Author Topic: Objectivity vs Subjectivity In Music  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Objectivity vs Subjectivity In Music
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 08:17:25 AM »
I do think there's a difference in the words 'favorite' and 'best', but as some others have stated, I don't think there's any objectivity when it comes to music.
You can't really find an album that everyone loves, much because some people will always dislike it.
Anyhow, I always try to use the word 'favorite' when I talk about my own opinions, I feel like 'best' is a word based on facts, and when it comes to music it's all opinions mostly.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
Music is objectively subjective.

Actually, this demonstrates the huge flaw in strict relativism, or claiming that anything is *purely* subjective.  When you claim that, you implicitly state that your own claim that it is subjective, is also subjective.

Anyway, the "objective" components to music are things like the notes being played, the beats and rhythms, etc.  Simple statements of fact that can be made and (for all practical purposes) are basically indisputable.

ANYTHING to do with perceived "quality" of music (i.e. this is good or bad, this is better than that, etc.) is subjective.  Period.  If there is a distinction between your favorite album by a band and the one you think is the "best", that is a distinction between two of your subjective opinions, not between an opinion and a fact.

-J
I agree with your post entirely, it's my fault for not saying "quality" of music, but actually that was implied in the context of the thread. Your last paragraph makes me point for me.

Offline j

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
Music is objectively subjective.

Actually, this demonstrates the huge flaw in strict relativism, or claiming that anything is *purely* subjective.  When you claim that, you implicitly state that your own claim that it is subjective, is also subjective.

Anyway, the "objective" components to music are things like the notes being played, the beats and rhythms, etc.  Simple statements of fact that can be made and (for all practical purposes) are basically indisputable.

ANYTHING to do with perceived "quality" of music (i.e. this is good or bad, this is better than that, etc.) is subjective.  Period.  If there is a distinction between your favorite album by a band and the one you think is the "best", that is a distinction between two of your subjective opinions, not between an opinion and a fact.

-J
I agree with your post entirely, it's my fault for not saying "quality" of music, but actually that was implied in the context of the thread. Your last paragraph makes me point for me.

I figured that's what you were getting at with your post. :tup

-J

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
Something I feel like mentioning: I don't think subjectivity should completely shut down discussion or disagreement of artist/band/song quality. It's frustrating when people use it as a defense.

"It's my opinion."

"No shit, Sherlock."

Offline OskarSluring

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
Something I feel like mentioning: I don't think subjectivity should completely shut down discussion or disagreement of artist/band/song quality. It's frustrating when people use it as a defense.

"It's my opinion."

"No shit, Sherlock."
A direct reaction of a post i made in another thread :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »

"It's my opinion."

"No shit, Sherlock."
Agreed to an extent, but it gets used because some people can come across as very arrogant in the way they express their opinion, to the point of it sounding like they are stating it as fact.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
If someone says they like, say, Brokencyde, I'll probably say something like "You must be their number 1 fan!", which is a statement of my opinion, an assurance of theirs, and a joke, all in one sentence.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »

"It's my opinion."

"No shit, Sherlock."
Agreed to an extent, but it gets used because some people can come across as very arrogant in the way they express their opinion, to the point of it sounding like they are stating it as fact.

Though around these parts that's more a problem with the person interpreting a post wrong than the person stating the opinion. Claiming someone is trying to state something as a fact is seemingly used a last minute retort when someone has a problem with a post but can't quite come up with anything meaningful to combat it.