Author Topic: Symphony X - Iconoclast (June 17th)  (Read 32124 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Symphony X - Iconoclast (June 17th)
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »
Okay, discussing where the leaks are is obviously not okay, but what's wrong with rating the leaked songs? How is that any different from talking about the album?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
If the album were released, it wouldn't be a problem.  Other than songs the band/label has already put out, there is no way to be able to rate the other songs unless they were obtained illegally.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »
Right, but is saying things like "the title track is a return to classic SX" any different from saying something like "Iconoclast - 8.5"? The information would be obtained in the same way.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2011, 11:31:51 AM »
If the album were released, it wouldn't be a problem.  Other than songs the band/label has already put out, there is no way to be able to rate the other songs unless they were obtained illegally.

Unless you have a promo copy of course

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:01 AM »
Actually, Russell Allen is a very dear friend of mine, and he personally gave me a copy. So WUTCHA GUN DO?

ACTA FOOL!!!!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
And apparently some people got their pre-orders a tad early, too.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
I enjoy the occasional Symphony X song. In general, they often suffer from the same pitfalls as most prog metal bands--cheesy, shredding for the sake of shredding, ridiculous lyrics. But some of their stuff is really good, Candlelight Fantasia in particular.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
I enjoy the occasional Symphony X song. In general, they often suffer from the same pitfalls as most prog metal bands--cheesy, shredding for the sake of shredding, ridiculous lyrics. But some of their stuff is really good, Candlelight Fantasia in particular.

Shredded cheese is awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
And apparently some people got their pre-orders a tad early, too.

Actually, I didn't realize the official release date was just a couple of days from now.  So, yeah, entirely possible people have gotten their copies by now.  Okay, fine, you can discuss it.  But no mention of leaks whatsoever.  If you got it through an illegal source, don't even think about dropping any hints that that's how you got it. 

Oh, and :symphonyx:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
So I tried listening to this and couldn't.  I like Symphony X, but the first song was incredibly drawn out and dull, and when the second one came on and sounded exactly the same I was done trying it.  I think they were much more creative and interesting back in the era of Divine Wings or V.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »
it almost sounds like more songs off Odysee.

Im on my third spin.
Enjoying.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »
So as I was saying Russell Gave it to me. It was at the concert in Phoenix. My brother and I were shouting to him from the car, and he threw a copy into my window. Yeah. It happened.

I was disappointed on first listen. really disappointed. Then I listened to it again the next day, and it kinda hit me. This album's pretty bad ass. Sure I still heard the rehashed riffs, but that's something I can get over. I am an Iced Earth fan you know... Fuck.

Anyway, Iconoclast starts off with a bang. Romeo is going crazy. Then the epicness begins. Fucking cool. That "Wicked" riff as the main riff to the song, but the verses are great. The chorus reminds me of We Are Rebellion by Queensryche, with the chanting. Fucking awesome instrumental section.

The End Of Innocence is great as a single. Heavy, melodic, and heavy again. Not much more to say. Great Song.

Dehumanized is another bad ass song. A lot of people hate it, but I love the line, "hit the switch, you son of a bitch!" :metal Pluus that WOWOWHAA bit before the second verse is cool.

Bastards of the Machine would probably be my favorite song on the album if it weren't for the awful chorus. Symphony X know how to be bad ass, but that chorus.. UGH!

Heretic is another cool song, but I can't help but sing a different chorus.. Goes something like.. SHORTEST STRAW! CHALLENGED LIBERTY! DOWNED BY LAW!

Children of a Faceless God is kinda boring.

When All Is Lost mixes ballad with some shredded goodness.

I'll be back with Disc 2 after a word from our sponsors.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:58:00 PM by Zook »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
Hold the phone, you live in Phoenix?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
Hold the phone, you live in Phoenix?

.......................... Yes, yes I do.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2011, 12:19:25 PM »
I live in Scottsdale. We're like brothers. Sort of.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »
I live in Scottsdale. We're like brothers. Sort of.

Yeah you're like that half retarded brother with one eye that lives in the attic, and is fed fish heads.

My grandpa lives in Scottsdale. Maybe when I visit him I can find you and shove a KrotchRaut CD down your throat.

:-*

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
So, after my first listen I can't say I like it. Every song feels samey, some even boring. The riffs aren't what you'd call original, some of them even instantly reminded me of a song on another album. Like the riff at 2:00 in Iconoclast and the riff at 0:45 in Eve of Seduction, and a few more I can't remember right now. Also, Michael Romeo has slipped back into MIDI-mode in most solos on the album. At least the vocals are still really good.

IMO SX were far more interesting when they had more prog elements in their music. Favourite song now is When All Is Lost.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »
You have such a way with words. And Simpsons Halloween episode references.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
So, after my first listen I can't say I like it. Every song feels samey, some even boring. The riffs aren't what you'd call original, some of them even instantly reminded me of a song on another album. Like the riff at 2:00 in Iconoclast and the riff at 0:45 in Eve of Seduction, and a few more I can't remember right now. Also, Michael Romeo has slipped back into MIDI-mode in most solos on the album. At least the vocals are still really good.

IMO SX were far more interesting when they had more prog elements in their music. Favourite song now is When All Is Lost.

listen to it again in 24 hours. If your opinion doesn't change then I guess it's not for you.

You have such a way with words. And Simpsons Halloween episode references.

Back when The Simpsons were worth a damn.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
after a couple spins, it feels a bit generic by their own standards. i'm sure that word choice may be criticized. anywayz, i haven't been able to really get into it yet (so far, only half paying attention, half background music type listening).

i'm certain i'll like it, i mean c'mon, it's symphony fcking x! - but my expectations for it as a top end symph x album have dropped.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »
@Zook: I was hoping that was a Simpsons reference. :lol

The first time I listened to the new album I thought it was fantastic, but on the second listen (only to the first disc because I ran out of time) it didn't strike me as much. We'll see how it holds up over time.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
So far my Top 3 tracks are Iconoclast, Humanize, and When All is Lost. It's a pretty rocking album. Iconoclast is one their greatest opening tracks ever. They did good with this album seeing how they are steering in a more metal direction rather than the older proggy style of V or divine wings.

Offline jsem

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2011, 02:42:31 PM »
They did good with this album seeing how they are steering in a more metal direction rather than the older proggy style of V or divine wings.
Wut.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2011, 04:48:53 PM »
After 4 listens, I can't say it's a great album.  It's good, but I am a much, much bigger fan of proggy SX then heavy SX, and this album is basically all heavy all the time.

There are a lot of really great moments on this album, but there is a lot of stuff that sounds the same from song to song.  It seems like they stuck to the same formula in pretty much every single song.  Romeo's solo all sound similar in my opinion, but that may have to do with the fact that I'm not a particularly big fan of super-shred solos.

Just like Zook, I am an Iced Earth.....Fuck, and even this seems like they rehashed material way too much.

That being said, I do enjoy the album quite a bit.  But I can't put it anywhere near their top stuff because it follows very closely to Paradise Lost.

Iconoclast is a great song and a perfect opener to a SX album.  The best song on the album, by far, is When All is Lost.  This probably has more to do with the fact that it's the only song on the album that doesn't sound just like all the others.  It's like a ballad/proggy/shreddy mix, and a very refreshing break from 6 straight tracks of really heavy material.

Overall, honestly, I am disappointed by this Album.  I thought that after Paradise Lost SX would return to a more proggy sound, but they didn't.  At all.  Instead, it's a good album in the exact same vein as Paradise Lost, but nothing too special.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2011, 04:58:33 PM »
After 4 listens, I can't say it's a great album.  It's good, but I am a much, much bigger fan of proggy SX then heavy SX, and this album is basically all heavy all the time.

There are a lot of really great moments on this album, but there is a lot of stuff that sounds the same from song to song.  It seems like they stuck to the same formula in pretty much every single song.  Romeo's solo all sound similar in my opinion, but that may have to do with the fact that I'm not a particularly big fan of super-shred solos.

Just like Zook, I am an Iced Earth.....Fuck, and even this seems like they rehashed material way too much.

That being said, I do enjoy the album quite a bit.  But I can't put it anywhere near their top stuff because it follows very closely to Paradise Lost.

Iconoclast is a great song and a perfect opener to a SX album.  The best song on the album, by far, is When All is Lost.  This probably has more to do with the fact that it's the only song on the album that doesn't sound just like all the others.  It's like a ballad/proggy/shreddy mix, and a very refreshing break from 6 straight tracks of really heavy material.

Overall, honestly, I am disappointed by this Album.  I thought that after Paradise Lost SX would return to a more proggy sound, but they didn't.  At all.  Instead, it's a good album in the exact same vein as Paradise Lost, but nothing too special.

:lol oh me and my typos

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
In response to the negative criticism, at least we have more prominent keyboards on this album.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »
After 4 listens, I can't say it's a great album.  It's good, but I am a much, much bigger fan of proggy SX then heavy SX, and this album is basically all heavy all the time.

I don't get this sentence.  I hate splitting hairs over subgenres.  HOWEVER, to me, there is a pretty distinct difference between "prog metal" and "power metal" that most bands do not cross.  And I have NEVER considered SX to be prog metal.  At all.  Ever.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »

Overall, honestly, I am disappointed by this Album.  I thought that after Paradise Lost SX would return to a more proggy sound, but they didn't.  At all.  Instead, it's a good album in the exact same vein as Paradise Lost, but nothing too special.

They've moved on from the older sounds.

It was pretty much confirmed this was a heavy album like PL, and i'm suprised people thought otherwise.

The band are doing what they want to do, and they clearly enjoy making this type of music. I think those who disliked PL, will feel the same towards this album. I must be on my own because i'm not too bothered about the cleaner songs anymore. They've made plenty in the past.

This is a fantastic album, IMO. Bar one or two average songs. When All Is Lost is bound to be everyones favourite song if they arn't too fond of the current 'heavyness'. If anything, SX are proving the cleaner stuff is still there, and they're still got it; just not as much.

I really appreciate bands who say 'you know what, fuck it. we want to do it this way.' Good bands go through transitions and if their last 2 albums are not up to your high standards (and there's nothing wrong with that btw) then maybe this new 'change' just isn't for you. Personally, I love it. I absolutely fucking love their riffs.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more cleaner songs. But if it was a total reverse, with 1 heavy and the rest clean, I just wouldn't dig it as much. I genuinely believe PL and Iconoclast are 2 of their best albums. They have a very solid level of consistancy. More consistant than DT have been over the years, IMO.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
I don't get this sentence.  I hate splitting hairs over subgenres.  HOWEVER, to me, there is a pretty distinct difference between "prog metal" and "power metal" that most bands do not cross.  And I have NEVER considered SX to be prog metal.  At all.  Ever.
I think you're missing some of SX's key songs.

-The Accolade
-The Edge of Forever
-A Winter's Dream
-The Divine Wings of Tragedy
-Through The Looking Glass
-The Church of the Machine
-The Lady of the Snow
-Egypt
-Communion and the Oracle
-Rediscovery
-The Odyssey
-Awakenings
-The Accolade II
-Iconoclast (new)
-When All Is Lost (new)
-Reign In Teror (new)

These songs are about as Progressive as they get. A wide range of different sections, lots of diversity, varying atmospheres, complex song structures, 9-25 minute song lengths, complex techniques, Emphasis on synths and other non-metal instruments, variation between soft and heavy sections, unqiue sounding, and musical journey-type songs. These are songs just as progressive, if not more, than any Dream Theater song.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »
I like how a few days ago everyone in this thread gave me crap for saying I didn't like the album, and now it seems that everyone has the same opinion as me.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2011, 06:48:29 PM »
I like the album

Offline Ħ

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2011, 07:12:14 PM »
I don't know if I want to get the album or not.  I've sort of "moved on" from Symphony X.  They're great, for sure....but maybe just a little too cheesy for me nowadays. :dunno:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
I don't know if I want to get the album or not.  I've sort of "moved on" from Symphony X.  They're great, for sure....but maybe just a little too cheesy for me nowadays. :dunno:
ONE OF US. ONE OF US.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2011, 07:52:27 PM »

I don't get this sentence.  I hate splitting hairs over subgenres.  HOWEVER, to me, there is a pretty distinct difference between "prog metal" and "power metal" that most bands do not cross.  And I have NEVER considered SX to be prog metal.  At all.  Ever.

I think you're missing some of SX's key songs.

-The Accolade
-The Edge of Forever
-A Winter's Dream
-The Divine Wings of Tragedy
-Through The Looking Glass
-The Church of the Machine
-The Lady of the Snow
-Egypt
-Communion and the Oracle
-Rediscovery
-The Odyssey
-Awakenings
-The Accolade II
-Iconoclast (new)
-When All Is Lost (new)
-Reign In Teror (new)

These songs are about as Progressive as they get. A wide range of different sections, lots of diversity, varying atmospheres, complex song structures, 9-25 minute song lengths, complex techniques, Emphasis on synths and other non-metal instruments, variation between soft and heavy sections, unqiue sounding, and musical journey-type songs. These are songs just as progressive, if not more, than any Dream Theater song.

If the songs in Samara's list can't be considered progressive metal, then prog metal is a much, much more narrow genre then I currently see it as.  The Odyssey, The Accolade II, and The Edge of Forever are my three favorite Symphony X songs, and, imo, are very progressive songs (and are all on the list).  Yeah, they may have the power metal lyrics, and some orchestrated stuff that you normally would hear in a power metal song, but they definitely have very strong progressive elements.

But, I'm definitely not one to nitpick over genres either.  Simply put, I tend to enjoy the songs that are written in the same vein as the ones on Samara's list more then their heavy, Paradise Lost-esque riff storms. 

I was hoping there would be more of their "progressive" sound on this album, but unfortunately there is not. 

I gotta make it clear, though, that I do like this album quite a bit.....If I didn't I wouldn't have listened to it a fifth time today. Not to mention I enjoy all their other albums (except their self-titled).  I loved Paradise Lost, mainly because it was different then all their previous albums with its heavier sound.  I was just hoping that they wouldn't stick so closely to that same sound on Iconoclast.  It gets tiring and repetitive after a while, and a few slower or lighter or more atmospheric songs would have made the album much more diverse.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I listened to the first half of the title track and was like "this sucks, I'm done with this" or anything....I just was very excited for this album but was kinda disappointed.  For anyone who wanted them to stay with the Paradise Lost sound; you will love this album.  For anyone who likes Symphony X a lot, but prefers their older material; you'll enjoy the album, but probably not as much as, say, The Odyssey, V, TDWOT.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »

Cheese is delicious.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.