Author Topic: The Animals As Leaders Thread!!!  (Read 27274 times)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Re: The Animals As Leaders Thread!!!
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
Only have the first AAL album, but, it was amazing. I think I had an orgasm the first time I listened to that album. I think, as far as being technical is concerned, they are better than DT.
However, they don't seem to have the soul and passion that DT have.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »
After giving all their albums a couple of listens, I can't say I'm really into the first two. Yeah, it's technical, and a lot more wacky than most things DT has done, but that's as far as the music goes and it doesn't really become anything more than that.

TJOM, on the other hand, I dig a lot for the fact that it has more soul to it and memorable grooves that don't feel technical just for the sake of being technical.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »
I agree. I still really only love CAFO from the first couple albums. I still spin 'em every now and again but overall, to me, CAFO just kinda embodies what they did before. TJOM is a completely amazing evolution, and it's got so many layers and is so dynamic and versatile; it's really one of my favorite albums in a long while. I listen to it almost every other day and it still hasn't degraded a bit and I haven't gotten tired of it in the least.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »
TJOM: less guitar chords and real drums! That's the recipe!

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »
I love this band. Tosin Abasi is an amazingly creative musician with a really distinct style and vision. It's really awsome how this guy can write music that's very technical and twisty but still holds a very strong atmosphere throughout.

I think the first album is still my favorite (I mean, CAFO and On Impulse, you can't get better than that!) but TJOM is a close second. I think it's more song and groove based than the previous records with lots of variation. I remember Tosin himself saying that at this point he doesn't need to prove to anybody that he can play blazingly fast, so now he can focus more on songwriting.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
I dug the first AAL, Soraya was my lady jam.  A mate played me The Woven Web the other day and it piqued my interest in them again after not really finding anything of theirs I liked as much as Soraya. 

weird sentence.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »
Where the heck did this song come from?  Just noticed it online.  I'm a big Ashe O'Hara fan.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H21IZ1ZbeLE
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2015, 02:42:33 AM »
Wow!  :o is this real??

This was so good, really catchy! Interesting to hear AAL doing more 4/4, non-complex music!

I'm in love already. They should release an album with Ashe!  :heart
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:48:01 AM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2016, 08:54:47 AM »
New Song: The Brain Dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Yb_vf-Qfo

New Album "The Madness of Many" coming November 11th
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:56:23 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline adace

« Reply #184 on: September 30, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
Interesting direction they're taking. I like it a lot.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »
A very interesting (and good) song. Love the new direction. I'm pretty excited for November 11th now.  :biggrin:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »
Can't wait for this. Spinning 'Motion' in anticipation. Love the new song and am glad they're still experimenting with a tweaked sound. Really cool stuff.

RIP DTP.

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Animals As Leaders!!! What do you think about them???
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2016, 10:50:42 PM »
I don't like the new album, and didn't care much for The Joy of Motion. The first two albums are nothing short of brilliant, however, with the first being my favorite. I tried to get into the new album, but it's just boring. For me, I don't think the current approach works on an instrumental level, because there is a lot of riffing in unison, a much more noticeable lack of lead guitar/melody, and as a result it just feels empty. It has an unfinished sort of feel to it. The songs just meander, and don't seem as cohesive as previous efforts. Tosin is a very unique and innovative player, but over the past two albums he has been focusing a lot more on slap guitar and thumping, which is great and all, but it's a bit too much. I don't mind that technique (I do it myself from time to time), but when a riff consists of holding one note and slapping/thumping various rhythmic groupings in odd meters for more than eight bars, it tends to get old. I remember reading an interview where he said he wanted the newer AAL material to focus more on songwriting than on technicality, which is funny, because I find the older technically over-the-top material to be way more musically interesting and memorable.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2016, 02:26:47 AM »
Man, I think I have the polar opposite opinion of that. Which is cool. I love the new approach and have listened to TJOM and TMOM ten fold more than I have the prior albums. I think the unison actually brings more melody and helps to create memorable moments.

On my own end, I love the hell out of Inner Assassins, most notably the late latter half/ending, that's a really gorgeous handful of seconds. I also really like Ectogenesis and appreciate it for being one of the most (if not the most) heavy songs on the album (which isn't saying a whole lot, granted) while still having a hell of a lot of jazzier moments blended in nicely.

I can't tell if I like Madness or Motion more but I love these two albums a lot.

RIP DTP.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2017, 09:04:42 AM »
So I went to my first AAL concert here in Hong Kong last night. Man, what a show and they were awesome!  :metal

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2017, 09:55:59 AM »
Nice pics! :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2021, 01:50:15 PM »
ANIMALS AS LEADERS - Monomyth (Official Music Video)

Just an amazing composition and superb playing by everyone. Matt is a beast!!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2022, 03:29:30 PM »
ANIMALS AS LEADERS recently announced its highly anticipated new album, “Parrhesia”.

“Parrhesia” track listing:
 1. Conflict Cartography
 2. Monomyth
 3. Red Miso
 4. Gestaltzerfall
 5. Asahi
 6. The Problem Of Other Minds
 7. Thoughts And Prayers
 8. Micro-Aggressions
 9. Gordian Naught

The new album will be released on March 25, 2022

Preorder here: https://animalsasleaders.org/

ANIMALS AS LEADERS - The Problem of Other Minds (Official Music Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOAf8YdAOqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gi5KtoWY8U

ANIMALS AS LEADERS - Gordian Naught (Official Audio Stream)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw4BkF60o2U

:metal

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2022, 02:09:24 PM »
Yeah, been looking forward to this album... can't believe it's been nearly 6 years since The Madness of Many.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2022, 02:49:56 AM »
I am digging their new album... Gestaltzerfall is my early favorite at this point.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2022, 01:07:24 PM »
It's really good. Insane playing.
It's also really short. One or two more songs would have been nice.
Favorite is Micro-Agressions

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2022, 01:35:26 PM »
My list of favourite drummers is so long and vast but honestly at present time Matt is the number one metal drummer in the industry right now. He's so complete in his technic, fluidity and creativity. He's kinda the next Virgil Donati. He lives and breathes his instrument everyday and has been for a long time and that's how you become so proficient at your craft.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2022, 12:07:33 PM »
I gotta agree with you MrBoom. I went down the rabbit hole of watching his drum video's and he is insane:

Gordian Naught: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpFnbgqHmjQ
Micro-aggressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzmuxUtRj-w

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2022, 12:25:08 PM »
I've never been able to get into this band. While I can appreciate their talent and complexity of their music, is just does absolutely nothing for me.

The crazy thing is that a few years ago I saw Javier Reyes (Mestis) opening for Plini, and I enjoyed that show a lot more than anything Animals as Leaders has put out. I tried liking them, I've even seen them twice and it's just not my thing.

I'll give the new album a try, maybe having such low expectation will be a good thing.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2022, 02:25:06 PM »
Matt Garstka just posted a drum cam of the full set from an Animals as Leaders show, incredible playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKHHPHoLXyA

I've never been able to get into this band. While I can appreciate their talent and complexity of their music, is just does absolutely nothing for me.

The crazy thing is that a few years ago I saw Javier Reyes (Mestis) opening for Plini, and I enjoyed that show a lot more than anything Animals as Leaders has put out. I tried liking them, I've even seen them twice and it's just not my thing.

I'll give the new album a try, maybe having such low expectation will be a good thing.

It took me a long time to get into Animals as Leaders, it was a little to percussive for my taste but after a while it just clicked, but I still have to be in the mood for it. Mestis is incredible by the way, I think I prefer it more to AAL.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2022, 02:39:10 PM »

Just an amazing composition and superb playing by everyone. Matt is a beast!!
Cool composition,  but freakin weird video!   🤯🤯 :mehlin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2022, 02:42:56 PM »
That video was wild as shit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: May 09, 2022, 01:23:10 AM »
I gotta agree with you MrBoom. I went down the rabbit hole of watching his drum video's and he is insane:

Gordian Naught: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpFnbgqHmjQ
Micro-aggressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzmuxUtRj-w
The thing about Matt is that while he's very creative and fluid he's so damn solid live almost to the point he feels kinda inhuman.

He posted this whole live set from a recent gig, watching that it's like seeing someone building a foundation out of concrete, it's rock solid.
Matt Garstka - Animals as Leaders - Live in Austin TX - Whole Set

Online SoundscapeMN

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: July 18, 2023, 01:29:55 PM »
Oh damn, that sucks
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #206 on: July 18, 2023, 01:44:54 PM »
Does anyone know what went down at the Counterparts concert?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2023, 02:40:55 PM »

Apparently he received blow to the head with an elbow (not sure if it was during a mosh pit or fight), suffered a seizure, and never woke up. It was during a day off after the Billings, WI show I believe.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2023, 03:06:03 PM »

Apparently he received blow to the head with an elbow (not sure if it was during a mosh pit or fight), suffered a seizure, and never woke up. It was during a day off after the Billings, WI show I believe.

I think it said it happened in the pit. What a freak accident, I can't imagine how the vibe of the tour will be from here on out, with that hanging over it all. I mean, don't they finish the show with them all coming out and doing The Spirit Carries On? Damn....  :'( :'(

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2023, 04:43:43 PM »
From faizoff in the Dreamsonic thread

"Someone in the thread linked this comment saying it wasn't a mosh pit incident.

as someone who works at the venue and has been dealing with this for hours. this isn't as simple as some may it to be. at the end of the day, it was an accident. BUT ALSO THIS WASNT A MOSHING ACCIDENT. this man was barside and fell. from emts and other people around. it seem liked it was. cardiac arrest.[size=78%]​[/size"]