Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 484776 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #525 on: June 09, 2011, 07:20:48 AM »
I guess there isn't much more to say than just that.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: June 09, 2011, 07:21:13 AM »
let me help you with that:

Edit: Nope, ImageSucks doesn't let me embed that pic.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: June 09, 2011, 07:23:56 AM »
It always used to work on other forums though.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #528 on: June 09, 2011, 07:31:10 AM »
Any news on the new info JP mentioned that would be found on DT.net this morning?

Nope, as far as I know, the most we got was an email from them with yesterday's info and what seems to be the top part of the album cover (my sig)

Well there wasn't anything in that email that said that was the top part of the album art, looks more like a quickly thrown together graphic for promotional purposes.

Maybe, but the font is probably the one they're going to use for the artwork. But there's still a possibility it could be the top of the cover since most DT album covers have the large Dream Theater font at the top with the album name directly beneath it, just like what they posted yesterday

Offline Aniland

« Reply #529 on: June 09, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »
9 songs from an inspired John Petrucci - I think ADTOE is going to be a guitar fan's wet dream. Who's with me?

9 songs from an equally reinvigorated Jordan Rudess.
9 songs containing input (both musical and LYRICAL) from John Myung, an until now silenced genius.
9 songs with the powerhouse Mike Mangini, who has finally found his musical home, on drums.

But most importantly 9 songs from a band which has something to prove for the first time in almost 15 years. Bring it on.

Also, first post. S'up fell DT fans?

No LaBrie? Leave DTF.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #530 on: June 09, 2011, 07:37:57 AM »
9 songs from an inspired John Petrucci - I think ADTOE is going to be a guitar fan's wet dream. Who's with me?

9 songs from an equally reinvigorated Jordan Rudess.
9 songs containing input (both musical and LYRICAL) from John Myung, an until now silenced genius.
9 songs with the powerhouse Mike Mangini, who has finally found his musical home, on drums.

But most importantly 9 songs from a band which has something to prove for the first time in almost 15 years. Bring it on.

Also, first post. S'up fell DT fans?

No LaBrie? Leave DTF.

That's what I wanted to add : GTFO, you noob!!! ;D Just kidding of course! :metal

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #531 on: June 09, 2011, 07:52:43 AM »
The two above posts: This!!!!

Online Dream Team

« Reply #532 on: June 09, 2011, 07:57:15 AM »
how come no one is really talking about the release date? cant wait for september 13th!

Because I don't want summer to be over, it just got here in the Northeast  :(.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #533 on: June 09, 2011, 08:00:59 AM »
how come no one is really talking about the release date? cant wait for september 13th!

haha im in NE as well, but it seems that everyone was waiting for more stuff to be released and i think 9/13 is what JP was referring to when he said check out DT.net for more news in the morning

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #534 on: June 09, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »

Imagine a quote pyramid consisting entirely of me quoting myself saying I love Zook.  

Now, imagine you're standing on that pyramid in these sorta Sun God robes, while millions of naked women are screaming and throwing tiny pickles at you.

You are my hero.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: June 09, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »

Imagine a quote pyramid consisting entirely of me quoting myself saying I love Zook.  

Now, imagine you're standing on that pyramid in these sorta Sun God robes, while millions of naked women are screaming and throwing tiny pickles at you.

You are my hero.

:blush

Offline adameastment

« Reply #536 on: June 09, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »
I love the album title. I just hope the album artwork isn't cheesy. And if it is, I hope it's cheesy in an awesome way.

"On the Backs of Angels" is a beautiful title and I see what James probably meant by "oozing with emotion"
"Build Me Up, Break Me Down" just sounds exciting as all hell of a song, and I bet it will be anthemic.
"Lost Not Forgotten" will almost definitely be the single based on the title and track placement; sounds really tense and epic
"This is the Life" sounds really optimistic and light; I think this song will be a cult classic, perhaps the next Myung?
"The Shaman's Trance" is a silly name and I hate it; I hope it is the instrumental because I don't want LaBrie singing about that subject.
"Outcry" sounds like it will be tremendous and intense.
"Far From Heaven"... ambiguous. Could be giant, could be a ballad, will probably have LaBrie sounding incredibly.
"Breaking All Illusions"...and
"Beneath the Surface"...these last two songs, both give me the feeling that they'll be so big, maybe the best penultimate and ending tracks Dream Theater has ever penned. I feel like one of them (or both?) is Myung. Just...

Ahhhhhhh

Maybe it'll be a triple disk set, and the last two are so big that they'll need their own disks? :P

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #537 on: June 09, 2011, 08:49:09 AM »

:lol

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #538 on: June 09, 2011, 08:49:38 AM »
i hope for a JP sweep extravaganza on this album, his sweeps always give make me go  :metal
i hope for a small solo spot for MM, so he has got like a 10 second break where it's just MM showing off
i hope for a great JR sound, not over the top, not 3245 effects into one ,just your normal keyboard (piano) sound where the man shows his chops
i hope for a bass gutiar you can hear all the way true on this album, and ofrouse some riff in the vain of Metropolis pt1 where people still go  :metal about after 20 years
i hope for JLB's most aggresive, most beautiful, most intens vocals ever. and even a F#....

so DT. bring it on!!
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #539 on: June 09, 2011, 09:01:53 AM »
Well, here's an intriguing series of events.

*post*

Immediately afterward:

Nuggets abound.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #540 on: June 09, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »
Mind = blown

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #541 on: June 09, 2011, 09:14:53 AM »
Yes  but can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your penis bosk1?

BTW,  Can't wait to see the album cover and who wrote the lyrics!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #542 on: June 09, 2011, 09:24:49 AM »
Not right now.

But I understand you asking, King.  A girl's gotta have her standards, right?  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JPX

« Reply #543 on: June 09, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
haha im in NE as well, but it seems that everyone was waiting for more stuff to be released and i think 9/13 is what JP was referring to when he said check out DT.net for more news in the morning

I really don't see why he would refer to a date 3 months from now to check out for news.

I really think everyone mis-interpreted the original statement. They released the album name/titles and said 'more news' tomorrow. That 'more news' was the Roadrunner article with release date info and some quotes from the band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #544 on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
Not right now.

But I understand you asking, King.  A girl's gotta have her standards, right?  :D

I need to watch that.  I haven't seen it in a few years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #545 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »
I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "I drank what?"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #546 on: June 09, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »
I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "I drank what?"

Monica Lewinsky?
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #547 on: June 09, 2011, 09:44:29 AM »
Not right now.

I need to watch that.  I haven't seen it in a few years.

I can only hope that after our continuous prodding, SeaWolf finally got around to watching it.

Offline M-boogie

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #549 on: June 09, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »
Build me up, Break Me Down is going to be about JPs gym experiences.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #550 on: June 09, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
I think there could be a religious/spiritual theme on the new album knowing that JP is mostly the main lyricist and we know he like to talk about Religious things... some of the names of the songs could develop some religious ideas/beliefs..

On the Backs of Angels  
    Build Me Up, Break Me Down
    Lost Not Forgotten
    This is the Life
    The Shaman's Trance
    Outcry
    Far From Heaven

This two i can't get a reference.

Breaking All Illusions
    Beneath The Surface

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: June 09, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
@jdprsaga:

I'm going to be honest: I really think this is going to be a concept album. The song titles seem to suggest that the concept will be something spiritual. The obvious ones are On the Backs of Angels and Far from Heaven, but we also have references to life (This is the Life), death (Lost Not Forgotten), spiritualism (The Shaman's Trance), and perhaps even hell (Beneath the Surface). I fully expect people to disagree, but I'm just raising this as a possibility.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #552 on: June 09, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
    Breaking All Illusions
    Beneath The Surface

No idea about Breaking All Illusions, but to my mind, Beneath the Surface is obviously about muscles.

JPs muscles.

OMG ITS A CONCEPT

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: June 09, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »
I think there could be a religious/spiritual theme on the new album knowing that JP is mostly the main lyricist and we know he like to talk about Religious things... some of the names of the songs could develop some religious ideas/beliefs..

On the Backs of Angels  
    Build Me Up, Break Me Down
    Lost Not Forgotten
    This is the Life
    The Shaman's Trance
    Outcry
    Far From Heaven

This two i can't get a reference.

Breaking All Illusions
    Beneath The Surface

Breaking All Illusions could be about a crisis of faith, theoretically.  Y'know, deciding that God is an illusion?  Or wondering if all religion is an illusion, but eventually being reassured?  I dunno.  It's theoretically possible, though.

Beneath The Surface... uh... I got nothing.  
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #554 on: June 09, 2011, 10:12:59 AM »
OMG ITS A CONCEPT

A concept about his transformation into a bear.  You have to admit, slowly turning into a bear with superhuman guitar prowess would classify as a dramatic turn of events for pretty much anyone.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
Re: "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Official Thread
« Reply #555 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »
:| :| :| :| :| :|

:omg:
IDK why, but I burst out laughing.

I hate the title name >:(
But the songs sound good!  :laugh:
Also, I think This Is The Life is the name of a Hannah Montana song.  :|
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #556 on: June 09, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »
OMG ITS A CONCEPT

A concept about his transformation into a bear.  You have to admit, slowly turning into a bear with superhuman guitar prowess would classify as a dramatic turn of events for pretty much anyone.

Breaking All Illusions might about the final realization that he is indeed becoming a bear. It might be DT's "The Downward Spiral" :O

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #557 on: June 09, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »
New JP Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GZCNcQONF8&feature=feedu
"Commonly referred to as the biggest band nobody knows about..." Now that's...hm...a quotation i haven't heard before.
Anyways, glad to have some feedback from a member after the announcement of the album title.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #558 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
@jdprsaga:

I'm going to be honest: I really think this is going to be a concept album. The song titles seem to suggest that the concept will be something spiritual. The obvious ones are On the Backs of Angels and Far from Heaven, but we also have references to life (This is the Life), death (Lost Not Forgotten), spiritualism (The Shaman's Trance), and perhaps even hell (Beneath the Surface). I fully expect people to disagree, but I'm just raising this as a possibility.

Cool man .. good to know i'm not the first one to think about this.. i didn't read your original post as we are already on page 16... i'm not sold about the beneath the surface reference for hell tho.

Breaking All Illusions could be about a crisis of faith, theoretically.  Y'know, deciding that God is an illusion?  Or wondering if all religion is an illusion, but eventually being reassured?  I dunno.  It's theoretically possible, though.

I think this idea can work.. we will see.

Another view could be, james and myung have a couple of song on the album.. so maybe their lyrics are not completely related to JP's theme, so maybe this two songs are from james/myung and therefor be left alone of the others and maybe that is why the are the last two songs.

Offline Aniland