Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 482963 times)

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2011, 03:53:43 AM »
Yeah, the album title is a bit corny, not very creative... but hey it's just a title. The music will be awesome, as always.
My prediction is that Thomas Ewerhard is gonna do the artwork... and i'm sure he will do a great job at it , love his work.

Maybe I'll give it a shot at it very soon...   ;)

Steve

What makes you think that Steve?  ;)  :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2011, 03:53:45 AM »

Maybe I'll give it a shot at it very soon...   ;)

Steve

DO IT
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2011, 04:06:43 AM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

People don't like "A Dramatic Turn of Events?"

Ah well, minority of one.

Also, get ready on the acronyms. ADToE! Feat. OTBoA, BMUBMD (what a title!), LNF, TitL (its title is TitL! Brilliant), TST, Outcry, FFH, BAI, BTS. Where's that fella with the fantasy novel?

Outcry and Bring Me Up, Break Me Down are definitely my favourite titles. BMUBMD sounds like it could've been on the Cleaning Out the Closet CD; it's in the same sort of vein as "Where Are You Now?," "Don't Look Past Me," "The Way It Used to Be," et al. Bit of an odd title, but dead cool.

Also, while The Shaman's Trance is the weakest title, it does make me excited for the music within.

EDIT: Ah! No. Just seen the last page. Real Pasta likes it to. Ohhhh, the awakening of ReapwebStER comes closer and closer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:14:54 AM by robwebster »

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2011, 04:08:43 AM »
Yeah, the album title is a bit corny, not very creative... but hey it's just a title. The music will be awesome, as always.
My prediction is that Thomas Ewerhard is gonna do the artwork... and i'm sure he will do a great job at it , love his work.

Maybe I'll give it a shot at it very soon...   ;)

Steve

What makes you think that Steve?  ;)  :)

Mike was very involved in the artwork and he had a very good relationsship with Hugh Syme (he made the last 4 DT album covers).
I think Thomas made all artwork for James Labrie's soloalbums, including the Keep It to Yourself and MullMuzzler 2.
So my guess is he will get the job... just a hunch.  ;)  

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2011, 04:36:15 AM »
I looked at Thomas Ewerhard's list of artwork.  :omg:

He has done some incredible pieces of artwork. Just go to his website and take a look at it.  :metal
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2011, 04:54:28 AM »
Put the music from Images and Words or Awake behind those songs titles and album name and they suddenly dont look as bad as everyone is making out  ;)

This album is going to be unreal and anyone who disagrees is on the 'DT expectation level is unrealistically high' bandwagon.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2011, 04:55:36 AM »
I looked at Thomas Ewerhard's list of artwork.  :omg:

He has done some incredible pieces of artwork. Just go to his website and take a look at it.  :metal
Ewerhard made LaBrie, Dominici, Spock's Beard, Eden's Curse... Dream Theater is the missing one only here ;)
edit:  :omg: what a t-shirts!!! definitly the best I've ever seen!!!

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2011, 05:05:36 AM »
I looked at Thomas Ewerhard's list of artwork.  :omg:

He has done some incredible pieces of artwork. Just go to his website and take a look at it.  :metal
Ewerhard made LaBrie, Dominici, Spock's Beard, Eden's Curse... Dream Theater is the missing one only here ;)
edit:  :omg: what a t-shirts!!! definitly the best I've ever seen!!!

Yeah, Ewerhard is an awesome designer... he's more extreme and grungy than Syme.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2011, 05:07:25 AM »
Oh my God is this real? I just woke up and read that rumor thread first and it all escalated from there!

I just Mangini'd so hardcore.

Not sure about the album title yet. It doesn't seem to roll off the tongue so well, but I can get used to it. The song titles are awesome, and sound a lot less metal and more prog to me, except maybe This is The Life, that one just sounds strange.

So excited.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2011, 05:15:02 AM »
Whenever I think of 'This Is The Life', it reminds me of the Foo Fighters song 'Ain't It The Life' (if you haven't heard it, Youtube it). And this is a good thing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2011, 05:18:24 AM »
Just occurred to me...

A Dramatic Tour of Events.

Inevitable, or too silly?

Alternatively, A Dramatic Tour of the World or A Dramatic Tour of the Universe or, perhaps, A Dramatic Tour of Europe / the US / Asia, etc.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2011, 05:19:19 AM »
Why don't people like the title?

1. It's a cliche.  To me, album titles should have at least some semblance of originality.  Whereas this title is a phrase which has appeared in a billion oldschool mystery novels.  I wouldn't mind if they included it as a line in a song somewhere, but to title the whole album that?  It's just weak to me.
2. I was personally hoping DT11 wouldn't be drenched in MP references, and it seems to me that the title indicates it will be.  The idea that they coincidentally came up with this title without thinking of the drummer switch is too big a coincidence for me to swallow.
3. It seems to scream, 'Hey, look at us, we're moving in a new direction!"  If they are moving in a new direction, good for them, but... like, I also wouldn't like an album called 'Really Good Stuff.'  Sure, I'd like an album to contain really good stuff, but I don't want the title to scream so obviously about it. 

It probably doesn't help that cool titles like Geometry of the Void were being discussed on DTF, either.  I had high expectations.

And for the record, I don't have any problems with the song titles themselves.  Except track 2.

I really don't mind any of that, DT can name their albums whatever they want, and sing about whatever they want. If they feel the need to sing about MP there's nothing wrong with that, since they were in the middle of it and actually have feelings to express. Fans are just, as always, worrying about whether it's fair or in good taste, which is completely inconsequential, because drama is what makes things interesting.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:40 AM »
Anyone else think the album title lends itself perfectly to a killer stage setup and video show?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2011, 05:22:10 AM »
Whenever I think of 'This Is The Life', it reminds me of the Foo Fighters song 'Ain't It The Life' (if you haven't heard it, Youtube it). And this is a good thing.

It reminds me of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRYvuS9OxdA
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2011, 05:22:31 AM »

1. It's a cliche.  To me, album titles should have at least some semblance of originality.  Whereas this title is a phrase which has appeared in a billion oldschool mystery novels.  I wouldn't mind if they included it as a line in a song somewhere, but to title the whole album that?  It's just weak to me.
2. I was personally hoping DT11 wouldn't be drenched in MP references, and it seems to me that the title indicates it will be.  The idea that they coincidentally came up with this title without thinking of the drummer switch is too big a coincidence for me to swallow.
3. It seems to scream, 'Hey, look at us, we're moving in a new direction!"  If they are moving in a new direction, good for them, but... like, I also wouldn't like an album called 'Really Good Stuff.'  Sure, I'd like an album to contain really good stuff, but I don't want the title to scream so obviously about it. 

It probably doesn't help that cool titles like Geometry of the Void were being discussed on DTF, either.  I had high expectations.

And for the record, I don't have any problems with the song titles themselves.  Except track 2.

I really don't mind any of that, DT can name their albums whatever they want, and sing about whatever they want. If they feel the need to sing about MP there's nothing wrong with that, since they were in the middle of it and actually have feelings to express. Fans are just, as always, worrying about whether it's fair or in good taste, which is completely inconsequential, because drama is what makes things interesting.

For what it's worth, "Geometry of the Void" is an awful, awful title.

No offence to anyone who came up with it, but seriously - completely meaningless, it's just a list of "cool" words. It sounds like a twelve year old writing sci-fi. Or an Italian power metal band trying to write a song in the style of Dream Theater. They've never used titles like that - Octavarium's the closest, and that was taken from a classical text.

Helix of the Universe. Vibrant Trigonometry. Palpitations of a Human Heart. Anyone can come up with jargon and call it a title.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »
 There was no way to remove this album from the events surrounding it.
I don't know. What about just ignoring the whole MP situation? Maybe it was emotionally difficult, but nobody's forcing them to include any references in the album.

I don't like the tittle, but it's just that, it shouldn't matter. I remember everybody being really excited about SC's song tittles that sounded so badass, heavy and dark (The Ministry of Lost Souls, In the Presence of Enemies, The Dark Eternal Night), predicting that In Constant Motion was their new instrumental, etc., and being disappointed when they heard the music. Almost every expectation formed at this stage is bound to be proven wrong.

I'm on the camp of those who don't expect any significant departure from the last albums, but that's not bad by any means. I enjoy the album for the music it contains and not by comparing it with what the band produced before.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2011, 05:31:05 AM »

For what it's worth, "Geometry of the Void" is an awful, awful title.

No offence to anyone who came up with it, but seriously - completely meaningless, it's just a list of "cool" words. It sounds like a twelve year old writing sci-fi. Or an Italian power metal band trying to write a song in the style of Dream Theater. They've never used titles like that - Octavarium's the closest, and that was taken from a classical text.

Helix of the Universe. Vibrant Trigonometry. Palpitations of a Human Heart. Anyone can come up with jargon and call it a title.

Agreed, although titles like that DO work for some genres. I would see Pagan's Mind or maybe something like Spastic Ink have an album name like that, and I wouldn't mind it one bit. DT have always been about more down-to-earth issues, though how awesome would it be if they made a sci-fi concept album? :D

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2011, 05:34:06 AM »
I don't want to read too much into it, but all the press releases, including the one below make me think that we might see some kind of departure from their recent style.

(New York, NY): The recent announcement that Mike Mangini would be joining Dream Theater, replacing departed drummer Mike Portnoy caused such fanfare that  Mangini was a trending topic on Twitter, second only to England's Royal Wedding. Now, the band is revealing more information about their upcoming album. The new album is titled A Dramatic Turn of Events. The much-anticipated platter, which marks Mangini's recorded debut, will be released via Roadrunner Records on September 13th and will be supported by a massive world tour.

"I'm incredibly psyched with the way this album came out and can't wait to share it with everybody," guitarist John Petrucci, who also serves as the producer for A Dramatic Turn of Events, said. "We are currently in the mix stage with the great Andy Wallace and it's all sounding amazing!"

"We have poured our hearts and minds into the creation of this album," keyboardist Jordan Rudess offered. "All the life changing events that surrounded us before,  as well as during the whole process, fueled our desire to dig deep within ourselves and create the best music we possibly could."

Vocalist James LaBrie said, "In the grand scheme of Dream Theater's career, the last several months have been such an incredibly positive, fulfilling and rewarding experience. The new songs and sound has never been so spirited or rejuvenating. I cannot wait for every one of our fans to sink their audio senses into this batch of tunes."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2011, 05:37:14 AM »
I don't want to read too much into it, but all the press releases, including the one below make me think that we might see some kind of departure from their recent style.

Vocalist James LaBrie said, "In the grand scheme of Dream Theater's career, the last several months have been such an incredibly positive, fulfilling and rewarding experience. The new songs and sound has never been so spirited or rejuvenating. I cannot wait for every one of our fans to sink their audio senses into this batch of tunes."

How poetic ;)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2011, 05:39:54 AM »
Cool. Not too sure about the title "The Shaman’s Trance" though.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2011, 05:40:06 AM »
The titles suggest an album full of Raise the Knives - in the subject matter sense.

Also, get ready on the acronyms. ADToE! Feat. OTBoA, BMUBMD (what a title!), LNF, TitL (its title is TitL! Brilliant), TST, Outcry, FFH, BAI, BTS. Where's that fella with the fantasy novel?

All we need now is FFS.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2011, 05:49:29 AM »
Ohhhh, the awakening of ReapwebStER comes closer and closer.

Now I'm really excited :caffeine:

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2011, 05:54:09 AM »
To be honest, I love it. Can't wait for it. Hate to use a meme, BUT-

Hater's gonna hate.

I have a feeling that most of the people who don't like the tracklisting and album name would have been unhappy with anything they did. I also argue that it is VERY original for Dream Theater.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2011, 05:56:52 AM »
Snapple knows what's up  :tup

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2011, 05:58:36 AM »
Love it! Can't wait to hear it! I haven't been this excited for a DT album since Six Degrees. My only hope is that they have one song related to the MP mess and then move on to other topics. And the Shaman's Trance better be as good as TCOT turned out to be! :)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2011, 05:59:33 AM »
I also argue that it is VERY original for Dream Theater.

I fully agree with this, which is the reason why I'm so intrigued by this. As I said before, it drifts away a bit from the names that we had with SC and BCASL, and I love it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2011, 06:20:23 AM »

(New York, NY): The recent announcement that Mike Mangini would be joining Dream Theater, replacing departed drummer Mike Portnoy caused such fanfare that  Mangini was a trending topic on Twitter, second only to England's Royal Wedding. Now, the band is revealing more information about their upcoming album. The new album is titled A Dramatic Turn of Events. The much-anticipated platter, which marks Mangini's recorded debut, will be released via Roadrunner Records on September 13th and will be supported by a massive world tour.

"I'm incredibly psyched with the way this album came out and can't wait to share it with everybody," guitarist John Petrucci, who also serves as the producer for A Dramatic Turn of Events, said. "We are currently in the mix stage with the great Andy Wallace and it's all sounding amazing!"

"We have poured our hearts and minds into the creation of this album," keyboardist Jordan Rudess offered. "All the life changing events that surrounded us before,  as well as during the whole process, fueled our desire to dig deep within ourselves and create the best music we possibly could."

Interesting. What are the things that call your attention that could bring new things to the album? (besides the obvious MP departure). To me, it sounds exactly like what every band in the world says about their upcoming album.

Hey, everything reminds me of the time before SC was released. JLB said something like "the vocals are done, this is the most fun I had recording vocals since Awake" (that was on the DVD, too). Again, people were expecting a lot from that, even a return to the style of Awake (guácala), JLB in top form, etc. Alas, it didn't happen. Again, I'm sure I'll like the album, but nothing affects my expectations before actually listening to the music.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2011, 06:33:27 AM »
^^ Which is why I don't want to read too much into it, but the quotes from JR and JLB are a little different from the standard "I'm so excited for everyone to hear this".

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »
If I keep hopes that the new album will suck, then when I get it, and I love it, I will not be let down.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »
I don't care much for the album title but frankly I don't really care in general.  I just want the music itself to be good.  Cannot wait for tomorrow.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline John94

« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2011, 06:41:27 AM »
9 songs = nice.

The title and the songs sound slightly concepty to me.

Looking forward to hearing it. Shaman's Trance sounds so cool.

Edit: Yeah, I meant 9. Convinced one is instrumental though *saves face*   ;)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »
^9 songs, you mean?

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2011, 06:42:47 AM »
I don't care much for the album title but frankly I don't really care in general.  I just want the music itself to be good.  Cannot wait for tomorrow.

What's gonna happen tomorrow?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »
The Shamans Trance, could have JM lyrics. Also, its a great title, and sounds like it'll be amazing. Better than Lost Not Forgotten, that sounds like a single. But either way I'm happy we got titles.

Now we wait for the 13th of September.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD