Author Topic: Top 50 Albums: The UMH Experience  (Read 65400 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Top 50 Albums: The UMH Experience
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »
Slayer blows dogs for quarters.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2011, 05:31:19 PM »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
 :lol

I love Ed, Edd and Eddy.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
It was the best show on television.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »
I miss that show. It was wonderful growing up on it.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
I know The Legacy is your favourite by Testament, so The New Order on this list reminds me that you love The Legacy maybe more. :P

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
A while ago, it was. I'd say New Order beats it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2011, 08:07:30 PM »
I'm ok with Reign being on here, as long as Seasons is higher...much, much higher. I also dig WPB more than Reign, but I might be alone there.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »
Seasons in the Abyss is Slayer at their best. I love Reign in Blood also, but Seasons is a far superior album.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »
I agree completely. Seasons has so many good songs while Reign has one amazing song, one very good song, a couple decent ones, and the rest kinda run together.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2011, 08:15:28 PM »
Reign in Blood!  :metal

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
I agree completely. Seasons has so many good songs while Reign has one amazing song, one very good song, a couple decent ones, and the rest kinda run together.

My local rock station played War Ensemble the other night. It was completely unexpected, because this station never plays any "real" metal. When it came on I was like

HOLY SHIT WTFBBQ TIME TO SPEED :2metal: :2metal:
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: June 15, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
I used to love Reign in Blood, but it's lost it's touch. I still don't mind it though.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »

My local rock station played War Ensemble the other night. It was completely unexpected, because this station never plays any "real" metal. When it came on I was like

SPORT IS WAR
TOTAL WAR
WHEN THE END
IS A SLAUGHTER
THE FINAL SWING IS NOT A DRILL
ITS HOW MANY PEOPLE I CAN KIIIIIIIIILLLLL!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »

My first instinct would be to find the nearest tree to crash into and hope I die.

/trollface

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »

SPORT IS WAR
TOTAL WAR
WHEN THE END
IS A SLAUGHTER
THE FINAL SWING IS NOT A DRILL
ITS HOW MANY PEOPLE I CAN KIIIIIIIIILLLLL!!!
Now THAT is an awesome song. :metal

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »
This opinion is wrong.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:37 PM »
Yeah, it's wrong. All of the songs run together.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2011, 09:12:22 PM »
Yeah, it's wrong. All of the songs run together.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2011, 09:13:52 PM »

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2011, 05:31:29 AM »
I agree that Seasons>RiB.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2011, 05:34:51 AM »
I agree that Seasons>RiB.

Indeed.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
22. Nevermore - Enemies of Reality

Let's be clear. The original mix of this album absolutely blows. However, I was lucky enough to hear the remaster first. Therefore, I don't have a jaded opinion on what I feel is Nevermore's best album. Unfortunately, the original mix was bad enough to put people off the album completely. I weep at night for those people, because this album is a true work of genius. Every song here is pure gold, and ridiculously heavy. The genius lies in the pacing of the album. The first 2 tracks are fast and chaotic, while the next two kick down the tempo, but still keeping the heavy aspect in tact. The ballad, Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday, manages to be catchy and soul-crushing at the same time. This pattern repeats again, 2 fast, 2 slow, and then the album is closed with the absolutely ferocious Seed Awakening. At just over 40 minutes long, the album hits the listener like a sledgehammer, but doesn't stick around long enough to be annoying. In fact, I wish it was longer.

Recommended tracks: Enemies of Reality, Ambivalent, I Voyager, Who Decides

21. Floater - Alter

I'm almost willing to bet that anybody who's heard about this band heard about them from me. As far as I know, I'm the only hardcore fan on the entire board. This is another crying shame, because these guys are phenomenal. Their music reminds me of a less psychotic Primus with a bit of a grunge feel. The singer's voice goes through many transformations, each fitting every moment perfectly. The drums have a tribal flair to them that adds a unique dynamic to the bass-driven alt rock. This album in particular is quite eclectic. There are soft, ballad songs with string textures, heavy Primus-like songs, and songs unlike anything I've heard before. Perhaps the strongest aspect of the band is the lyrics. There's loads of clever lines, particularly in the song Hollywood. Overall, this is a criminally overlooked band and album that must be explored further by all people.

Recommended tracks: Zero Hour, Safety, Luddite, 4 Down (A Toast)

20. Strapping Young Lad - Alien

This is an album that grabs you by the throat and skull-fucks you until you can't stand it anymore. These songs have an intensity that no other band could ever be capable of matching. From the start of the album to the 8th track, it's a non-stop assault of pure brutality, with some of the most crazed vocals ever. The image one can glean from this album is a twisted psychopath who was just pushed a bit too far. The topics covered range from the simple "Hey, fuck you, asshole" to the very meaning of life itself. There's at least one song on here for any mood. Pissed at the opposite sex? Hit up the hit single "Love?". Pissed at everyone? Shitstorm is there. Pissed at your life and its lack of direction? Play some Thalamus. This album got me through some dark times.

Recommended tracks: Shitstorm, Love?, We Ride, Thalamus, Zen

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »
I still haven't listened to Floater yet.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »
I got tired of trying to get you to. Doesn't the fact that I've placed it above two Offspring albums signify that it's pretty fucking good?

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
I got tired of trying to get you to. Doesn't the fact that I've placed it above two Offspring albums signify that it's pretty fucking good?

I decided to pull this up on Napster and I'm listening Zero Hour right now.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2011, 01:08:53 PM »
Three solid (if not really amazing IMO) albums! :tup Although I'm not hugely keen on SYL in general, except The New Black which is so much fucking fun.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Durg

« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »

I decided to pull this up on Napster and I'm listening Zero Hour right now.

I'm almost done listening through this whole thing and I'm really enjoying it.  Wow.  Luddite! 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2011, 02:04:40 PM »
Luddite fucking rules.

Offline Durg

« Reply #239 on: June 16, 2011, 02:12:58 PM »
Luddite fucking rules.

The singer reminds me a little of System of a Down's singer although this guy is much better.  Maybe a better comparison is Riverside's singer.  Most of this album is pretty heady and mellow yet still metal.  I enjoyed listening to this.  I'm adding it to my wishlist.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #240 on: June 16, 2011, 03:28:10 PM »
Slayer :metal :metal :metal

NEVERMORE :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »
Enemies of Reality is indeed one of Nevermore's very best, every song is indeed killer.  Alien is excellent, haven't heard Floater.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2011, 05:09:12 PM »
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
19. Blind Guardian - Tales From the Twilight World

Behold, the only power metal album on this list, and it has more in common with thrash. Go figure. Anyway, this album was a lock for the top 20 if only because of Hansi Kursch, who has one of the sexiest voices I've ever heard. Extra points are given for the intricate guitar solos and harmonies in the songs. The songs can get a bit samey, but they're all so great that it's hard to care. The lyrics are cheesy as all hell, but that's to be expected from a power metal band from Germany. This produces some lulzy song titles such as Welcome to Dying, but the songs are great, and that's all that matters.

Recommended tracks: Traveler in Time, Welcome to Dying, Lost in the Twilight Hall

18. Death - Leprosy

First off, a little disclaimer. Pre-90s Death kicks the living shit out of post-90s Death. While Chuck's later material still kicks ass, he nailed down what death metal should be with this album. It has slow, trudging riffs and blistering, thrash-inspired bits that compliment each other perfectly. The vocals are actually quite clear compared to other bands, letting the morbid lyrics shine. The drums and bass pound the listener into submission, while the classic, slightly overused tremolo wailing dominates the guitar solos. The production is suitably raw, which just adds to the sheer intensity. Every song on this album should be considered a death metal classic. It's seriously that good.

Recommended tracks: Leprosy, Born Dead, Left to Die, Pull the Plug, Choke On It

17. Riot - The Privilege of Power

And now an unfortunately overlooked 80s speed metal band. This album has a production style very reminiscent of power metal, and Tony Moore's vocals do nothing to get rid of that idea, but this is way better than power metal. Beginning with a start-stop riff with radio and television sounds underneath, the album makes its loose concept readily apparent. It's mainly about the controlling of the media and how easy it is to brainwash the public. While this idea is only touched on in a few songs, it's a pretty cool theme. Guitarist Mark Reale is the driving force behind Riot, and he makes his presence very well known. The riffs are not standard Chord-chuggachuggachugga fare. There's plenty of technicality buried, and the solos are where he really shines. Why Mark is not more respected when speed metal is discussed is a mystery to me. Another cool aspect of this album that keeps it from sounding like "just another speed metal album" is the horn section. While it only shows up once in a while, it's a nice touch. Overall, this is one that needs more attention.

Recommended tracks: On Your Knees, Killer, Dance of Death, Storming the Gates of Hell

Kosmo

« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »
I always laugh when Hansi sings ''I am a dwarf!'' in Goodbye My Friend.