Author Topic: Top 100 Albums Collage Challenge  (Read 1047 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Top 100 Albums Collage Challenge
« on: July 22, 2022, 11:15:36 PM »
https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/

I think it's been mentioned 1 or 2 times here and I imagine some have seen these on Social Media or other forums.

I have, but never made like even a non-definitive Top 100 Albums Collage.

So on another forum I noticed some folks doing that, and it was neat to visually see what others included, so I went ahead and made 1.

So, it's pretty simple, You just search the albums and drag them over to the right in the squares. Then once you are done, download and save the image.

Then go to a site to upload your collage, and then just use the Insert Image function.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Top 100 Albums Collage Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 12:07:45 AM »
I'll bite......I've had a top 50 list (well it's actually top 85) for a while now. This has just shown me that I desperately need to update it, but anyway here is my top 100....at least until I get around to updating it  :lol

I think the top 10 would be relatively unchanged if I redid the list. :dunno:

aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 04:17:36 AM »
Fortunately I'd been working on this off and on in the past month or two.  I'm still nowhere near happy with it, but it'll have to do until I kick myself about snubs in oh...five minutes?  The order is pretty loose as well.  One per artist again. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 07:48:35 AM »
I did my Top 50 almost 10 years ago. I'll have to work on this, but this tool is wicked cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »
Fortunately I'd been working on this off and on in the past month or two.  I'm still nowhere near happy with it, but it'll have to do until I kick myself about snubs in oh...five minutes?  The order is pretty loose as well.  One per artist again. 

I know how you feel. I really need to redo my list, since it's been at least 5 years since I put mine together. I also stuck to 1 album per artist.

We have some nice overlap in our lists (Violator, Weather Systems, Lateralus), although I never expected to see Aghora's Formless in someone's top 100. I used to love that album, but it hasn't aged well for me.

Nice to see Blackwater Park at #1. It's an amazing album, although I think Ghost Reveries is just a touch better. October Rust is amazing as well, it was tough for me to choose between that and Life is Killing Me, ultimately went with the latter. Also I feel like Swoon and Carnavas are equally as good, so another coin flip.

Pretty much everything else on your list is amazing too. So much good music out there.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 12:37:43 PM »
I probably will do another version of mine soon too, per there's an extensive list of stuff I keep thinking about that I forgot.

I took all of my 5-star albums on rym, and was left with 45 spots left.

I then looked at the 4.5-star albums and decided to pick 1 album from artists that were not already included, which there were like 53 or something, so I only had to leave off about 8 artists.

But then when looking at my 4-star album list, some of them I actually might update to rate at 4.5 stars now, so it gets more complicated.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 02:38:38 PM »
We have some nice overlap in our lists (Violator, Weather Systems, Lateralus)

Yeah, also In Absentia, Planet of Ice, The Human Equation, Fiction, and Undoing Ruin on yours are ones I at least briefly considered, but had to leave off.  Really wanted something from Devin Townsend as well, but my favorite songs of his are just too evenly spread out, nothing concentrated enough to include. 

I never expected to see Aghora's Formless in someone's top 100. I used to love that album, but it hasn't aged well for me.

Hmm, it's been the opposite for me.  I played the heck out of it the first few years after it came out, but then mostly left it alone for awhile after I had burned out on the technical music scene.  But then the last few years I've gotten back into it, and it's been ascendant again for me.  It still sounds kind of futuristic, no one really ever tried to copy them that I'm aware of, so they're still a pretty singular band.  It's pretty close to tied with the debut.  I like having the Seans as the rhythm section for that whole album, whereas Formless doesn't have Malone, and only Reinert on half the tracks (although their substitutes are stellar in their own right).  But it has a thicker sound, Santiago utilizes the 7-string more, and Diana is a better vocalist than Danishta, and has continued to improve her craft since leaving, it's a shame they couldn't retain her. 

I probably will do another version of mine soon too, per there's an extensive list of stuff I keep thinking about that I forgot.

I took all of my 5-star albums on rym, and was left with 45 spots left.

I then looked at the 4.5-star albums and decided to pick 1 album from artists that were not already included, which there were like 53 or something, so I only had to leave off about 8 artists.

But then when looking at my 4-star album list, some of them I actually might update to rate at 4.5 stars now, so it gets more complicated.

This exercise has shown to me the futility of determining 4.5 vs. 5.0 albums.  Some of mine are surely just out of date, but I know there are numerous 5.0 albums I barely considered for this, and many 4.5s that made the list without a second thought.  It's just weird how contextual and mercurial everything is.  What made it easier was that I'd done lists of favorite albums per decade for various sites and myself over the past couple years, and already had a top 100 draft going, so it was just a matter of compiling and checking and updating it. 

It's also kind of fascinating to observe the tendencies of my absolute favorites.  I like to think I try and have favorites all over the place, but for whatever reason I have blind spots, such as nothing in the 60s, not much country, hip-hop, and punk to speak of, etc.  Oh well, can't catch everything, this is probably something like the top 1% of albums I've heard.  Maybe a top 1,000 would catch everything.  What a nightmare that would be to create though. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 02:57:48 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 05:53:58 PM »
I never expected to see Aghora's Formless in someone's top 100. I used to love that album, but it hasn't aged well for me.

Hmm, it's been the opposite for me.  I played the heck out of it the first few years after it came out, but then mostly left it alone for awhile after I had burned out on the technical music scene.  But then the last few years I've gotten back into it, and it's been ascendant again for me.  It still sounds kind of futuristic, no one really ever tried to copy them that I'm aware of, so they're still a pretty singular band.  It's pretty close to tied with the debut.  I like having the Seans as the rhythm section for that whole album, whereas Formless doesn't have Malone, and only Reinert on half the tracks (although their substitutes are stellar in their own right).  But it has a thicker sound, Santiago utilizes the 7-string more, and Diana is a better vocalist than Danishta, and has continued to improve her craft since leaving, it's a shame they couldn't retain her. 
I've always thought To-Mera did a much better job at what Aghora was trying to do.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 07:38:38 PM »
I really like them too, and they're probably as close at it gets, but they're a bit nearer to the DT potpourri genre mixture sound, Aghora has more of a specific focus with the Cynic + calm vocals + Indian classical influences approach.  I could never quite find a band to make them into a trio.  The next closest is maybe Akphaezya.  But they're even further out, though they do have the jazz influences. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 11:44:34 PM »
I’ve tried to do this on my phone a couple of times and it’s pissing me off because stuff keeps disappearing when I put something new in the wrong place. I’ll try it on my computer later and see if that helps.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 10:39:22 AM »
Not my actual top 100 albums of all time, but this is my top 10albums imported from my last.fm, for ease. I've had an account since 2016 so a lot of the albums are albums I've discovered in the last 6 years, mixed with all time faves.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 08:03:51 PM »
Not my actual top 100 albums of all time, but this is my top 10albums imported from my last.fm, for ease.
I wasn't going to participate until I saw this, that's much easier than trying to decide what to include and doing it all manually. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 08:20:23 PM »
Bolsters, that Bare Infinity album is excellent. I used the title track in my Puppies Fantasy EP for his roulette.
Interesting to see Yngwie buried down there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2022, 08:41:16 PM »
Some amazing stuff in there Dave, right up my alley.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2022, 08:42:17 PM »
Ok, this is what I came up with. gets a little murky towards the end..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2022, 08:48:23 PM »
Thats a JJ approved list right there Tim.  The only two on there I've never heard of is Heavy Petting and Lucifer Friend.

Love seeing Renegade so high.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2022, 09:02:57 PM »
Thats a JJ approved list right there Tim.  The only two on there I've never heard of is Heavy Petting and Lucifer Friend.

I love Thin Lizzy, and Renegade is my favorite album by them.

The Heavy Pettin' came out in 1983 and is co produced by Brian May. It's a cross between Def Leppard's High n Dry and Pyromania.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxwSgMYpxtM

Lucifer's Friend's Mean Machine came out in 1981. It marked the return of original vocalist John Lawton after a two album absence (while he was fronting Uriah Heep), and takes the 70's Deep Purplish band into a more NWOBHM territory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9nkiPPubs8
I used to crank the part at 2:49 with my windows down. :metal

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2022, 09:57:11 PM »
Not my actual top 100 albums of all time, but this is my top 10albums imported from my last.fm, for ease.

Props for ...And Out Comes the Wolves.  If I had to put a punk album on mine, that would be a good candidate.  Freeman's basslines are incredible, and the guitar tones are great (same modded Marshall Green Day used to record Dookie IIRC).  The Interrupters are really cool as well.  I also wonder if any others than us will have Songs in the Key of Life

I wasn't going to participate until I saw this, that's much easier than trying to decide what to include and doing it all manually.

I'm gonna have to start paying more attention to your posts.  Destiny Potato/David Maxim Micic/Sordid Pink, Scandroid/Celldweller/Circle of Dust/Blue Stahli, Spiritbox, Earthside, Mo, Abstract Void, FM-84, lots of great slightly unusual stuff there. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2022, 09:58:48 PM »

I love Thin Lizzy, and Renegade is my favorite album by them.

The Heavy Pettin' came out in 1983 and is co produced by Brian May. It's a cross between Def Leppard's High n Dry and Pyromania.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxwSgMYpxtM

Lucifer's Friend's Mean Machine came out in 1981. It marked the return of original vocalist John Lawton after a two album absence (while he was fronting Uriah Heep), and takes the 70's Deep Purplish band into a more NWOBHM territory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9nkiPPubs8
I used to crank the part at 2:49 with my windows down. :metal

I'll sample these ones tonight!

Edit: The Lucifer's Friend wasn't much my thing, gave me Foreigner vibes.  The Heavy Pettin' ripped though.  Great guitar work.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 05:09:17 AM by wolfking »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2022, 04:46:52 AM »
Here's a link to the Spotify version of mine for some representative favorites from each album.  Not every release is on there, so for a few I selected a similar song from another album from the artist, or at least the same vocalist.  Some artists aren't on Spotify at all, so oh well.  For handful or two of songs I cheated and also added an additional track that serves as a prelude or coda to the song, often a shorter instrumental from the album that I usually play together with it. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4UO1NXrDR1zgHterqT32hy?si=afb850c4e0744cfc

This makes me want to finish my top 100 songs project (somewhere around 300 candidates at the moment I believe).  It would most likely have some of the same ones, but a lot of different ones as well.  The best songs aren't always on the best albums from the artist, and some lesser albums have extraordinary songs.  And some are on short EPs or aren't on an album at all.