Author Topic: "panic attack" opinions  (Read 10366 times)

Offline lithium112

Re: "panic attack" opinions
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »
Because it seems to be the only DT song most people I know recognize from them. I've also gotten sick of hearing it while playing Rock Band over and over because people wanna show off how bad-ass their shedding is. I'm happy the popularity the track gave them, I'm just sick of hearing it. It seems most people don't explore the band beyond that song the last few years. It's the modern equivalency of Pull Me Under.

Fair enough, I guess. I know songs that are on the radio can get overplayed sometimes, I just never figured a DT song could be played that often. Unless you play Rock Band twice a day lol.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2011, 11:04:40 AM »
I think it's a great tune. Didn't like it in the beginning (my favorite musical genre is funk, so the harder songs took some time to appreciate a few years back - but ANTR was an instant favorite), but now I love listening to it, especially if I'm running. Nice to have some music to keep the feet moving.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »
It was an instant favourite from the album the first time I heard Octavarium. Love the energy of the song.

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »
I don't think popularity should effect one's opinion about a specific song...but I understand why feelings have changed since it was in rock band. I really like panic attack, but what bugs me is that due to the popularity, people who enjoy the song often don't listen to much DT and explore the rest of the catalog.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2011, 05:11:22 AM »
I don't think popularity should effect one's opinion about a specific song...but I understand why feelings have changed since it was in rock band. I really like panic attack, but what bugs me is that due to the popularity, people who enjoy the song often don't listen to much DT and explore the rest of the catalog.
Why should that bug you? Not everyone listens to music the same way you and I do.

My girlfriend listens to a LOT of different bands. But sometimes only a couple of songs from each one, since she feels the rest of their catalogue is not on the same standard. Does that mean that she's less of a music fan than you and me, who obsesses over a single band, buying every single one of their CD's?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2011, 06:02:10 AM »
people want to keep dream theater to be their little secret.

how dare they get exposed to another audience through a video game

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »

I think it's more of people not wanting to listen to nublets talking about Dream Theater when they don't know what the hell they're talking about, ie "Progcore". Gets very annoying, and that's with any band.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »

I think it's more of people not wanting to listen to nublets talking about Dream Theater when they don't know what the hell they're talking about, ie "Progcore". Gets very annoying, and that's with any band.

Touche. Also, most likely anyone whose only exposure to DT is Panic Attack will likely form an opinion of the band which is miles from reality which is a shame since PA really under-sells their talents.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2011, 01:41:30 PM »
Why should that bug you? Not everyone listens to music the same way you and I do.

My girlfriend listens to a LOT of different bands. But sometimes only a couple of songs from each one, since she feels the rest of their catalogue is not on the same standard. Does that mean that she's less of a music fan than you and me, who obsesses over a single band, buying every single one of their CD's?

That type of music listening tends to be typical of "only the singles are good" ideology. Which I know annoys me. Pretty similar to people that claim to be big music fans but all they listen to are songs that go on the radio and put forth no initiative to find music for themselves.

Though I'll admit, some bands there really are only a few songs they've done that I enjoy. Those bands are few and far between, but they exist.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »

That type of music listening tends to be typical of "only the singles are good" ideology. Which I know annoys me. Pretty similar to people that claim to be big music fans but all they listen to are songs that go on the radio and put forth no initiative to find music for themselves.

Though I'll admit, some bands there really are only a few songs they've done that I enjoy. Those bands are few and far between, but they exist.

So so true. I actually can't stand music fans who only listen to the radio (and do these people actually even exist anymore?)

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »
A loooot of them. Primarily high school kids.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2011, 08:36:25 AM »
So so true. I actually can't stand music fans who only listen to the radio (and do these people actually even exist anymore?)
And I can't stand prog snobs who thinks that there's only one, right way to enjoy music. Jesus!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2011, 09:17:39 AM »
do you guys talk to rock band nerds regularly? cant think of a place where i would run into a dt nublets opinion (unless you are looking for them). there definitely wasnt a mass joining of them here when the game came out

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
And I can't stand prog snobs who thinks that there's only one, right way to enjoy music. Jesus!
He's not being a snob. It is very annoying running into people who only listen to the radio.

Offline ubit

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2011, 10:46:08 PM »
Panic Attack is an incredibly energized song, and is a thrill for those who love the harder, metal side of DT.  This song is an instant highlight from Octavarium, and a fun live song. 

I sense that those who like their prog sprinkled lightly with metal shavings will dislike this song more than those like myself, who tend to like their metal dipped in a proggy covering.
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2011, 12:28:34 AM »
I like it a lot. Not a highlight but I do like the energy the song brings. And having experienced a couple panic attacks myself I can relate to the lyrics.

As a Rock Band addict though I did get tired of it after a couple years of playing RB2. Should of picked These Walls Harmonix, that song never gets old! :yarr Still like it though.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2011, 02:15:25 AM »
He's not being a snob. It is very annoying running into people who only listen to the radio.
Why?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2011, 05:06:48 AM »

Likewise, people who only wear jeans and band t-shirts. Geez, dress RIGHT!
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
Why?

Because they don't know shit about what they are listening to, that's why. They just mindlessly gobble down whatever the big record companies and programming directors force-feed them. I could go on . . .

But I'm far from a prog snob, I listen to pretty much everything from Sinatra to the Beatles to Metallica. But I certainly will never listen to the tripe that has been passed off as the popular music of this millenium.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2011, 01:23:48 PM »
I enjoy a song or two from many popular artists, because they do their job and make me feel good, whatever. Theirs many reasons why people listen to music.

Anyways...Panic Attack is a good example of them writing a good song where everything fits.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
Why?
It's mostly because their view can be quite odd. If you listen to anything over 6 minutes in length, you're a weirdo with long songs. If you listen to anything with any instruments other than vox, guitar, bass, drums, and the occasional keyboards, you listen to old people music. No exaggerations either, that's how lots of them often seem to think.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Why?
It's mostly because their view can be quite odd. If you listen to anything over 6 minutes in length, you're a weirdo with long songs. If you listen to anything with any instruments other than vox, guitar, bass, drums, and the occasional keyboards, you listen to old people music. No exaggerations either, that's how lots of them often seem to think.

.... so this has nothing to do with actual music?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »
Why?

.... so this has nothing to do with actual music?
???

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2011, 11:15:50 AM »
great arguments in this thread. i dont listen to hit radio either, but its funny to see people act like they are above it

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »
great arguments in this thread. i dont listen to hit radio either, but its funny to see people act like they are above it
Excuse me? I'm not acting like I'm above it. I'm voicing my annoyance at when people who only listen to radio detract others music for terrible reasons. I also know others that say if something isn't on the radio, it must suck. If that's not snobby, I don't know what is.

Offline peruvianskynewhampshire

• I worship bacon,particularly black pepper bacon.Bow to the bacon gods
  • I saw a white light. Shining there before me
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »
since I started this thread,Ive loved the difference in opinions on this song.Yes it has drifted a bit but is great to see how one subject can stir up such strong opinions and shows the diversity of the DT fans. We are the best fans( being sarcastic) but i mean it really..  :biggrin: :tup 
life goes by to fast,if you dont stop and take a look around it will pass you by

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2011, 04:25:37 AM »
Panic Attack is probably my 4th fav on Octavarium. It's good and fun to listen to and play along to, but i wouldn't consider it a top 25.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »
Good song, bad reputation. I HATE it when people judge DT when they've only heard Panic Attack. I live in a generation where all that people listen to are singles and hits, which is why I tend to hate songs like "Wither", "Rite of Passage", "Forsaken", "Panic Attack", etc...

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2011, 03:35:43 PM »
I liked this song the first time I heard it. I never really get that tired of it.