Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484557 times)

Offline Tunnel Vision

Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #1855 on: July 25, 2011, 05:57:19 PM »
I have never understood the hate the album cover gets...I think it looks great. It is a big change from a lot of their covers (WDaDU, Awake, Scenes, ToT, SC, and BCSL all had dark covers) and I like the fact that it is bright and almost happy looking to me.

Anyway, the box set looks really tempting and I would like to be able to have all the extras that are included in it, but I just can't spend that much money now. I'll probably end up buying either just the regular edition or the special edition w/ the dvd...I hope they took out all the cheesy "On the next installment of the spirit carries on..." outros that are on the youtube vids.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1856 on: July 25, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »
Frogs and locusts? I guess the 10 plagues of Egypt would be a pretty dramatic turn of events wouldn't it? :biggrin:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1857 on: July 25, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »
But the colors are considerably brighter than they have been in the past, and so seem "happier."  I mean, even though Octavarium didn't have such dark or oppressive looking scenery, the colors were still pretty earthy and so made the cover seem not "happy."
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline darkshot

« Reply #1858 on: July 25, 2011, 07:11:49 PM »
Frogs and locusts? I guess the 10 plagues of Egypt would be a pretty dramatic turn of events wouldn't it? :biggrin:

Yeah I noticed the same thing.  Reminds me of the Elephant and crow from the last album... we'll probably never figure out what they represent until we actually hear the album.  Disclaimer aside, anyone want to predict which song refers to the frog and locust?  :D

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1859 on: July 25, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »
im diggin the rest of the art

Offline Vajra

« Reply #1860 on: July 25, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
1 Month & 18 Days left!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1861 on: July 25, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »
Augh!!

Offline Vajra

« Reply #1862 on: July 25, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »
Augh!!
This month is practicly over, and after August, we have like 2 weeks of September. So really, it's like a month to go before we get the album. It's going to be here in no time. (even sooner if you're one of the people who will "give in to temptation" like I will, thanks to the wonders of the internet. Though still, I will be buying this album regardless.)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1863 on: July 25, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »
I'm just diggin the happier vibe with all of the blue and it just feels happier. And that little peak at the band photo. Pretty cool and not fake looking like the BC&SL promo pics. I'm just diggin the blue
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #1864 on: July 26, 2011, 03:24:34 AM »
Do you think they'll release just the vinyl version of the album in the future? I cant get the special edition ( :( ) I'd be happy with the vinyl only but I guess I'll have to get the standard edition.

FUCK ARGHHH I FLIPPIN HATE JEWEL CASES SOOOO DAMN MUCH

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1865 on: July 26, 2011, 03:43:16 AM »
I have never understood the hate the album cover gets...I think it looks great. It is a big change from a lot of their covers (WDaDU, Awake, Scenes, ToT, SC, and BCSL all had dark covers) and I like the fact that it is bright and almost happy looking to me.
Yeah, the art's grown on me a lot. Thought it was kind of ugly at first, but now I'm kind of fond. The aeroplane fin looks less out of place each time I look, and the unicyclist stands out beautifully against a very bold, very deep, gorgeous blue.

I still want them to switch cover artists sooner rather than later, but I actually think ADToE is probably Hugh Syme's strongest work with the band. Stark, bold, and very recognisable. Which I was definitely not saying at the time.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1866 on: July 26, 2011, 03:47:42 AM »
I don't hate the album art but it certainly feels lazy or like they didn't give it too much thought. Is there a possibility of them going back to it and changing something if they feel like it or is it too late because of the printing process?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1867 on: July 26, 2011, 04:02:05 AM »
It would be too late by now, I would imagine.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1868 on: July 26, 2011, 05:31:12 AM »
Augh!!
This month is practicly over, and after August, we have like 2 weeks of September. So really, it's like a month to go before we get the album. It's going to be here in no time. (even sooner if you're one of the people who will "give in to temptation" like I will, thanks to the wonders of the internet. Though still, I will be buying this album regardless.)

On principle I don't do filesharing or anything like that anyway, so I have to wait. :P

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1869 on: July 26, 2011, 05:38:52 AM »
Heh. Dreamt that a review of the new album was in a magazine I was holding. Article said it was a sloppy album, overlong instrumentals, really weak overall. Magazine had some ace pictures of space pictures though, I walked into one of the pictures and got to explore a galaxy for a bit.

DTF: Dreaming about Theaters...Fuck

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1870 on: July 26, 2011, 05:43:57 AM »
edit: nevermind
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39:57 AM »
Do you think they'll release just the vinyl version of the album in the future? I cant get the special edition ( :( ) I'd be happy with the vinyl only but I guess I'll have to get the standard edition.

There's already a vinyl version available for preorder.  From memory, the options currently are:

CD only:    ~$14
CD/DVD:    ~$16
Vinyl only:  ~$23
Box Set:   ~$106

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #1872 on: July 26, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »

There's already a vinyl version available for preorder.  From memory, the options currently are:

CD only:    ~$14
CD/DVD:    ~$16
Vinyl only:  ~$23
Box Set:   ~$106

Ah yes! Thank you

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1873 on: July 26, 2011, 07:34:28 AM »
I don't hate the album art but it certainly feels lazy or like they didn't give it too much thought. Is there a possibility of them going back to it and changing something if they feel like it or is it too late because of the printing process?

Even if it weren't too late, I don't think they'd change it just for you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1874 on: July 26, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »

Even if it weren't too late, I don't think they'd change it just for you.

Why would I even request something of such minor nature :lol
I really was wondering how close can they get to the release date before changing their mind about something like that.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ronrule

« Reply #1875 on: July 26, 2011, 12:51:32 PM »

One of the cover mockups I made.

How did you manage to guess the album title font exactly, or was that already released?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1876 on: July 26, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »
He's a priest of Imhotep. He's got the gift.

(He's also got a firstborn who lives in a dungeon designing pyramids, but mainly the gift.)

Offline darkshot

« Reply #1877 on: July 26, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »
I think he got the font and color scheme from the teaser email they sent out regarding the track listing.  It had the album title and band name cropped out from the album cover.

Offline ghostnotes

• Groove machine.
« Reply #1878 on: July 26, 2011, 01:00:47 PM »
Really wanting to lay down the clams for the box-set over here, mainly to mark the occasion of the first album post-Portnoy and show my support moving forward...hesitating based on the overall lackluster "complete album" quality since SDoIT.  Holding out for extended samples or an album stream.

Offline TL

« Reply #1879 on: July 26, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »
I think he got the font and color scheme from the teaser email they sent out regarding the track listing.  It had the album title and band name cropped out from the album cover.
Someone here had it in their sig, and when I did a mockup along the lines of the Beatles 'White Album', they asked me to do a blue one, because of that patch of the cover that had been leaked.

Rob's correct too, but it has nothing to do with making that cover.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1880 on: July 26, 2011, 01:12:54 PM »
Yeah, the art's grown on me a lot. Thought it was kind of ugly at first, but now I'm kind of fond. The aeroplane fin looks less out of place each time I look, and the unicyclist stands out beautifully against a very bold, very deep, gorgeous blue.

I still want them to switch cover artists sooner rather than later, but I actually think ADToE is probably Hugh Syme's strongest work with the band. Stark, bold, and very recognisable. Which I was definitely not saying at the time.

^^^All of this.

Offline TL

« Reply #1881 on: July 26, 2011, 01:15:11 PM »
Apparently amazon.ca is keeping their streak of being terrible for pre-orders alive. They currently have two versions of the album with no real specifics, both leaving out the "A" in the title, and one having a band promo pic instead of the cover.

Stranger/funnier though, is this item;
https://www.amazon.ca/Welcome-Reality-Dream-Theater/dp/B005974CDU/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1311706936&sr=1-2
Apparently DT have something coming out on Sep 13th called "Welcome Reality".
I mean, lacking information on an upcoming item is one thing, but making up a title that no one at any point mentioned? Just weird.

Oh Amazon, never change.  :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1882 on: July 26, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »
I'm guessing a forum theme made of the album art and colors is not gonna happen this time.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1883 on: July 26, 2011, 02:09:18 PM »
Would be nice, dark theme makes feel depressed and shit

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1884 on: July 26, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »
Actually I used to moderate on another site that used this exact same kind of forum, the stock blue theme that it had was actually pretty damn cool. Maybe it could be similar to DT's youtube channel. I think that looks pretty cool!
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1885 on: July 26, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »
We already have a blue theme.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1886 on: July 26, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »
No, I'm talking like the one on DT's youtube, channel with the clown and all. That'd be cool if the new theme was like that one.

And yeah, I just looked, we do have that blue one  :P
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1887 on: July 26, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »

True, but once ADTOE comes out, the artwork on the welcome page and top of the screen (as well as the color scheme) will not match the current album. It'd be cool to stick to tradition as there have been themes as far back as SDOIT (I believe).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1888 on: July 26, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »
It would be even cooler to just use the blue theme we have and delete all the other ones.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1889 on: July 26, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »
 :(
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen