Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484487 times)

Offline mocool13

Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #875 on: June 17, 2011, 02:58:25 AM »
There's one rare case in this record where I had a song fairly ready lyrically speaking and then I could accommodate it to some existing music in the form of riffs that I thought of for another song. But that's very rare, and almost never were there situations where someone came in with lyrics from home and we were forced to accommodate music for them or compose something unique for that specific text."

So, Myung probably wrong one song?

:facepalm:

A FEW singles? Like, all before the album? Fuck.

A few singles in total, not a few before the album's release

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #876 on: June 17, 2011, 06:48:42 AM »
In a dream last night Dream Theater were playing in my hometown. They had a new singer, a 13 year old girl and two equally aged back up singers.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: June 17, 2011, 07:02:44 AM »
In a dream last night Dream Theater were playing in my hometown. They had a new singer, a 13 year old girl and two equally aged back up singers.

Now THAT would be a dramatic turn of events. And a nightmare to remember. Plus a fatal tragedy.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #878 on: June 17, 2011, 07:04:57 AM »
And a panic attack. Wait, that'd be from my end.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: June 17, 2011, 07:05:25 AM »
Wait... is it confirmed that Myung has wrote lyrics for a song(s) on this album?

Apparently so. Some user met Jordan a few months(?) ago at a benefit concert and Jordan told him that there will be JM lyrics to several songs. How many I have no clue, but I personally don't see it being higher than two because JP loves to write lyrics and I'm assuming JLB contributed lyrically as well.

Well, now I know how rumors get started.

JR confirmed that JM wrote lyrics on this album, but, as far as I can tell, any statements that it was to more than one song, let alone "several songs" are just rumor.
The confirmation and the idea that it might be "multiple songs" came from exactly the same place. Namely, one of our number who met him at a recent event. Can't remember what the event was, precisely, but the number's no more dubious than the confirmation that JM's written a word in the first place.

EDIT: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=22053.msg867186#msg867186 Here you go.

In this case, rumours get started by first-hand sources. Not chinese whispers.

Not to say that there's not a chance that Mebert could be embellishing - "some bloke off the internet" wouldn't exactly hold the same amount of water as an academic source - but he's been here for a while, he's a trusted member, and I can't see him making things up only to inevitably be proven wrong five months down the line. I'd be more inclined to trust him than Blabbermouth.

I'm not doubting Mebert's account.  To quote that post you linked to:

Quote from: Mebert78
He said one thing he could tell me is that Myung wrote lyrics for songs (I believe he said songs, plural -- as in multiple songs).

There's some doubt there as to whether the plural "songs" is accurate.  Mebert may have misheard or misremembered, or JR may have misspoke.  Regardless, Mebert did the repsonsible thing and highlighted that the mulitiple songs thing is not certain.  Yet, in the retelling it's gone from "I believe he said songs, plural" to "definitely multiple songs" to "several songs".    

In my haste to jump on the "several songs" thing, though, I overlooked this quote from Samara, with which I agree strongly:
Quote from:  Samara
How many I have no clue, but I personally don't see it being higher than two because JP loves to write lyrics and I'm assuming JLB contributed lyrically as well.

Personally, I'd be willing to place a wager that Myung only wrote lyrics for one song.  

But only a very small wager.   ;)

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #880 on: June 17, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »
He may or may not have written lyrics, but they don't always get used... I also would wager a small amount that he only wrote 1, but 2-3 is plausible as well.  I'm just going off of Petrucci saying that somebody brought in lyrics without a song in mind, which is what Portnoy used to complain about; probably, this was Myung.  Did Myung wrote a song + lyrics for a 2nd song?  Maybe.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #881 on: June 17, 2011, 07:53:44 AM »
He may or may not have written lyrics, but they don't always get used... I also would wager a small amount that he only wrote 1, but 2-3 is plausible as well.  I'm just going off of Petrucci saying that somebody brought in lyrics without a song in mind, which is what Portnoy used to complain about; probably, this was Myung.  Did Myung wrote a song + lyrics for a 2nd song?  Maybe.

No, JP said HE (HE as in John Petrucci) had lyrics ready without the music.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #882 on: June 17, 2011, 10:06:56 AM »

Weird I had a similar dream last night, except it was a bit more realistic lol.  I was watching DT play on the new tour live, and I remember watching Mangini and his huge kit a lot in the dream.  The only parts I remember was they played Learning to Live followed immediately by 6:00.  :metal

Offline krands85

« Reply #883 on: June 17, 2011, 12:49:06 PM »
I had a dream the other night I was in their studio (although it seemed more like a house that looked out onto a large back garden). Anyway, I was chatting to Jordan about how they come up with ideas for songs and how they build them. He told me he basically gets some sound effects/samples (eg. thunder/sirens or whatever) and that they build all the songs around those :D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #884 on: June 17, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
While we're on the subject of DT dreams, I had a dream where DT was rehearsing for the upcoming tour and Jordan decided to quit because the new songs were "too technical". The band decided to continue without a keyboardist. I actually woke up thinking it was real..

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #885 on: June 17, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
I had a dream that James died the other day :/ Right before the tour too, so the rest of the guys decided to call it quits.  The album would have been their swan song.  Strange dream :/ I woke up nearly in tears and thought thank god.  :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #886 on: June 17, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »
I had a dream that James died the other day :/ Right before the tour too, so the rest of the guys decided to call it quits.  The album would have been their swan song.  Strange dream :/ I woke up nearly in tears and thought thank god.  :lol

Actually, there was a guy that died.

Right at the audition?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Aniland

« Reply #887 on: June 18, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »
LOL gotta go watch that

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #888 on: June 18, 2011, 03:40:12 AM »
I had a dream the other night I was in their studio (although it seemed more like a house that looked out onto a large back garden). Anyway, I was chatting to Jordan about how they come up with ideas for songs and how they build them. He told me he basically gets some sound effects/samples (eg. thunder/sirens or whatever) and that they build all the songs around those :D
:rollin :rollin

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #889 on: June 18, 2011, 04:38:54 AM »

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #890 on: June 18, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »
In the subject of dreams, I listened through BC&SL before going to sleep a few nights ago, and it got me into a pretty vivid dream. I was watching Dream Theater playing live, but they were headlining at my local park, and for some reason there was only Petrucci, Myung and even stranger... Portnoy!  I was talking with Petrucci and Myung after the gig, just hanging out, Myung bought me kebab meat and chips from a local chip shop (I have no idea haha), it was really great hanging out with them!

I had an empty feeling after I awoke, I thought it was too real. But I'm going to miss Portnoy this July, bring on Mangini! :laugh:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #891 on: June 18, 2011, 01:43:56 PM »
In the subject of dreams, I listened through BC&SL before going to sleep a few nights ago, and it got me into a pretty vivid dream. I was watching Dream Theater playing live, but they were headlining at my local park, and for some reason there was only Petrucci, Myung and even stranger... Portnoy!  I was talking with Petrucci and Myung after the gig, just hanging out, Myung bought me kebab meat and chips from a local chip shop (I have no idea haha), it was really great hanging out with them!

I had an empty feeling after I awoke, I thought it was too real. But I'm going to miss Portnoy this July, bring on Mangini! :laugh:
Great ;D
I want to dream something like that :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Vajra

« Reply #892 on: June 18, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »
Woah, we're talking about dreams about DREAM Theater...

conspiracy?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #893 on: June 18, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
What a dramatic turn of events!

Offline mocool13

« Reply #894 on: June 18, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »
I think this would be appropriate to include in the thread:

Just having JM lyrics would be exciting enough, but according to Jordan:

"He has just been more involved in this album than he has been in a while. To the point where he is writing some lyrics and he had a lot of riff ideas and was very excited about going forward with this new situation."

(quote from interview I did for an upcoming Classic Rock Presents Prog DT feature)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #895 on: June 18, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »
:caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine:

Offline Apricot

« Reply #896 on: June 18, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »
POTENTIAL SPOILER:

No this isn't a leak mods, don't shoot me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFrjzHoZL1o
Not sure if the title of 'small tease' indicates to it being part of the album or not.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: June 18, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »
Oh god I sure hope so.  Very "The Great Debatish"  :)

Offline Apricot

« Reply #898 on: June 18, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »
Oh god I sure hope so.  Very "The Great Debatish"  :)
I was thinking the same thing haha.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: June 18, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »
Or maybe it could just mean that they are playing The Great Debate on this tour.  :)  That would be awesome!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: June 18, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
Oh please, none of the above. The Great Debate is terrible in every way.

Also, posting anything uploaded by the DT members is perfectly legal and within the rules of this site. If they leak something it's their problem.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: June 18, 2011, 06:58:49 PM »

Blasphemy! Amazing song!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #902 on: June 18, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
lolemin
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Apricot

« Reply #903 on: June 18, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »
Also, posting anything uploaded by the DT members is perfectly legal and within the rules of this site. If they leak something it's their problem.

Oh I was referring to the possibility that it might not have been Jordan who uploaded the video, due to it being leaked or something. Slim chances I know...

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #904 on: June 18, 2011, 07:17:46 PM »
The Great Debate is a great song, and even if you don't like it because the intro or the outro or the chorus - there are still other great moments in it and describing it as "terrible in every way" is just... wrong. In every way.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #906 on: June 18, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »

Why

Why are you here

Where do we we go when we die?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #907 on: June 18, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »

Oh I was referring to the possibility that it might not have been Jordan who uploaded the video, due to it being leaked or something. Slim chances I know...
jcrudess is jordan's youtube account and since he uploaded it, it's all good.  :)
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #908 on: June 18, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »
From reading the comments and his responses, I think it's him doing some technical exercises.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #909 on: June 18, 2011, 09:28:09 PM »
It's definitely The Great Debate. Someone in the comments said Blind Faith, haha, they got pretty mixed up there.