Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484665 times)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #1820 on: July 22, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »
I hope Far From Heaven is a Hell's Kitchen type piece... that would be awesome!
Well, Hell is about as "far from heaven" as you can get, so it's possible :laugh:

:lol :lol

I quite like DT's lyrics, sure they have written some bad ones especially on the last 2 albums but there are a lot of really great ones.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1821 on: July 22, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »
Most songs by DT have awesome lyrics. No doubt about it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1822 on: July 22, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
Well, Hell is about as "far from heaven" as you can get, so it's possible :laugh:

I quite like DT's lyrics, sure they have written some bad ones especially on the last 2 albums but there are a lot of really great ones.

If I had to rank the albums by their lyrics, I'm pretty sure it'd go:

1. Awake
2. Six
3. I-s & W-s
4. F-ing into I
5. Eigthalbum
6. When D&D Unite
7. T of T
8. BC
9. S-atic C
10. Metro Number 2: Electric Boogaloo

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1823 on: July 22, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
Yeah, Awake lyrics are the best. I love that erotic, sex and death atmosphere on that album  :D

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1824 on: July 22, 2011, 09:29:32 PM »
I've never seen a ranking albums by lyrics type of list.  Here's my best shot:

Falling Into Infinity
Awake
Scenes From a Memory
Images and Words
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
When Dream and Day Unite
Systematic Chaos
Train of Thought
Octavarium
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1825 on: July 22, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »

If I had to rank the albums by their lyrics, I'm pretty sure it'd go:

1. Awake
2. Six
3. I-s & W-s
4. F-ing into I
5. Eigthalbum
6. When D&D Unite
7. T of T
8. BC
9. S-atic C
10. Metro Number 2: Electric Boogaloo

It probably would have taken you the same amount of time typing the full names as it would have typing that dash.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1826 on: July 22, 2011, 10:03:51 PM »
These titles and lengths have me so excited for september. Can't wait! :caffeine:

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1827 on: July 23, 2011, 02:00:40 AM »
Twelve and a quarter minutes of Myung lyrics in Breaking All Illusions, how sweet is that he's penned the longest track on the album?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1828 on: July 23, 2011, 02:04:45 AM »
Twelve and a quarter minutes of Myung lyrics in Breaking All Illusions, how sweet is that he's penned the longest track on the album?

Not like it's the first time, and if the previous examples of this are any indocation, it should be great.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1829 on: July 23, 2011, 05:21:13 AM »
I've never gotten the hype over LtL lyrically, I find it one of the weakest on the album. Trial of Tears however is one of my favourites lyrically.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1830 on: July 23, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »
I've never seen a ranking albums by lyrics type of list.
It's a good idea.  Start a thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10

Offline Stonestef

« Reply #1832 on: July 23, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »
An intro of one track from ADTOE has timpani.Do you think it will be something like the overture of Six Degrees?MM mentions it on this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MRVOJy2acw&feature=player_embedded#at=169

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #1833 on: July 23, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
if you think that Breaking all Illusions is so beautiful musically to bring back JM at Lyrics (or so it seem from what JLS said), just make that song a masterpiece...even without earing a signgle note,

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1834 on: July 24, 2011, 03:40:12 AM »
if you think that Breaking all Illusions is so beautiful musically to bring back JM at Lyrics (or so it seem from what JLS said), just make that song a masterpiece...even without earing a signgle note,

Who's JLS? James LaStreet? ;D Just kidding!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1835 on: July 24, 2011, 04:01:41 AM »

Who's JLS?
https://www.jlsofficial.com/

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #1836 on: July 24, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »
Oh crap!sorry I was very very drunk last night  :hat

Offline unklejman

« Reply #1837 on: July 24, 2011, 11:53:01 AM »

Even if the fact that JM was going to write lyrics before hearing the music wasn't true, then I'd still disagree. How on earth could you deem something you've never heard a masterpiece?

EDIT:
Oh crap!sorry I was very very drunk last night  :hat

Never mind, you already answered me.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1838 on: July 24, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
I'm sad... I can't make my preorder because my credit card doesn't wotk properly.... You will be excited 12th of september when You'll get digital download...and I'll be still waiting to hear it....  :-[

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1839 on: July 24, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »
Can't you just pick it up at a local CD shop on the day of its release?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1840 on: July 24, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »
I doubt that They will have it 13th Sept... I'm obsessed a little I know ;)  ::)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1841 on: July 24, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
I'm sure many stores will have it. Even Walmart had BCSL. They even carried Iced Earth for a short time. Walmart used to carry quite a few DT CDs back in the day. Go to Best Buy though. Walmart sucks. Short sentence.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1842 on: July 24, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »
We haven't got Walmart in Poland, to be honest there isn't true music store in Poland... there are many music stores on the net where probably preorder will be available soon...hope so ;)

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #1843 on: July 25, 2011, 05:04:39 AM »
We haven't got Walmart in Poland, to be honest there isn't true music store in Poland... there are many music stores on the net where probably preorder will be available soon...hope so ;)

Didn't BC&SL reach number 4 in the Polish chart? I'd imagine with such good history in the chart they'd have it available in the first day.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1844 on: July 25, 2011, 05:53:49 AM »
I think you're, and I mentioned this way back when Systematic Chaos was released, and I'm sure on average DT lyrics are better than from other groups, particularly popular groups. However I think we probably hold them to a higher standard and so we want them to be able to do better than X song.

I always find thiis expectation to be a bit much though. The amount of time they all spent honing their craft and in later years the touring/recording cycle will have left little time to devote to reading and improving as writers. They are musicians, not poets, and the two are rarely found together.
I would imagine that when they were younger the school years were fresh and they may have studied literature etc, and that was when the lyrics were "better". As the years go  by the discipline fades. I used to be a good writer in my younger days but it's gone with lack of practice and regular exposure to how it should be done.

There aren't many bands I listen to where  I would class the lyrics as great- Rush, Fish-era Marillion- I'm struggling for more. It's not important to me. It's all about the music and the melody.

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #1845 on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:15 AM »
I think you're, and I mentioned this way back when Systematic Chaos was released, and I'm sure on average DT lyrics are better than from other groups, particularly popular groups. However I think we probably hold them to a higher standard and so we want them to be able to do better than X song.

I would imagine that when they were younger the school years were fresh and they may have studied literature etc, and that was when the lyrics were "better". As the years go  by the discipline fades. I used to be a good writer in my younger days but it's gone with lack of practice and regular exposure to how it should be done.

Interesting view. I agree.

There aren't many bands I listen to where  I would class the lyrics as great- Rush, Fish-era Marillion- I'm struggling for more. It's not important to me.

There are some popular bands out there that write great lyrics, examples are Muse and Coldplay.

I think DT are great at creating music as opposed to song writing. They write great musical compositions, but later struggle to fit lyrics within them, which ends up with something like TCOT (among others). However, there are many artists out there that take song writing (lyrics and music) as a whole and the result is a cohesive piece that deliver the emotion of the song both musically and lyrically.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1846 on: July 25, 2011, 08:08:23 AM »

I always find thiis expectation to be a bit much though. The amount of time they all spent honing their craft and in later years the touring/recording cycle will have left little time to devote to reading and improving as writers. They are musicians, not poets, and the two are rarely found together.
I would imagine that when they were younger the school years were fresh and they may have studied literature etc, and that was when the lyrics were "better". As the years go  by the discipline fades. I used to be a good writer in my younger days but it's gone with lack of practice and regular exposure to how it should be done.

There aren't many bands I listen to where  I would class the lyrics as great- Rush, Fish-era Marillion- I'm struggling for more. It's not important to me. It's all about the music and the melody.

Actually I would say the opposite in the sense that since they've been in the business for so long, shouldn't their craft be getting better rather than worse?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.
« Reply #1847 on: July 25, 2011, 08:29:34 AM »

I bought my BC&SL CD the day it was released in a local store. You probably won't have any trouble finding it, just go to Empik or similiar shop :)

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1848 on: July 25, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »
6. When D&D Unite
When Dungeons and Dragons Unite :-D

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1849 on: July 25, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »

I bought my BC&SL CD the day it was released in a local store. You probably won't have any trouble finding it, just go to Empik or similiar shop :)
Yeah I know that :) but You know...I want it, now ;) even if it is only preorder :) and I want boxset ;) it probably will be available on rockserwis.pl, just like was when Systematic Chaos were about to be released. It appered something about 3 weeks before release ;)

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1850 on: July 25, 2011, 02:26:35 PM »
Oh, look what JR just twitted!!
He have know more of new artwork :) Nice boxset  :D

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/dreamtheaterdeluxe/

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #1851 on: July 25, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
i was about to post that,

interesting.. a frog, a cricket, i think i can see a fish..

the tire and the bridge are easier to reference from the cover and the songs titles..

the other disc i can't guess what it is.

Offline TL

« Reply #1852 on: July 25, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »
I like what I'm assuming is the box lid on the top left of that picture. It reminds me of one of the designs tossed around in the album cover speculation thread before they released the cover;

The box set.

One of the cover mockups I made.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1853 on: July 25, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »
You guys remember about 2 months ago when Roadrunner posted that they had just met with JR and he had some really
cool ideas that they were going to incorporate...we never really heard exactly what that was about. I wonder if it had
something to do with this box set.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1854 on: July 25, 2011, 05:31:14 PM »
I like what I'm assuming is the box lid on the top left of that picture. It reminds me of one of the designs tossed around in the album cover speculation thread before they released the cover;

The box set.

One of the cover mockups I made.

Your's looks much better imo. And the whole box should be blue, what's with the amateur looking black border.

I sincerely hope this is Syme's last cover art for DT.