Author Topic: Playing Songs and Notes  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Xarakas

Playing Songs and Notes
« on: June 05, 2011, 09:59:41 AM »
Do you guys think of notes when you play songs? For example when on a gig do you think of the notes you play or do you just move your fingers brainlessly on the correct frets? :D Just wondering because i do this most of the time when on a gig and i am kind of worried

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Re: Playing Songs and Notes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »
It depends. When I play the piano it's usually impossible to think of the notes. When I play a Bach fugue for example, there are 4 voices going at the same time, and thinking of 4 notes at the same time would be impossible.

When I play the guitar I sometimes think of the notes. When I'm improvising I usually think of the notes, when I'm playing something I've memorized beforehand I brainlessly move my fingers to the correct frets.

Why are you worried about it?

And BTW, welcome to the forums.

Offline jsem

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 03:47:16 PM »
ITNOR summarized my thoughts pretty well.

Except I play an additional instrument. The saxophone. And there, I am fully aware at all times what notes I am playing (it's kinda hard not to, one grip means a specific note - so you always know what note you hit), especially when playing with sheet music.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
Hm, I was never thinking about it ;) when I play a show I definitly not think about notes, too much energy around and excitement ;) but during rehearsals I think indeed ;) it's a good way to learn more about your instrument ;)

Offline Xarakas

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:05:20 AM »
i am worried because if someone tells me '' go improvise a solo over the chorus now!'' i think i would just mess up playing only the scale and stuff :D

and thanks for the welcome

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
Playing songs I've memorized is brainless fret moving. Writing songs, I'm always thinking about the next chord I'm going for and how it relates to the one I just played. So, not thinking of notes there as much as a combination of them. When I'm soloing, I think of the scales I'm using, and never the notes. I tend to shred a lot, so thinking of the notes would be quite a challenge.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jsem

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 01:30:02 PM »
Playing songs I've memorized is brainless fret moving. Writing songs, I'm always thinking about the next chord I'm going for and how it relates to the one I just played. So, not thinking of notes there as much as a combination of them. When I'm soloing, I think of the scales I'm using, and never the notes. I tend to shred a lot, so thinking of the notes would be quite a challenge.

Guitar shredding = patterns derived from scales

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
ITNOR summarized my thoughts pretty well.

Except I play an additional instrument. The saxophone. And there, I am fully aware at all times what notes I am playing (it's kinda hard not to, one grip means a specific note - so you always know what note you hit), especially when playing with sheet music.
This, when Improvising saxophone I am more aware of the notes your not supposed to play then what I am playing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:31:49 PM »

Guitar shredding = patterns derived from scales
Right, but I'm talking some seriously mindless shredding. It's all muscle memory for me. I could be completely brain dead and probably still do it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 06:51:01 AM »
I don't think of note names, but when i am improvising, i try to hear the intervals in my head so i will know what its going to sound like before i play it.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »
I don't think of note names, but when i am improvising, i try to hear the intervals in my head so i will know what its going to sound like before i play it.
This. Describes what I was going to say perfectly XD

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
Yep, pretty much agree with all the replies here so far. If you've learned a piece my memory, you're going to execute it not thinking of it as a musical task, but as a physical task -- just playing the right keys, frets, etc. at the right time. When improvising, it's much more a musical-mental exercise, so you would need to think of the notes you are playing. However, on instruments like the guitar, you may be able to forget about notes if you've certain licks or phrases in your arsenal that have you memorizing the patters or shapes rather than actual notes per se.
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!