Author Topic: Metropolis Part III?  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Dream_Theater01

Metropolis Part III?
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »
Recently, I've been listening to "Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory" and I was thinking about a possible pt. 3.  Does anyone think it's a possibility, or is it a bad idea?  I think it would be a good idea, if they wish to continue the story.  Thoughts?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Metropolis Part III?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
The story is over, there is no possibility for Metrop Pt. 3. Everyone died. It's the opposite of A Nightmare to Remember.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
Well, story-wise it's possible.  (With reincarnation in the picture, you can always just pick up with a later incarnation of the characters.)  But, while I think it could be kinda cool to have another "bookend" for the set, I highly doubt they'll ever do it.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »
They could carry on via reincarnation. But to what end? The story was told in part 2. There's not really much more to tell.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
I was talking with a friend about this the other day and I came up with a story that could work:

Victoria and Nicholas come back as ghosts to haunt the hypnotist.  ;D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
Everyone died. It's the opposite of A Nightmare to Remember.
:lol

But yeah, that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
The story is over, there is no possibility for Metrop Pt. 3. Everyone died. It's the opposite of A Nightmare to Remember.

Dreadful ending...

As for myself

if DT11 is being Metropolis Pt.3 , I will chew and eat my jaw.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind if that was the case. I doubt they'd make a Metropolis pt. 3 album but a song (like pt.2 was initially going to be) would be cool

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
I really, really hope not.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »
I'm torn. 

See, I'd like to see it if they did it well.  If they nailed it like they did with SFAM, I'd be thrilled to hear it.

But I'm skeptical about whether or not they actually could do it well.  I'm afraid it would suffer from concept-album-sequel-syndrome, trying to live up to the quality of SFAM and instead creating a cheap copy. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
Oh jeez, this again?

I really, really, really don't think it will ever happen. Hell, DT were very reluctant about creating a Metropolis Pt. 2, why on earth should they do another part?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:30:46 PM by tri.ad »
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »
i wouldnt be against it if it was good.

but its one of those things where it could be the ablsolute GREATEST album weve ever heard, but there will still be those people who will knock it simply because its not the classic 'metropolis pt. 2'

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 01:28:32 PM »
Hell, DT was very reluctant about creating a Metropolis Pt. 2, why on earth should they do another part?

Because it was wildly successful and is regarded as one of their greatest masterpieces, if not THE greatest by the general public? And they could probably use a sure-fire hit right now in light of recent events?

Still, I highly, highly doubt that they've done something like that...I'm sure we would've heard something secretive from them by now suggesting that a concept album is in the works, especially if it were something as huge as Metropolis III.  Now would not be the time to do something like that anyway, post-Mike.

That doesn't preclude the possibility of it ever happening, though.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
Hell, DT was very reluctant about creating a Metropolis Pt. 2, why on earth should they do another part?

Because it was wildly successful and is regarded as one of their greatest masterpieces, if not THE greatest by the general public? And they could probably use a sure-fire hit right now in light of recent events?

DT never (or very rarely) went by what the general public deemed great in terms of designing albums, concepts, lyrics etc imo, aside from that burning desire for a Metropolis Pt. 2, which was also a bit of an attempt to quiet those who wouldn't shut up about "WHY NO METROPOLIS PT 2?". Also, a "sure-fire hit" wouldn't be the best option right now. DT were at their highest point when they had something to prove, as was the case with Images & Words and SFAM. Now, with MP out of the picture, a new drummer and a change of chemistry in creating music, they have something to prove again, and a Metropolis Pt. 3 album wouldn't quite fit that picture.

Besides, I still think that the band came to a certain conclusion of this whole Metropolis concept with the ending of SFAM. I really don't think that digging it up would achieve anything great.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
They could carry on via reincarnation. But to what end? The story was told in part 2. There's not really much more to tell.

Well, The Miracle is seriously in need of some Karmic retribution.  So, a postscript song where he gets his comeuppance could be cool. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
I could see some form of musical / lyrical reference somewhere down the line... but a full blown part 3? naaah
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »
Let's see...

Metropolis Part 1 - Epic song with instrumental awesomeness
Metropolis Part 2 - Epic concept album
Metropolis Part 3 - _______________

Only if it's a 4-5 minute pop song in the vein of Coldplay/U2/Muse. Just to piss everyone off, but lyrically and musically it'll contain references to Parts 1 and 2.  :lol

Seriously though, I doubt it'll happen. The boys really want a fresh start and will probably distance themselves from sequels/prequels or anything that relates to older material - They had that with the cross-album segues, the 12 Step Suite, and of course SFAM. I think they probably just want to write a great album of prog metal music that is, in itself, great and does not have to references or lean-on past albums/songs for any reason.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »
If they ever wanted to write another concept album like SFAM, they'd probably come up with a new concept

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
As much as I would like this to happen, it will never happen and I don't think they should anyway.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 02:58:42 PM »
Why the need to rehash those musical themes again? They've been done twice, it's enough. They would be doing variations of the variations.
I'd be happy to see another concept album witha different feel somewhere down the line.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »
This is an awful idea.  For the 3,475th time in the last 10 years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
This is an awful idea.  For the 3,475th time in the last 10 years.

:rollin
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
If they wrote a song in the same vain and length as part 1 as a book end of sorts, I'd be down for it if the inspiration to do something musically interesting was there. I'm sure people thought that making a sequel in the first place would be a dumb idea, and perhaps even scoffed at the fact that it would be expanded into an entire concept album. But obviously the end results delighted most fans. I wouldn't knock something of another continuation until I heard it. They stretched the 12 step saga over 5 records (2 too long in my opinion), so obviously they aren't entirely apposed to multi part epics.

Offline xShammas

• SHAAAAMMAAAAAS TAAAAKE MYYY HAAAAND!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »
They would never do it as an album, but maybe as a song. Not on DT11 though. They want to start fresh and establish their new sound first. Still unlikely that they'll ever make it though.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
I wouldn't mind a single song a few albums down the road. Metropolis Part 3 on the tracklist sure would get the fans hyped up :D

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »
I had an idea for a Metropolis part 3 album a while ago. It's a very vague idea because I don't have an imagination to flesh it out to a song-by-song basis, and I'm not sure it would work even if I did, but I thought it was somewhat interesting. So I may aswell go ahead and share it.

Basically, the album wouldn't continue on from part 2 but instead jump back to the early 1930's. The album would follow the efforts of the private eye hired to investigate the murder/suicide of Julian and Victoria. The album would have a very "hard-boiled" detective theme like the comic books from around that time, or films made later, like The Maltese Falcon. For anyone familiar with Bogart's films, the PI would be a very similar character to what he played in a lot of films, but especially The Maltese Falcon. Now before anyone asks, no, the PI is not Julian, and at this point Edward is still alive, so the PI is a completely new character to the story. The PI would have been hired by a mysterious, beautiful young woman (or "dame") who believes that the events of Julian and Victoria's deaths are not understood, and she convinces him to investigate the circumstances of their deaths. Of course, this dame would be an apparition of Victoria - not a reincarnation, since there wasn't enough time for her to be "reborn" yet, as it were, and her mysterious nature would be another ongoing theme for the PI throughout the album, until he eventually figures out she's an apparition. Of course Edward ends up being one of the first people he talks to about it given his relationship with the deceased, and the PI's dealings with him are how he gets the idea he is involved and Edward's plot to thwart his efforts is another ongoing theme throughout the album. Anyway eventually the PI figures out Victoria has come back to try and help him solve the murders, and he figures out that it was Edward, but of course Edward murders the PI before he can do anything about it.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 10:16:09 PM »
people seriously believe there is going to be a metropolis part 3?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 10:31:23 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying they think a part 3 will ever be written. We're just stating whether we like the idea or not.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 10:35:46 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying they think a part 3 will ever be written. We're just stating whether we like the idea or not.

*sigh*

Recently, I've been listening to "Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory" and I was thinking about a possible pt. 3.  Does anyone think it's a possibility, or is it a bad idea?  I think it would be a good idea, if they wish to continue the story.  Thoughts?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 10:40:06 PM »
Regardless of the wording in the original post, most people are simply replying in regard to whether it would be a good idea or not.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »
I'd buy it but my
Expectations would prob drown it

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »
Hopefully they'd pick a better name than Julian and Victoria and expand upon the fact that Edward is a Senator
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 11:27:11 PM »
If DT ever did this, I'd stop listening to DT.  I wouldn't care if it's the best album ever.  I'D STOP LISTENING TO THEM. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 01:40:13 AM »
If DT ever did this, I'd stop listening to DT.  I wouldn't care if it's the best album ever.  I'D STOP LISTENING TO THEM. 
Why would you do this if the album is their best ever? :p

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 02:26:16 AM »
Because Metropolis part 3 would be retarded. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?