Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 483007 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Not buying this.

(probably wasn't going to anyway)

I really don't see that as a great attitude. I mean there are amazing albums I think have bad titles and vice versa, can't judge a book by its cover etc.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Under a Glass Moon? sounds SO dumb but we all know it's a fantastic fantastic song. Queen released "A Night at the Opera" Out of context, that is weird and strange sounding.

I think that Under A Glass Moon is a fantastic title.  :S  And we do have some context - we know the situation with MP, and we know that this title seems to blatantly reference it.

Also, welcome!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Aniland

Not buying this.

(probably wasn't going to anyway)

I really don't see that as a great attitude. I mean there are amazing albums I think have bad titles and vice versa, can't judge a book by its cover etc.

Agreed. Not buying an album because you don't like its title is... asinine.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
So uh, guys, do you think the shows will be labeled "A Dramatic Tour of Events"?

No, "This is the Tour"

It's literal, that's why

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
So Aniland, according to the bet you made, The Shaman's Trance will be the most lauded song on the album
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
im gonna be sneaking on my iphone tomorow like every 10 minutes to see the DT homepage.

Ill be at a girl scout camp making benches for a united way charity thing my work is sponsoring

Offline Aniland

So uh, guys, do you think the shows will be labeled "A Dramatic Tour of Events"?

No, "This is the Tour"

It's literal, that's why

Oh, like the song "This is the Life". I get it.

Offline Aniland

So Aniland, according to the bet you made, The Shaman's Trance will be the most lauded song on the album

Fuck.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Lost Not Forgotten is actually about Tarja.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020

Fuck.
Actually, I kind of think you maybe close. Sounds like it may be an instrumental
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni

Fuck.

At least I'm not the only one eating my words.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline dongringo

The Shaman's Trance sounds so much like an instrumental with world fusion elements.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Lost Not Forgotten is actually about Tarja.

In the end I'll always love you.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
The Count of Tuscany was fucking AMAZING, I don't see why people would be upset about The Shaman's Trance.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have a feeling that The Shaman's Trance will be a crazy instrumental showcasing the ridiculous musicianship of all the members.

Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Complaining about titles is ridiculous. Through Her Eyes? Fatal Tragedy? Any song off of that album? Learning to Live? Are any of you really that surprised?

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
The Count of Tuscany was fucking AMAZING, I don't see why people would be upset about The Shaman's Trance.

Exactly...TCOT is a top 5 DT song for me. This band still has it, and I am more than excited to hear how the shake-up will affect the music.

Edit:
Complaining about titles is ridiculous. Through Her Eyes? Fatal Tragedy? Any song off of that album? Learning to Live? Are any of you really that surprised?

This is a smart woman speaking. Very valid points. :lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I for one am excited about this album now and the tracks sound really cool! The first track kind of sounds like Neil Peart wrote it. I don't know why, but I feel like the album will be lighter musically. And now it's obvious that MP will be brought up on this album
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Learning to Live?

I guess I'm in some minority of people who like song titles that everyone else hates.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ddtonfire

Yeah ADTOE!

Offline dongringo

I'm very happy with the album and song titles. I'm more intrigued than ever now. It's just sound so different than anything before.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Learning to Live?

I guess I'm in some minority of people who like song titles that everyone else hates.

Oh, don't take me wrong. I don't have any issues with any names of songs. They are what they are and I couldn't do any better thats for sure! It's just DT songs and album names are always a tad cliche, corny, or expected in my eyes I guess.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I think album title and track titles are great. They seem more "honest" rather than trying hard not to be cliche or out-of-the-blue whilst being epic/original etc. I'm stoked.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
What if its a concept album about the last 9 months in the band's lives? :o

On the backs of Angels - represents their previous happiness about their lives after recording BC&SL, this is just the last 5 minutes of TCOT replayed over again to get people in a good mood about the album
Build me up, break me down - MP calls them all into have a discussion, leading them on to think he has some great news, such as he won't be doing growls anymore, (the band members spirits are lifted by this news!) but then tells them hes leaving (break me down). the band is devestated. the first half of this song will feature very happy music (even voice samples of MP's ANTR vocals in the background), before fading off to a slow moving ballad.
Lost not forgotten - A ballad about Mike and all they had been through, shows the band members dissapointment about him leaving. features JM singing, starting off with some slow remorseful singing, before we know it he is belting out screams remiscent of Rob Halford in Painkiller
This is the life - a song in the vain of "Friday" by RB, this shows the "partyin" lifestyle of the band (after their divorce with Mike, they went out to heaps of clubs and got drunk every night and stuff). Features some terrible lyrics, this is the single of the album. Gets wide radio play and causes DT to break through into the mainstream.
The shaman's trance - The band decides to have auditions, however no-one shows up so the Wizard must put a trance on MM, forcing him to be the bands new drummer. A dark scary song with some tribal chanting
Outcry - after announcing MP, much of the fanbase is devestated by the news. There is global rioting, some cities are burned to the ground. This isn't so much a "song" as a recording of angry protesters shouting curses on the streets, accompanied by a music video filmed by JP from his window
Far from heaven - a slow depressing song, basically the band are depressed and basically just dunno what to do next
Breaking all illusions(intro track)/beneath the surface - With rioters taking over the world in some kind of apocalypse, the band (just the 4 guys, as MM had been captured and sacrificed in outcry) gather together in a room to say their goodbyes to each other. Then, they realise what they truly are "beneath the human surface". breaking their illusions as humans, they transform into their alternate personalities, raging through the streets of new york. The Bear, the ninja, the wizard and the pirate rampage through the streets, killing innocent civilians, before finally the crowd realises they can't win and the fighting stops. this track is an epic, very heavy and dark, featuring Mikeal Akerfeldt (thats why he doesn't want growls on heritage, he put his everything into this track and never wants to hear another growl in his life).

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
It's def official
https://www.dreamtheater.net/news_dreamtheater.php#adtoe

I actually really really really like the album title and the song titles.

SEPTEMBER IS GOING TO BE EPIC! :corn :corn :corn

Offline dongringo

I think album title and track titles are great. They seem more "honest" rather than trying hard not to be cliche or out-of-the-blue whilst being epic/original etc. I'm stoked.

^ Yes, this makes total sense. "Honest" is the world for it. More straight forward than anything in awhile, for the most part. I'm also stoked.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
What if its a concept album about the last 9 months in the band's lives? :o

(plus the rest of the post)

I love you.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠

let's let the disappointment roll

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
I for one am excited about this album now and the tracks sound really cool! The first track kind of sounds like Neil Peart wrote it. I don't know why, but I feel like the album will be lighter musically. And now it's obvious that MP will be brought up on this album

I was thinking the same thing, as far as NP goes.  A few of the song titles made me think of RUSH.

Offline Aniland

Probably because of Clockwork Angels.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2011, 10:52:04 PM »
img

:lol
Sounds like a lametastic party

Offline darkshot

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2011, 10:52:26 PM »
Yeah the song titles remind me of some of the recent Rush song names, but also they seem like they could be songs from the WDADU era for some reason...  Beneath the Surface and Breaking All Illusions especially.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »

Just in case, I'd like everyone to know that is NOT the actual album cover.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
IMG

Just in case, I'd like everyone to know that is NOT the actual album cover.

:rollin
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2011, 10:53:53 PM »
Thank God. haha.

The first thing I said when I saw that picture was "What the fuck?!" :censored
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies