Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484573 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #945 on: June 19, 2011, 08:08:28 PM »
I saw PoW's first live rendition, so take that.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #946 on: June 20, 2011, 01:22:28 AM »
I saw PoW's first live rendition, so take that.

How was it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #947 on: June 20, 2011, 02:35:47 AM »
I saw it live when they played it in Minneapolis. It's actually amazing live and it's a real crowd driven song, obviously because of the chants. I loved how JR's keyboard solo segued into PoW
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #948 on: June 20, 2011, 02:44:29 AM »
I saw it live when they played it in Minneapolis. It's actually amazing live and it's a real crowd driven song, obviously because of the chants. I loved how JR's keyboard solo segued into PoW

I love how JR always refuses to look at the keyoboard while playing the intro riff of PoW. It's like he's saying: "I don't even need to look at this shit"  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline weirdo

« Reply #949 on: June 20, 2011, 04:20:37 AM »
I, unlike many others, like the newer albums (since 6DoIT and ToT) more than the older ones. But still they all are amazing. Idk I might be overoptimistic, but I think there is really no DT song that I don’t like :/ (or at least VERY few). They are all good in their own way. Maybe I should learn to be more critical idk :P.

However I have listened DT for only a couple of years so I respect the opinions of those who have followed the progress of the band a bit longer than I have :).

Anyway…. Im not very conservative when it comes to DT music. The main reason why I fell in love with DT music is that I thought (and still think) that their music is so varying, unpredictable and fun to listen to and they are not afraid to try something new. So my point is: for me, the more surprising, original and unpredictable the new album is, the better. And Im sure I wont be disappointed ^^

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #950 on: June 20, 2011, 04:45:41 AM »
I, unlike many others, like the newer albums (since 6DoIT and ToT) more than the older ones. But still they all are amazing. Idk I might be overoptimistic, but I think there is really no DT song that I don’t like :/ (or at least VERY few). They are all good in their own way. Maybe I should learn to be more critical idk :P.

However I have listened DT for only a couple of years so I respect the opinions of those who have followed the progress of the band a bit longer than I have :).

Anyway…. Im not very conservative when it comes to DT music. The main reason why I fell in love with DT music is that I thought (and still think) that their music is so varying, unpredictable and fun to listen to and they are not afraid to try something new. So my point is: for me, the more surprising, original and unpredictable the new album is, the better. And Im sure I wont be disappointed ^^

I actually really like this opinion. Although there are some dt songs I may slightly prefer over others, I have liked each song a lot at one point or another while listening to the band. Even Prophets of War(it was actually my favorite song when the album first came out for some reason.)

Also, all this news about John Myung and James' vocals is very cool. Although, what really has me excited about this album is the song titles for some reason. I just like how they seem like they are going to contain lyrics open to interpretation, which were in my opinion, were always the best ones - especially for a long-term analysis of the album

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #951 on: June 20, 2011, 04:47:18 AM »
I'm glad that every single person who likes that abysmal song has posted in this thread, but let's try to steer the thread back on topic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #952 on: June 20, 2011, 05:21:54 AM »
Not if you keep manipulating the grounds of Internets into thinking that all other people hate PoW. What a great song! And yeah, it would have been a cool single.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #953 on: June 20, 2011, 05:26:46 AM »
yeah c'mon whats with the hate? Song is cool as hell.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #954 on: June 20, 2011, 06:18:46 AM »
opinions opinions

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: June 20, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »
Quote from: Twitter
Piratecjs James LaBrie
Hey EdizArca, Don't know what your reading or listening to but we r far from commercial with the new material.

Excellent.  :burns:  <-- (there needs to be an icon for that  :lol)
- Marco

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: June 20, 2011, 08:17:21 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline robwebster

« Reply #958 on: June 20, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »
Just every now and then, someone'll quote James's twitter, and I'll have forgotten how funny and goofy his username is. And then I'll see it, chuckle, and enjoy.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #960 on: June 20, 2011, 09:24:28 AM »
I really didn't know where to put this, so I'll just put it here.

Mike recently posted these responses on his Facebook Fan Page:

On the subject of: "why is MP doing so many projects if he 'wanted a break'":

MP: "Once and for all (yeah right!), I felt *DT* needed a break...we were doing a constant write/record/tour cycle for over 20 years (of which I oversaw every aspect and was burnt out) and I felt the routine of the endless cycle (and our internal relationships) were getting stale and needed a little break to shake things up and re-inspire...I NEVER said that *I* needed a break from playing/creating/working.."

On the subject of:"JP & JR stated you wanted the band to just stop for 5 years...how could you expect them to do that?":

MP: "I never said '5 years' as they are saying...I suggested an "indefinite" break (which is exactly that...take some time off and when we ALL were ready, re-start)...they said no...I then suggested a compromise of reconvening in Jan 2012...they still said no...I then suggested a further compromise of doing "light work" throughout 2011 in order to keep $ flowing in...and they STILL said no...they basically said 'it's Jan 2011 or we're moving on without you'...with no compromises and no concerns or respect for my need for time off...and I wasn't going to be "forced" into something I wasn't ready to do, so I was left with no choice but to step aside....and then at the end of October, after 6 weeks of reflection, I was willing to do it just for the sake of not losing my own band, but they already started their auditions and their film and it was too late (although Mangini was NOT in the band yet at this point)...and even then, they had their lawyers respond to me...they didnt even do it themselves!! So everybody, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT before making accusations about me!!! or even better yet, let's just drop it and move on...The Serenity Prayer has taught me to "accept the things I cannot change"...and until somebody builds a time machine, you cannot change the past (and even then, the movies have hinted that you still cant)" 

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: June 20, 2011, 09:37:38 AM »

Mike recently posted these responses on his Facebook Fan Page:

On the subject of: "why is MP doing so many projects if he 'wanted a break'":

MP: "Once and for all (yeah right!), I felt *DT* needed a break...we were doing a constant write/record/tour cycle for over 20 years (of which I oversaw every aspect and was burnt out) and I felt the routine of the endless cycle (and our internal relationships) were getting stale and needed a little break to shake things up and re-inspire...I NEVER said that *I* needed a break from playing/creating/working.."

On the subject of:"JP & JR stated you wanted the band to just stop for 5 years...how could you expect them to do that?":

MP: "I never said '5 years' as they are saying...I suggested an "indefinite" break (which is exactly that...take some time off and when we ALL were ready, re-start)...they said no...I then suggested a compromise of reconvening in Jan 2012...they still said no...I then suggested a further compromise of doing "light work" throughout 2011 in order to keep $ flowing in...and they STILL said no...they basically said 'it's Jan 2011 or we're moving on without you'...with no compromises and no concerns or respect for my need for time off...and I wasn't going to be "forced" into something I wasn't ready to do, so I was left with no choice but to step aside....and then at the end of October, after 6 weeks of reflection, I was willing to do it just for the sake of not losing my own band, but they already started their auditions and their film and it was too late (although Mangini was NOT in the band yet at this point)...and even then, they had their lawyers respond to me...they didnt even do it themselves!! So everybody, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT before making accusations about me!!! or even better yet, let's just drop it and move on...The Serenity Prayer has taught me to "accept the things I cannot change"...and until somebody builds a time machine, you cannot change the past (and even then, the movies have hinted that you still cant)"  

Does he still feel the need of having periodic outburst like this?  :sad:

Actually, it is quite shameful to compare the words each of the two parts has spent for the other since the breakup. But I guess this is MP's way...  ::)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:44:10 AM by wasteland »
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #962 on: June 20, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »
Big facepalms were had here.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #963 on: June 20, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with MP's words. If anything, he's defending himself against all the baseless accusations people make about him without even knowing the facts, as he says. I've seen plenty of those accusations in this forum and if I were Mike I would definitely feel ofended about people's animosity towards me, and try to get things straight.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #964 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »

Um...maybe any one of the several threads that are actually about Mike leaving the band?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #965 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
What I think is wrong with that is bringing once again the whole "I told them this...they refused (BUT OF COURSE....NOT THEMSELVES BUT WITH THEIR *LAWYER*....)" ordeal.

wasteland has a good point in comparing the wording of the DT guys and the wording of MP. I'm sorry, but I just can't help to think that the DT guys are hell lot more mature than MP.

Um...maybe any one of the several threads that are actually about Mike leaving the band?
Didn't know if it was a good idea to necro one of those threads, but yeah. My bad.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: June 20, 2011, 09:51:51 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with MP's words. If anything, he's defending himself against all the baseless accusations people make about him without even knowing the facts, as he says. I've seen plenty of those accusations in this forum and if I were Mike I would definitely feel ofended about people's animosity towards me, and try to get things straight.

That's right, but the problem is that he already did make things clear. He wrote several pages of explaination, comments and whatever over the last 9 months. He said he was heartbroken, that he needed time to work things out, and than that he felt great with his "new life" and he could not be happier to do what he was doing.

If he is so happy, why are his words so sour? He has the right to say whatever he wants to, but to further iterate these verbal exploits seems to me a bit out of place now.

Ok, let's come back in topic: this album is not going to be commercial, according to James's words. Were you worried about it? That this album could drive DT away from ProgLand?
- Marco

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #967 on: June 20, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »

MP: I felt *DT* needed a break...we were doing a constant write/record/tour cycle for over 20 years (of which I oversaw every aspect and was burnt out) and I felt the routine of the endless cycle (and our internal relationships) were getting stale and needed a little break to shake things up and re-inspire...I NEVER *never* said that *I* needed a break from playing/creating/working.."

MP: Let's just drop it and move on...The Serenity Prayer has taught me to "accept the things I cannot change"...and until somebody builds a time machine, you cannot change the past (and even then, the movies have hinted that you still cant)"  

I would have been more impressed if the response had been left to this ^ alone, but I expect too much...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:02:05 AM by TheSilentHam »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #968 on: June 20, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
Probably because that's what happens when his fans are ignorant and assume whatever they want. He is happy, he just wanted to make the message as bold and clear as possible so people will stop making accusations about him.

JP & JR probably said ~5 years because when bands do indefinite breaks, that's usually what the break lasts for as far as I know (I could be wrong, but that's my guess). They probably left out that Mike compromised with just a year break and so forth because they were explaining how they felt about the ordeal itself, not the details of it.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: June 20, 2011, 10:02:01 AM »
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #971 on: June 20, 2011, 10:07:30 AM »

Didn't know if it was a good idea to necro one of those threads, but yeah. My bad.

No, you definitely should.  It belongs in that discussion--not here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #972 on: June 20, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
Probably because that's what happens when his fans are ignorant and assume whatever they want. He is happy, he just wanted to make the message as bold and clear as possible so people will stop making accusations about him.
Agreed.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #973 on: June 20, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »
DT said MP asked to come back after MM was chosen...and MP is saying otherwise. weird.

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #974 on: June 20, 2011, 10:29:38 AM »
No matter how many times JP and JR try to state otherwise, relations in DT camp were not healthy. Certainly when you after more than 20 years together choose to have your lawyer do the communications with the other part.

JP feels "heartbroken", bullshit (?)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #975 on: June 20, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »
No matter how many times JP and JR try to state otherwise, relations in DT camp were not healthy. Certainly when you after more than 20 years together choose to have your lawyer do the communications with the other part.

For what it's worth, Mike, I'm really looking forward to Adrenaline Mob.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #976 on: June 20, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »

Who cares who is right or who is wrong? In the end, MP left DT and they went on making music seperately. And yes, maybe there's more to it than what we actually know, but what matters is that they go on making music.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #977 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
I've arrived at a point where I'm just taking notice of what MP has to say about his departure and nothing more. It's more or less just more of the same imo.
All eyes on DT, I guess. At least, that's what applies to me.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #978 on: June 20, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
You guys will talk about literally anything if it gets brought up.

I think that Chipotle is a boring restaurant with fairly tasteless burritos. Seriously, there's like no flavor.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #979 on: June 20, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »
I've arrived at a point where I'm just taking notice of what MP has to say about his departure and nothing more. It's more or less just more of the same imo.
All eyes on DT, I guess. At least, that's what applies to me.

Given that I've never ever been interested in what MP has done outside DT, that applies to me too.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael