Author Topic: Top 50 Albums: The UMH Experience  (Read 65450 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 50 Albums: The UMH Experience
« Reply #315 on: June 19, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
I'd go so far to say that King Diamond's band is the most underrated heavy metal band of all time.

I would definitely agree.  Really, every KD album is great, I mean the Fatal Portrait, Abigail, Them, Conspiracy and The Eye run of albums is perfect.  Spider, Graveyard and Voodoo are top quality metal also.

House of God is probably my fav tied with Abigial, it's just a perfect metal album.  Great, horrifying story, great songs, and the team of Andy and Glen Drover on that album slays.  Abigail 2, Puppet Master and Soul are amazing aswell.  It's a shame King has been so sick lately.  I hope we see another studio album from him.

And when you think of King's discography along with all the albums he did with MF, the man is a genius.

Preach the truth brothaman.

I'm beginning to think you and I have the same taste in music. Both of us are massive Trivium/King Diamond/Savatage fanboys. :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2011, 01:33:58 AM »
Goddammit, why is Rust in Peace everywhere?!

The other two are amazing though!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #317 on: June 20, 2011, 01:41:12 AM »
Because it's a good album  :P

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #318 on: June 20, 2011, 02:03:03 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: June 20, 2011, 06:18:57 AM »
Rust in Peace is a great album and the only Megadeth I can listen to for a full album.  Every song is at least very good, and the riffs are amazing.  Not sure if it'll show up in my top 50 but its possible.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #320 on: June 20, 2011, 06:22:30 AM »
Dave's voice has always killed it for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #321 on: June 20, 2011, 06:23:17 AM »
Rust in Peace is a great album and the only Megadeth I can listen to for a full album.  Every song is at least very good, and the riffs are amazing.  Not sure if it'll show up in my top 50 but its possible.

Dawn Patrol?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: June 20, 2011, 06:26:31 AM »
Yes Dawn Patrol is still very good.  DAT BASS.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but whatever he was doing for RiP works for me.  "Sweating Bullets" and songs like that, on the other hand, make me want to strangle the guy.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #323 on: June 20, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »
Alright, put aside all of your "LOLAYREON" bullshit right now. I don't care how cheesy or generic you find the music, I'm going to lay it down right now why, OBJECTIVELY, no self-respecting music fan can ever dislike this album. First off, the all-star cast of vocalists. James LaBrie, Mikael Akerfeldt, Marcela Bovio, Devin Townsend, Mike Baker, and about 6 other awesome singers who you've never heard of outside of this album. Second, this album is proggy as fuck. There's so many different genres being represented here. No song sounds like the last one. You've got flutes, synthesizers, organs, guitars, a fucking didgeridoo, violins, what more could you possibly need in a perfect prog metal album? The final ingredient into the awesomeness is the story. The dueling of the emotions and the philosophical questions are just perfect, and they compliment the ethereal atmosphere. This album is beyond amazing, and I don't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks.

Recommended tracks: Every single one of them.

I've never given this a try and you do such a nice sales job.  I guess this will be my background music for today.   :corn
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Durg

« Reply #324 on: June 20, 2011, 06:45:06 AM »

Yeah.  I'm with you there king.  Megadeth comes up a bunch on my Pandra radio and it always seems likes Dave tries too hard to sound metal and comes off like a Jr. High kid bragging about getting laid last weekend when you know he's lying.  I've only bought one track from them and that was "Symphony of Destruction" which I like very much.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: June 20, 2011, 06:49:57 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean, but whatever he was doing for RiP works for me.  "Sweating Bullets" and songs like that, on the other hand, make me want to strangle the guy.

There are some song they have that are so good you forget his voice(Symphony of Destruction,Almost Honest)  but when he whines in his singing, I tune out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:24 AM »

There are some song they have that are so good you forget his voice(Symphony of Destruction,Almost Honest)  but when he whines in his singing, I tune out.

*cue UMH rage*  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: June 20, 2011, 07:12:44 AM »
UMH vs king(kongbundy)shmegland. :lol  CAGEMATCH!!!

Offline Durg

« Reply #328 on: June 20, 2011, 07:17:08 AM »
UMH vs king(kongbundy)shmegland. :lol  CAGEMATCH!!!

With Lady Ga Ga playing from the speakers to make the fight more ANGRY.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #329 on: June 20, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »

There may have been a day where I agreed with you on that, but nobody knows what whiny singing is until they've listened to Coheed.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: June 20, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »
"Hello me, meet the REAL me
and my misfit's way of life"

:puke:

C'mon UBBH, you have to admit there are some Megadeth songs where Mustaine is practically unlistenable.  None of those songs are on RiP, but they exist.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: June 20, 2011, 09:03:23 AM »
I wouldn't call that a whine though, it's more of a snarl.

It sounds a bit silly, but it doesn't ruin the song for me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2011, 09:05:52 AM »
I literally can't listen to the song because of the way he sounds like an obnoxious 12-year-old in that part.

But it doesn't matter because LAUNCH THE POLARUUUUUUUUUUUUUS
THE END DOESN'T SCARE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: June 20, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »
Well, I literally can't listen to any Coheed song because Claudio sounds like a 12-year-old emo who was just told he can't go to Hot Topic until next weekend.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: June 20, 2011, 09:32:05 AM »
Oh boy its another UBBH post!  I can't wait to see some talentless fast-playing, shouty, anti-anyone-who-isn't-them band above legitimately good albums like Images or Rust in Peace!  I also forgot that an album needs copious amounts of blast beats or else it isn't good.

BLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEAT SBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEA TSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBE ATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATSBLASTBEATS

:heart

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: June 20, 2011, 09:34:59 AM »
You catch on quick.  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: June 20, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
I wouldn't call that a whine though, it's more of a snarl.

It sounds a bit silly, but it doesn't ruin the song for me.

There are definite times when he snarls but there are time when he's too nasally and that to me is when he whines.  I don't mind the snarls.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #337 on: June 20, 2011, 02:46:11 PM »
Wow, those were three GREAT albums. If there are any albums in the top ten which I haven't heard, I'm going to listen to them just out of respect of that 3 album selection.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #338 on: June 20, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »
Never did get into Megadeath.  THE is Arjen's finest work.  Ranks near the top of my list too.  As good as any rock opera/concept album ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: June 20, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »
I'd go so far to say that King Diamond's band is the most underrated heavy metal band of all time.

I would definitely agree.  Really, every KD album is great, I mean the Fatal Portrait, Abigail, Them, Conspiracy and The Eye run of albums is perfect.  Spider, Graveyard and Voodoo are top quality metal also.

House of God is probably my fav tied with Abigial, it's just a perfect metal album.  Great, horrifying story, great songs, and the team of Andy and Glen Drover on that album slays.  Abigail 2, Puppet Master and Soul are amazing aswell.  It's a shame King has been so sick lately.  I hope we see another studio album from him.

And when you think of King's discography along with all the albums he did with MF, the man is a genius.

Preach the truth brothaman.

I'm beginning to think you and I have the same taste in music. Both of us are massive Trivium/King Diamond/Savatage fanboys. :lol

:metal :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #340 on: June 20, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »
Rust in Peace is one of the greatest metal albums of all times.  If you have to question why its on the list, then maybe you actually don't even like music.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #341 on: June 20, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
yeah rich do you even like technical music

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: June 20, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »
Rust in Peace is one of the greatest metal albums of all times.  If you have to question why its on the list, then maybe you actually don't even like music.

lol wow

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #343 on: June 20, 2011, 05:16:49 PM »
lol me

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #344 on: June 20, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »
yeah rich do you even like technical music
Oh god, 5/8 memes. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »
10. Opeth - Blackwater Park

If it hasn't been established already with this list, I really love dark music. This entire album has a cold, winter night atmosphere that has never been perfected until now. The usage of dissonant chords, the synth textures, and the doubling of acoustic and electric guitars is brought together by the genius of producer Steven Wilson to create the ultimate darkness. While the atmosphere can be unsettling to some, I find it very soothing. I've been sleeping to this album for the last year (it will occasionally switch with Dream Theater's "Awake", for the irony). It's brutal as hell, but the soft sections are so beautiful and ethereal. Even people who hate death metal can find something to love here.

Recommended tracks: The Leper Affinity, Bleak, The Funeral Portrait, Blackwater Park

9. Devin Townsend Project - Ghost

While BWP is beautiful for its darkness, Ghost is beautiful for its light. After a stress-filled day, this is an album that can make everything okay again. This might sound cheesy, but Ghost makes me realize the beauty of life and nature. It's a great companion piece to looking through a National Geographic magazine, or browsing pictures of waterfalls or whatever on the internet. The flute that takes up a lot of space on the album is a great touch that adds to the calm. Overall, this album is the perfect closer of the DTP, wrapping up the sheer chaos that preceded it without feeling out of place. Quite an achievement.

Recommended tracks: Heart Baby, Feather, Ghost, Blackberry, Infinite Ocean

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #346 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
You can never go wrong with Blackwater Park. It was my first metal album, and still one of my favorites.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #347 on: June 20, 2011, 06:02:49 PM »
Well, everything that needs to be said about Blackwater Park has already been said. Ghost is a beautiful album but I couldn't rank it on my top 50 after only being out for a month or so.

I really love dark music. This entire album has a cold, winter night atmosphere that has never been perfected until now.

y u no listen to agalloch  :angry:
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: June 20, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
BWP  :metal

I haven't heard Devin's new albums but I find it strange that it would make someones top 10 list after just being released.  Not having a go, I guess I'll have to get the album and check it out.

Looking forward to the rest of the top 10.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: June 20, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »
I really love dark music. This entire album has a cold, winter night atmosphere that has never been perfected until now.

y u no listen to agalloch  :angry:

Basically this.

Also Ghost was literally released today what is this i dont even
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.