Author Topic: Fuzz pedals  (Read 1924 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Fuzz pedals
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:17:00 AM »
I recently tried out some fuzz pedals because I couldn't find the Dunlop Fuzz Face. If I order it in at the store I'll have to lay down a 20% deposit meaning I ultimately have to purchase it. I've looked on youtube and the pedal sounds sweet, also reviews on a few websites seem to like the Fuzz Face.

Would you guys recommend it? Is it one of those pedals that's actually much worse when you try it for yourself? I've got a new Standard Squier set up for lefty so it's upside down "Hendrix style". I've been learning lefty for a while now so I'm going for that full on Hendrix vibe.

Btw, this Fuzz Face is cheaper online.

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
Re: Fuzz pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:47:02 AM »
I'd say go for it... One thing i will say, from my experience using my Big Muff to cover Fripp stuff is that fuzz requires a slightly different technique than amp distortion; You have to be quite a bit cleaner, and you can't really play as fast, as the attack gets taken away quite a bit.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »
Yeah? I'll mainly be using it when playing right hand/normally because I'm good enough to play cleanly, as you said. Thankfully I can do that. I'll maybe look into it, dunno when though. One of the pedals I tried out was the "Neo Fuzz" and it was very nice! A bit too expensive though, but it comes with more option knobs.

Offline andreas_adelek

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:31:49 PM »
the only thing i know for sure about fuzz pedals is that every single one sounds different, sometimes evan the same models (according to Eric Johnson), so you better be careful.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:12:30 AM »
Makes sense because proper fuzz pedals use the old analog technology, correct? Hopefully I'll get to see it someday. I'll most likely end up buying it anyway :lol

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
the only thing i know for sure about fuzz pedals is that every single one sounds different, sometimes evan the same models (according to Eric Johnson), so you better be careful.

I live in Florida, so the humidity is super high... i find if i take my Muff outside for a bit when im going somewhere with it, it will sound different when i get there. it's quite sensitive.

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 08:42:54 AM »
Yeah? I'll mainly be using it when playing right hand/normally because I'm good enough to play cleanly, as you said. Thankfully I can do that. I'll maybe look into it, dunno when though. One of the pedals I tried out was the "Neo Fuzz" and it was very nice! A bit too expensive though, but it comes with more option knobs.

What i meant was there's a certain speed that you cant really go past with a fuzz... it just sounds bad with high speed trem picking. Just my opinion.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 04:31:41 AM »
^ Ah ok I see. I actually tried out the MI Audio GI Fuzz today and it was fantastic for its price and size. $200 and it has like 3 voicing settings, Tone, Bias, Body, and Load knobs. Quite handy and versatile. I'm thinking of getting it. First I need to find out if it's using silicon or germanium transistors.
I cranked that thing all the way up and fast picking sounded fine with it. I think fuzz is really my kind of tone for the usual stuff.

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »
^ Ah ok I see. I actually tried out the MI Audio GI Fuzz today and it was fantastic for its price and size. $200 and it has like 3 voicing settings, Tone, Bias, Body, and Load knobs. Quite handy and versatile. I'm thinking of getting it. First I need to find out if it's using silicon or germanium transistors.
I cranked that thing all the way up and fast picking sounded fine with it. I think fuzz is really my kind of tone for the usual stuff.

Well my experience is rather limited, so mileage may vary :)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »
Hey jack, I've thought about it and I'm mostly leaning on getting the MI Audio Neo Fuzz. It uses germanium transistors and I think I liked it more-so than the GI Fuzz. GI uses silicon. It's a shame I most likely can't get the Fuzz Face, which also apparently uses silicon which isn't what I'm really after, but it's still a possibility.
Next time you can, check out the Neo Fuzz and you'll see why I like it.

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »
Have you checked out the Joe Bonamassa FuzzFace?  I have never actually heard one in person, but supposedly it's supposed to be made from the old Russian transistors that the good fuzz face pedals had way back in the day. It looks SWEET too.
Like I said though, I've never actually tried one yet because I think they're quite new.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 04:57:02 AM »
Check this video out Kornflake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUfWO6iD3hw
That's all I've seen of the J.Bonamassa Fuzz Face. It's incredibly expensive too, according to eBay. Didn't find it on Amazon though.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 11:27:26 PM »
Just secured a deal on the MI Audio GI Fuzz. $175, I also A/B'd it with the new Modtone Buzz Boy Power Fuzz, Way Huge WHE401 Swollen Pickle MKII Jumbo Fuzz, and the Neo Fuzz (again by MI Audio). I kept going back to comparing each pedal with the GI. I ended up preferring it so I got it. Can't wait to try it out, but for this I'm gonna be using a Duracell battery.

Finally I thought I'd may as well try out the Boss Fuzz but on its own because it's on the Boss rack thing where there's every stompbox hooked to each other. It's crap, don't get it.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »
yeah the new Boss fuzz pedal (fz-5 I think it's called) is pretty shit. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick