Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484559 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #1330 on: June 29, 2011, 11:10:46 AM »
i believe we are in for a total treat with this album. DT arent the band to put their best songs out first, so i expect a quality album after hearing OTBOA

I would say so.  Even though by and large BC&SL was more of the same, AROP was not a good indicator of how amazing most of the other tracks would be.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: June 29, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »
Having now heard OtBoA, I'm really hoping there is, indeed, an instrumental on this album.  Considering the only weak part (in my opinion) of that song is the somewhat bland vocals, I'm eager to hear an instrumental of the same quality music.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1332 on: June 29, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
I assume the least interesting song on this album will be "This is the Life."  Lyrics by Jordan Rudess.  yes I said it.

"This is the Liiiiiiiife!"

"On The Roooooooad!"

:lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: June 29, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
i believe we are in for a total treat with this album. DT arent the band to put their best songs out first, so i expect a quality album after hearing OTBOA

Very good point. If this song is the "A Rite of Passage" of the album then I would imagine that the other eight songs will be considerably better.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1334 on: June 29, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »

Very good point. If this song is the "A Rite of Passage" of the album then I would imagine that the other eight songs will be considerably better.

Or the "As I Am" of the album, as that one also opened its respective album, as well as being the lead-off single

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1335 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:52 AM »
I can't hear this until I get home (assuming I can't wait until 9/13) but if it's true that MM's performance is underwhelming I'll be very disappointed. The first track of the album NEEDED to have jaw-dropping drum parts.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1336 on: June 29, 2011, 12:23:58 PM »
I can't hear this until I get home (assuming I can't wait until 9/13) but if it's true that MM's performance is underwhelming I'll be very disappointed. The first track of the album NEEDED to have jaw-dropping drum parts.

It's not underwhelming, it's completely fine.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1337 on: June 29, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »
i would say MM's drumming on this (OTBOA) is adequate

he isnt going all out, he's just playing along. not bad at all though

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1338 on: June 29, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »

That's fine, but I want to be blown away by MM so I won't miss MP.

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1339 on: June 29, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »

The song is better than any single they've released in the past 6 years, go along with that
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Kosmo

« Reply #1340 on: June 29, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Yuppers.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1341 on: June 29, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
everyone listen to the drumming at 2:10 - 2:30

once people see him doing that live and not hearing it from a youtube mix, they will like mangini's drumming on it alot more

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1342 on: June 29, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »

I know what you mean a bit.  I shouldn't be hearing this wondering what would happen if MP were playing the drums.  I miss some of the ridiculous fills already.  And the less drum driven structure feels weird.

There's other parts of the drumming though that I know MP never would have done that are really cool to me.  It just seems, at the moment, that Mangini in DT is a bit of a work in progress, which is semi-disappointing.  I wish he was more balls-out on this song.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: June 29, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
I totally disagree, Reap. After a couple close listens, I think the drums on this are easily more interesting that anything Portnoy has done on any of his projects in recent years.

once people see him doing that live and not hearing it from a youtube mix, they will like mangini's drumming on it alot more

Likewise, those really fast one-handed cymbal hits at 3:27-ish?

Yeah, I doubt Portnoy can do that.

The drumming on this song is so good. Mangini's cymbal action, so far, is such a noticeable improvement over Portnoy's. During the chorus, like 5:25-50 for example, Mangini's playing a bunch of different cymbals and it sounds awesome. Then, after that over Jordan's clean piano solo, he's doing a high hat but he's letting it open and close and doing some other things and also hitting other cymbals, all while keeping the beat interesting with the kick patterns. Only during Petrucci's solo does he switch his cymbal playing to just playing in 4/4, which is fine because John is supposed to take the spotlight there anyway.

Going by Portnoy's performances on the last couple albums, I'd imagine he'd play the entire part I'm talking about above by simply hitting the high-hat as if it were a metronome. Sure, there would have been some tastey fills. But with Portnoy recently, it seemed he'd be doing something really basic, or he'd be doing a cool fill but the cymbal playing wouldn't be that great. Likewise, maybe the cymbal playing would be good but the beat would be nothing special. Mangini can do it all at once. I've got a feeling we're gonna notice how much of a better player he is when the new record comes out  :biggrin:  

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1344 on: June 29, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
I totally disagree, Reap. After a couple close listens, I think the drums on this are easily more interesting that anything Portnoy has done on any of his projects in recent years.

Likewise, those really fast one-handed cymbal hits at 3:27-ish?

Yeah, I doubt Portnoy can do that.

The drumming on this song is so good. Mangini's cymbal action, so far, is such a noticeable improvement over Portnoy's. During the chorus, like 5:25-50 for example, Mangini's playing a bunch of different cymbals and it sounds awesome. Then, after that over Jordan's clean piano solo, he's doing a high hat but he's letting it open and close and doing some other things and also hitting other cymbals, all while keeping the beat interesting with the kick patterns. Only during Petrucci's solo does he switch his cymbal playing to just playing in 4/4, which is fine because John is supposed to take the spotlight there anyway.

Going by Portnoy's performances on the last couple albums, I'd imagine he'd play the entire part I'm talking about above by simply hitting the high-hat as if it were a metronome. Sure, there would have been some tastey fills. But with Portnoy recently, it seemed he'd be doing something really basic, or he'd be doing a cool fill but the cymbal playing wouldn't be that great. Likewise, maybe the cymbal playing would be good but the beat would be nothing special. Mangini can do it all at once. I've got a feeling we're gonna notice how much of a better player he is when the new record comes out  :biggrin:  

You did a nice in-depth analysis there, but all I want to state is that MP's main area of dominance was in creating ultra-cool beats (both in straight time and odd time), not fills or polyrhythms or uber-techy stuff. So if I hear a plethora of KOOL beats I'll be fine.

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1345 on: June 29, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
I just listened through the song, with special attention on the drums and it was an incredibly rewarding experience. I think the way the drums are mixed, is to compliment the music rather than to outshine other instruments (that has happened before in DT). There are some insane drum patters in here.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1346 on: June 29, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »
I don't know why there is a debate on who is the better drummer.  It doesn't matter.  All that matters is the kickass music and this song definetley delivers

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1347 on: June 29, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »
I just listened through the song, with special attention on the drums and it was an incredibly rewarding experience. I think the way the drums are mixed, is to compliment the music rather than to outshine other instruments (that has happened before in DT). There are some insane drum patters in here.

Maybe, but I never complain, and I think the mix is not that good. I like the song though.

Drums are way too low and the both the guitar and drums sound muddy in many parts.

Listening to Wither right now, and the mix is awesome.

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1348 on: June 29, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »

Maybe, but I never complain, and I think the mix is not that good. I like the song though.

Drums are way too low and the both the guitar and drums sound muddy in many parts.

Well, I just listened to some BC&SL tunes from youtube and middle frequencies sound muddy as well. Coincidence?

Do not talk about how an album was mastered or mixed with a youtube mp3 as reference. I'm not referring to you in particular, but everyone who's talking about the mix. You will be able to tell me "lol no u were wrong, the mix sucks!" when the album gets released and we have a proper listen. But hey, not yet.  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1349 on: June 29, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »

Well, I just listened to some BC&SL tunes from youtube and middle frequencies sound muddy as well. Coincidence?

Do not talk about how an album was mastered or mixed with a youtube mp3 as reference. I'm not referring to you in particular, but everyone who's talking about the mix. You will be able to tell me "lol no u were wrong, the mix sucks!" when the album gets released and we have a proper listen. But hey, not yet.  :D

I was comparing the songs on youtube, but your right hopefully the album will be a better mix.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1350 on: June 29, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
BUILD ME UP, BREAK ME DOWN
I'M ON A TIGHTROPE LIKE A CLOWN
UNICYCLING INTO INFINITY
CUT THE ROPE AND LET ME
FALL FROM GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: June 29, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »
I love you, Zook.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: June 29, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »
Wait wait wait till you hear the rest of the DT album... oh my... but please enjoy On the Backs of Angels as it was my 1st recorded song and I can't wait until you hear it in person! There aren't enough hours in the day for me before leaving for Rome. I'm learning a HUGE DT epic (last min. add) to throw in this tour :) ahhhhh!!!

From Mike Mangini!!
Huge DT epic.... ACOS?!?!?!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1353 on: June 29, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
like like like!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1354 on: June 29, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »
God, I love Mangini.  He's just so enthusiastic about everything, it gets me excited just witnessing his excitement.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1355 on: June 29, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
Wait wait wait till you hear the rest of the DT album... oh my... but please enjoy On the Backs of Angels as it was my 1st recorded song and I can't wait until you hear it in person! There aren't enough hours in the day for me before leaving for Rome. I'm learning a HUGE DT epic (last min. add) to throw in this tour :) ahhhhh!!!

From Mike Mangini!!

ACOS. its gotta beeee

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1356 on: June 29, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
OH-SHI
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1357 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09:56 PM »
I would love to see Mangini pull out a pipe and put it in his mouth during TCOT live.

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1358 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:39 PM »
lol it has more views than the Korn video
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #1359 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:52 PM »

From Mike Mangini!!

ACOS. its gotta beeee

i dunno thats kinda Portnoys personal song it might bother a few fans. Im guessing Octavarium, its a better song anyways
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1360 on: June 29, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »
It's because the DT fanbase is fucking insane.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #1361 on: June 29, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
There is soooooo much to digest in this 8:46. It's jam-packed with gooey goodness! DT is better than ever!

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1362 on: June 29, 2011, 09:48:20 PM »
Learning To Live *Crosses Fingers*

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1363 on: June 29, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »

From Mike Mangini!!

ACOS. its gotta beeee

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Kosmo

« Reply #1364 on: June 30, 2011, 03:34:11 AM »
Is it really a surprise? I'm more surprised about the fact that Korn still exists, I haven't heard about them in ages.