Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484543 times)

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #1925 on: July 27, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »
The floor ends up being the "beautiful moment" of the disc.
Written like a true floor-lover.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: July 27, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »
So.... does anyone here speak Portugese?
Considering it's similar to Spanish, I'll give it a go.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1927 on: July 27, 2011, 06:03:27 PM »
I read that in translated English, and it don't mean shit to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1928 on: July 27, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »
So.... does anyone here speak Portugese?
Considering it's similar to Spanish, I'll give it a go.

Best of luck to you.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1929 on: July 27, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
I feel like every DT review I've ever read says: It sounds like DT, but different. It goes to lots of new places, but retains the core DT sound we all know and love.

I really hope this one is different. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #1930 on: July 27, 2011, 06:31:59 PM »
I just went ahead and read the Brazilian review and I must say that I found it kind of biased (the reviewer clearly isn't into the lighter/poppier side of DT and he pans any song that features that side of the band).

Some interesting tidbits:

1- ADToE sounds like DT and doesn't feature homages/tributes to other prog or metal bands (though he later says that there's a strong Yes vibe in "Outcry").
2- It is a keyboard-heavy record (with some retro/seventies sounding keyboards in songs like "Outcry" and "Lost Not Forgotten").
3- JP's solo in "Lost Not Forgotten" is one of the most beautiful moments on the album.
4- The reviewer was quite smitten with "Bridges in the Sky (and, to a lesser extent, "Breaking All Illusions") and rates it highly.
5- "Lost Not Forgotten" doesn't sound like a 10+ minute song because it has a good flow and it feels shorter.
6- "Build Me Up, Break Me Down" is a poppier songs and features a pretty catchy chorus.
7- "Far From Heaven" is a piano/vocal duet.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1931 on: July 27, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
With a 25 year journey, Dream Theater is taking their most important step in their career by releasing their 11th album after Mike Portnoy -founding member and major influence in the band's sound- dramatically quit. Therefore, the expectation comes with the name of the next album "A Dramatic Turn of Events". This is not only the debut of Mike Mangini -who had to live a true reality show in order to be chosen, among with other six drummers-, but the establishment of a new type of brand that has to replace Portnoy. This has built the anticipation to all the fans -the release date being next Sept. 13.

'Rock em Geral' magazine had access to this new anticipated CD and has prepared a commentary while listening each song for the first time. In previous albums, Dream Theater has made musical references to other metal and prog bands, but "A Dramatic Turn of Events" aims to sound conform to this new formation; bringing its own sound. At the same time, the sound is not that new. Anyone who has listened to Dream Theater will immediately recognize that their album length will oscillate the 75 min mark (not sure what they meant by this). The band played safe on this album, avoiding lots of risks; a conservative approach. It's too soon to compare this album with other records. Anyway, here's the review:

1- On the Backs of Angels
This song was released last month and is the only track that fans can listen live in this new tour. The music is very Dream Theater: it preserves the good instrumental sound driven by John Petrucci's beautiful riff. It has a beautiful solo that precedes the riff which highlighs JLB's dramatic vocals. A simple and easy song to identify. Get this CD, there's no risk.

2- Build Me Up, Break Me Down
It starts with a pre-recorded voice-over vocal with an echo and other effects. It has a clear pop feel, with a heavy bass line and swing, which makes a reference to its funky root. You can hear the keyboard in the back "filling the voids", which reinforces the pop characteristic of this song; the chorus will make your ears beg for more (you'll have your ears glued to this chours: literal trans). Despite the great composition of this song, it is not the best one. Mangini does some of his beats here and there, but it's just basic drumming.

3. Lost not Forgotten
it keeps the characteristic of this album with some emphasis on the keyboards in most parts. It starts with the keyboards imitating the acoustic piano sound (?) and it then changes to a progressive keyboard feel, typical of the 70s. The base of the vocals are tense. You can notice LaBrie's vocal power without screeching or straining his voice. The riff and the drums are pretty basic; JLB only looses his voice in the second part of this song. This is one of the four songs that surpasses the 10 minute mark, but the changes in the song are pretty ingenious. It's amazing how you don't feel 10 minutes passing by, it evidences that the music captivates and it is ingenious.

4- This is the Life
A slow, almost ballad feeling, with a climatic intro making emphasis on the keyboards and vocals. It's that kind of song that you think is going to start or take off, but it never does. JLB makes his backing-vocals in some verses, but what makes this track worthy is the beautiful solo in the end, playing along with the bass, which provides a heavy bass-line. The solo ends up being a "beautiful moment" in this album.

5- Bridges in The Sky
There's a vocal effect that mimics a cry in a cave that will appear again at the end of the song. This is a song that offers better dynamics, with a guitar that runs nervously behind a beautiful drum drive, with precise hits. MM starts to play faster and fits well with the bass and the guitar. Curiously, JP's solo is very economical, but very good, full of wah-wah sounds. There's an amazing guitar/keyboard duel, with Myung holding up well with the wave. This song is one of the best in this album.

6- Outcry
It has a grandiloquent intro, with a pre-recorded symphonic tone. The foundations of this song consists of a very good combination of guitar, bass and overwhelming keyboards, just like the rest of the CD (how superfluous can you get when writing a review, right?). This is pure old Yes, you can imagine Jordan Rudess dressed on stage like Rick Wakeman. With some discrete guitars and JLB singing softly, almost whispering, the music never takes off. Positively, this is a great song.

7- Far From Heaven
In an album with more than 75 minutes long, Far From Heaven sounds almost like a vignette. It's a duet between the vocals and the keys. This shouldn't have entered the track list.

8- Breaking All Illusions
It starts well, with an excellent melody and instrumental developments. A pop keyboard (in the sense that it captivates the listener) leads to a melodic evolution of the guitar; of rare beauty. It has a lot of good changes, tempo wise, in the instrumental parts: a "bed" of giant keyboards, bass and drums and great rapport with technical precision, and finally a pristine guitar. The "freshness" that you listen in the beginning gets lost, but it returns in the bridge and chorus. MM progressively starts to speed up the tempo, alternating with the highly progressive keyboards. Petrucci's sound is very dramatic, with the rest of the sounds preparing to lift-off, until the song skyrockets; DT's trademark. Great music with good dynamics.

9- Beneath the Surface
It starts slowly, you can onliste listen the vocals and some keyboard effects. It sounds like a cap (?) on the album, and at the same time, an optimistic view for the future, considering the recent turmoil in the band. Music has an emphasis on keyboards and JLB's voice is loose (you can say the same thing on every track).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:02:18 AM by emindead »

Offline Knguro

« Reply #1932 on: July 27, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
what what? is that it?
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #1933 on: July 27, 2011, 06:58:06 PM »
Build me up, Break me Down definitely sounds like potential second single material.

Offline Merida

« Reply #1934 on: July 27, 2011, 07:01:29 PM »
Hello good people, although I’ve been reading a lot on this forum, (which I actually find very interesting), I had never posted anything before, but well, this is my first post and I hope it is a good one.

First of all, I’m a Spanish guy who loves this band, and, I’ve just seen the Brazilian review thing. As Portuguesse is similar to Spanish, I will try to translate it in English for you. I’m Spanish and I have to translate from Brazilian to Spanish, and then to English, so I hope you understand that I won’t be able to translate it exactly.

Ok, here we go (skipping OTBOA as we all know that song perfectly nowadays):

Generally speaking, it says that ADTOE doesn’t sound like other bands, but like Dream Theater, so perhaps we won’t be saying “that song sounds like X band”. It says that maybe DT is trying to find their own identity as a base for the future. It also says that the guys of DT didn’t seem to have taken too much risk when making ADTOE because you can clearly identify the classical sound of the band and there isn’t too much innovation here.

2- Build Me Up, Break Me Down
It starts with a pre-recorded base and with an “off voice” (I don’t know how you call that) with some effects, like echoes. This song has a clear pop influence (O.o) with a heavy bass line from JM. The keyboards help to enforce the pop sound of the tune. It says that, although it has a good base, this song is not one of their best compositions. Also, Mike Mangini does some virtuous things here and there, but basically keeps the basic rhythm.

3- Lost Not Forgotten
It features a lot of emphasis on the keyboards (as the rest of the album in general). It starts with a piano melody but then it turns into a 70’s-like keyboard sound. The base of the tune and the vocals are solid. Labrie strains his voice but not to the point of sounding torn. The chorus is easy and the drums are simple, JLB highlights more on the second part of the song. This tune is one of the 4 songs that last for 10 or more minutes and it keeps the progressive side of the band shining all the way, although there aren’t too many inventive tempo changes. It says that it’s impressive how fast this 10 minute song passes by (in the good sense).

4- This is the Life
This one is a slow, beautiful ballad featuring a climatic beginning and emphasizing keyboards and vocals. It says the song is not too good but the amazing and beautiful solo by Petrucci saves it and turns into a very good one. That guitar solo (which is introduced by the bass at the end of the song) is one of the most beautiful moments in the album.

5- Bridged in the Sky
It starts with some sounds that sound like some shouts from a cave and those same shouts will appear again at the end of the song. It states that this is the best song in terms of dynamism, with a nervous guitar and some nice and precise drumming. Mike Mangini makes some amazing rhythm changes that fit very well in the song and help to enforce the bass and guitar riffs. There’s a short yet very good guitar solo with a wah-wah effect. By the end of the song there’s an incredible and surprising keyboard-guitar duel, with Myung keeping the good job. The reviewer also says that this is one of the best tunes in the album.

6- Outcry
It features a very grandiloquent start with some symphonic sounds. It has some very nice bass lines, with the JR shining again. The solo, which sounds like old Yes, makes you imagine JR dressed like Rick Wakeman. However, the review says that JP and JLB are a little moderate in this tune, so the song never gets to shine too much although it’s a good tune.

7-Far From Heaven
It’s a vocal and piano duet.

8- Breaking All Illusions
It starts very good, with an excellent instrumental melody that keeps evolving perfectly. JR does a very good job with his keyboard and leads us to a very rare, yet beautiful guitar melody. MM pulls some nice rhythm changes during a very solid instrumental section with some huge and climatic keyboard sounds, a technical bass line and a free guitar finally. MM does some small solos here and there alternating with a very progressive keyboard. The main solo by Petrucci is very dramatic and emotive. This is an excellent tune with a very good dynamic sounding.

9- Beneath the Surface
It’s a slow tune, with a start featuring just vocals with some keyboards effects accompanying JLB. This tune is a good ending for the album, but also a very promising hope for the future of the band. JR shines in this one too but JLB is the main actor, singing like he had never done before in the album.

Ok, this is all I can do and I really hope the album is good. Also, the Brazilian guy didn’t mention JLB in Breaking All Illusions, but he didn’t say it’s an instrumental song either, so I don’t know what to think. Overall, I think this is going to be a very positive album and seems to look more like Octavarium or Scenes From a Memory because it seems that there aren’t any tedious or annoying songs (you know, those songs that are too long, just like ANTR) and the shorter songs seem to be funny and even beautiful. I just can’t wait for the album to be played in my car.

EDIT: Well, I just remembered that Myung wrote the lyrics for Breaking All Illusions, so there's no doubt it's not an instrumental song, LOL

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:07:38 PM by Merida »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1935 on: July 27, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »
To add just a little bit to Beneath The Surface, is a good way to end the album and has the sound like they are optimistically looking towards the future.

This guy also makes it sound like Far From Heaven has no business being on the album. That's what I got my translation
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Knguro

« Reply #1936 on: July 27, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
Thanks!
i cant wait for this whole album to be out!  :hefdaddy
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Vajra

« Reply #1937 on: July 27, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
I ain't reading these reviews. I don't want this album to be spoiled, or have my hopes get raised like with SC.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1938 on: July 27, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
Far From Heaven has me excited in all sorts of ways. If it sounds anything like "Coming Home" I'll be so giddy!

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #1939 on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »
Definitely got more excited about "Bridges In The Sky" and "Breaking All Illusions". Also, kudos to emindead and Merida for the translation. I am from Brazil and if had seen this before, would have translated, but there is no need anymore. Translation is very accurate.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1940 on: July 27, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
I ain't reading these reviews. I don't want this album to be spoiled, or have my hopes get raised like with SC.

Here, I'll summarize the review for you without any spoilers, but will get the basic message the author had across.

"Meh"   
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #1941 on: July 27, 2011, 08:12:35 PM »
The author of the review also said he got the material by a streaming from RR, being previously asked if he wanted to do the review. I think we can expect more reviews sooner than we thought.
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1942 on: July 27, 2011, 08:26:57 PM »
The floor ends up being the "beautiful moment" of the disc.
Written like a true floor-lover.

Brand new floor?!

?!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wammabe

« Reply #1943 on: July 27, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
On The Back Of Angels        - Pull Me Under         - Basic Dream Theater-ish single
Build Me Up, Break Me Down - Another Day          - Pop-ish song
Lost Not Forgotten             - Take the Time        - LaBrie strains his voice more, 70-ish keyboard sounds?
This is the Life                   - Surrounded           - Slow, almost ballad-feeling
Bridges in the Sky               - Metropolis pt.1      - Best song in terms of dynamics
Outcry                             - Under A Glass Moon - Grandiloquent intro, Yes-sounding?
Far From Heaven                - Wait For Sleep       - Piano/Vocal duet
Breaking All Illusions            - Learning To Live     - Myung Lyrics, longest song in the album

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1944 on: July 27, 2011, 08:36:42 PM »
Well there you have it. People finally got their Images And Words Part 2.

:zook2:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1945 on: July 27, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »
If that is the truth, and it is of good quality.  :metal

I'm not a fan of remaking successful records, but if they do it right, why not? After listening to OTBOA I heard I&W everywhere, so I won't be surprised. Definitely beats what they were doing this decade.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1946 on: July 27, 2011, 08:40:30 PM »
If it's anything like I&W, then it'll be fantastic beyond all expectations. If it's anything different than I&W, I have a feeling it's still going to be amazing.

I /cannot/ wait to hear Bridges in the Sky now.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #1947 on: July 27, 2011, 08:41:27 PM »
Well there you have it. People finally got their Images And Words Part 2.

:zook2:

If that's so, we'll start seeing people wanting a Train of Thought pt.2 now.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1948 on: July 27, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
I don't like the idea of an Images and Words pt. 2.  I don't want this album to be just like images and words.  I wanted smething new from them, a new chapter.  I don't want them trying to repeat themselves.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1949 on: July 27, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
I doubt it will be an I&W Part 2.  It is very short-sighted of anyone to speculate that it will be simply because some song lengths are similar, the single lengths are similar, etc., especially when that person speculating hasn't even heard the freaking album yet.

Oh, but wait, Beneath the Surface is 5:26 and Just Let Me Breathe was 5:29, so guess what?  Those songs will probably song alike!  Ta-da!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1950 on: July 27, 2011, 08:47:29 PM »
On The Back Of Angels        - Pull Me Under         - Basic Dream Theater-ish single
Build Me Up, Break Me Down - Another Day          - Pop-ish song
Lost Not Forgotten             - Take the Time        - LaBrie strains his voice more, 70-ish keyboard sounds?
This is the Life                   - Surrounded           - Slow, almost ballad-feeling
Bridges in the Sky               - Metropolis pt.1      - Best song in terms of dynamics
Outcry                             - Under A Glass Moon - Grandiloquent intro, Yes-sounding?
Far From Heaven                - Wait For Sleep       - Piano/Vocal duet
Breaking All Illusions            - Learning To Live     - Myung Lyrics, longest song in the album

Congratulations on sparking what could be the most annoying debate on DTF since last week or so.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1951 on: July 27, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »

Congratulations on sparking what could be the most annoying debate on DTF since last week or so.

ahhh. this

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1952 on: July 27, 2011, 08:48:23 PM »
I don't like the idea of an Images and Words pt. 2.  I don't want this album to be just like images and words.  I wanted smething new from them, a new chapter.  I don't want them trying to repeat themselves.

They aren't repeating themselves, so chill.

The great debate lol haha get it it's like the song
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wammabe

« Reply #1953 on: July 27, 2011, 08:49:58 PM »

Some of Dream Theater's recent releases were already starting to feel like sequels to me already, if they do another album, I'd much rather have it similar to one of Dream Theater's most progressive albums. Either way, I really doubt its going to be just like Images and Words.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1954 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
no tordenperle krall this time around?

shit. literally
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1955 on: July 27, 2011, 08:54:36 PM »
Now wait a minute, man!

Offline Vajra

« Reply #1956 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »
lol alright, I've decided I'm officially staying away from this thread and any new threads regarding the new album... to many damn spoilers!  >:(

buh-bye

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #1957 on: July 28, 2011, 04:00:40 AM »
Damn.. I'm Portuguese and I can't understand most of the stuff written by the brazilian "jornalist".
They write like they talk on the streets, no use of dictionary words or grammar whatsoever..

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #1958 on: July 28, 2011, 04:06:28 AM »
If DT is opening the album to magazine reviewers on the following days we'll get to see more. Not even a word about the lyrics on this review and he is totally biased.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1959 on: July 28, 2011, 05:30:08 AM »
The promos have been sent as far as i know.
An editor for a greek rock music site said that he has listened to the record, and is going to post a review soon.
All he said is that it is definitely a grower album and not so easy from the first listen, and that lyrics are improved.