "Scenes From A Memory" in "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", in "Train Of Thought" and "Octavarium". Here you will find a special surprise, a novel or a risk to the 9 songs and 77 minutes duration of the album, but you will find lots of music, ie a lot of stuff.

The "On The Back Of Angels" has been quite some time now, without anything particularly impressive, beautifully opens the disc, being partly characteristic of the style of the album, with the theme played by Petrucci to the bridge apart. The "Bring Me Up, Break Me Down" is "commercial" song of the album with an introduction reminiscent of Linkin Park (!) Bringing to mind a more heavy and prog version of "These Walls" and featuring the most catchy refrain on the album and probably will and choice of company for a possible video. The "Lost, Not Forgotten" is probably the most heavy song, pressing between "Train Of Thought" and "Scenes From A Memory", dynamic, with a straight character and the first orgies. The "This Is The Life" is the first ballad, with lyrics dealing with several personal choices that make everyone's life, while referring to the slight sound of "Sacrified Sons", with plenty of piano and emotional solos do Petrucci difference. The "Bridges In The Sky" and "Outcry" below are two 11lepta prog epics, which will find all the elements that have made the great Theater. Amazing harmonies, great instrumental parts, oriental scales, very beautiful chorus in the first and second transitions, and very concise interpretations by Labrie.

Of course, the pioneers are the Petrucci and near his Rudess, in kresenta inspiration that will bring even Liquid Tension Experiment oases in the eyes of most observational. The second ballad of the album, the "Far From Heaven" is a four-minute song with piano and voice in which the personal lyrics, written in first person, perhaps sent to Portnoy. Music is not as simplistic as Vacant, nor the logic of "Answer Lies Within" or "Wither", presenting a more prog logic and a very expressive interpretation. The "Breaking All Illusions" is the song that will stand out rather easily among fans, being provocative prog, inspiring and lasting changes, and stamped Myung, who mobilized to contribute to the alliance. Maybe some points "clicked" a little more to the logic of "Learning To Live", but ultimately to 12 minutes of standing as a prominent self-luminous composition. The album closes with the third in a series of ballad, which is a relaxed easy listening song, which the Petrucci is primarily intended for personal use, but eventually was used to close the album with a tendency to melancholy, while quite beautiful, and not sensational.

Every heard of the disk can be approached from a different side of focusing on what is offered unilaterally by each member, as Dream Theater had never superficial crisis than anyone, which is a blessing and curse them. In this logic, that Petrucci is once again gripping in many ways, the Rudess doing better overall appearance for many years, Myung shows more active than the recent past and Labrie show really concise explanations, avoiding the contortions voice. Finally, Mangini is flawless in performance, blends very well with others, highlights the instrumental parts and makes his absence to Portnoy seems as painless as possible, filling the gap dramatically, a vacuum of things we know will not meet never fully.

For if "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" would be quality I had great doubt, but that is so good I am delighted, as the exodus of Portnoy seemed to bring the band at a crossroads without a leader and hence no orientation . Leaving the Portnoy took with him the details of the nature of the band, namely the stubbornness, the genius, the opadismo and megalomania. This results in the disk than in the past to stand up without touching peaks, but no trace of low flying or weak points. Attention, however, to those who will speak on the level "Images And Words", "Awake" or "Scenes From A Memory", since such comparisons conceal a cheap marketing and irrelevance surrounding the history of this great band.

Finally, after what happened in "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" is seen as a great victory for Dream Theater, worthy of high status who have achieved all these years and their quality. They seem to balance again between progressive and metal and reinvested in lyricism. And if in the middle got nightmares, we did not stop everyone to love this great band to continue to dream ...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:03:13 AM by eosforum »

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2110 on: August 01, 2011, 11:01:58 AM »
^^ If it's as good as this sounds, it could rank #2 on my DT album list. Unlikely to surpass I&W but you never know . . .

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2111 on: August 01, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
Now, I'm pumped for BMUBMD and LNF like hell  :metal :metal

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2112 on: August 01, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
At this point is the big win of this album.

*excited for the big win*
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2113 on: August 01, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »

As am I.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2114 on: August 01, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »

As am I.
As I am.

Offline Jarlaxle

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2116 on: August 01, 2011, 01:05:04 PM »
orgies.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2117 on: August 01, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »
orgies.

I'm sorry but that sentence has me trying to hold in my laughter here at work.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2118 on: August 01, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
The lack of tordenperle krall on this disc disappoints me.

Literally.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2119 on: August 01, 2011, 01:26:10 PM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2120 on: August 01, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »
The lack of tordenperle krall on this disc disappoints me.

Literally.
Return to the root of funk.

But men.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2121 on: August 01, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »
Allready there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:05:38 PM by BlackInk »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2122 on: August 01, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
lol yes
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #2123 on: August 01, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
Allready there.
But have you mobilized to contribute to the alliance?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2124 on: August 01, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
Allready there.
But have you mobilized to contribute to the alliance?
Eh.. Yeah of course I have. And every Womp Rat is singing with new found joy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:17:13 PM by BlackInk »

Offline farsight

« Reply #2125 on: August 01, 2011, 10:03:19 PM »
Labrie show really concise explanations, avoiding the contortions voice.
didnt know JLB once was a contortionist  :omg:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: August 01, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »
Labrie show really concise explanations, avoiding the contortions voice.
didnt know JLB once was a contortionist  :omg:

Zook, I know you're reading this.  Please make it happen.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2127 on: August 02, 2011, 05:26:06 AM »
From what little I can make out from that review, I am excited.  And yes, I have mobilized to contribute to the alliance.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2128 on: August 02, 2011, 06:03:12 AM »
From what little I can make out from that review, I am excited.  And yes, I have mobilized to contribute to the alliance.

With the first orgies?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2129 on: August 02, 2011, 06:19:35 AM »
I can preorder ADToE only from US site. Will I get it 9th or 13th September?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2130 on: August 02, 2011, 06:56:04 AM »
I can preorder ADToE only from US site. Will I get it 9th or 13th September?
Probably 15th or so, honestly, given delivery time. Just get it in-store on the ninth - the trip to the shop is always more exciting than waiting for the post anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2131 on: August 02, 2011, 07:14:44 AM »

With the first orgies?
Of course.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2132 on: August 02, 2011, 07:36:05 AM »
There must be some kind of mass-alliance-contributing-mobilization organized.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2133 on: August 02, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
There must be some kind of mass-alliance-contributing-mobilization organized.
Literally.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2134 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:17 AM »
I just pre-ordered the CD/DVD version. Chances are it won't arrive on the 13th unless they ship it early to arrive on time. *snip*
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:43:38 AM by hefdaddy42 »