Author Topic: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed  (Read 482987 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: New Album Title (A Dramatic Turn of Events) and Track Listing Revealed
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2011, 12:41:16 AM »
If it weren't for the obvious reference to Portnoy leaving there'd probably be more "oh, ok" reactions.

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2011, 12:45:37 AM »
Maybe there is some sort of a concept idea behind the album, not a story but still songs on the same subject or something. When I look into the titles more closely, I think there's something in common between the themes they may represent. If that's the case, the album title will make sense on its own too, not just point to MP's departure.

Online Mladen

« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2011, 12:47:50 AM »
I find the album title very cheesy, I didn't believe for a second that they would actually refer to Portnoy's leaving in the album title. Nice to see that we have song titles as well, they are just fine, and nine songs sounds good.

I have no doubt that the album is gonna kick some serious ass.  :metal

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2011, 12:50:19 AM »
Why don't people like the title?

1. It's a cliche.  To me, album titles should have at least some semblance of originality.  Whereas this title is a phrase which has appeared in a billion oldschool mystery novels.  I wouldn't mind if they included it as a line in a song somewhere, but to title the whole album that?  It's just weak to me.
2. I was personally hoping DT11 wouldn't be drenched in MP references, and it seems to me that the title indicates it will be.  The idea that they coincidentally came up with this title without thinking of the drummer switch is too big a coincidence for me to swallow.
3. It seems to scream, 'Hey, look at us, we're moving in a new direction!"  If they are moving in a new direction, good for them, but... like, I also wouldn't like an album called 'Really Good Stuff.'  Sure, I'd like an album to contain really good stuff, but I don't want the title to scream so obviously about it. 

It probably doesn't help that cool titles like Geometry of the Void were being discussed on DTF, either.  I had high expectations.

And for the record, I don't have any problems with the song titles themselves.  Except track 2.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2011, 12:58:56 AM »
*snip*

let's let the disappointment roll

Just in case, I'd like everyone to know that is NOT the actual album cover.

yeah it is, that's portnoy falling from the tree

it's symbolic

Chris, you never cease to make me laugh. :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2011, 01:03:59 AM »
Wow, when I first read about this title and track listing, I thought for sure it was fake. But now to have it confirmed by JP...eh, I don't know. It doesn't really matter to me since it's the music I care about, I'd listen to something I like regardless of its title or the name of the album it appeared on. This just seems to me to be milking the fact that Mike left more. Okay, he left, it was a big deal, but does the next album have to reference it? Especially when it has to be their most uninspired and uninteresting album title to date.

Also, some of the track titles...again, doesn't matter to me if the songs are actually good, but really, some of these are cheesy even by power metal standards. On The Backs of Angels and The Shaman's Trance especially. Though now I think about it, probably not much worse than The Count of Tuscany or The Best of Times or A Nightmare To Remember, so perhaps I am overreacting.

Still, album should kick ass no matter what it's called. Hopefully. :metal

Offline j

« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2011, 01:13:04 AM »
Wow I seriously cannot believe this is real.

While I figured there would be some reference to the Portnoy situation somewhere on the album, personally I'd have liked it to be subtle and kept to a minimum.  And while we don't necessarily know that the album title and some of the song titles are referring to that, some of 'em do sound kinda heavy-handed.

That said, it's definitely different for DT, and that's what I hoped for so far!

-J

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2011, 01:13:04 AM »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:23 AM »
 :lol  :rollin :rollin :lol

I can't stop laughing, especially Myung
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2011, 01:17:10 AM »
If this is true, I love it. The song titles are really unusual compared to what they were called on the more recent releases, but it doesn't matter to me. The album title... Well, it might be indeed a nod to MP's departure, and it sounds a bit cliché'd, but I'm not one who thinks an album is worse because of a rather uninteresting title.

Also, a concept album can't be ruled imo (which isn't what I've been hoping for), but I'm still excited about it nonetheless.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2011, 01:24:05 AM »
Wow, I didn't imagine they'd release the album's details THIS soon! :omg: The titles don't really impress me, but hopefully the music itself will.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »

:hefdaddy
That is so awesome, I was laughing for 5 minutes, literally!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Anyway, now I'm very excited about new album!! Album title has JP vibe don't you think so? Titles are good, maybe Build Me Up Break Me Down has no DT vibe at all, but it could be great song anyway. The last two seems be epic, also The Shaman's Trance and Outcry. I'm ok with Shaman's to be instrumental. God I'm so excited!!! I hope we will get cover tomorrow!!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2011, 01:33:41 AM »
*pic*

:hefdaddy
That is so awesome, I was laughing for 5 minutes, literally!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Anyway, now I'm very excited about new album!! Album title has JP vibe don't you think so? Titles are good, maybe Build Me Up Break Me Down has no DT vibe at all, but it could be great song anyway. The last two seems be epic, also The Shaman's Trance and Outcry. I'm ok with Shaman's to be instrumental. God I'm so excited!!! I hope we will get cover tomorrow!!!!

Thanks!  ;D

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2011, 01:37:51 AM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhh Titles are awesome!!!  Please artwork today :D and that picture is awesome hahhhaha  :rollin :rollin

Offline Aniland

« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2011, 01:38:45 AM »
I'm calling it now: the album art will have a man in a library, lit by candles.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2011, 01:40:30 AM »
I'm calling it now: the album art will have a man in a library, lit by candles.
Wow, that woud be awesome...  :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2011, 01:42:30 AM »
I bet that Build Me Up, Break Me Down will be the first single...

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:05 AM »
My two cents, for what its worth, re the discussion on concept albums; I get the feeling based on the album title and track list that it is more of a "themed" album along the lines of BC&SL. The title is a bit cliche, but some of the track names have me excited thats for sure.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2011, 01:46:07 AM »
I know the lyrics aren't too similar, but for some reason the first thing I thought of when I read the title Build Me Up Break Me Down was the song Coco Jamboo. :facepalm: YA YA YEAH

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2011, 01:49:52 AM »
Build Me Up Break Me Down will be the new Status Seeker.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Re: "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Official Thread
« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2011, 02:07:33 AM »
"Stay tuned on DT.net tomorrow morning"

Give it until at least Friday then  ::)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2011, 02:16:22 AM »

Explain please.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2011, 02:18:35 AM »
Oh wow, news. I don't really know what to expect based on titles alone, but I'm very interested to see what they come up with tomorrow morning.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2011, 02:29:11 AM »
New album and song-titles has actually gotten me a bit more psyched about this album.
Yes, this certainly seems like something quite different from the latest releases, and seeing as I haven't fully enjoyed an album of theirs since 6DOIT/ToT, this is fairly interesting for me at least. :)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2011, 02:29:54 AM »

Explain please.

Eddie Trunk said so :neverusethis:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2011, 02:30:41 AM »
Interesting news. I don't mind the title though. I wonder what kind of album it will be.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mariocalin

• spanish fan
« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2011, 02:39:43 AM »
How can you judge the Album with only the name of the songs? You don´t even have heard the songs so, wait for the music and then we will be able to judge. Now we can´t
The story ends where it began

https://myspace.com/mariobandmurcia

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2011, 02:52:58 AM »
This album has now been made 10 times more difficult for MP to comment on. I kind of just thought about that
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2011, 02:54:16 AM »
The Title:  A Dramatic Turn of Events - I actually love it.  There was no way to remove this album from the events surrounding it.  So rather than get over poetic and lyrical or up their own asses they just went for something simple, to the point, and a little whimsical.  They couldn't have made "Shit Happens" the title, but this gives me the same feeling.

1. On the Backs of Angels - Oh my god is that a song title.  This better be a great song or it's a huge waste of a name.
2. Build Me Up, Break Me Down / 3. Lost Not Forgotten - These are fine.  Could be melodrama, or they could be just cool songs.  I still feel positive.
4. This is the Life - I feel some exuberance here.  Or maybe it will be ironic.  Very nice.
5. The Shaman’s Trance - I don't know exactly why but I really want to hear a song with this name.  Bring it on.
6. Outcry / 7. Far From Heaven - Maybe they aren't the most unique phrases/ideas ever, but these are titles of song's I'd like to hear DT's take on.
8. Breaking All Illusions - This just seems like it could be cool.
9. Beneath The Surface - Like six and seven, a DT track specifically with this title appeals to me.

Overall - Like a couple other people have posted, I really enjoy how... different this feels.  Between 8vm, SC, BCSL, and now ADTOE (w00t with the abbreviation), this might be the most excited I've been about a tracklisting.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2011, 03:04:32 AM »
Great surprise! I should stop reading DTF posts :-) I was excited like hell when I saw the album and track titles and now I'm much less. :-)

I like it that they refer to the dramatic turn of events that we witnessed. Of course I'd not be very happy to hear lyrics like this though

"Oh Mike we're missing you so much,
why did you ever leave?
We'll never, never ever forget you,
all those good times we played together,
oh Mike,
oh Mike,
our Mike..."

Offline SDFprowler

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2011, 03:18:27 AM »
I really don't think it matters AT ALL what the songs are called without hearing any of the actual music, but it's nice to get some info about the new album.  Totally stoked about Myung writing lyrics again.

Also, within reason you can find any meaning you want in a word or a phrase.  Though the album title obviously and totally fits the whole situation with Mike, it doesn't necessarily have to do with him at all.

Also also, I like the song title Outcry.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2011, 03:23:39 AM »
The Title:  A Dramatic Turn of Events - I actually love it.  There was no way to remove this album from the events surrounding it.  So rather than get over poetic and lyrical or up their own asses they just went for something simple, to the point, and a little whimsical.  They couldn't have made "Shit Happens" the title, but this gives me the same feeling.

1. On the Backs of Angels - Oh my god is that a song title.  This better be a great song or it's a huge waste of a name.
2. Build Me Up, Break Me Down / 3. Lost Not Forgotten - These are fine.  Could be melodrama, or they could be just cool songs.  I still feel positive.
4. This is the Life - I feel some exuberance here.  Or maybe it will be ironic.  Very nice.
5. The Shaman’s Trance - I don't know exactly why but I really want to hear a song with this name.  Bring it on.
6. Outcry / 7. Far From Heaven - Maybe they aren't the most unique phrases/ideas ever, but these are titles of song's I'd like to hear DT's take on.
8. Breaking All Illusions - This just seems like it could be cool.
9. Beneath The Surface - Like six and seven, a DT track specifically with this title appeals to me.

Overall - Like a couple other people have posted, I really enjoy how... different this feels.  Between 8vm, SC, BCSL, and now ADTOE (w00t with the abbreviation), this might be the most excited I've been about a tracklisting.

Once again, a terrific post by ReaP. I especially agree on OTBOA being a killer song title. I also love Far From Heaven.
I don't know, but I get a really "atmospheric" feel from reading some of the song titles. Of course, any assumption on how it will actually sound is moot, but I can definitely imagine OTBOA having some sort of an ambient intro.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2011, 03:47:30 AM »
Yeah, the album title is a bit corny, not very creative... but hey it's just a title. The music will be awesome, as always.
My prediction is that Thomas Ewerhard is gonna do the artwork... and i'm sure he will do a great job at it , love his work.

Maybe I'll give it a shot at it very soon...   ;)

Steve