Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484615 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #805 on: June 15, 2011, 11:45:58 AM »
According to JP in that hebrew interview mixing is in it's final stages.  :)

Where are you getting this information?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #806 on: June 15, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »
That interview on metalist, that everone was talking about a minute ago.

o what's up, John?

I'm cool, thanks. I'm currently in New York, the last stages of mixing the new album. The mix makes us great Andy Wallace, which is really exciting. He is a consummate professional and does an amazing job so far. On a personal note, I can say I'm very happy to be at this point finally.

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #807 on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »
I've been following this thread for a little while, and it struck me that there may actually be no backing vocals(for those wondering about jordan) - or, if there is, that james is likely doing them. Considering that james wanted to take care of that on his own, it's very possible. Personally, i enjoyed the harmonies better on images when james did them himself.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #808 on: June 15, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
I've been following this thread for a little while, and it struck me that there may actually be no backing vocals(for those wondering about jordan) - or, if there is, that james is likely doing them. Considering that james wanted to take care of that on his own, it's very possible. Personally, i enjoyed the harmonies better on images when james did them himself.

JP usually contributes backing vocals, so there's most likely going to be some from him.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: June 15, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
Yeah James said he did some backing vox.  Dunno about JP or the other guys.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #810 on: June 15, 2011, 12:01:31 PM »
That interview on metalist, that everone was talking about a minute ago.

o what's up, John?

I'm cool, thanks. I'm currently in New York, the last stages of mixing the new album. The mix makes us great Andy Wallace, which is really exciting. He is a consummate professional and does an amazing job so far. On a personal note, I can say I'm very happy to be at this point finally.

You said it was in Hebrew though.  Where are people getting the english translation?  That kinda looks like Google translate though.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #811 on: June 15, 2011, 12:05:50 PM »

???  Well...yeah...just about anything is possible, but I haven't seen any information that would lead anyone to the conclusion that it is likely that there are no backing vocals.  Where did that come from?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: June 15, 2011, 12:06:15 PM »
Yeah just put it through google translate.  It's actually quite funny and quite hard to read.

Mike Meng Ginny! Haha

https://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=iw&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metalist.co.il%2FInterviewPrivate.asp%3Fid%3D473

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #813 on: June 15, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »

???  Well...yeah...just about anything is possible, but I haven't seen any information that would lead anyone to the conclusion that it is likely that there are no backing vocals.  Where did that come from?

i have the idea that i read some quote around the forum where somebody made an interview to the guy who did the vocal recording.. he said James and John already had a clear idea of what they wanted to sing.. so i guess that means John did sing some backing vocals...

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #814 on: June 15, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
found it:

Chycki commented on his role on what can be considered one of the most important albums of Dream Theater’s career.

Working with James and John Petrucci on the new Dream Theater album was certainly an honour. Both James and John had a very confident sense of where they wanted the vocal performances to end up, and it’s gratifying that they placed their trust in my input. That level of focus gives us a surgical strike method to our madness – no guessing, just hitting on the definitive performance. To me, vibe is everything. My studio overlooks an equestrian ranch, swimming pool and gardens, so it’s quite serene and certainly away from any distractions. And, as with the Rush projects I’ve worked on, it’s always important to have fun and maintain a positive frame of mind while working toward the finish line. It’s an intangible facet that can really be heard and I think listeners will find the new Dream Theater is no exception. It’s fresh and exciting, James and the rest of the band perform with an amazing intensity.”

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #815 on: June 15, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »
found it:

Chycki commented on his role on what can be considered one of the most important albums of Dream Theater’s career.

Working with James and John Petrucci on the new Dream Theater album was certainly an honour. Both James and John had a very confident sense of where they wanted the vocal performances to end up, and it’s gratifying that they placed their trust in my input. That level of focus gives us a surgical strike method to our madness – no guessing, just hitting on the definitive performance. To me, vibe is everything. My studio overlooks an equestrian ranch, swimming pool and gardens, so it’s quite serene and certainly away from any distractions. And, as with the Rush projects I’ve worked on, it’s always important to have fun and maintain a positive frame of mind while working toward the finish line. It’s an intangible facet that can really be heard and I think listeners will find the new Dream Theater is no exception. It’s fresh and exciting, James and the rest of the band perform with an amazing intensity.”

that only says they had a clear vision for the vocals...not necessarily that JP did any. JP is the producer, therefore he is going to have a vision for the vocals regardless of if he actually contributes any.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #816 on: June 15, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »
^That.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #817 on: June 15, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »
that only says they had a clear vision for the vocals...not necessarily that JP did any. JP is the producer, therefore he is going to have a vision for the vocals regardless of if he actually contributes any.

that's true, i guess i misinterpreted it.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: June 15, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »
So, now that JP has indicated that the album title wasn't meant to refer to MP's departure, will those who hated it for "obviously" being about MP's departure change their minds?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #819 on: June 15, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »
I don't think anyone hated it for that reason, it just seems a little "oh c'mon, really?" if you connect the two together.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #820 on: June 15, 2011, 04:44:13 PM »
Wow, I really don't like that album title at all.  I figured they would probably name it after the recent transition they've been through, but it seems too wordy and straight forward with no mystery to it.  Something more simple like "Crossroads" would've been perfect, but hey, it's their album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #821 on: June 15, 2011, 05:30:36 PM »
Wow, I really don't like that album title at all.  I figured they would probably name it after the recent transition they've been through, but it seems too wordy and straight forward with no mystery to it.  Something more simple like "Crossroads" would've been perfect, but hey, it's their album.

As we just discussed in the posts above, the title is not about Mike Portnoy.  It is apparently a reference to the lyrical themes of the album.

That said, I find it very difficult to believe that DT didn't realize people would automatically associate it with Portnoy, especially considering they waited until prompting to tell us that it refers to the lyrics.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #822 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
Ha! (almost)Called it, I knew the song titles somehow tied with the album title with an overall theme or something.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #823 on: June 16, 2011, 01:32:23 AM »
Hi there. I've been a lurking here every day since around the time MP left, finally made an account.

If you guys want, I can fully translate that interview since I'm Israeli; there are a few more interesting things in that interview that I haven't seen mentioned translated. There are a few things outside the album discussion that I found interesting. I can translate the whole thing if you guys really want me to, or just provide a quick summary.

There's also another interview by JP here: https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4081516,00.html

This second one though doesn't mention much about the record but more or less talks about the departure of MP and arrival of MM as well as playing in Israel two years ago and this summer.

Offline j

« Reply #824 on: June 16, 2011, 01:56:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum, bro! :tup

I'd be interested in reading anything you have time to translate.  A summary is cool unless other people really want to read it verbatim, but I wouldn't want you to have to spend too much time on it.  Nice of you to offer!

-J

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #825 on: June 16, 2011, 04:13:22 AM »
Read this in mp forum:

BTW, in an interview with Israeli online metal magazine, Metalist (yeah, original name indeed), the interviewer asked Petrucci (it's written in hebrew and I just translate, so maybe there are a few wrong words choise, but I think I kept the meaning the same):
"The name of the album immediately connects to last year's events - A Dramatic Turn of Events. is it possible to guess that the musical direction evolves in a dramatic way aswell, now that Mike Portnoy is not part of the band?"
And Petrucci answered:
"It's clear to me that it's possible to directly connect the name of the album to everything that has happened with the band in the last year, but it's not the case. the name is connected to the lyrical content of the album, and to the fact that most of the lyrics are about big changes that has happened in history and now in the world (socially, politically, spiritually). The songs are actually about that, and the title of the album represents that fact, but at the same time, I have to confess that it's clear that it's possible to translate it the way in which you talk about - although it wasn't the meaning."

Hope I translted it well. : )

Interesting if true!

Would be nice if this info is added to the new album updates thread. Seems like a worthy piece of news for that thread.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #826 on: June 16, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »
I'm sorry but that's kind of a... lame concept for an album. All the songs are about "big changes that happened in history?"  ???  I don't know, I understand JP said this, but it almost seems far fetched. The album title seems like such an obvious connection to MP that I almost said "what? are you sure it's not related?" when I read that quote. If they didn't want to make a connection they could've at least chosen a more creative or memorable title. I don't know about you guys but I'm not incredibly impressed by the title and track names, I hope the music lives up though, since the names are really just a minor thing.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #827 on: June 16, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »
a noobish question that's likely already been answered...but..

Did the band have all the songs written, and so on BEFORE Mangini was hired?
Or was he part of the process?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #828 on: June 16, 2011, 08:31:44 AM »
a noobish question that's likely already been answered...but..

Did the band have all the songs written, and so on BEFORE Mangini was hired?
Or was he part of the process?

Neither.  For various reasons, he wasn't part of the writing process.  He came in and performed the drums (a mix of Petrucci's ideas and his own) and that was it.
Over and over again

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: June 16, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
I'm sorry but that's kind of a... lame concept for an album. All the songs are about "big changes that happened in history?" 

I don't think that was a "concept for an album".  Rather, I think they had a bunch of songs written and then came up with a title to fit them.  Just like the BC&SL.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #830 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
I'm sorry but that's kind of a... lame concept for an album. All the songs are about "big changes that happened in history?"  ???  I don't know, I understand JP said this, but it almost seems far fetched. The album title seems like such an obvious connection to MP that I almost said "what? are you sure it's not related?" when I read that quote. If they didn't want to make a connection they could've at least chosen a more creative or memorable title. I don't know about you guys but I'm not incredibly impressed by the title and track names, I hope the music lives up though, since the names are really just a minor thing.

Oh well.

That's not really what he said but it's a cool loose concept.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #831 on: June 16, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »
The fans are making the connection.

I never thought it was connected, but in the bands history MP was ADToE. Its cool to hear its about changes in the world, and how its like PoW. "Its time to make a change" and these are the changes that happened.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #832 on: June 16, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
so...something that nobody saw as a real option, (i think the option has been shot down in numerous of threads?).............this album has got a concept............there for it is a concept album YEAH!
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #833 on: June 16, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
Incorrect.

Offline tgstk2

• PanterA
« Reply #834 on: June 16, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
ok you defition of a concept album is differnt than mine.
no problem there.
all i want is a DT album ....with some fresh DT music.
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #835 on: June 16, 2011, 12:42:22 PM »
So, now that JP has indicated that the album title wasn't meant to refer to MP's departure, will those who hated it for "obviously" being about MP's departure change their minds?

No, I still don't like it whether it's about that whole situation or not.  But, even if part of it was about that, do you think JP would admit it?  I'm thinking probably not.  But seriously, after going through something like that, how could they not write about it even just a little.  It obviously had a dramatic affect on the band.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Aniland

« Reply #836 on: June 16, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
no problem there.

Definitions aren't subjective.  :facepalm:

Offline tgstk2

• PanterA
« Reply #837 on: June 16, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »
no problem there.

Definitions aren't subjective.  :facepalm:

indeed  :facepalm:

In music, a concept album is an album that is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical".[1] Commonly, concept albums tend to incorporate preconceived musical or lyrical ideas rather than being improvised or composed in the studio, with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story. This is in contrast to the practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected (lyrically or otherwise) songs performed by the artist.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: June 16, 2011, 01:00:32 PM »
Look, I don't agree with this forum's definition of what constitutes a concept album either but the best idea is just to let it go before people get all butthurt about it.  Trust me.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #839 on: June 16, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »

In music, a concept album is an album that is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical".[1] Commonly, concept albums tend to incorporate preconceived musical or lyrical ideas rather than being improvised or composed in the studio, with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story. This is in contrast to the practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected (lyrically or otherwise) songs performed by the artist.

Well, i guess it will depend if they decided before writing if they were going to write about this concept or if it was just that they didn't have any preconceived idea about what they were going to write of and for some reason the lyrics turned up to be about this stuff. He didn't say if the final product turned to be about that or if they knew it from the begining.

I guess we have a new question to add for the next interview.