Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484609 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #980 on: June 20, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
You guys will talk about literally anything if it gets brought up.

I think that Chipotle is a boring restaurant with fairly tasteless burritos. Seriously, there's like no flavor.

It's you, Aniland, who writes that? :rollin

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #981 on: June 20, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
I agree with MP about the serenity prayer...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #982 on: June 20, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »

I think that Chipotle is a boring restaurant with fairly tasteless burritos. Seriously, there's like no flavor.

Aniland, stop trolling threads.  Consider this your warning.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #983 on: June 20, 2011, 01:06:22 PM »

:facepalm:

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #984 on: June 20, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »

Indeed and I do agree with the Chipotle comment.  :lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Aniland

« Reply #985 on: June 20, 2011, 04:54:40 PM »

Aniland, stop trolling threads.  Consider this your warning.

Not to be flippant, but I'm not doing that here (nor have I in quite a while). Just think it's funny that the thread went from PoW to MP leaving.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #986 on: June 20, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »
Probably because that's what happens when his fans are ignorant and assume whatever they want. He is happy, he just wanted to make the message as bold and clear as possible so people will stop making accusations about him.

Eh....  I'm not saying he should be all sunshine and rainbows about it, but MP still seems extremely angry/sad/frustrated/distraught about what happened.  He can say he's over it/happy/etc., but his actions at least tell me something completely different.

Why even reply to those comments on Facebook.  Why would he care?

I thought it was interesting he wrote "...for the sake of not losing my own band."  He still thinks of DT as his band.  I also kinda think he feels more personally betrayed by this then he's letting on (which doesn't seem possible, I know).  Like, if the level of bitterness we're seeing is him trying to restrain himself, then what else is stored away in there that we're not seeing.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #987 on: June 20, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »
I don't think Portnoy has handled any of this well, but I'm still going to feel so sorry for him if the new DT album is received really well.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #988 on: June 20, 2011, 07:11:37 PM »
I don't think Portnoy has handled any of this well, but I'm still going to feel so sorry for him if the new DT album is received really well.

I'll feel bad for him.  But sorry for him?  Not really.  If MP's still co-producer of DT11, do any of the following things happen?:

- MP going to JM and saying "Look, I'm sorry about the lyric rule.  It was a dick move.  I want you to feel like we see your lyrics as a positive to the band and not an imposition."
 - MP letting JLB record the vocals in Canada with Richard Chycki.
 - MP saying to the band members "Hey, we should be less of an LTE style jam band and try writing our material with a stronger sense of introspection and personal depth."
 - MP deciding to rededicate himself to the art and craft of drumming to move his playing up a level in technical and creative progression.
 - Andy Wallace mixing the album.

I guess over time I'm having a harder time accepting MP's complaints of the band getting stale when he seems to have been the primary cause of that staleness.  Obviously, if the music sucks all of this will be moot, but surely everyone has noticed how DT's turned into almost a new band.  The potential in the other four guys for the change MP wanted was clearly in them.  So why didn't he do what a leader is supposed to do and bring it out of them instead of suggesting they go on a hiatus?  In what he considered the band's most dire moment he wanted to run away and hope it would sort itself out?  Bullshit, that's like the opposite of leadership.
Over and over again

Offline wammabe

« Reply #989 on: June 20, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »
It's as if Mike Portnoy farted and fans started laughing. He started bringing the topic up again and again and because of that, fans keep on laughing. Just when we were about to forget about the farts, he farted in secret and publicly announced it.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #990 on: June 20, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »
LOL

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #991 on: June 20, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
I thought it was interesting he wrote "...for the sake of not losing my own band."  He still thinks of DT as his band.  I also kinda think he feels more personally betrayed by this then he's letting on (which doesn't seem possible, I know).  Like, if the level of bitterness we're seeing is him trying to restrain himself, then what else is stored away in there that we're not seeing.

This rings true to me.  MP has truely seemed more bitter about this situation than the others.  Even these most recent comments reveal that he felt personal betrayal over this situation, instead of a professional disagreement over the direction of the band.  I wish him luck with his current projects, hopefully he can find a group to play with for a long time to come, I'm not sure if Adrenaline Mob will be that group or not.  

In general though, I will follow MP, but DT is the focus for me and when he announced his leaving I was far more concerned about whether DT continued that if MP did...

(Oh and Chipotle rocks, Aniland once again proves his ignorance  :loser:)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #992 on: June 20, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
If MP's still co-producer of DT11, do any of the following things happen?

Reap', what do any of the things you posted have to do with Mike Portnoy leaving Dream Theater?

- MP going to JM and saying "Look, I'm sorry about the lyric rule.  It was a dick move.  I want you to feel like we see your lyrics as a positive to the band and not an imposition."

1.  Who says anyone in the band felt it was a dick move?  And besides that, JP has NOT gone to JM and said any of the above, so why are you even making such a scenario up to begin with?

1.  How do we know he wouldn't have?  2.  How do we know James would have wanted to?  3.  How do we know whether or not this is a good thing since we haven't even heard a single note of James' singing yet?  4. Perhaps most importantly, since there was no problem with James' album performances in past anyway, why does it even matter?

- MP saying to the band members "Hey, we should be less of an LTE style jam band and try writing our material with a stronger sense of introspection and personal depth."

Wait...what?  ???  I don't get this.  1.  They aren't an LTE style jam band.  2.  I'm not aware of this fictional conversation happening since MP left.

- MP deciding to rededicate himself to the art and craft of drumming to move his playing up a level in technical and creative progression.

Wait...so...you're saying that MP has somehow "rededicated himself" (whatever that means) after leaving DT, and this is something different and beneficial?  Kinda similar to the last point.  I think you're just making things up now.

No idea.  But why not?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #993 on: June 20, 2011, 07:26:45 PM »
While I know it's impossible to say whether or not Reap's points are correct if MP was still in the band I could very well see a business as usual approach instead of some of the steps they've been taking.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #994 on: June 20, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »
Certainly when you after more than 20 years together choose to have your lawyer do the communications with the other part.
JP feels "heartbroken", bullshit (?)
I don't think using lawyers was in an ill-favored manner. If your the guys of DT, you're dealing with a huge franchise, and there's so much that could go wrong if things go badly. I'd assume using lawyers was to provide a completely profesional atmosphere, so that nothing could go wrong. And I'm sure there's other legal things involved that I'm unaware of, but I'm sure a 20 year band, that has made near millions in their career, can't simply deal with a situation like MP without there being legal aspects involved.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #995 on: June 20, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »
If MP's still co-producer of DT11, do any of the following things happen?

Reap', what do any of the things you posted have to do with Mike Portnoy leaving Dream Theater?

Everything.  MP's leaving Dream Theater was the catalyst of a series of events that fundamentally altered how the band works.  What I'm saying is that if MP didn't leave the band, the process behind ADTOE never would have occurred.

- MP going to JM and saying "Look, I'm sorry about the lyric rule.  It was a dick move.  I want you to feel like we see your lyrics as a positive to the band and not an imposition."

1.  Who says anyone in the band felt it was a dick move?  And besides that, JP has NOT gone to JM and said any of the above, so why are you even making such a scenario up to begin with?

I threw that scenario out there because I doubt JM would have ever written lyrics for DT again with MP in the band unless something like that happened.

1.  How do we know he wouldn't have?  2.  How do we know James would have wanted to?  3.  How do we know whether or not this is a good thing since we haven't even heard a single note of James' singing yet?  4. Perhaps most importantly, since there was no problem with James' album performances in past anyway, why does it even matter?

1.  Knowing MP's personality, I'd say there's a zero percent chance it would have ever happened.
2.  Completely fair thing to say.  But I'd have the feeling he wouldn't have wanted to/thought of it because he didn't see a point in trying something new out of malaise, rather than a 100% satisfaction with the previous process.  Otherwise, why would he have wanted to change it?
3.  Also fair.  But I've found the way JLB performs on his most recent solo albums (especially EoP) to be more satisfying than his performances with Dream Theater.  More loose, exuberant, and genuine.
4.  Why would you say there was no problem?  All music listening is subjective, and many people other than myself have wished JLB's performances with DT would be better.  Plus, even if you're saying there's no way for JLB's performance on ADTOE to be better than his previous few (which I find dubious, but okay), you don't think the character of the performance will be different due to the process that went into creating it?

Wait...what?  ???  I don't get this.  1.  They aren't an LTE style jam band.  2.  I'm not aware of this fictional conversation happening since MP left.

1. It seems to me that, especially on SC and BCSL, they became more like LTE.  The band members even said in interviews that the songs ballooned in length due to accommodating everyone's ideas, which to me is what seems to happen when you focus more on writing in the room as opposed to really sitting down and hashing ideas out (I saw this happen with a friend's band).  On both the CiP video and JR's BCSL making of videos, the mood of the band as they were writing the album felt really... casual, as opposed to what seemed to be a more serious vibe during the ATDOE sessions.

2.  Not this exact conversation, but look at the bandmember's statements.  I think Rudess in particular was the one who said the writing sessions were quieter and they were trying to dig especially deep into themselves on this album.  Those words weren't exchanged necessarily, but they reflect what happened.

Wait...so...you're saying that MP has somehow "rededicated himself" (whatever that means) after leaving DT, and this is something different and beneficial?  Kinda similar to the last point.  I think you're just making things up now.

This was a little unclear.  What I meant is that Mangini constantly practices and is using DT as an opportunity to find a new lease on life creatively.  MP openly admits he doesn't practice, and creatively he's brought very little new spark to DT in a while.  From what I understand, he even said in an interview that he believed his drumming suffered because of the work he put into producing

No idea.  But why not?

It could happen, but I find it far less likely.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:47:09 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline Aniland

« Reply #996 on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »

This rings true to me.  MP has truely seemed more bitter about this situation than the others.  Even these most recent comments reveal that he felt personal betrayal over this situation, instead of a professional disagreement over the direction of the band.  I wish him luck with his current projects, hopefully he can find a group to play with for a long time to come, I'm not sure if Adrenaline Mob will be that group or not.  

In general though, I will follow MP, but DT is the focus for me and when he announced his leaving I was far more concerned about whether DT continued that if MP did...

I'm concerned because of a lyric in Adrenaline Mob about how "I'm far better off than I ever was with you." Uh oh, Mike, you didn't...

I'm not allowed to like Chipotle; best friend works at Moe's.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #997 on: June 21, 2011, 02:51:49 AM »
since this thread is going of topic...i thought i would do one as well...

I see mike has got 2 facebook pages.....
where 1 is where we are all at, the musician page ...an than there's the personal one saying this:

This is Mike Portnoy's PERSONAL Facebook page...I've decided to keep it just for legitimate friends & family...
If you are a fan, please come hang out at my official Fan Page:
facebook.com/mikeportnoyofficial

but if you use it for friends and family..dont you think they all would know his BIO?
the page continues on his life story.....

anyway...
i didn't see MP spilling his guts on FB and if he did, good for him, he's a human being as well and he also has a breaking point.
probably reading all the dick posts on blabbermouth, on his forum, well maybe he even checked his status on this forum?
he had a .....ok this is it moment and wanted to just say fuck you to everbody who called him a an ass since his departure...
and that's nothing less than mral. he doesn't have to be arodemodel for me... he just have to tell it like it is...
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline robwebster

« Reply #998 on: June 21, 2011, 03:30:35 AM »

I'll feel bad for him.  But sorry for him?  Not really.  If MP's still co-producer of DT11, do any of the following things happen?:

- MP going to JM and saying "Look, I'm sorry about the lyric rule.  It was a dick move.  I want you to feel like we see your lyrics as a positive to the band and not an imposition."

I guess over time I'm having a harder time accepting MP's complaints of the band getting stale when he seems to have been the primary cause of that staleness.  Obviously, if the music sucks all of this will be moot, but surely everyone has noticed how DT's turned into almost a new band.  The potential in the other four guys for the change MP wanted was clearly in them.  So why didn't he do what a leader is supposed to do and bring it out of them instead of suggesting they go on a hiatus?  In what he considered the band's most dire moment he wanted to run away and hope it would sort itself out?  Bullshit, that's like the opposite of leadership.
On top of that, I get the impression... well, this is pure conjecture, but we all know that Mike Portnoy isn't the kind of person to do things by halves. To quote the Chaos in Motion doc, he'll want the rock turned up to 10, and the suck and gay turned all the way down to 0. And that was kind of borne out in everything he did in the producer's seat:

The poppy songs were super-poppy (OVM), the creepy songs incredibly creepy, the Musey songs very Musey, the gorgeous bits absolutely sodden with emotion - and given that he had the director's role on the last four albums, I can't help but think a lot of that was down to him. No bad thing of course, he was always pushing the envelope out, and I respect that. We wouldn't have got The Dark Eternal Night if he wasn't sat at the sidelines challenging them to be heavier, louder, etc. (Not that everyone would miss it, but I think it's great, myself.) Point is, he's a very boisterous and exuberant bloke, so I can't help but wonder if we might start to see more of the grey areas again now that he's gone.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #999 on: June 21, 2011, 04:50:27 AM »
“In a way, Mike leaving really did show us that there is another side to Dream Theater that maybe we never would have discovered if something like this hadn’t gone down. It’s really opened up a whole new avenue, with us realizing some of our wants and needs and having some of out opinions being fulfilled. If this hadn’t happened we wouldn’t have known all this potential is here.”  - JLB

https://www.bravewords.com/news/163672
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1000 on: June 21, 2011, 05:11:36 AM »
“In a way, Mike leaving really did show us that there is another side to Dream Theater that maybe we never would have discovered if something like this hadn’t gone down. It’s really opened up a whole new avenue, with us realizing some of our wants and needs and having some of out opinions being fulfilled. If this hadn’t happened we wouldn’t have known all this potential is here.”  - JLB

Oh, well thank you for rendering my big long post obsolete.

...I can't help but wonder if we might start to see more of the grey areas again now that he's gone.

When you put it that way, I have to say I'm on board with your theory, which suits me just fine.
Over and over again

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1001 on: June 21, 2011, 05:20:39 AM »
Drea
...I can't help but wonder if we might start to see more of the grey areas again now that he's gone.

When you put it that way, I have to say I'm on board with your theory, which suits me just fine.
Aye - I've always said that the big and bolshy sound has been DT playing to their strengths and they're stronger when they do it, but I think that now DT's a different entity, their strengths may well have shifted. And I'm really digging the prospect of the grey stuff.

That said, I do think that right now, Mike Portnoy's departure is a bit of a fan inkblot test.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1002 on: June 21, 2011, 05:26:28 AM »

I'm concerned because of a lyric in Adrenaline Mob about how "I'm far better off than I ever was with you." Uh oh, Mike, you didn't...

I'm not allowed to like Chipotle; best friend works at Moe's.

Now this I gotta hear.  Which song?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlackwaterPerk

« Reply #1003 on: June 21, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »

Very interesting to read  :yarr

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1004 on: June 21, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »
I think it's about time DT releases a trailer for ADTOE

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #1005 on: June 21, 2011, 01:56:19 PM »

Very interesting to read  :yarr
Indeed.

I really liked what JLB had to say in this interview, it really excites me for the new album.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1006 on: June 21, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
Why even reply to those comments on Facebook.  Why would he care?

I thought it was interesting he wrote "...for the sake of not losing my own band."  He still thinks of DT as his band.  I also kinda think he feels more personally betrayed by this then he's letting on (which doesn't seem possible, I know).  Like, if the level of bitterness we're seeing is him trying to restrain himself, then what else is stored away in there that we're not seeing.
I think he's tired of people making false accusations about him, and he was just defending himself. A perfectly valid attitude IMO.

I thought it was interesting he wrote "...for the sake of not losing my own band."  He still thinks of DT as his band.
 What I understand is that at that moment, when he felt he had a fair chance to rejoin, he still thought DT was his band.

I threw that scenario out there because I doubt JM would have ever written lyrics for DT again with MP in the band unless something like that happened.

Wow, do people still write $#¡t stuff like this? Amazing. You seem to forget that Myung said he would write lyrics again in October 2009, almost 1 year before Mike left. I'm not an MP fanboy,and don't take this personal (you just gave me a perfect example) it's just that I can't stand people disregarding facts and making things up just to speak bullshit about cool guys like MP. And I think it's poeple with attitudes like yours, who for some reason seem to have a personal animosity against someone the've never met who make him write his FB posts.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:25:35 PM by reneranucci »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1007 on: June 21, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »
I think he's tired of people making false accusations about him, and he was just defending himself. A perfectly valid attitude IMO.

But why is he defending himself if the information is already out there? The frequency at which he has to explain himself is akin to that of that one person who out loud goes "well I didn't want to say this but..." at meetings and the like. Who knows if there even was any real provocations but every time things seem to die down to some level of apathy another new quote like this comes across and MP's choice of words, as emotionally driven as they are, almost always cast him in a negative light. He's becoming his own worst enemy. And based on the DT side of the story I don't see where there are any false accusations.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1008 on: June 21, 2011, 06:47:44 PM »
EDIT:  Personal attacks on anyone on this forum, but especially the mod staff, will not be tolerated.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:53:28 PM by bosk1 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1009 on: June 21, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
EDIT:  Personal attacks on anyone on this forum, but especially the mod staff, will not be tolerated.

Yes, I'm an ass.  And you're now banned.  See you later.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1010 on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »

But why is he defending himself if the information is already out there? The frequency at which he has to explain himself is akin to that of that one person who out loud goes "well I didn't want to say this but..." at meetings and the like. Who knows if there even was any real provocations but every time things seem to die down to some level of apathy another new quote like this comes across and MP's choice of words, as emotionally driven as they are, almost always cast him in a negative light. He's becoming his own worst enemy. And based on the DT side of the story I don't see where there are any false accusations.
Well, I see how someone could see it the way you do, it's a perfectly valid position. It's just that I feel many people don't like him and make up some stuff just to put him in a negative light while saying they don't really mean to hurt him. Just read this forum and you'll find lots of posts like "I can't prove it, but I'm sure Mike told Eddie who the new drummer is..." or "I have no evidence of this, but I can see Mike shutting down JM and not giving him any space, he was guilty of James not feeling well in the band", or "I don't really know him but it wouldn't surprise me if MP wanted DT to fail to prove he's right",or "I like Mike but it was his fault that DT's music grew stale", etc., basically blaming him for everything they think DT did wrong; and those come out as low blows and cheap shots IMO. I admit he might be only making the situation worse, but if I was him I would be tired of all that crap, too.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: June 21, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »
Totally agree.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1012 on: June 21, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »

*that scene from Ace Ventura 2 after Ace leaves the Monks' Palace*

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #1013 on: June 22, 2011, 01:20:04 AM »

What did he say?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1014 on: June 22, 2011, 02:45:09 AM »

Well, I see how someone could see it the way you do, it's a perfectly valid position. It's just that I feel many people don't like him and make up some stuff just to put him in a negative light while saying they don't really mean to hurt him. Just read this forum and you'll find lots of posts like "I can't prove it, but I'm sure Mike told Eddie who the new drummer is..." or "I have no evidence of this, but I can see Mike shutting down JM and not giving him any space, he was guilty of James not feeling well in the band", or "I don't really know him but it wouldn't surprise me if MP wanted DT to fail to prove he's right",or "I like Mike but it was his fault that DT's music grew stale", etc., basically blaming him for everything they think DT did wrong; and those come out as low blows and cheap shots IMO. I admit he might be only making the situation worse, but if I was him I would be tired of all that crap, too.
In fairness, while you're right inasmuch as the amount of speculation is ridiculous, and MP is being made a pariah for countless things that there's no evidence he was involved in... I think there's probably an element of truth to "it was his fault that DT's music grew stale." When Mike was the band leader, although he did eventually recognise the need to make a change, he obstinately refused to change anything about the way they worked. JM suggested jamming like when they were kids and he shot it down, he refused to work with a producer (not changed, but JP was at least open to it), he insisted on keeping the writing room mentality rather than letting demos through the net, he'd work with the same people each time... he wasn't particularly doing much to get the band doing anything new.

JLB sort of backs this up, too...

“In a way, Mike leaving really did show us that there is another side to Dream Theater that maybe we never would have discovered if something like this hadn’t gone down. It’s really opened up a whole new avenue, with us realizing some of our wants and needs and having some of our opinions being fulfilled. If this hadn’t happened we wouldn’t have known all this potential is here.”

I agree about errant speculation, but at the same time, I think the more substantiated evaluations are kind of fair game.

Not that I think DT's music had much chance to go stale, anyway, but over the last three albums we were starting to see patterns emerge. BCSL didn't have much new to say, and I was hoping against hope about a year ago that they'd do something to change it up - so while he was the showrunner for my favourite era of my favourite band ever, I can't say I'm particularly sad MP's gone. He left at the right time. Let Petrucci have a go now.